Arizona goes for two

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Remus West

Re: Arizona goes for two

Post by Remus West »

gbasden wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Scuzz wrote:Also, what does one do with a degree in (Black, Latino studies etc) except teach. I have no real arguement against them under normal conditions but when it comes to cutting basic ed classes or the "ethnic" studies classes I would vote to dump the latter.
What does one do with a degree in history? Philosophy? There are plenty of degrees out there with no direct application. Why target the ones founded on race. What about Women's Studies?
Strangely enough, most of the folks I know working in IT have some sort of liberal arts degree. I manage huge email server farms and my college degrees are in Political Science and History with an emphasis on the Soviet Union. You can see how I was prepared on day 1.
That was sort of my point. Few people I know actually work in a field directly related to their degree other than teachers.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote:That was sort of my point. Few people I know actually work in a field directly related to their degree other than teachers.

:oops: There was a point where 5 people who were at one point certified teachers were working in my office. The president of my company used to be teacher.

I find that medical and engineering students tend to go in their chosen fields as well as vocational/technical students.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I know a lot of Engineers that are not working in Engineering (although I will grant that most of them are math teachers so they are applying some of the knowledge learned during their engineering studies). I also know some people that studied for medical fields but did not go into them. Of course, those are the ones that did not finish. The ones that finish a medical degree do tend to work in that field. I was thinking mostly of undergrad degrees though and I consider medical to be graduate level usually.

I would expect that a much higher percentage of people with those degrees are working in their "field" due to the specific nature of the work.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote:
Remus West wrote:That was sort of my point. Few people I know actually work in a field directly related to their degree other than teachers.

:oops: There was a point where 5 people who were at one point certified teachers were working in my office. The president of my company used to be teacher.

I find that medical and engineering students tend to go in their chosen fields as well as vocational/technical students.
We should remember, too, that most professions don't have a particular degree track associated with them. While many highly technical fields do, many positions in law, media, administration, marketing, services, etc. etc. are full of folks with disparate humanities profiles.

It would be a shame if all education were chiefly job training. Not every businessman needs to be an accountant.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
A federal judge this week permanently barred Arizona from enforcing a 2010 law that banned a Mexican American studies program in Tucson schools. Earlier, he had determined the law was unconstitutional and that officials who pushed it had been “motivated by racial animus.”

A. Wallace Tashima, a U.S. circuit court judge sitting in a state district court, issued a ruling this week (see below) saying the state cannot enforce the law or threaten to punish the Tucson Unified School District for ignoring it. He ruled that officials cannot enforce because it

“was enacted and enforced, not for a legitimate educational purpose, but for (i) an invidious discriminatory racial purpose, and (ii) a politically partisan purpose – to shut down the [Tucson Mexican American studies program] – in violation of the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the Constitution.”

He also ruled that the state superintendent of public instruction and the Arizona State Board of Education are barred from requiring the Tucson district “to prepare or file any reports regarding whether any program, curriculum or course is in compliance” with the law, or conduct any audit or investigation to determine the same.

The program at issue was shut down in 2012 by the Tucson school board after threats by the state to withhold 10 percent of the funding it gave to the district’s schools, which amounted to more than $14 million. It is not clear whether the same program will be resurrected.
In the new decision, Tashima wrote that the state has to pay the legal fees of the plaintiffs, though the amount has to be determined.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Wed May 12, 2010 7:43 pm If a large number of people really do believe that any teaching of minority issues is inherently dangerous, then paranoia on the Right is farther along than we think.
Quoting myself from 7.5 years ago in this thread.

How young we were! How innocent!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.