The Presidential Pardon thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Rip

Re: The Presidential Pardon thread

Post by Rip »

Umm, I just read it as not going to appoint a special prosecutor. I don't think it is an indication that FBI/DOJ or congressional investigation would be tossed to the side nor that he desired them to be.

That said I have no problem with people thinking that and deciding Trump isn't so bad after all.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Max Peck wrote:
" He predicted his supporters would not be disappointed because the Trump administration would "save our country" in other ways.
As the news spread, Trump supporters took to Twitter to calmly share their displeasure, voicing polite disagreement with Trump's decision to back away from one of his biggest campaign promises just two weeks after the election.
Even Breitbart, the alt-right, pro-Trump website that gave the president-elect favorable coverage and his new lead advisor, Steve Bannon, wasn't happy with the decision.
link
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Now that she lost she is no longer an imminent threat to the security of our country.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rip wrote:Umm, I just read it as not going to appoint a special prosecutor. I don't think it is an indication that FBI/DOJ or congressional investigation would be tossed to the side nor that he desired them to be.

That said I have no problem with people thinking that and deciding Trump isn't so bad after all.
How so? If anything, he's being consistent with the 85/15 lies-to-truth ratio Politifact tracked throughout the campaign. Who besides knucklehead Kool-aide drinkers think a president who lies 85% of the time isn't so bad?
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Jeff V wrote:
Rip wrote:Umm, I just read it as not going to appoint a special prosecutor. I don't think it is an indication that FBI/DOJ or congressional investigation would be tossed to the side nor that he desired them to be.

How so? If anything, he's being consistent with the 85/15 lies-to-truth ratio Politifact tracked throughout the campaign. Who besides knucklehead Kool-aide drinkers think a president who lies 85% of the time isn't so bad?
Priorities.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rip wrote:
Jeff V wrote:

Priorities.
It's funny if you imagine Alec Baldwin saying it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

President Obama Grants 153 Commutations and 78 Pardons to Individuals Deserving of a Second Chance
Today, President Obama granted clemency to 231 deserving individuals — the most individual acts of clemency granted in a single day by any president in this nation’s history. With today’s 153 commutations, the President has now commuted the sentences of 1,176 individuals, including 395 life sentences. The President also granted pardons to 78 individuals, bringing his total number of pardons to 148. Today’s acts of clemency — and the mercy the President has shown his 1,324 clemency recipients — exemplify his belief that America is a nation of second chances.
Enlarge Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Obama Surpasses Wilson's Commutation Record
Obama's commutation total is less impressive as a share of federal prisoners (less than 1 percent) or as a share of the petitions he has received (4.3 percent, which makes him much more merciful than his four most recent predecessors, substantially more merciful than Jimmy Carter, about as merciful as Gerald Ford, and less merciful than Richard Nixon). But it is remarkable that Obama managed as many commutations as he did, given his very slow start. He shortened just one sentence during his first term and just 21 during his first six years. More than 98 percent of his commutations were granted in the last two years of his administration, 87 percent of them since last March.

While presidents do tend to concentrate acts of clemency toward the end of their terms, nothing like Obama's wait-and-hurry-up pattern has ever been seen before. Clemency expert P.S. Ruckman Jr. calculates that Obama's fourth-year clemency surge in his current term is about 18 times as big as the presidential average. Another way of putting it: Obama has tried hard to make up for lost time.
Enlarge Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, rip, you should be happy.

Stripes
The White House says President Donald Trump has pardoned a Navy sailor who took photos of classified areas inside a submarine and served a year in federal prison.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders says Kristian Saucier was pardoned by Trump and said the president was "appreciative" of his service to the country.

Sanders says Saucier had been recognized by service members "for his dedication, skill and patriotic spirit."

The sailor pleaded guilty in 2016 to unauthorized detention of defense information for taking photos inside the USS Alexandria while it was stationed in Groton, Connecticut, in 2009.
I wonder what changed since June:
Trump's election brought hope to Saucier's family that the new president would pardon the sailor, but the administration denied a pardon request in June.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

It would be hilarious for Trump to create an official pardon for Hillary's email scandal. All in the name of moving on, of course. :pop:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Testing the waters.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Best take I've seen is that this is meant to send a signal to Manafort and Cohen and anyone else that he will pardon them for whatever.

