Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

The Global Warming Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

Re: The Global Warming Thread

Post by Defiant » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:07 pm

How about this?

(And that one's bipartisan - I would imagine there are more partisan ones.)
Last edited by Defiant on Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Defiant wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:07 pm
How about this?

(And that one's bipartisan - I would imagine their are more partisan ones.)
More analysis on that one. Thanks.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Zaxxon wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:43 am
I don't like it either, and I don't like some of the non-AGW pieces of the proposed deal. But the larger point of that tweet resonates--what other on-scale proposals by politicians in power have you seen? Please share them.
Sure, but that's like saying the president has a good idea so we should ignore "Not a fan of non-white people" at the end of his speech. The point being, why provide a distraction from the message for people to latch on to?

We can both agree that it isn't important, but I think it's annoying and unnecessary, and particularly unwarrantedly arrogant.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:43 pm

GreenGoo wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:40 pm
We can both agree that it isn't important, but I think it's annoying and unnecessary, and particularly unwarrantedly arrogant.
We can agree on the entirety of your statement. In some ways AOC reminds me of Elon Musk--I like what she's trying to do, but she frequently likes to get into her own way.

Kurth

Post by Kurth » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:45 am

GreenGoo wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:43 am
I don't like it either, and I don't like some of the non-AGW pieces of the proposed deal. But the larger point of that tweet resonates--what other on-scale proposals by politicians in power have you seen? Please share them.
Sure, but that's like saying the president has a good idea so we should ignore "Not a fan of non-white people" at the end of his speech. The point being, why provide a distraction from the message for people to latch on to?

+1

Her arrogance bugs me, too, but Incould probably get over that if her policy proposals were grounded and solid. They aren’t, and the combination of arrogance and her shitty GND drives me insane.
The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it -- John Gilmore

Kurth

Post by Kurth » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:47 am

Zaxxon wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:43 pm
GreenGoo wrote:
We can agree on the entirety of your statement. In some ways AOC reminds me of Elon Musk--I like what she's trying to do, but she frequently likes to get into her own way.
Whoa. Elon Musk has his issues, but he’s no AOC. Please remind me of AOC’s major achievements to date. Maybe I’m missing some important stuff.
The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it -- John Gilmore

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:56 am

Kurth wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:43 pm
GreenGoo wrote:
Whoa. Elon Musk has his issues, but he’s no AOC. Please remind me of AOC’s major achievements to date. Maybe I’m missing some important stuff.
I'm not talking about achievements but rather propensity to get in one's own way. Musk is a master of that. And I say that as a huge Musk fan who has followed his companies obsessively for many years.

malchior

Post by malchior » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:54 am

LA Times
For the first time since forecasters began recording data — at least 132 years — the mercury did not reach 70 degrees in downtown Los Angeles for the entire month of February.

The average high for the month was 61 degrees, significantly lower than the historical average of 68 for February. That makes it the eighth-coldest February on record, said Ryan Kittell, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Oxnard.

“Most of the time we’ll get one or two Santa Ana wind events in between the rain that would give us temperatures above 70 degrees,” he added. “But it’s just been back-to-back storms and no offshore flows.”

It’s a big change for Southern California, where temperatures having been rising to record levels in recent years along with a prolonged drought. Weather experts said the chilly February doesn’t signal a larger change in some of those trends.

Even factoring in the cold snap, California is still warmer than average, and swings between periods of severe winter rainstorms and profound drought will probably become more pronounced in the future because of climate change, said Daniel Swain, a climate scientist at UCLA.

malchior

Post by malchior » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:01 pm

It is interesting how this slow motion disaster is manifesting in different ways and people still ignore the experts. Hence the ignorant and incredibly frustrating comments on both the LA Times (previously posted) and Washington Post articles.

Washington Post
The salty patches were small, at first — scattered spots where soybeans wouldn’t grow, where grass withered and died, exposing expanses of bare, brown earth.

But lately those barren patches have grown. On dry days, the salt precipitates out of the mud and the crystals make the soil sparkle in the sunlight. And on a damp and chilly afternoon in January, the salt makes Dawson Pugh furrow his brow in dismay.

“It’s been getting worse,” the farmer tells East Carolina University hydrologist Alex Manda, who drove out to this corner of coastal North Carolina with a group of graduate students to figure out what’s poisoning Pugh’s land — and whether anything can be done to stop it.

Of climate change’s many plagues — drought, insects, fires, floods — saltwater intrusion in particular sounds almost like a biblical curse. Rising seas, sinking earth and extreme weather are conspiring to cause salt from the ocean to contaminate aquifers and turn formerly fertile fields barren. A 2016 study in the journal Science predicted that 9 percent of the U.S. coastline is vulnerable to saltwater intrusion — a percentage likely to grow as the world continues to warm. Scientists are just beginning to assess the potential effect on agriculture, Manda said, and it’s not yet clear how much can be mitigated.

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:58 pm

And then there's this from Scientific American
Widespread and sometimes drastic marine oxygen declines are stressing sensitive species—a trend that will continue with climate change
-mf

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 am

That's a helluva depressing start to my day.

I weep for the future I'm leaving to my children. Like we should take a world tour, and on each stop I need to tell them "Take it all in kids, you'll be the last generation that gets to see this"
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: Mordor: Shadow of War, Curious Expedition

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:34 am

If you want to really weep, watch Rogan's podcast with David Wallace-Wells:

Even better, read his book, The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming. It's... Depressing.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:07 am

On the plus side, if your grandkids make it they can live out Horizon Zero Dawn!

On second thought, maybe that is not so much a plus.
-Coop

Defiant

Post by Defiant » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:44 pm

The Onion: What’s In The Green New Deal
10-year plan to phase out all Baby Boomers
WWII-style mobilization to invade, occupy, and overthrow the sun
Ban on kites to increase supply of farmable wind

Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:54 pm

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.

em2nought

Post by em2nought » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:17 pm

Let's compromise and build a "Green New Wall" :mrgreen:

Enlarge Image
webuildthewall.us