Smoove_B

Re: will marijuana ever be legal???

Post by Smoove_B »

Here you go tgb - start looking at convention centers to book. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw online where CA i think it was is ready to price pot so high with taxes that the black market will be the place to buy it. A $35 bag that gives you 5 or 6 rolled joints will go up to $50+ and a bag of cutting that usually is $7 for a garbage bag full and used by the edibles sellers will go to $44 lb. That will just make that stuff worthless.

EDIT: Also I love that name..Gov FlipFlop..lolz.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:49 pmA $35 bag that gives you 5 or 6 rolled joints will go up to $50+
Sure but how many joints are there in a lid?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So is it legal to buy in Colorado and bring back to CA?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

I wouldn't think so. Crossing state lines is a federal issue and we all know how Sessions feels about it.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:46 pm So is it legal to buy in Colorado and bring back to CA?
No.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Meal wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:39 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:46 pm So is it legal to buy in Colorado and bring back to CA?
No.
...reminds me of a story someone once told about CO plates driving into MI. :mrgreen:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:49 pm Saw online where CA i think it was is ready to price pot so high with taxes that the black market will be the place to buy it. A $35 bag that gives you 5 or 6 rolled joints will go up to $50+ and a bag of cutting that usually is $7 for a garbage bag full and used by the edibles sellers will go to $44 lb. That will just make that stuff worthless.

EDIT: Also I love that name..Gov FlipFlop..lolz.
In WA it took a couple of years, but you can now get run of the mill weed for less than black market, and can still pay a lot more for really top tier stuff. And being able to buy by the gram is really nice.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 pm
No.
...reminds me of a story someone once told about CO plates driving into MI. :mrgreen:
Figured I had some cred for that answer. :mrgreen:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

The Meal wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:31 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 pm
No.
Figured I had some cred for that answer. :mrgreen:
I don't know if you've had the chance to meet my buddy that lives in Aurora but he makes and sells consumables. When I talked to him about his business he told me the challenging part was not being able to ship product across state lines - even from legal state to legal state. So he had to open production anywhere he wanted to sell. The recipe can cross state lines but not the product.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Liberals reach deal with the provinces on sharing pot tax revenue, with price pegged at about $10 a gram
Agreement gives provinces 75% of tax revenues from legal cannabis sales, caps federal share at $100M

Finance Minister Bill Morneau has worked out a deal on sharing pot tax revenues, and says marijuana will be competitively priced at about $10 a gram to shut down the black market.

An agreement announced Monday gives the provinces and territories 75 cents of every dollar collected in excise tax levied on cannabis for the first two years. That's a significant increase from the 50-50 split the federal government had proposed last month.

Under the deal reached during a meeting in Ottawa with Morneau and his provincial and territorial counterparts, the federal portion of tax revenues will be capped at $100 million a year. That figure is based on a projected $400 million a year in total tax revenue, with any dollars collected above and beyond that shared by the provinces.

"After two years, it's time to rethink the approach to make sure we're getting it right," Morneau said.

Finance ministers agreed on a plan to keep the price low to drive out the illegal black market and move to a legal, regulated one. With one dollar, or 10 per cent taxation per gram, the expectation is that legal marijuana will be priced at about $10 a gram with all taxes included.
Mind you, that's 10 Canabucks/gram, so about $7.80 in real money. I have no idea what the going rate is on the street.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:25 am Liberals reach deal with the provinces on sharing pot tax revenue, with price pegged at about $10 a gram
Agreement gives provinces 75% of tax revenues from legal cannabis sales, caps federal share at $100M

Finance Minister Bill Morneau has worked out a deal on sharing pot tax revenues, and says marijuana will be competitively priced at about $10 a gram to shut down the black market.

An agreement announced Monday gives the provinces and territories 75 cents of every dollar collected in excise tax levied on cannabis for the first two years. That's a significant increase from the 50-50 split the federal government had proposed last month.

Under the deal reached during a meeting in Ottawa with Morneau and his provincial and territorial counterparts, the federal portion of tax revenues will be capped at $100 million a year. That figure is based on a projected $400 million a year in total tax revenue, with any dollars collected above and beyond that shared by the provinces.

"After two years, it's time to rethink the approach to make sure we're getting it right," Morneau said.

Finance ministers agreed on a plan to keep the price low to drive out the illegal black market and move to a legal, regulated one. With one dollar, or 10 per cent taxation per gram, the expectation is that legal marijuana will be priced at about $10 a gram with all taxes included.
Mind you, that's 10 Canabucks/gram, so about $7.80 in real money. I have no idea what the going rate is on the street.
Down here 3.5 grams is still roughly $40. Naturally you'll pay less buying larger quantities.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I know nothing about this stuff. How much is typically used in a joint?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

2 grams of you're doing it right.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

tjg_marantz wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:11 am 2 grams of you're doing it right.
"You're doing it right" is a well respected brand.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Damn swipe typing.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

tjg_marantz wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:44 pm Damn swipe typing.
Or did you accidentally use 3 grams?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

stessier wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:28 am I know nothing about this stuff. How much is typically used in a joint?
About a lid.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Legal Weed Isn’t The Boon Small Businesses Thought It Would Be
The business of selling legal weed is big and getting bigger. North Americans spent $6.7 billion on legal cannabis last year, and some analysts think that with California set to open recreational dispensaries on Jan. 1 and Massachusetts and Canada soon to follow, the market could expand to more than $20.2 billion by 2021. So it’s no surprise that you see eager business people across the country lining up to invest millions of dollars in this green rush.

