The Global Warming Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: The Global Warming Thread

Post by GreenGoo »

No one is talking about polar bears, although while we're on the topic, it's nice that we stopped hunting them to extinction, although it looks like we're still going to be responsible for them dying out anyway.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Someone forgot to tell the polar bears that they're thriving.
High-tech tracking collars on nine female polar bears have measured the animals' efforts to find food on the diminishing Arctic ice.

Each bear wore a collar - recording video, location and activity levels - for 8-12 days, while metabolic tracers tracked the bears' energy use.

This revealed that most of the animals were unable to catch enough prey to meet their energy needs.

The team says wild bears have higher metabolic rates than thought.

Moreover, climate change appears to be having dramatic effects on the Arctic sea-ice, forcing polar bears to move greater distances as they hunt, and making it harder for them to catch prey.

The vision of a polar bear plucking a vulnerable seal off an ice floe is something familiar to wildlife documentary fanatics. Earlier this winter, though, an image of an emaciated polar bear went viral, with many asking if this was the telltale image of climate change.

The authors of this study, published in the journal Science, point out that the animals do now need to travel further to find seals, and that this is likely to be an "important factor explaining declines in their body condition and survival" of polar bears.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/clim ... hange.html

Dafuq?
Right? That wasn’t working too well, because it was getting too cold all over the place. The ice caps were going to melt, they were going to be gone by now, but now they’re setting records, O.K., they’re at a record level.
http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TechTimes
The world's largest reserve of natural mercury was found hidden underneath Arctic permafrost, but the discovery comes with the realization that climate change could release the toxic element.
In a new study, published in the Geophysical Research Letters journal, researchers discovered that the Arctic permafrost holds the richest reserve of mercury in the world, with a total of 15 million gallons. To illustrate, that amount is 10 times more compared to all the man-made mercury emissions in the past 30 years and over twice the mercury found on the Earth's soils, oceans, and atmosphere.

The researchers took core samples from the permafrost in Alaska to study how much mercury remains trapped in the region, hidden since the last ice age. Permafrost is defined as any soil that has remained frozen for over two years, and in the northern hemisphere, that accounts for around 8.8 million square miles of land, or 24 percent of the exposed Earth.
The exact figures of when the mercury will be released into the world and how much has not yet been determined, as this information were not the focus of the study. However, the message is clear: if we want to keep the mercury hidden underneath the Arctic permafrost, we need to do something about climate change.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pruitt Questions Whether Climate Change ‘Necessarily Is A Bad Thing’,
Scott Pruitt, the administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, wondered aloud Tuesday whether climate change might actually be good for humans in the long run — a proposition unsupported by the conclusions of climate science.

“We know that humans have most flourished during times of what? Warming trends,” Pruitt told KSNV’s Gerard Ramalho in an interview flagged by the Guardian. “So I think there’s assumptions made that because the climate is warming that that necessarily is a bad thing.”

“Do we really know what the ideal surface temperature should be in the year 2100, in the year 2018?” Pruitt went on. “That’s fairly arrogant for us to think that we know exactly what it should be in 2100.”
Damn straight! Maybe humans will *like* agricultural catastrophes! Maybe the wasteland's Survival Wars will produce a hardy, rugged breed of cannibal supply-siders unwilling to settle for a coddling nanny state!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

the stupidity of the morons in charge is astounding.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rip

Post by Rip »

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-pacific-n ... igger.html
The Pacific nation of Tuvalu—long seen as a prime candidate to disappear as climate change forces up sea levels—is actually growing in size, new research shows.

A University of Auckland study examined changes in the geography of Tuvalu's nine atolls and 101 reef islands between 1971 and 2014, using aerial photographs and satellite imagery.

It found eight of the atolls and almost three-quarters of the islands grew during the study period, lifting Tuvalu's total land area by 2.9 percent, even though sea levels in the country rose at twice the global average.

Co-author Paul Kench said the research, published Friday in the journal Nature Communications, challenged the assumption that low-lying island nations would be swamped as the sea rose.

"We tend to think of Pacific atolls as static landforms that will simply be inundated as sea levels rise, but there is growing evidence these islands are geologically dynamic and are constantly changing," he said.

"The study findings may seem counter-intuitive, given that (the) sea level has been rising in the region over the past half century, but the dominant mode of change over that time on Tuvalu has been expansion, not erosion."

It found factors such as wave patterns and sediment dumped by storms could offset the erosion caused by rising water levels.

The Auckland team says climate change remains one of the major threats to low-lying island nations.

But it argues the study should prompt a rethink on how such countries respond to the problem.

