Senate votes to repeal don't ask don't tell

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Lee

Re: Senate votes to repeal don't ask don't tell

Post by Lee »

El Guapo wrote:
Lee wrote:On Monday I have a few a people to talk to who claimed they would retire if this ever happened. Now we have to deal with how we are going to get separate bathrooms and dorms for them all.
I thought the Pentagon report concluded that they wouldn't create separate facilities?
No idea, just going off of coworkers comments who seem to think they may be raped in the restroom.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

From the Pentagon report:
Here again, we are convinced that separate bathroom facilities would do more harm than good to unit cohesion and would be impracticable to administer and enforce. Concerns about showers and bathrooms are based on a stereotype—that gay men and lesbians will behave in an inappropriate or predatory manner in these situations. As one gay former Service member told us, to fit in, co-exist, and conform to social norms, gay men have learned to avoid making heterosexuals feel uncomfortable or threatened in situation such as this. The reality is that people of different sexual orientation use shower and bathroom facilities together every day in hundreds of thousands of college dorms, college and high school gyms, professional sports locker rooms, police and fire stations, and athletic clubs.
I'm not sure they rule it out entirely, but from the report it seems extremely unlikely that they will have separate facilities.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Separate bathroom facilities would require that people out themselves as gay, which isn't in the policy.

If the real world can get along with two sets of bathrooms, so can the USMC.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Grundbegriff wrote:As I skim this thread, I can feel my IQ dropping.
It's ok, you have plenty to spare :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

naednek wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:As I skim this thread, I can feel my IQ dropping.
It's ok, you have plenty to spare :P

He's going to be commenting by posting pictures of dogs playing poker by the end of the week.
Popehat, a blog.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

This won't help - Patrick Buchanan reacts to DADT repeal
“Don’t ask, don’t tell” is to be repealed. Open homosexuals are to be welcomed with open arms in all branches of the armed services.

Let us hope this works out better for the Marine Corps than it did for the Catholic Church.
:shock: :roll: :grund:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm pretty sure Buchanan is now so marginalized as to be safely ignored.
Black Lives Matter.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Exodor wrote:This won't help - Patrick Buchanan reacts to DADT repeal
“Don’t ask, don’t tell” is to be repealed. Open homosexuals are to be welcomed with open arms in all branches of the armed services.

Let us hope this works out better for the Marine Corps than it did for the Catholic Church.
:shock: :roll: :grund:
Hopefully, if any of the homosexuals abuse fellow soldiers, the Marine Cops will not simply move them to different units and cover up their records.
Popehat, a blog.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I was listening to a local Christian/political talk radio show yesterday, and the host was going on and on about how repealing DADT makes us more like the Nazis. Because apparently the Nazis were all homosexuals and the whole movement was dedicated to forwarding "their homosexual agenda."

I was under the impression that the Nazis' homosexual agenda had a lot in common with the Nazis' Jewish agenda, but this guy seemed awfully convinced.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Holman wrote:I was listening to a local Christian/political talk radio show yesterday, and the host was going on and on about how repealing DADT makes us more like the Nazis. Because apparently the Nazis were all homosexuals and the whole movement was dedicated to forwarding "their homosexual agenda."

I was under the impression that the Nazis' homosexual agenda had a lot in common with the Nazis' Jewish agenda, but this guy seemed awfully convinced.
Maybe the guy read this anti-homosexual revisionist book.

Article about the book:
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/i ... king-myths#" target="_blank
For decades now, "Holocaust revisionists" in the U.S. and Europe have published pseudo-scholarly papers and books claiming to prove that the Nazis never carried out a systematic extermination of Jews. In 1995, a book called The Pink Swastika made similar claims about the Nazis' treatment of homosexuals during the Holocaust.
Written by fundamentalist activists Scott Lively and Kevin Abrams, The Pink Swastika says that rather than being victimized by the Nazis, gay men in Hitler's inner circle actually helped mastermind the Holocaust.