But here’s a word of warning for those looking to dive head-first into these brand-new legal weed markets: The data behind the first four years of legal pot sales, with drops in retail prices and an increase in well-funded cannabis growing operations, shows a market that increasingly favors big businesses with deep pockets. As legal weed keeps expanding, pot prices are likely to continue to decline, making the odds of running a profitable small pot farm even longer.

Washington offers a cautionary tale for would-be pot producers. The state’s marijuana market, for which detailed information is available to the public, has faced consistent declines in prices, production consolidated in larger farms and a competitive marketplace that has forced cannabis processors to shell out for sophisticated technology to create brand new ways to get high.

“A lot of people (in Washington) are surprised, and a lot of people are in denial about the price dropping,” said Steven Davenport, a researcher with the RAND Corporation. “The average price per gram in Washington is about $8, and it’s not clear where the floor is going to be.”
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Will small pot farmers get their own Willie Nelson Farm Aid concerts?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I suspect once the markets settle down a bit, and more importantly once the federal laws loosen up a bit, there will be room for cheaper, mass produced pot, and smaller "artisan" pot growers.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

It's very hard to control the growing environment in large-scale grows without using chemicals and techniques that many people, especially medical users, find less than satisfactory.

While there will always be a market for boutique strains and organic, even vegan, grown crops these may be legislated out of existence.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

MA is officially still on track to begin retail sales in July, so at least one thing about 2018 isn't going to suck. Meanwhile, more than half of MA's cities and towns have banned recreational sales and production, including my own and all of the surrounding towns. I live close enough to Boston to journey into the city, but it's not exactly convenient, and there will be large weed deserts throughout the Commonwealth. I expect that the black market will continue to serve the legally underserved areas, especially if (as seems likely) they set the price too high.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Today Sessions rescinded the Obama era memo that kept federal prosecutors in check regarding marijuana prosecutions in states where it is legal. It is now up to each prosecutor on how vigorously they want to uphold the federal ban.

This is going to be a mess with a huge human cost.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

It will be a mess but it probably won't be that bad - good luck prosecuting a majority of the cases with absolutely no local law enforcement support. They'll get big players...maybe...but again absolutely no local support at all will hamper that too.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:33 pm It will be a mess but it probably won't be that bad - good luck prosecuting a majority of the cases with absolutely no local law enforcement support. They'll get big players...maybe...but again absolutely no local support at all will hamper that too.
Local cops are easily bribed with new toys and money from the federal government.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
stessier

Post by stessier »

As usual, Popehat is all over it.

Hmmm, considering the topic, I probably should have rephrased that.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Vermont Is About to Become the Ninth State to Legalize Recreational Marijuana
Vermont will become the ninth state to legalize marijuana for recreational use if Gov. Phil Scott signs a bill that was approved today by the state Senate, which he has indicated he will do. The bill will make Vermont the first state to allow recreational use through the legislature rather than a ballot initiative.

H. 511, which the state House of Representatives passed last week, allows adults 21 or older to possess up to an ounce of marijuana (currently a civil offense punishable by a fine up to $500) and grow up to six plants, two of them mature, at home. Growing one or two plants is currently a misdemeanor, while growing more than that is a felony.

Vermont joins Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington in legalizating nonmedical use of marijuana. Unlike the legalization initiatives in those states, Vermont's law does not allow commercial production and distribution for the recreational market. Scott, a Republican elected in 2016, has appointed a commission to study that issue.
Like same sex marriage, eventually enough states will pass these laws, forcing the federal government to catch up.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Maybe not. Marriage is a traditionally state based right backed by the Full Faith and Credit in the Constitution, and Supreme Court decisions overturning bad state action.

A cascade of state legalization may symbolize a change in the political winds, but they're very different legally.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
Texas Wesleyan University says it is investigating after a controversial email was sent to a possible recruit from the school's head baseball coach.

The email was sent from Mike Jeffcoat's university email account:

"Thanks for the interest in our program. Unfortunately, we are not recruiting players from the state of Colorado. In the past, players have had trouble passing our drug test. We have made a decision to not take a chance on Student-athletes from your state. You can thank your liberal politicians. Best of Luck wherever you decide to play."
A university spokesman confirmed the existence of the email to the Houston Chronicle. The university said in a statement that it doesn't condone discrimination, including on the basis of the "political legislation of one's home state."

NBC 5 spoke with Texas Wesleyan students as well who think the coach's actions amount to discrimination. They worry it could reflect badly on their school.