Rather than accepting their homes are doomed and looking to migrate to countries such as Australia and New Zealand, the researchers say they should start planning for a long-term future.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wouldn't trust data like that in that I would not move to an island so small. I dont trust 'findings' that run opposite to everyone else.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The study, published in the Nature Communications journal on Friday, was the first in-depth look at how much each of Tuvalu's 101 islands have changed over the decades.
Overall, 73 islands were found to be larger now than 40 years ago – even taking into account rising sea levels.
Eleven of Tuvalu's islands have a permanent human population, but only two have a population of more than 600.
So, taken at random, any one island has a 72% chance of having grown and only a 10.9% of actually being inhabited. Nothing like needing a spreadsheet to know whether or not you're on the right one.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Great. Awesome. Hilarious that the article is not about sea levels going down, which would sort of run counter to climate change predictions, rather they explicitly say that sea levels are rising, completely in line with climate change predictions.

My guess is you thought this refuted climate change in some way? Or was even an article about climate change? It's not. It's an article about islands growing in size.

Why is this post in the climate change thread? It's only tangentially related.
The Auckland team says climate change remains one of the major threats to low-lying island nations.

But it argues the study should prompt a rethink on how such countries respond to the problem.
Although...with a little luck New Orleans will similarly rise as well, solving it's flooding problem.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Chinese know all about fake islands, perhaps they can help keep the other 28% of islands in decent condition.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Following on from a recent announcement that US start up Plenty are going to be building more than 300 vertical farms across China the Chinese government has just become the first country in the world to sign a $300m deal to buy lab grown meat from three companies in Israel in a deal that could open the flood gates for similar companies who are pushing new ways to produce food in order to sustain Earth’s growing population.
For many environmental and animal rights groups, clean meat is seen as a positive move away from the slaughter of billions of animals, as well as being a significantly greener alternative because it uses next to no land to produce, just a lab, uses no chemicals, fertilisers or steroids, and unlike the billions of cows around the world, who belch and fart all the time, produces no harmful greenhouse gases. Putting this into perspective in 2016 cattle accounted for over 15 percent of all greenhouse gases making them by far the most polluting animals on the planet.
China spends $300million to buy lab produced meats from Israel
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

If you're willing to buy lab-grown meat, why not just go vegetarian? There's nothing an artificial meat can give you that you can't get from plants.

That aside, I do sincerely appreciate that they're working on alternatives that don't generate mountains of greenhouse gasses. Methane is worse than CO2. This particular issue is why I went vegetarian, and I don't think I'd be into shifting back to burgers made with vat-grown meats.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I love the taste and versatility of meat and I hate the ethics of factory farming, so I will love vat-grown stuff when it's authentic.

I've read that a worldwide 50% reduction of meat consumption would almost meet the most optimistic goals for greenhouse reductions all on its own.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:44 amI've read that a worldwide 50% reduction of meat consumption would almost meet the most optimistic goals for greenhouse reductions all on its own.
Yeah, one of the most striking stats to me is that if folks just removed beef from their diets (not even meat--just beef specifically) that would have a similar impact to changing a huge number of vehicles to full electric. Another I've heard frequently is that each pound of beef consumed emits more CO2 than a gallon of gasoline burned. You get differing stats on this from different sources, but there's no question that if you're going to remove one thing from your diet to lower your carbon emissions, it's beef.

It's the path of least resistance I've taken on the food consumption front--just very rarely eat beef. Much easier than nuking all meat, and still a significant improvement to my personal carbon emissions.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There is a commercial up here (might be an american commercial, not sure) where the "meat council of the world" or something talks about how great meat is, and that it's so great that you should take 1 day off a week from eating meat, for sustainability. So it's this weird contrast of "eat meat, it's fantastic" but "don't eat too much meat, it's bad for the environment".

It's like a commercial for cigarettes (if those were legal) where they talk about not smoking 1 day a week to reduce lung cancer.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Vat grown meat is future sci-fi coming to life. Amazing.
Hodor.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Totally, soylent green is just vat grown meat.

Eat it up and feel good about all you are doing to help the environment.

:ninja:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To get people like Rip on board, you need to use reverse psychology. Their hatred of anything they perceive as having come out of a liberal movement will supersede any shred of common sense they have. So you have to try to link it to the GOP somehow. Photoshop a picture of Rand Paul nosediving into a vat of lab grown venison and he'll go apeshit with his posts supporting it.

:mrgreen:
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:52 pm Totally, soylent green is just vat grown meat.

It might be reconstituted in a vat. It's pretty clearly not grown there.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:42 pm
Rip wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:52 pm Totally, soylent green is just vat grown meat.

It might be reconstituted in a vat. It's pretty clearly not grown there.
Unless the Soylent Green exists in The Matrix, of course.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Given the name, I kinda figured that Green Goo was Soylent Green. Well, if not, give it some time and he will be.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Defiant wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm Given the name, I kinda figured that Green Goo was Soylent Green. Well, if not, give it some time and he will be.
Aren't we all?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Speaking of false religions :wink:
The Stunning Statistical Fraud Behind The Global Warming Scare
https://www.investors.com/politics/edit ... ing-scare/
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

em2nought wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:00 pm Speaking of false religions :wink:
The Stunning Statistical Fraud Behind The Global Warming Scare
https://www.investors.com/politics/edit ... ing-scare/
A conspiracy theory claim which has been debunked, many a time since it first appeared in 2008.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I don't understand the conservative mentality.