"While we cannot say that homosexuals caused the Holocaust, we must not ignore their central role in Nazism," write Lively and Abrams. "To the myth of the 'pink triangle' — the notion that all homosexuals in Nazi Germany were persecuted — we must respond with the reality of the 'pink swastika.'"

Historians agree that this "reality" is utterly false. But many anti-gay crusaders have used the "gay Nazi" myth as proof that gay people are immoral and destructive.

"When lawlessness is abroad in the land, the same thing will happen here that happened in Nazi Germany," Pat Robertson once warned viewers of his 700 Club. "Many of those people involved with Adolf Hitler were satanists. Many of them were homosexuals. The two seem to go together."

The Pink Swastika has been promoted by anti-gay groups like the Family Defense Council. The FDC's Dr. Howard Hurwitz called the book "a thoroughly researched, eminently readable, demolition of the 'gay' myth, symbolized by the pink triangle, that the Nazis were anti-homosexual."
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Amazon reader comments on that book are priceless in an utterly nauseating sort of way.
tripcrow

Post by tripcrow »

If they fully integrate, as they just about have to given the negative connotation the word segregation now has, and us having a black president, substantial trouble shouldn't show up for 5-10 years. By then it'll be so accepted that any study, if studies on the subject will be politically allowed, showing it was a bad idea will be treated the same way the fuckup with the lesser integration of women is treated. More technological dependence coming your way.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

tripcrow wrote:If they fully integrate, as they just about have to given the negative connotation the word segregation now has, and us having a black president, substantial trouble shouldn't show up for 5-10 years. By then it'll be so accepted that any study, if studies on the subject will be politically allowed, showing it was a bad idea will be treated the same way the fuckup with the lesser integration of women is treated. More technological dependence coming your way.
:pop:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

One group opposed to DADT repeal:
"The armies of other nations...could allow homosexuals to serve in their military because we didn't allow them to serve in ours...We will no longer able to bail out these other emasculated armies because ours will now be feminized and neutered beyond repair, and there is no one left to bail us out."

— American Family Association's Bryan Fischer
Good stuff. I don't think anyone's accused the IDF of being "emasculated" or "neutered" before. :)
Black Lives Matter.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

tripcrow wrote:If they fully integrate, as they just about have to given the negative connotation the word segregation now has, and us having a black president, substantial trouble shouldn't show up for 5-10 years. By then it'll be so accepted that any study, if studies on the subject will be politically allowed, showing it was a bad idea will be treated the same way the fuckup with the lesser integration of women is treated. More technological dependence coming your way.
What the... I don't even...

what?
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I didn't know Sarah Palin posted on these boards. :) My favorite part is the "More technological dependence coming your way" at the end, which doesn't seem to have anything to do with anything. The *only* way I can make sense of it - is he implying that the military will fall apart because of this, ultimately leading to relying on robots to fight our wars?
Black Lives Matter.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

El Guapo wrote:I didn't know Sarah Palin posted on these boards. :) My favorite part is the "More technological dependence coming your way" at the end, which doesn't seem to have anything to do with anything. The *only* way I can make sense of it - is he implying that the military will fall apart because of this, ultimately leading to relying on robots to fight our wars?
Clearly he's assuming that all homosexuals are androids.

I mean, did you even watch Star Trek:TNG? Data is obviously a plant by supporters of the homosexual agenda.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Those cylons are some subtle bastards.
tripcrow

Post by tripcrow »

Ya we're not militarily dependent on technology now. Let's see. We have no opposition in the air. We have no opposition on the sea. We spend more than all the other militaries in the world combined. Our enemy has no real industry, no armored units, wears street clothes into combat, and we're at it with damn near all we can muster for 10 years. We are no where near any kind of victory that'll let us get out with whatever kind of phony dignity that is required by those that need it. But you all think that your politically shaped unisex gay integrated military is the answer as to what is wrong.

It ain't so much that you've played so many video games that you believe the female warrior BS. It's that at your age between sex and worrying about being cool and socially accepted you poor creatures, or NPCs whichever the case may be, can't think straight.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

tripcrow wrote:Ya we're not militarily dependent on technology now. Let's see. We have no opposition in the air. We have no opposition on the sea. We spend more than all the other militaries in the world combined. Our enemy has no real industry, no armored units, wears street clothes into combat, and we're at it with damn near all we can muster for 10 years. We are no where near any kind of victory that'll let us get out with whatever kind of phony dignity that is required by those that need it. But you all think that your politically shaped unisex gay integrated military is the answer as to what is wrong.

It ain't so much that you've played so many video games that you believe the female warrior BS. It's that at your age between sex and worrying about being cool and socially accepted you poor creatures, or NPCs whichever the case may be, can't think straight.
Tripcow have you been off your meds. I mean seriously you have gone off on some rather incoherent rants as of late. I'm not even sure what the point of the quoted post was. I just can't follow where you are trying to go with what you are saying and I'd like to at least consider your points if you can make them clear enough for me to understand.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Next up: Repeal DOMA
"Repealing DOMA, getting ENDA [a bill to protect LGBT people from discrimination] done, those are things that should be done," Obama told The Advocate the night before signing Don't Ask, Don't Tell repeal into law. "I think those are natural next steps legislatively. I'll be frank with you, I think that's not going to get done in two years. We're on a three- or four-year time frame unless there's a real transformation of attitudes within the Republican caucus."

"I have a whole bunch of really smart lawyers who are looking at a whole range of options," Obama said. "My preference wherever possible is to get things done legislatively because I think it gains a legitimacy, even among people who don't like the change, that is valuable."

"So with 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell,' I have such great confidence in the effective implementation of this law because it was repealed [legislatively]. We would have gotten to the same place if the court order had made it happen, but I think it would have engendered resistance," he added. "So I'm always looking for a way to get it done if possible through our elected representatives. That may not be possible in DOMA's case. That's something that I think we have to strategize on over the next several months."
He still won't go on record as supporting anything beyond civil unions, though. :roll:
tripcrow

Post by tripcrow »

Arcanis, In general by integrating gays into the service now we risk a very serious chance of causing major morale and personal problems that make us more dependent on technology than we already are and therefor weaker. I don't know if the ability to envision those problems is because so many people that support this have never served, or served in a job like capacity, and have no idea what it is like or because they hold their social cause above the well being of the servicemen.
The NPC stuff refers to another thread and is just mutual ball busting.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Has letting gays play made the NFL Weaker? Or as someone else pointed out, the IDF? I've worked with a lot of openly gay men and women and let me tell you getting past all the raping was tough but the reacharound left me a stronger person.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

What I want to know is whether anyone said good-bye to the other members of our club before we left. Did we try to explain ourselves? Or did we just coldly walk out the door, abandoning them as we foolishly join the ranks of historically puny military nations like Israel, Russia, and Germany?

Did anyone say goodbye to Cuba? Did we sit with Iran for a while and try to make them understand? Did we spare a thought, a kind word, for Syria? Did we talk with Turkey? Console Pakistan? Soothe the wayward princes of Nigeria? What about our staunch friends in Saudi Arabia? I know they are busy stoning adulteresses and cutting hands of thieves, but did we tell them that we were once proud to stand with them? What about North Korea? They'll be so ronrey. What about Yemen? WILL NO ONE THINK OF YEMEN?

Oh, God, what about the St. Kits? What are we going to tell the Kits?
Popehat, a blog.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Mr. Fed wrote:What I want to know is whether anyone said good-bye to the other members of our club before we left. Did we try to explain ourselves? Or did we just coldly walk out the door, abandoning them as we foolishly join the ranks of historically puny military nations like Israel, Russia, and Germany?

Did anyone say goodbye to Cuba? Did we sit with Iran for a while and try to make them understand? Did we spare a thought, a kind word, for Syria? Did we talk with Turkey? Console Pakistan? Soothe the wayward princes of Nigeria? What about our staunch friends in Saudi Arabia? I know they are busy stoning adulteresses and cutting hands of thieves, but did we tell them that we were once proud to stand with them? What about North Korea? They'll be so ronrey. What about Yemen? WILL NO ONE THINK OF YEMEN?