Texas Wesleyan University responded with the following statement:
We are aware of the email sent by our baseball coach, and the comments he made are in no way a reflection of Texas Wesleyan University, its values or its recruiting practices.

This is a personnel matter and it is currently under investigation. It is our University policy to not discuss personnel matters, but we want to reiterate that this email does not reflect our values and we do not condone discrimination. This includes discrimination on the basis of race, color, origin, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, disability or sexuality; or the political legislation of one’s home state. We are committed to providing an inclusive campus for all of our students, faculty, staff, visitors, potential students and their families.

Texas Wesleyan has a long tradition of excellence in athletics and we are committed to recruiting student-athletes who will excel at our university. Like the NAIA’s core values, we are focused on building and recruiting champions of character.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

They keep coming out of the closet don't they.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ABC News
Texas Wesleyan University -- a private liberal arts university in Fort Worth -- announced Thursday that head baseball coach Mike Jeffcoat was "no longer an employee" after the contents of the email he sent to the high school senior went public.
"This university and its athletic program does not discriminate on the basis of the public policy of any state," Texas Wesleyan University President Fred Slabach said in a press conference Thursday. "We look at the individual student. We care about those students."

In addition, a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics violation "took place under Jeffcoat's watch," a school statement read, but it did not disclose the details of the violation due to the ongoing investigation. The university self-reported the violations, which have to do with player eligibility, to the NAIA.
Bell's former high school baseball coach, Allan Dyer, told KMGH that he decided to make Jeffcoat's email public after he said he complained to the university and did not receive a response. Dyer described Bell as a "great kid" and a leader both on and off the field.
The university received Dyer's email on Monday afternoon, and it immediately triggered an investigation into Jeffcoat, John Veilleux, Texas Wesleyan University vice president for marketing and communications, told ABC News.

Jeffcoat is a former pitcher for Major League Baseball, ESPN reported.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced a new bill on Monday that would legalize hemp as an agricultural product.

The Hemp Farming Act of 2018 would legalize hemp, removing it from the federal list of controlled substances and allowing it to be sold as an agricultural commodity, according to WKYT.
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... al-product
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Shocking exactly no one, opioid use lower in states where marijuana is available.
Medical marijuana appears to have put a dent in the opioid abuse epidemic, according to two studies published Monday.

The research suggests that some people turn to marijuana as a way to treat their pain, and by so doing, avoid more dangerous addictive drugs. The findings are the latest to lend support to the idea that some people are willing to substitute marijuana for opioids and other prescription drugs.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trouble right now is no one but the user pays for it. Insurance and Medicare take care of meds but doubt they will weed.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:28 pm Shocking exactly no one, opioid use lower in states where marijuana is available.
Medical marijuana appears to have put a dent in the opioid abuse epidemic, according to two studies published Monday.

The research suggests that some people turn to marijuana as a way to treat their pain, and by so doing, avoid more dangerous addictive drugs. The findings are the latest to lend support to the idea that some people are willing to substitute marijuana for opioids and other prescription drugs.
Y'know what would amplify that effect? Insurance coverage for cannabis. I gotta think that a non-trivial number of people allowed to choose a Rx for a covered drug vs. a non-covered drug will opt for the covered drug out of simple financial necessity. Just one more good reason to end federal prohibition.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

In any other form but smoked I'd agree. The stench of marijuana is horrific and as someone who lives in multi-unit dwellings I can't even imagine what would happen if it were paid for by insurance and/or the government. I live in a "smoke free building" and still people smoke. I know most if not all states where it legal now, allow buildings to set no smoking policies, but if it were fully accepted as medication to the point where insurance covered it, I suspect there would be major pressure to remove those policies.

My nose can't take it.

Please just eat it!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Sure, 420 Money Helped Inspire John Boehner’s Belated Cannabis 180, but It’s Still Worth Applauding
After years of being “unalterably opposed” to the legalization of cannabis, former Republican speaker of the House and Ohio congressman John Boehner has changed his mind.

Earlier today, Boehner said “my thinking on cannabis has evolved” and announced his new role on the board of advisers of a large if little-known American cannabis company called Acreage Holdings, previously known as High Street Capital Partners, which holds plant-touching licenses in 11 U.S. states. Acreage also announced that former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld will join its board of advisers, and both Boehner and Weld have committed to join Acreage’s board of directors once it is formed.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Second Cup wants to convert some coffee shops into pot dispensaries
Second Cup wants to serve up a different kind of buzz by converting some of its coffee shops into cannabis dispensaries and, when legal, pot lounges.

Shares in the Canadian restaurant operator rose as much as 31 per cent before closing up 28.73 per cent at $3.54 on Thursday after it announced that it has signed an agreement with marijuana clinic operator National Access Cannabis to develop and operate a network of recreational pot stores.

However, neither currently has a licence to sell marijuana, so the deal is contingent on approval from the government, as well as from franchisees and landlords.
This seems like a natural fit.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Anything to break the Tim Horton's stranglehold, eh?