Conservatives:
No inheritance tax, we should be able to leave all our monies to our kids! For their future!

Also Conservatives:
Cut school funding.
Ignore global warming
Deficits are ok in pursuit of tax cuts

The only think i can think of is they want to leave a world where their kids are wealthy, but stupid and have to live in an underground fortress while zombies roam the earth due to the government collapse and an evil scientist creating a virus.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

But, her EMAILS!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pruitt will probably be gone soon so I wonder where the EPA will go from here.
tjg_marantz wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:39 pm
But, her EMAILS!
Tired memes are tired.
Hodor.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:36 am I don't understand the conservative mentality.

Conservatives:
No inheritance tax, we should be able to leave all our monies to our kids! For their future!

Also Conservatives:
Cut school funding.
Ignore global warming
Deficits are ok in pursuit of tax cuts

The only think i can think of is they want to leave a world where their kids are wealthy, but stupid and have to live in an underground fortress while zombies roam the earth due to the government collapse and an evil scientist creating a virus.
Cutting school funding doesn't impact wealthy republicans. They are sending their children to private schools anyway. Voucher programs allow them to pay less for the privilege of doing that. They are happy to have the rest of the world grow up stupid. It insures them a pool of workers desperate to do anything they can to survive.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken

Post by Default »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:59 pm To get people like Rip on board, you need to use reverse psychology. Their hatred of anything they perceive as having come out of a liberal movement will supersede any shred of common sense they have. So you have to try to link it to the GOP somehow. Photoshop a picture of Rand Paul nosediving into a vat of lab grown venison and he'll go apeshit with his posts supporting it.

:mrgreen:
Charlton Heston shooting it with an AR15 should get all the Ripsters on board
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Where-in the Pentagon joins the roster of government entities that learns to address climate change issues without using the verboten phrase.
Internal changes to a draft Defense Department report de-emphasized the threats climate change poses to military bases and installations, muting or removing references to climate-driven changes in the Arctic and potential risks from rising seas, an unpublished draft obtained by The Washington Post reveals.

The earlier version of the document, dated December 2016, contains numerous references to “climate change” that were omitted or altered to “extreme weather” or simply “climate” in the final report, which was submitted to Congress in January 2018. While the phrase “climate change” appears 23 separate times in the draft report, the final version used it just once.

Those and other edits suggest the Pentagon has adapted its approach to public discussion of climate change under President Trump, who has expressed doubt about the reality of a phenomenon that scientists agree presents an increasing danger to the planet. While military leaders have said they see a changing climate as a driver of instability worldwide, they have also sought to stay out of a politically charged debate about its causes.

Heather Babb, a Pentagon spokeswoman, declined to comment on the draft report, which outlines the results of the department’s first-ever survey of officials at different installations about the effects of climate change. The Post was not able to verify who made the changes reflected in the two documents.

“As highlighted in the report, the effects of climate are a national security issue with potential impacts to missions, operational plans, and installations,” Babb said in a statement. “DOD continues to focus on ensuring its installations and infrastructure are resilient to a wide range of threats, including climate. The Department has a proven record of planning and preparing for such threats.”
The change in climate change is silent. At least it sounds like they're still taking initiative to address the impact, literally without spelling out the actual problem.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Administrtions come and go, but the military industrial complex is eternal, matte and olive drab.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:35 am Administrtions come and go, but the military industrial complex is eternal, matte and olive drab.
Hopefully nobody will tip Trump to the fact that DoD is the deepest part of the Deep State.

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Max Peck wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:27 am DoD is the deepest part of the Deep State.
This is another of those across the aisle statements that I can agree with. :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... ing-higher

I heard the fish were pooping too much.
"Every time you have that soil or rock or whatever it is that is deposited into the seas, that forces the sea levels to rise, because now you have less space in those oceans, because the bottom is moving up," Brooks said at the hearing.
On the one hand I tell myself, give up. the GOP is lost cause drown in willful ignorance and corruption. Concentrate on what isn't and just bid your fellow Americans to not vote for any of them until they go away. But then this stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2tkm4iZOJ8
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

We need to get people to stop skipping rocks on a global scale. That's the real problem here.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:29 am
Max Peck wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:27 am DoD is the deepest part of the Deep State.
This is another of those across the aisle statements that I can agree with. :wink:
Don't worry. You won't be bothered by all this much longer if the liberal, deep state agenda works out. :ninja:
Covfefe!