Oh, God, what about the St. Kits? What are we going to tell the Kits?
:lol:

Awesome.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

tripcrow wrote:Arcanis, In general by integrating gays into the service now we risk a very serious chance of causing major morale and personal problems that make us more dependent on technology than we already are and therefor weaker. I don't know if the ability to envision those problems is because so many people that support this have never served, or served in a job like capacity, and have no idea what it is like or because they hold their social cause above the well being of the servicemen.
Gotcha. I see your point on that. I disagree that it will cause a dramatic enough shift in enlistment to force us to rely more on technology than man power. I still think we are headed that way but for various other reasons. While I haven't served I do have family and friends that do. None of them are all that concerned about it and they don't see anyone in their respective units bitching about it either.
Combustible Lemur wrote:Has letting gays play made the NFL Weaker? Or as someone else pointed out, the IDF? I've worked with a lot of openly gay men and women and let me tell you getting past all the raping was tough but the reacharound left me a stronger person.
Are there any openly gay NFL players? That could be interesting to see how other players react.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Your military is doomed. Welcome to the commie ranks comrades! Or is it Mein Herr?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Too slow, old man. Too slow.
Popehat, a blog.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Mr. Fed wrote:Too slow, old man. Too slow.
I r slow readings. :doh: :cry:
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

tjg_marantz wrote:
Mr. Fed wrote:Too slow, old man. Too slow.
I r slow readings. :doh: :cry:
awww
come here
/hug
Isgrimnur wrote:
tripcrow

Post by tripcrow »

If Martin Luther King was correct, and I believe he was, when he said, “OF ALL THE FORMS OF INEQUALITY, INJUSTICE IN HEALTH CARE IS THE MOST. SHOCKING AND INHUMANE.” How is it some Republicans can vote to deny people health care, but vote for something questionable like this? How is it some Democrats can stand against equal health care, vote to force people to buy a product, and then vote for this? Watch and see how many will be all ready to forgive Joe? What a set of priorities some of you people have.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

I may be missing something. Do gays in the military need more or less health care?
Popehat, a blog.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I will never be able to forgive Joe.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Joementum finally came through. 8-)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

tripcrow wrote:Arcanis, In general by integrating gays into the service now we risk a very serious chance of causing major morale and personal problems that make us more dependent on technology than we already are and therefor weaker. I don't know if the ability to envision those problems is because so many people that support this have never served, or served in a job like capacity, and have no idea what it is like or because they hold their social cause above the well being of the servicemen.
Not buying this whatsoever. There is no evidence of the British or Canadian military being weaker because they allow gays to serve openly. The same things were said about African Americans in the military decades ago, and our military is stronger for allowing them to serve, and no, we didn't need segregated facilities then, and we don't now.

Does that mean that there are no racists in the armed forces now? No. And it won't mean there won't be homophobes in the armed forces.

Our armed forces will actually become stronger for this, in part because of living up to the ideals of this country.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I think I've figured out why tripcrow's posts in this thread are so out of touch with reality:

He's posting from an alien planet, where gays actually are an organized, destructive force.

This should make further miscommunication in this thread easier to deal with.
Insert witty comment here.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

TiLT wrote:I think I've figured out why tripcrow's posts in this thread are so out of touch with reality:

He's posting from an alien planet, where gays actually are an organized, destructive force.

This should make further miscommunication in this thread easier to deal with.
I c wat you did here.
Isgrimnur wrote:
tripcrow

Post by tripcrow »

And now God has punished the blackbirds for this:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/1 ... 07559.html" target="_blank
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dallas Voice
Brian Alvarado, husband of U.S. Navy servicemember Matthew Alvarado, has been named Armed Forces Insurance’s “Navy Spouse of the Year,” the first same-sex spouse named as a branch winner in the program’s 11-year history.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Wow. Nice. Assuming he's a good spouse. :wink: