Do taxpayers *always* have to pay for stadiums now?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Do taxpayers *always* have to pay for stadiums now?

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote:And honestly, with all the gambling/fantasy/excuse to booze that the NFL generates, they would probably still have huge revenue in small market cities.

I mean over 1/3 of the US to watch New England vs. Seattle in the Super Bowl. Heck, over 1/5th of Canada watched.
Maybe, but I'm not sure that revenue would exist if your home team was the Boise Boysenberries, 3 towns over.

But none of that matters because it would have to be a unified front, and there are too many politicians willing to buy the good will of their voters using public money. When voters are ok with that (see Stessier) well, it's not much of a decision.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:And honestly, with all the gambling/fantasy/excuse to booze that the NFL generates, they would probably still have huge revenue in small market cities.

I mean over 1/3 of the US to watch New England vs. Seattle in the Super Bowl. Heck, over 1/5th of Canada watched.
Maybe, but I'm not sure that revenue would exist if your home team was the Boise Boysenberries, 3 towns over.
If Tom Brady Jr. of the Boysenberries is the starting QB for your fantasy team, or your opponent's team, you'll watch. Or if he's throwing to your WR or TE. Etc.

Stat generation is rapidly eclipsing team fandom.
GreenGoo wrote:But none of that matters because it would have to be a unified front, and there are too many politicians willing to buy the good will of their voters using public money. When voters are ok with that (see Stessier) well, it's not much of a decision.
Of course. The best bang for your buck? Someone else's buck.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
theohall

Post by theohall »

No. Ask Stan Kroenke who is building a stadium with a private real estate group and zero state funding in LA. Eventually resulting in the Rams moving back.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Corporate welfare in action.
Governor Scott Walker’s fiscal conservatism will collide with the reality of sports-team subsidies when he commits Wisconsin taxpayers to pay $400 million for a new basketball arena.

At Wednesday’s signing, the Republican presidential candidate’s message of being a tightfisted taxpayer champion will be weighed against public costs spread over 20 years. The ceremony also may draw attention to the $200,000 that the co-owners of the National Basketball Association’s Milwaukee Bucks donated to a group backing his campaign.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:Corporate welfare in action.
Governor Scott Walker’s fiscal conservatism will collide with the reality of sports-team subsidies when he commits Wisconsin taxpayers to pay $400 million for a new basketball arena.

At Wednesday’s signing, the Republican presidential candidate’s message of being a tightfisted taxpayer champion will be weighed against public costs spread over 20 years. The ceremony also may draw attention to the $200,000 that the co-owners of the National Basketball Association’s Milwaukee Bucks donated to a group backing his campaign.
Setting aside the underlying policy merits for a minute - isn't this incredibly stupid and reckless for Walker when he's a plausible presidential contender right now? The attack ads practically write themselves, while if he vetoed the bill it would be a great public soap box to shout "fiscal accountability!"

I hardly think a $200,000 campaign contribution would make up for the mess he's creating for himself.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It makes you wonder if Walker has thrown in the towel already, or hopes this will be safely obscured by Trumpmania/Trumpmentum.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think the most credible explanation is that he actually believes it's good public policy, seeing as how it seems to so clearly clash with his political self-interest.

On the plus side, I imagine the resulting attack ads will help to further erode public support for stadium deals in the future.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: I hardly think a $200,000 campaign contribution would make up for the mess he's creating for himself.
Chances are that the $200K is just what is of public record. There were no doubt other...considerations.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
El Guapo wrote: I hardly think a $200,000 campaign contribution would make up for the mess he's creating for himself.
Chances are that the $200K is just what is of public record. There were no doubt other...considerations.
Walker's in tight with the Koch brothers, so it's hard to believe that he's getting enough to compensate for the political risks involved. If there's more than is of public record, that's a political bomb waiting to explode.
Black Lives Matter.
raydude

Post by raydude »

El Guapo wrote:I think the most credible explanation is that he actually believes it's good public policy, seeing as how it seems to so clearly clash with his political self-interest.

On the plus side, I imagine the resulting attack ads will help to further erode public support for stadium deals in the future.
If I were him I would have vetoed it. If the Bucks caved and stayed that would have been another feather in his cap "I took on the NBA and won!", while if they left I don't think there's any way the Bucks can leave before the start of the next NBA season. Thus he at least has the Bucks till April, at which point he'll either still be a Presidential contender (and the financial loss from the Bucks leaving might still be non-measurable) or not a Presidential contender, in which case he won't care. Win-win I say.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Walker's in tight with the Koch brothers, so it's hard to believe that he's getting enough to compensate for the political risks involved. If there's more than is of public record, that's a political bomb waiting to explode.
Many considerations are often future ones.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Many considerations are often future ones.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:Image
Do you have this bookmarked? :D
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:
Doubt the wisdom of that, do you?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

raydude wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I think the most credible explanation is that he actually believes it's good public policy, seeing as how it seems to so clearly clash with his political self-interest.

If I were him I would have vetoed it. If the Bucks caved and stayed that would have been another feather in his cap "I took on the NBA and won!", while if they left I don't think there's any way the Bucks can leave before the start of the next NBA season. Thus he at least has the Bucks till April, at which point he'll either still be a Presidential contender (and the financial loss from the Bucks leaving might still be non-measurable) or not a Presidential contender, in which case he won't care. Win-win I say.
If he's not a presidential contender, I would guess he wants to stay on as governor. Losing the Bucs would not help in that area.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:
raydude wrote:

If he's not a presidential contender, I would guess he wants to stay on as governor. Losing the Bucs would not help in that area.
He's already been re-elected and survived a recall, and probably won't run for a third term (if that's even possible in Wisconsin).
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:He's already been re-elected and survived a recall, and probably won't run for a third term (if that's even possible in Wisconsin).
Why wouldn't he run again? There is no term limit for the office. If he isn't running for president at that point, might as well keep the checks flowing until the next chance.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
raydude

Post by raydude »

stessier wrote:
El Guapo wrote:He's already been re-elected and survived a recall, and probably won't run for a third term (if that's even possible in Wisconsin).
Why wouldn't he run again? There is no term limit for the office. If he isn't running for president at that point, might as well keep the checks flowing until the next chance.
It may just be me but I'm willing to bet he doesn't want to run for governor again. Not after slashing U of Wisconsin's budget and that of his state's public school system. Seems like governors do stuff like that on their last term, especially when the fallout occurs after they are out of office.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote:
Moliere wrote:
Doubt the wisdom of that, do you?
The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. Young Scottwalker's ambition may be his downfall.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:clap:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Work or perk? U.S. Bank Stadium executives have free access to luxury suite seats
The government appointees who oversee U.S. Bank Stadium on behalf of taxpayers get a perk unavailable to most Minnesotans: free tickets to two lower-level luxury suites for all events held there. The suites are for marketing purposes but, they admit, friends and family are often in attendance.

Taxpayers covered almost $500 million of the $1.1 billion cost of the stadium, but the public cannot find out who gets those 36 suite seats each game. The Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority (MSFA) members decline to say who joins them for complimentary food, beer and, in some cases, free parking in the same lot reserved for Vikings players and coaches
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

San Diego voted down a proposal to raise tourism tax to pay for a stadium (huh?). Better than even money that the Chargers move to LA.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote:San Diego voted down a proposal to raise tourism tax to pay for a stadium (huh?). Better than even money that the Chargers move to LA.
I thought them moving to LA was a done deal.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

(Arlington) Texas Rangers
An Arlington proposition to help fund at least half of the new ballpark passed easily with the opposition conceding early in the evening. The deal will keep the Rangers in their original hometown through the team’s 82nd season, which would come in 2053.
The victory starts an aggressive timeline to retire Globe Life Park and get the Rangers in a new ballpark no later than 2021 and maybe as early as 2020.
The proposition was endorsed by most local officials and many notable names. But it also generated fierce opposition by those who thought it was too much money and also rejected claims that it was a 50-50 cost-sharing split and didn’t include new taxes.

The deal calls for the city to issue $500 million in bonds to help pay for the stadium. A half-cent of sales tax, 2 percent hotel occupancy tax and 5 percent car rental tax would pay off those bonds over an estimated 30 years.

Voters also approved a ticket tax of up to 10 percent and parking tax of up to $3 at the new stadium. That money would be used for some of the Rangers’ portion of the debt, which was criticized by the opposition campaign.
The Rangers have been playing at Globe Life Park — originally known as the Ballpark in Arlington — since April 1994.
Some of the pushback against a new stadium was related to the early retirement of Globe Life Park. The stadium has been well maintained and received about $50 million in upgrades and updates from the team starting after the 2010 season.

Depending on when the new stadium opens, Globe Life Park will be 26 or 27 years old when it hosts its final Major League Baseball games.

The Rangers and Arlington city officials have said that the current stadium will remain standing in some capacity, despite a new facility next door. Possible uses mentioned include office space as well as park and festival space on the field. There is no signed agreement to keep the stadium or its facade, however, and the Rangers could still decide to demolish it.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

What the hell?

Why are they retiring the current stadium? Is there anything wrong with it?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote:What the hell?

Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pretty much. Went to a game this year, and it's an excellent venue. Even better than when I compared it favorably to the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jeff V wrote:
Jaymann wrote:San Diego voted down a proposal to raise tourism tax to pay for a stadium (huh?). Better than even money that the Chargers move to LA.
It was, if the NFL had accepted the Raiders/Chargers plan where they were partners. But the NFL chose the Rams and the Chargers would only be tenants with no share of the stadium and they said no way.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
It was, if the NFL had accepted the Raiders/Chargers plan where they were partners. But the NFL chose the Rams and the Chargers would only be tenants with no share of the stadium and they said no way.
The Chargers are still likely to move to a different city, right? Might they move to Vegas?
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I don't think Vegas can support 2 teams.

I think that if they move out of San Diego the best spots are either another stadium in LA, a new stadium in the Bay Area, or maybe Portland.
Last edited by Pyperkub on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote:I don't think Vegas can support 2 teams.
Who is the other team? The Raiders? Is that definite?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:
No, it's not.

And the Chargers could still be moving to LA (presumably sans their current QB). It's all very up in the air at the moment.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote:
It's about as definite (for the Raiders moving) as it gets I think.
Last edited by Pyperkub on Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
No, it's not.

And the Chargers could still be moving to LA (presumably sans their current QB). It's all very up in the air at the moment.
Or Mexico City??
Black Lives Matter.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Summer in Texas is the main problem. Seats on the third base side of the stadium are brutal.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Fretmute wrote:

Summer in Texas is the main problem. Seats on the third base side of the stadium are brutal.
Oh, that's right. It's completely open air. I get that. Well, whomever decided on that in the first place should be footing the bill.

Don't do retractable roof though. It seems like a good idea, but totally not worth the expense. What happens (And we have two) is that the design prevents any air movement so the number of days you can actually open the stadium is about 25% what you could do if it were designed for air flow.

The Texans have the roof open once per year. The Astros stopped opening theirs in 2005.

Not that they'll ask you to architect it, but you can be sure that it's a money grab for the contractor.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

noxiousdog wrote:Not that they'll ask you to architect it, but you can be sure that it's a money grab for the contractor.
If they did, they'd get a giant tarp over the stadium they have. That's about the extent of my ability.