Airport Security Absurdity

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Airport Security Absurdity

Post by Holman »

The Preacher wrote: I gave up liberty for convenience at a cost of a few bucks. I did the now forsaken Clear program. Since I was traveling multiple times per month, the ability to skip most of the security lines was worth the "cost" of a retina scan, fingerprint and background check (oh and $200).
So *you're* the sleeper agent. Get him!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Paul Roberts wrote:You'll need to factor in the deterrent effect of airport security. Presumably there are people out there who would have committed attacks if they thought they had a 100% chance of getting their bomb onto the plane. No self-respecting terrorist wants to suffer a take-down at the x-ray machine.
Before youtube and last month, I would have thought no self-respecting terrorist would blow off his junk before meeting the virgins in heaven.
Paul Roberts wrote:There's also the fact that planes are an easy target: delicate machines with lots of potential victims packed tight together. A device that can bring down a plane doesn't need to be very large--apparently you can hide one in your underwear. The same device wouldn't do much more than wreck the lobby of a building, and it wouldn't even scratch the paint on a bridge.
Planes are targets of sensational opportunities. Public flights are more secure, but more troubling than private planes. The last private jet I flew in didn't have keys, but it wouldn't do spectacular damage unless you loaded tanks of gas onboard.

Still, I think a terrorist could inflict more economic and emotional damage over time by hacking the traffic systems in major cities, shutting off all of the stoplights at random. The only problem is that it'd get confused with vandalism, rather than having sensational consequences. Same thing with random shootings.

Bond villians usually failed because of their elaborate schemes and tendency to explain to the agent. Terrorists just skip the explanation part, and try to pull the trigger on the doomsday device already.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote:okay, this made me laugh
This was my favorite part:
404 Not Found

nginx
:lol:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I don't understand the need to give our liberties away to everyone else, or to curtail our liberties along with everyone else? :?:
two months
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Moliere wrote:
hepcat wrote:okay, this made me laugh
This was my favorite part:
404 Not Found

nginx
:lol:
7 years you waited for that to happen. I salute your patience and dedication to the long game!
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us