Scooter Libby has no connection to Trump, and Trump is obviously no friend of the Bushes. There's no independent reason he would decide to pardon a Bush loyalist who had his sentence commuted years ago and who is now doing quite well as a lobbyist.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AP
[T]he Libby case has been criticized by conservatives, who argue he was the victim of an overly zealous and politically motivated prosecution by a special counsel. Another twist is that the special counsel, Patrick Fitzgerald, was appointed by James Comey, deputy attorney general at the time. Comey later became head of the FBI, but was fired by Trump, and has since written a book highly critical of the president.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

President Donald Trump on Tuesday commuted the sentences of two eastern Oregon ranchers serving time in federal prison for setting fire to public land in a case that inflamed their supporters and gave rise to the armed takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.
https://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-stand ... orego.html
malchior

Post by malchior »

Can you imagine if a non-white person did the same things and got a commutation/pardon? Neither can I because it wouldn't happen. Trump is fucking *dangerous*. Are people going to wake up to that reality?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If he's on your team, he's not dangerous he's MAGA.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

He is literally building a coalition the way a mob boss would. This is blindingly obvious at this point.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't know about this one. The judge gave them 5 years as it was the mandatory minimum. They argued to *someone* (article doesn't say) that it was unconstitutional and won and so they got 1 year. They served 1 year. After they got out, the prosecutors came back and said it wasn't unconstitutional and through appeals they had them return to jail for the rest of the term. They ended up serving about 3 years each. This was for burning 189 acres of federal grazing land.

Doesn't seem completely unreasonable to me.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Enough

Post by Enough »

Welcome to Bunndyville.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 pm I don't know about this one. The judge gave them 5 years as it was the mandatory minimum. They argued to *someone* (article doesn't say) that it was unconstitutional and won and so they got 1 year. They served 1 year. After they got out, the prosecutors came back and said it wasn't unconstitutional and through appeals they had them return to jail for the rest of the term. They ended up serving about 3 years each. This was for burning 189 acres of federal grazing land.

Edit: Removed confusing idiom. The bottom line is that the reasonableness of the commutation is part of the appeal. However, that isn't why he is doing it. He isn't a reasonable person but he'll find reasonable edge cases to make it appear so.
Last edited by malchior on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:03 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 pm I don't know about this one. The judge gave them 5 years as it was the mandatory minimum. They argued to *someone* (article doesn't say) that it was unconstitutional and won and so they got 1 year. They served 1 year. After they got out, the prosecutors came back and said it wasn't unconstitutional and through appeals they had them return to jail for the rest of the term. They ended up serving about 3 years each. This was for burning 189 acres of federal grazing land.

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?
Didn't think you'd be a fan of mandatory minimums.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?
Didn't think you'd be a fan of mandatory minimums.
My feelings on mandatory minimums has nothing to do with it. Everyone latching onto the false narrative that he spins to build his power base - I care about that a whole lot.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Edit: Removed confusing idiom. The bottom line is that the reasonableness of the commutation is part of the appeal. However, that isn't why he is doing it. He isn't a reasonable person but he'll find reasonable edge cases to make it appear so.
I think the reasonableness is exactly the point. Feel free to flip out when he does stupid stuff, but flipping out on the reasonable stuff makes the justified flip outs less noteworthy/effective.
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:09 pm

I think the reasonableness is exactly the point. Feel free to flip out when he does stupid stuff, but flipping out on the reasonable stuff makes the justified flip outs less noteworthy/effective.
The reasonableness is the cover. It is *obvious*. You think they picked this commutation out of the pile to show that they are reasonable? For godsakes man.

Edit: Blind "centrism" that ignored the narrative is literally what got us into this mess.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm sorry, I'm lost. I don't know what you're arguing. I'm saying the commutation was reasonable. That's it. I'm not saying this makes him a good president or upstanding human or that it makes me want to vote for him. Of the things to get worked up over, this is not one.
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 pm I'm sorry, I'm lost. I don't know what you're arguing. I'm saying the commutation was reasonable. That's it. I'm not saying this makes him a good president or upstanding human or that it makes me want to vote for him. Of the things to get worked up over, this is not one.
My argument is that if your test for things is pure reasonableness then you are missing the big picture. Small "reasonable" decisions that signaled aka dog whistled to voters where the politicians *really* stood got us to this moment in time.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Defiant wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:02 am
President Donald Trump on Tuesday commuted the sentences of two eastern Oregon ranchers serving time in federal prison for setting fire to public land in a case that inflamed their supporters and gave rise to the armed takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.
https://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-stand ... orego.html
You forgot the tease:

This week, on celebrity pardons...!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Yea, you should totally freak out over everything he does. As planned.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 pm I'm saying the commutation was reasonable. That's it.
Was the sentence commuted, or were they pardoned? There's a difference between making a statement that the sentence was too harsh or that they did nothing wrong.
stessier wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 pm Of the things to get worked up over, this is not one.
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Rip wrote:Yea, you should totally freak out over everything he does. As planned.
Pot. Kettle. White.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:36 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 pm I'm saying the commutation was reasonable. That's it.
Was the sentence commuted, or were they pardoned? There's a difference between making a statement that the sentence was too harsh or that they did nothing wrong.
I should have said this too. That it was a pardon only makes the point stronger. This was a clear message to his base.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Rip wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:31 pm Yea, you should totally freak out over everything he does. As planned.
Isn't planning to freak people out a shitty way to govern?
Enough

Post by Enough »

If you want to keep tabs on extremists, follow JJ MacNab.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rip

Post by Rip »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:32 pm
Rip wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:31 pm Yea, you should totally freak out over everything he does. As planned.
Not when you are freaking out the people who would do anything to prevent you from governing. It causes them to make all kinds of crazy predictions and show just how looney they can be.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Rip wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:14 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:32 pm
Not when you are freaking out the people who would do anything to prevent you from governing. It causes them to make all kinds of crazy predictions and show just how looney they can be.
Thanks. I knew that would be your answer.
Enough

Post by Enough »

These dumbfucks pardoned today started way more than one fire and many of them were started on Red Flag days and a number of them endangered fire fighters and other people using federal lands. Hammonds are also known child-abusers (they sandpapered off an initials tat on their son's chest to teach him a lesson). The 139 acre fire was from 2001 when they knowingly put a guide and his clients lives in danger all to cover up an illegal deer hunt on federal land; and we also know they aarsoned a bunch of fires on a Red Flag/fire ban day in 2006 that endangered fire fighters. What comes out is that we know specifically about these two main incidents, but it seems very likely from their own testimony that the Hammonds have been committing arson frequently for years on federal lands in the area in addition to taking down fencing and getting into regular threatening standoffs with wildlife refugee employees who feared for their lives.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The changed from commuted sentenced to pardon, why?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Enough wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:24 pm These dumbfucks pardoned today started way more than one fire and many of them were started on Red Flag days and a number of them endangered fire fighters and other people using federal lands. Hammonds are also known child-abusers (they sandpapered off an initials tat on their son's chest to teach him a lesson). The 139 acre fire was from 2001 when they knowingly put a guide and his clients lives in danger all to cover up an illegal deer hunt on federal land; and we also know they aarsoned a bunch of fires on a Red Flag/fire ban day in 2006 that endangered fire fighters. What comes out is that we know specifically about these two main incidents, but it seems very likely from their own testimony that the Hammonds have been committing arson frequently for years on federal lands in the area in addition to taking down fencing and getting into regular threatening standoffs with wildlife refugee employees who feared for their lives.
Well, the Congressman did say it was a "unique way of life in the high desert, rural West".
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Re: The Governor Pardon thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
More than 400 inmates in Oklahoma will be released Mondayafter a law signed this year retroactively reduced the sentences for individuals who committed low-level crimes.

The Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board approved the commutation of 462 inmates unanimously, and on Friday, Gov. Kevin Stitt’s office has processed the recommendations for final approval. It is the largest mass commutation – or reduction of a sentencing – in U.S. history.
In 2016, referendums passed in Oklahoma made simple drug possession a misdemeanor instead of a felony and raised the threshold of felony property crimes – including theft, vandalism, shoplifting and robbery – up to $1,000. Earlier this year, Stitt, a Republican, signed a law that would apply these changes retroactively for current inmates.
The board considered 814 eligible cases, and 527 were recommended for a lesser penalty given the severity of those crimes. Sixty-five of those individuals are still held on detainers.