New Egyptian Unrest: Tunisia Part II?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Enough

New Egyptian Unrest: Tunisia Part II?

Post by Enough »

So, nearly 100,000 Egyptians pledged on Facebook to turn out for a "day of revolution" to mark a national holiday. And today hundreds of thousands have indeed come out into the streets for protest and it's getting dicey. The president's son and family have apparently fled to the UK

There are also some twitter and facebook feeds to follow. You can find some feeds and more on the scene testimony in these Reddit threads here and here.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rip

Re: New Egyptian Unrest: Tunisia Part II?

Post by Rip »

Wikileaks has turned the world upside down.

:ninja:
Holman

Post by Holman »

So is this more like "Down with Ahmadinejad" or "Down with the Shah"?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote:So is this more like "Down with Ahmadinejad" or "Down with the Shah"?
It's not exactly like either. The Egyptian President (dictator) is a secular dictator mostly aligned with the U.S., so in that sense it's like down with the Shah (though he's not a monarchist).

Beyond that, if the uprising succeeds in bringing him down (and that's still a huge if at this point) whether it goes in an Islamist dictatorship or democratic governance remains to be seen. My understanding is that (although I don't know much about Tunisia at all) the Islamist opposition is much more organized and constitutes much more of the opposition in Egypt than it does in Tunisia (where, apparently, the main Islamist opposition group was exiled some time ago and is believed to be pretty weak). So I think the odds of Egypt going in an Islamist direction is higher than Tunisia's, though it's all pretty uncertain.

Egypt going to an Islamist dictatorship, incidentally, would be an epically bad thing, though at least we'd save on all the foreign aid we give them currently.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enough wrote:So, nearly 100,000 Egyptians pledged on Facebook
Have we annointed Mark Zuckerberg as King of All the World yet?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

I noticed that a few couldn't help clapping when President Obama said facebook during The State of the Union address.

:roll:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Enough wrote:The president's son and family have apparently fled to the UK
That would seem to be a unconfirmed rumor. I've not seen a major new org reporting this yet.

In fact it seems to be a circular reference. The article you linked to says the Arab website reported an Italian new publication saying Mubarak's son fled, while if you go to the Italian website they say the Arab website reports he left. They seem to be citing each other :)
Last edited by Grifman on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Rip wrote:Wikileaks has turned the world upside down.

What's Wikileaks have to do with this?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Grifman wrote:

Well many claim they were responsible for the turmoil in Tunisia.
Publication of WikiLeaks sourced private US comments on the corruption and nepotism of a hated "sclerotic" regime is said to have helped create Tunisia's protest, and generated talk by US commentators of a "Wikileaks revolution".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ja ... ghannouchi

So if the Tunisia unrest spawned the Egyptian unrest it stands to reason wikileaks will be credited with that as well.

Now I am not saying "I" believe that, but a number of people do. I would have to agree they have as much right to claim credit for these events as Al Gore does to claiming credit for the internet.

Rip
Rip

Post by Rip »

Rip wrote:
Grifman wrote:

Well many claim they were responsible for the turmoil in Tunisia.
Publication of WikiLeaks sourced private US comments on the corruption and nepotism of a hated "sclerotic" regime is said to have helped create Tunisia's protest, and generated talk by US commentators of a "Wikileaks revolution".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ja ... ghannouchi

So if the Tunisia unrest spawned the Egyptian unrest it stands to reason wikileaks will be credited with that as well.

Now I am not saying "I" believe that, but a number of people do. I would have to agree they have as much right to claim credit for these events as Al Gore does to claiming credit for the internet.
There were a substantial amount of released documents that did nothing to endure the Egyptian people to their government as well.
The Brotherhood now has a new trove of information to mine. For example, a February 2009 cable from Margaret Scobey, the U.S. ambassador in Cairo, to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton describing intelligence sharing between Egypt and Israel may add further credence to allegations that cooperation between the two states led to an Israeli hit on a Palestinian target in Gaza earlier this month — something Egypt vehemently denies. Potentially more damning is a June 2009 cable from the U.S. embassy in Tel Aviv, which reveals that Egypt had been consulted about Israel's air and land assaults on Gaza prior to the attack the previous winter.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 93,00.html

Rip
Enough

Post by Enough »

Grifman wrote:
That would seem to be a unconfirmed rumor. I've not seen a major new org reporting this yet.

In fact it seems to be a circular reference. The article you linked to says the Arab website reported an Italian new publication saying Mubarak's son fled, while if you go to the Italian website they say the Arab website reports he left. They seem to be citing each other :)
You can read the Reddit threads I posted, congrats. :wink:

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Enough wrote:
Grifman wrote:

Yep, read them, still nothing confirmed so I'm not sure what your point is?
Enough

Post by Enough »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Enough wrote:So, nearly 100,000 Egyptians pledged on Facebook
Have we annointed Mark Zuckerberg as King of All the World yet?
This is the evolution of Tiananmen, we now have Facebook, Twitter, flickr, meta sites like Reddit, etc... the word gets out easier than ever before. I think that's a good thing on balance, even if Zuckerberg gets his overly inflated ego stroked a bit.

Enough

Post by Enough »

Grifman wrote:
Enough wrote:
Grifman wrote:

I figured you picked up it was unconfirmed from one of the other links I posted and didn't mention that. It was a throwaway comment on my part, my apologies.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Enough wrote: This is the evolution of Tiananmen, we now have Facebook, Twitter, flickr, meta sites like Reddit, etc... the word gets out easier than ever before. I think that's a good thing on balance, even if Zuckerberg gets his overly inflated ego stroked a bit.
I fully expect Zuckerberg to make a Dissent Management Package available to repressive governments in exchange for their whole economy's personal data.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote:
Enough wrote: This is the evolution of Tiananmen, we now have Facebook, Twitter, flickr, meta sites like Reddit, etc... the word gets out easier than ever before. I think that's a good thing on balance, even if Zuckerberg gets his overly inflated ego stroked a bit.
I fully expect Zuckerberg to make a Dissent Management Package available to repressive governments in exchange for their whole economy's personal data.
By then his site will likely be totally irrelevant for pro-democracy movements. Shelf-life for social media is very short it seems.

Meanwhile in Cario it continues.

And also, I don't mean to oversell the value of social media for encouraging freedom around the world. We all thought China would change just by being exposed to social media, but so far it seems to have little effect. And then there's this story on how,
Far from being a tool of revolution in Iran over the last year, the Internet, in many ways, just complicated the picture.
But it is fascinating to watch history being made regardless.

Enough

Post by Enough »

The ever-amazing Big Picture has a feature up on the unrest.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Enough wrote:The ever-amazing Big Picture has a feature up on the unrest.
This one's my favorite...

Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Enough wrote:
Grifman wrote:
Enough wrote:
Grifman wrote:

I figured you picked up it was unconfirmed from one of the other links I posted and didn't mention that. It was a throwaway comment on my part, my apologies.
No problem. I didn't read the Reddits until later, after I had posted.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Now unrest erupts in Yemen.
Enough

Post by Enough »

And the Ripster's Wikileaks theory is getting traction in Foreign Policy.
In one fell swoop, the candor of the cables released by WikiLeaks did more for Arab democracy than decades of backstage U.S. diplomacy.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just to be clear, this Wikileaks angle isn't some oddball theory that Rip came up with. It's been widely reported in, say, the New York Times and other major media outlets. In Tunisia, for example, the protests have mentioned leaked cables that implicated the ruling family in widespread corruption.

It's more or less beyond dispute that the Wikileaks releases have contributed to the unrest in the Arab world. What's unclear, and probably can't really be determined, is how significant that contribution is. It's certainly possible that events would have unfolded almost the same as they have even absent Wikileaks, but Wikileaks has had a role here.
Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

El Guapo wrote:Just to be clear, this Wikileaks angle isn't some oddball theory that Rip came up with. It's been widely reported in, say, the New York Times and other major media outlets. In Tunisia, for example, the protests have mentioned leaked cables that implicated the ruling family in widespread corruption.

It's more or less beyond dispute that the Wikileaks releases have contributed to the unrest in the Arab world. What's unclear, and probably can't really be determined, is how significant that contribution is. It's certainly possible that events would have unfolded almost the same as they have even absent Wikileaks, but Wikileaks has had a role here.
Only because they stole it right out of my head. Not to worry though, I found a guide for making a tin-foil hat on the internet. My thoughts are private once again. My thanks to Al Gore.

Rip
Enough

Post by Enough »

El Guapo wrote:Just to be clear, this Wikileaks angle isn't some oddball theory that Rip came up with. It's been widely reported in, say, the New York Times and other major media outlets. In Tunisia, for example, the protests have mentioned leaked cables that implicated the ruling family in widespread corruption.
I guess a winking emoticon was called for in my previous post. Foreign Policy isn't some oddball source, that's for sure.

Enough

Post by Enough »

Rip wrote:

Only because they stole it right out of my head. Not to worry though, I found a guide for making a tin-foil hat on the internet. My thoughts are private once again. My thanks to Al Gore.

Rip
:twisted: :lol:

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote:Now unrest erupts in Yemen.
The unrest in Yemen is a little unsettling insofar as I think the most likely outcome if the Yemeni government falls is a radical islamist dictatorship a la the Taliban regime.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote:
The unrest in Yemen is a little unsettling insofar as I think the most likely outcome if the Yemeni government falls is a radical islamist dictatorship a la the Taliban regime.
Yes, I think that would be bad news. Sometimes we need these lousy dictatorships.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ImLawBoy wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Yes, I think that would be bad news. Sometimes we need these lousy dictatorships.
No good choices there for sure. Yemen isn't going to bloom into a Jeffersonian democracy overnight.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Two Somalias right across the gulf from each other. Lovely.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Well some might be so delusional as to give credit to someone having their mouthpiece give a speech many years ago.
But the spark for this wave of revolutions may have started during the Bush administration when Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice gave a seminal speech at the American University in Cairo:
"For 60 years, the United States pursued stability at the expense of democracy in the Middle East -- and we achieved neither," Rice argued during her 2005 speech which came across as a direct challenge to the Mubarak regime, a regime that receives billions of dollars in U.S. foreign aid, the second highest after Israel.
"Now, we are taking a different course. We are supporting the democratic aspirations of all people."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01 ... ra-sparks/

Rip

Post by Rip »

Some liberal paper should counter it giving credit to Clinton or Carter.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

Kraken wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Two Somalias right across the gulf from each other. Lovely.
Maybe they'll just fight each other.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Rip wrote:Well some might be so delusional as to give credit to someone having their mouthpiece give a speech many years ago.
But the spark for this wave of revolutions may have started during the Bush administration when Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice gave a seminal speech at the American University in Cairo:
"For 60 years, the United States pursued stability at the expense of democracy in the Middle East -- and we achieved neither," Rice argued during her 2005 speech which came across as a direct challenge to the Mubarak regime, a regime that receives billions of dollars in U.S. foreign aid, the second highest after Israel.
"Now, we are taking a different course. We are supporting the democratic aspirations of all people."

I thought the conservative talking point was that Obama might give a good speech (with the obligatory teleprompter remark) but that giving good speeches doesn't ultmately do anything - you need to be a man of deeds. I guess that's different now?

Anyhow, FWIW I do give the Bush administation credit for pushing freedom over stability more than previous administrations in foreign affairs. Though it's a little far-fetched to attribute all of this to one specific freedom-related speech over five years ago.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:Some liberal paper should counter it giving credit to Clinton or Carter.
and then fox should counter that.

it's a vicious cycle....
Covfefe!
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

El Guapo wrote:
Rip wrote:Well some might be so delusional as to give credit to someone having their mouthpiece give a speech many years ago.

I thought the conservative talking point was that Obama might give a good speech (with the obligatory teleprompter remark) but that giving good speeches doesn't ultmately do anything - you need to be a man of deeds. I guess that's different now?

Anyhow, FWIW I do give the Bush administation credit for pushing freedom over stability more than previous administrations in foreign affairs. Though it's a little far-fetched to attribute all of this to one specific freedom-related speech over five years ago.
Unless I missed something, I read it to say that the POLICIES she was speaking about was the spark, not the actual speech itself?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msduncan wrote:
El Guapo wrote:

Unless I missed something, I read it to say that the POLICIES she was speaking about was the spark, not the actual speech itself?
The article is a little vague on that point. I do give the Bush administration credit for pushing freedom as a more important factor in U.S. foreign policy (I think I just posted this in another thread, so apologies for the redundancy), so to the extent that its policies did so I do give it credit.

There's also the X factor in terms of what effect the Iraq War and consequent Iraqi democratization efforts have had on the unrest, which would be hard to pin down.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Egyptian government shut down their internets.
In response to increasing civil unrest, the Egyptian government appears to have disabled almost all Internet connectivity with the rest of the world. The Internet's global routing table, which is used by Internet routers to determine where to send traffic, has had virtually every Egypt-bound route withdrawn, giving the Internet traffic no path either into or out of the country.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:shock:
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

From Al Jazeera's excellent live blog.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just an aside, but while perusing the pictures on Al Jazeera's site, I could not find any photos of protesters which included women in them. I wonder if they're being told explicitly to stay out of this by their peers.
Covfefe!