No
12%
Not sure
12%

Total votes: 110

stessier

Re: will marijuana ever be legal???

Post by stessier »

Congrats! Hope it continues to help him.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Excellent news.

Crass joke about it being a gateway drug.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I can't understand how the US insists on keeping it Schedule 1, no recognized medicinal value. That's gotta fall pretty soon.

As to whether marijuana will ever be legal, not if MA has its way.
Attorney General Maura Healey is giving cities and towns more power to slow down the recreational marijuana industry, ruling that local officials can unilaterally prohibit cannabis companies for another year without polling residents.

The decision, approving an extension of Mansfield’s temporary moratorium on pot shops and other marijuana businesses through June 2019, was released Friday after questions from the Globe. It represents a reversal by Healey, as her office had previously said local freezes extending beyond Dec. 31 of this year were “longer than is reasonably necessary” and “could be viewed as unconstitutional.”

Now Healey believes municipalities deserve additional time to set up marijuana zoning rules.
We voted for legalization 20 months ago, and technically the first businesses can open in July...but good luck actually buying cannabis anywhere. Now it's gonna be another year or more before the industry can start to get traction in most of the state.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/monazhang/ ... 5e68753a7f

No summary. Just an editorial about Nevada's opening salvos on rec marijuana.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

OK voters pass a ballot initiative to legalize medical marijuana.

Governor says

“I respect the will of the voters in any question placed before them to determine the direction of our state. It is our responsibility as state leaders to look out for the health and safety of Oklahoma citizens. As I mentioned in previous public comments, I believe, as well as many Oklahomans, this new law is written so loosely that it opens the door for basically recreational marijuana. I will be discussing with legislative leaders and state agencies our options going forward on how best to proceed with adding a medical and proper regulatory framework to make sure marijuana use is truly for valid medical illnesses.”
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ontario to allow private retailers to sell cannabis, province will handle online sales
Ontario's Progressive Conservative government announced Monday it will allow recreational pot to be sold in retail stores while the province will handle online sales.

Minister of Finance Vic Fedeli and Attorney General Caroline Mulroney laid out the government's plan for a hybrid system in an announcement Monday at Queen's Park, stressing their priorities would be ensuring public safety and eliminating the black market.

"The government of Ontario will not be in the business of running physical cannabis stores," said Fedeli. "Instead we will work with private-sector businesses to build a safe, reliable retail system that will divert sales away from the illegal market."

Starting Oct. 17, the province will introduce a system for online sales through the Ontario Cannabis Store (OCS) to meet the federal government's requirements that provinces be ready for retail sales by that date. The government will then launch a consultation process with the aim of introducing a private retail model by Apr. 1.
Pot shift leaves cities dazed and confused (Kudos to whoever wrote that headline.)
The Progressive Conservative government's decision to upend the model for selling cannabis just two months before legalization has left Ontario municipalities hungry for details about the much bigger role they may suddenly play in the private pot market.

The government announced Monday private retailers will be allowed to sell marijuana starting April 1, 2019, while the province will handle online sales of the drug starting this Oct. 17.

City officials who run everything from zoning and bylaw to policing and public health were anticipating cannabis would be sold in much the same way liquor sales are controlled across the province by the LCBO.

Mathieu Fleury, a downtown councillor who's been dealing with illegal dispensaries in his Rideau-Vanier ward for the last couple of years, said he felt like he knew what he was getting under the old scheme.

"Now they're essentially putting all the pressures on Ontario municipalities," Fleury said.

​Fleury said Monday's announcement of the new retail model left him with more questions than answers.

"It does feel a bit off the cuff, [like they're] not really strategically thinking about some of those issues," he said.
I'm not surprised that Ford is tearing up the previous governments plans, but I guess we're lucky that Trump-lite is just delaying things instead of finding some way to block it outright.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:00 pm Pot shift leaves cities dazed and confused (Kudos to whoever wrote that headline.)
not really

this was much better (one of the videos in your link) :
City mulls its budding role in sale of cannabis
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Coca-Cola is considering getting back to it's roots.
Coca Cola Co (KO.N) said on Monday it was closely watching the growing marijuana-infused drinks market, responding to a media report that the world’s largest beverage maker was in talks with Canada’s Aurora Cannabis Inc (ACB.TO).

The discussions over a possible product tie-up, reported by Canadian financial channel BNN Bloomberg, could open a new front in Coke’s battle to overcome sluggish demand for its sugar-heavy sodas by diversifying into coffee and health-focused drinks.

The report said there was no guarantee that talks between the companies would be successful but Aurora shares responded by soaring 22 percent. Coke stock gained slightly on a New York market weakened by concerns over trade tariffs.

The marijuana industry has been attracting interest from a handful of big corporate names as Canada and a wave of U.S. states move to legalize recreational use of the drug.

However, U.S. corporations are still cautious about taking steps into a business that remains illegal under U.S. federal law.

Both Coke and Aurora, in separate statements, said they were interested in cannabidiol infused beverages but could not comment on any market speculation.

Coke and Aurora would likely develop beverages that will ease inflammation, pain and cramping, the BNN report said, citing sources familiar with the matter

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I can't believe I'm not investing in this market.

I couldn't pick a winner if I tried, and the market is going to be volatile for awhile.

Any funds covering this, Max?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm not invested in them, but there are marijuana ETFs, such as HMMJ, out there.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:48 pm I'm not invested in them, but there are marijuana ETFs, such as HMMJ, out there.
I thought there might be.

Too risky now that you're retired? Not your cup of tea?

Presumably this would be like investing in a booze ETF shortly after prohibition was rescinded, no? It's gonna be the wild west for awhile with many companies coming and going, but in the end there has to be major growth opportunities, I would think.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:00 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:48 pm I'm not invested in them, but there are marijuana ETFs, such as HMMJ, out there.

Presumably this would be like investing in a booze ETF shortly after prohibition was rescinded, no? It's gonna be the wild west for awhile with many companies coming and going, but in the end there has to be major growth opportunities, I would think.
I doubt that it is likely to be all that risky, unless maybe you invest in individual companies instead of something like an ETF, given that we know that there is going to be a healthy demand. I'm just too lazy to bother shifting my investments around. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:06 pm
I doubt that it is likely to be all that risky, unless maybe you invest in individual companies instead of something like an ETF, given that we know that there is going to be a healthy demand. I'm just too lazy to bother shifting my investments around. :lol:
Well that's the whole point of an ETF, which is why I asked if there was one. You had expressed interest in the product and various aspects of the fledgling industry before.

It's not like I've got any money to spare. I just feel like once everything is in place we won't be going back, and clearly, there is a large demand which will probably go up once it's legalized.

I can't help but feel I'm missing out on the birth of an entire industry. It may be too late to get in on the ground floor, but it's still early compared to what it will be like in 10-20 years (20 years is too far out for me, but not 10).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Took a bit longer than anticipated, but it looks like it's happening sooner that later in NJ:
Essentially, the bill would legalize the possession and personal use of small amounts of marijuana for people at least 21 years old. It also would create, regulate and tax a commercial marijuana industry in the state.

f the bill is approved the way it's written, New Jerseyans would pay perhaps the lowest marijuana tax in the country: 10 percent.

Business with a marijuana retail license would be able to apply to have a consumption space on the same premises as, but separated from, their dispensary. Retailers would have to get local approval for the consumption space in addition to getting permission from the state, the bill says.

People in New Jersey could soon be getting marijuana delivered, as the bill allows for weed deliveries. Businesses with a marijuana retail license would be able to get permission from the state to deliver cannabis products to customers.

As much as some marijuana advocates want to be able to grow at home, this bill does not allow home-grow.
When?
While the bill would immediately make legal the possession and personal use of small amounts of marijuana, it would take several months before the commercial industry could get up and running.

The bill says the commission would have 180 days to adopt rules and regulations, including the number of licenses it would issues. After the rules are adopted, the commission must start accepting applications for licenses within 30 days, and approving or denying those applications within an additional 30 days.

The commission then would be required to issue licenses 30 days after approval. Once a cultivation business has its license, it would be free to start growing marijuana, but it would take a few months to harvest the plants.

It's probably safe to say that if this bill passes, the commercial market will be up and running in about a year.
From our Governor:
Murphy said during an unrelated news conference on Tuesday that his administration has "not hardened a position on taxes."

“We typically don’t talk about legislation while they’re getting baked,” the Democratic governor said. “We’re not ruling anything out. We want to get it right.”
Are we still doing phrasing?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

It’s ironic New Jersey would have the lowest tax rate in anything.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Maybe NJ will beat MA to market. Nearly two years after we passed legalization, no shops have opened yet...and when they finally do start cropping up, they will be few and far between.

In more positive news, a state CU has agreed to provide banking services to the cannabis industry so it won't be strictly cash-and-carry.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That banking bit is a huge deal.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:06 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:00 pm

It turns out that I'm not quite as lazy as I thought. Making a note to ask couple-of-years-in-the-future-me whether taking a position in weed was a good idea.

If nothing else, it gives me a fresh excuse for not traveling to the US. Instead of saying "Why would I want to go to that fascist dystopian shithole?" I can say "I'm not allowed to enter that fascist dystopian shithole."

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Good stuff. And good luck. I'll try to remember that I didn't have much choice instead of kicking myself for not joining you.

Are you willing to tell us what you bought and at what price? If not that's completely cool, I'd just like to play along vicariously. We don't need to know how much you invested.

If you do give us some details, maybe put it in the investment thread in general? Just an idea. Obviously do what you like, I'm just asking out of interest and if it's not something you're comfortable with, I completely understand.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It better be legal in CA since I have 6 little plants sprouting up. Strangely, I'm not really that interested in smoking it, I am more into the horticultural experience that I have been denied for the last 40 years.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im starting to think 'no' on will it be legal here. In my state of bumblefuck TN we dont want anything good if it conflicts with the past brainwashing we soaked in. Also God might kill us even though he supposedly gave us the plant. Stupid damn state. I mean the entire south wont allow it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:44 am Im starting to think 'no' on will it be legal here. In my state of bumblefuck TN we dont want anything good if it conflicts with the past brainwashing we soaked in. Also God might kill us even though he supposedly gave us the plant. Stupid damn state. I mean the entire south wont allow it.
It's turning into just another front in the cultural divide between red and blue states. If the coming civil war divides along state lines again, red will have the advantage because blue won't want to harsh our buzz.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:44 am Im starting to think 'no' on will it be legal here. In my state of bumblefuck TN we dont want anything good if it conflicts with the past brainwashing we soaked in. Also God might kill us even though he supposedly gave us the plant. Stupid damn state. I mean the entire south wont allow it.
Get out and vote!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

With the laws likely changing in NJ over the next year, there's been about 30 towns in NJ that have already outlawed recreational use and grow operations. Taxpayers should look forward to lawsuits, at least based on similar tactics I've seen when towns try to legislate morality. The smart ones will use zoning regulations, but I'm not convinced they'll hold. Regardless, the pearl-clutchers feel better when their local officials pass useless regulations as they're convinced allowing people to have easy, legal access to jazz cigarettes will completely ruin idyllic NJ life.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

We have don't get high and drive TV ads paid for by the federal government.

If anything drives home the reality of legalization, those do. They aren't don't do drugs, or careful, drugs are dangerous. They are *when* you smoke don't get behind the wheel.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

More than 1/3 of MA cities and towns have already banned the cannabis trade, with more lined up to do so. Last week the first retail shops finally got licensed. They have a few more hoops to jump through, but should be able to open their doors in November, two full years after legalization passed. And they're in the underpopulated middle of the state (a.k.a. "Kelric country"). I still don't know when or where one will open that's convenient to me. The black market doesn't have much to worry about. I'd still like to buy weed legally once just for the novelty, but I don't see it ever becoming a real competitor in price or convenience...at least not for quite some time.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:05 pm More than 1/3 of MA cities and towns have already banned the cannabis trade, with more lined up to do so. Last week the first retail shops finally got licensed. They have a few more hoops to jump through, but should be able to open their doors in November, two full years after legalization passed. And they're in the underpopulated middle of the state (a.k.a. "Kelric country"). I still don't know when or where one will open that's convenient to me. The black market doesn't have much to worry about. I'd still like to buy weed legally once just for the novelty, but I don't see it ever becoming a real competitor in price or convenience...at least not for quite some time.
It’s not even legal here (medical is legal though) and there are two stores within 4 blocks of me. That I know of. I thought they were tea stores at first, there might be more hiding under the tea. :oops:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:45 am
Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:05 pm More than 1/3 of MA cities and towns have already banned the cannabis trade, with more lined up to do so. Last week the first retail shops finally got licensed. They have a few more hoops to jump through, but should be able to open their doors in November, two full years after legalization passed. And they're in the underpopulated middle of the state (a.k.a. "Kelric country"). I still don't know when or where one will open that's convenient to me. The black market doesn't have much to worry about. I'd still like to buy weed legally once just for the novelty, but I don't see it ever becoming a real competitor in price or convenience...at least not for quite some time.
It’s not even legal here (medical is legal though) and there are two stores within 4 blocks of me. That I know of. I thought they were tea stores at first, there might be more hiding under the tea. :oops:
I remember those days, with clinics pumping out prescriptions for any reason. And the dispensaries behind unmarked doors...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

To answer the OP: Yes. The day is here.

Enlarge Image

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Tons of emails and such coming out of the schools telling us all about how everything is still banned on school grounds and how there is nothing to worry about and here's a link to public health info sessions and such.

I'm pretty meh about the whole thing, from the context of my kids' and their schools.

a) legal age is 19, same as booze
b) if kids are smoking at my kids' schools, legalizing it won't change that.
c) if kids are not smoking at my kids' schools, legalizing it won't change that.

That's pretty much it.

I am seeing an increased number of health articles in my google news feed about *new* studies that show how marijuana has all these serious health consequences. Ok, good to know, thanks. I'll take it into consideration if I ever start to heavily smoke it. Or even rarely smoke it. Currently I have no plans to touch it, although I have a couple of co-workers that weren't shy about talking about their smoking days which always seem to be some hazy, indeterminate distance in the past. I assume they'll start smoking it (or start smoking it more regularly).

It's kind of exciting, and I fully support the decision, but it impacts me not at all.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The entrepreneurial spirit in action:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A much better season than the February sales we get here.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm seeing anti recreation legalization billboards popping up in front of the election. I'm surprised. I literally don't know a single person across the political spectrum against legalization here. I'm sure there will be a fair number of prohibitionist votes but I can't see this being anything other than a landslide, like 70-30 style.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

If Schuette gets elected and Prop 1 passes expect to see him do all he can to neuter the proposal promptly after 45 days.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Starting to see articles with the title "Can conservatives roll back the legality of marijuana?"

So...that's fun.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:11 am To answer the OP: Yes. The day is here.

Enlarge Image
Hopefully all the snowbirds from Canada take a pillbilly home with them from Florida under each wing next spring. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Americans support legalizing marijuana cause they're experiencing a record high.

Oh wait, that should be legalizing marijuana is experiencing a record high support from Americans. Whatever.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Mexican Supreme Court Issues Binding Ruling Against Pot Prohibition
Yesterday the Supreme Court of Mexico issued two more rulings against marijuana prohibition, which means courts throughout the country will now be bound by the conclusion that prosecuting people for consuming cannabis is inconsistent with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

According to a summary from the court, "The fundamental right to the free development of the personality allows persons of legal age to decide—without any interference—what kind of recreational activities they wish to carry out and protects all the actions necessary to materialize that choice." While "it was clarified that this right is not absolute and that the consumption of certain substances could be regulated," the court added, "the effects caused by marijuana do not justify an absolute prohibition on its consumption."
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow