The Global Warming Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

UsulofDoom

Re: The Global Warming Thread

Post by UsulofDoom »

Who wrote the article.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

UsulofDoom wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:12 pm Who wrote the article.
The BBC. Did you follow the link?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman

Post by Holman »

link
“No, no,” Trump said in Chico when asked if wildfires’ devastation changed his opinion on climate change. “I have a strong opinion. I want great climate. We’re going to have that. And we’re going to have forests that are very safe. Because we can’t go through this every year.”
WTF does this even mean? How could it even mean anything?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There isn't a comedy made that has as silly a president as you have right now in reality. When writers want to make a president that's this simple, they get sent back for a re-write, because no one is going to believe a president this stupid. Not even in a cartoon.

Adam Sandler movies have presidents that are smarter and better equipped to run the country than this guy.

How is he a thing? How did he ever become a thing, let alone stay a thing?

It's not illegal to mock a president, is it? Why aren't more people interrupting him to tell him that what he just said is the stupidest thing they've ever heard, and they have children.

I would be incapable of keeping my head down and just suffering through it. My boss would have to send me on an errand to keep me away from speaking truth to moronic power.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's way less dire than his authoritarianism or his racial nationalism, but sometimes it's Trump's utterly hollow self-confidence that infuriates me most.

"I want great climate. We’re going to have that."

How are we going to have it? Is he going to buy it? Is there some right-wing solution that makes climate collapse go away? What is the Trumpian GOP plan for "great climate," and how does it save Barron Trump, let alone anyone else?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

GreenGoo wrote:When writers want to make a president that's this simple, they get sent back for a re-write, because no one is going to believe a president this stupid. Not even in a cartoon.
Reminds me of the major problem I had with the show DESIGNATED SURVIVOR. I'm supposed to buy the idea that the American public would be up in arms and lacking faith in a President because it was leaked that he went to a single psychiatrist visit to help him cope with grief?

We've got an *actually insane* President and he still pulls 42% approval ratings.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Holman wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:17 pm How are we going to have it? Is he going to buy it? Is there some right-wing solution that makes climate collapse go away? What is the Trumpian GOP plan for "great climate," and how does it save Barron Trump, let alone anyone else?
He's just going to take over a better planet with the US Space Force. :horse:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:45 pm Not even in a cartoon.
He really is the living embodiment of how GWB was portrayed as a cartoon. To portray Trump as a caricature, the president would have to be full on Looney Tunes and even then Yosemite Sam might come off as less cartoonish than Trump at times.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:06 am
GreenGoo wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:45 pm Not even in a cartoon.
He really is the living embodiment of how GWB was portrayed as a cartoon. To portray Trump as a caricature, the president would have to be full on Looney Tunes and even then Yosemite Sam might would come off as less cartoonish than Trump at times.
FTFY
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:17 pm It's way less dire than his authoritarianism or his racial nationalism, but sometimes it's Trump's utterly hollow self-confidence that infuriates me most.

How are we going to have it? Is he going to buy it? Is there some right-wing solution that makes climate collapse go away? What is the Trumpian GOP plan for "great climate," and how does it save Barron Trump, let alone anyone else?
His standard answer to everything: build a wall to keep the bad climate out.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:49 pm
Holman wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:17 pm It's way less dire than his authoritarianism or his racial nationalism, but sometimes it's Trump's utterly hollow self-confidence that infuriates me most.

His standard answer to everything: build a wall to keep the bad climate out.
C'mon. His answer is simple. Turn on all the fans and blow the hot air at 'Gyna.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

You know, I could totally picture Trump being convinced that wind turbines can affect weather and they just need to be pointed in another direction.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:13 pm You know, I could totally picture Trump being convinced that wind turbines can affect weather and they just need to be pointed in another direction.
And of course "nimby".
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

TAKE THAT, LIBS!,

He truly is as stupid as he seems.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

In his defense, I make that "joke" more often than I should and based on test results from my childhood I am really quite intelligent. I do say some really dumb things and call them jokes though!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:53 pm In his defense, I make that "joke" more often than I should and based on test results from my childhood I am really quite intelligent. I do say some really dumb things and call them jokes though!
It is unlikely that your jokes encourage mankind to turn its back on the future of civilization.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Climate change: Report warns of growing impact on US life
Unchecked climate change will cost the US hundreds of billions of dollars and damage human health and quality of life, a US government report warns.

"Future risks from climate change depend... on decisions made today," the 4th National Climate Assessment says.

The report says climate change is "presenting growing challenges to human health and safety, quality of life, and the rate of economic growth".

The warning is at odds with the Trump administration's fossil fuels agenda.

The White House said the report - compiled with help from numerous US government agencies and departments - was inaccurate.

Spokeswoman Lindsay Walters said it was "largely based on the most extreme scenario, which contradicts long-established trends by assuming that... there would be limited technology and innovation, and a rapidly expanding population".
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:53 pm The best thing you can do to stop climate change is to vote against Republicans.

I mean, duh. But it's nice to see it laid out.
Fixed the link.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Me, too. Thanks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

edit: I may not have been in a particularly celebratory mood when I wrote this. :lol:

I love the tone of the article. I admit the tone isn't there, but I want it to be there, and using recent data like it is somehow more compelling when previous data wasn't enough to sway him is dishonest.

While it is admirable to admit you've made a mistake but have changed your ways, the mistake made was nearly criminal in it's denial.

I used to steal petty cash from the office secretary when she was on lunch. I can admit I was wrong, congratulate me.
I used to dupe the American public so they would vote for me, but I was wrong to do it. I'm a hero.
I used to be a homophobe because the bible blah blah blah, now I think they might be people like you and me. Aren't I the best?
It’s time to sound the planetary alarm
No dipshit, that was 2+ decades ago, which you spent working directly against sounding the alarm and saving the planet. YOU are the reason that many political leaders continue to deny it, and many American people continue to buy into that denial.

I admit it, in the late 80's I thought the theory of holes in the ozone layer were bunk, and that's with a father who was an environmental engineer. It took me all of 6-12 months to figure out I was wrong and that my doubts were based on pre-conceived notions and emotional bias, not science.

You know what? I didn't jerk myself off at how great I was for realizing my mistake while condescendingly lecturing others about how I was smart enough to realize my mistake, dumbasses.

Is it good that a previous climate change denier has changed his tune? Sure. Whoopee. We shouldn't even be having this conversation in 2018, for fuck's sake, but no, yeah, awesome dude. Only took you decades to come around. Fan-fucking-tastic.
Holman

Post by Holman »

If patting themselves on the back is what it takes for deniers to accept science, I'm ready to throw in free high-fives as well.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

They don't even need to recant; they just need to GTF out of the way. With each new extreme weather event another handful of deniers stops denying, and I seriously doubt that any believers are crossing over to balance them out. At some point their minority gets too small to matter, even if only a fraction of them take the next step and stop voting R. It's only a pity that the world doesn't have the luxury of waiting for them to come around.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Independent
Donald Trump has said he does not believe in manmade climate change because America’s water and air is “right now at a record clean”.

Asked why he was sceptical of a global warming report published by his own government, the US president gave a rambling response, much of it not backed by evidence, in which he blamed forest management, “small” oceans and China over the issue.

“One of the problems that a lot of people like myself - we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers,” Mr Trump told The Washington Post.

“You look at our air and our water, and it’s right now at a record clean. But when you look at China and you look at parts of Asia and when you look at South America, and when you look at many other places in this world, including Russia, including - just many other places - the air is incredibly dirty.

“And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small. And it blows over and it sails over. I mean, we take thousands of tons of garbage off our beaches all the time that comes over from Asia. It just flows right down the Pacific, it flows, and we say where does this come from? And it takes many people to start off with.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If the above quote doesn't demonstrate clearly and convincingly that he's a goddamn idiot, I'm not sure what would convince someone otherwise.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

My daughter wrote a position paper on global warming in 5th grade that's more coherent than the word vomit that comes out of Trump's mouth.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:05 pm My daughter wrote a position paper on global warming in 5th grade that's more coherent than the word vomit that comes out of Trump's mouth.
But would Joe the Plumber want to have a beer with her sometime? That's an important criteria when choosing leadership.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:43 am If patting themselves on the back is what it takes for deniers to accept science, I'm ready to throw in free high-fives as well.
Have at it. Burying them in a hole is just as effective and more satisfying.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:40 pm If the above quote doesn't demonstrate clearly and convincingly that he's a goddamn idiot, I'm not sure what would convince someone otherwise.
It demonstrates dementia, or mental illness. Probably both. Idiots are usually at least comprehensible.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:25 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:40 pm If the above quote doesn't demonstrate clearly and convincingly that he's a goddamn idiot, I'm not sure what would convince someone otherwise.
It demonstrates dementia, or mental illness. Probably both. Idiots are usually at least comprehensible.
My father suffers from late stages of dementia with lewy bodies and is always more coherent than tRump.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Remus West wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:01 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:25 pm
My father suffers from late stages of dementia with lewy bodies and is always more coherent than tRump.
His narcissistic personality disorder is always on prominent display, per its nature. The degenerating speech patterns indicate some degree of dementia when compared to his utterances from even a few years ago. There's widespread agreement among professional shrinks that both of those statements are true. In a way, mocking someone's mental disabilities feels mean...but if anybody ever asked for it (while at the same time being impervious to it)....
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Remus West wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:01 pm
My father suffers from late stages of dementia with lewy bodies
Sorry to hear that Remus.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:05 pm In a way, mocking someone's mental disabilities feels mean...but if anybody ever asked for it (while at the same time being impervious to it)....
There will be time for compassion once he has been removed as a danger to himself and others. With a guy who has access to the nuclear football, "danger to others" has never been a more appropriate concern.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:42 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:05 pm In a way, mocking someone's mental disabilities feels mean...but if anybody ever asked for it (while at the same time being impervious to it)....
There will be time for compassion once he has been removed as a danger to himself and others. With a guy who has access to the nuclear football, "danger to others" has never been a more appropriate concern.
Oddly, this is one of the things that stopped bothering me. I figure if he does that then it is game over and nothing we can really do but at least it is game over. The rest of the long term damage he is causing is going to inflict so much hardship and suffering that I have more anxiety about his day to day destruction of Democracy in America that nuclear devistation.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

First, I don't believe for a second that anyone would let him launch nukes. Even his closest supporters understand that he's unstable and only support him because they're getting something out of it. Destroying the world would severely reduce whatever they are getting out of it. I used nuclear football to illustrate the difference between an uncle being a "danger to others" because he still has his driver's license but lost his mental ability to safely drive, vs the president of the united states being a "danger to others".

Second, if he *were* to get into a nuclear war, "all over" is contextual. Obviously millions would die. The human race wouldn't, and not even all the humans in the countries hit. Those left behind in the ruins of the countries destroyed would suffer unimaginably. A nuclear war might be "all over" for millions, but it would also be the start of "oh my gawd I need to tooth and claw my way to survival over my fellow humans" which is never a pleasant experience.

As for long term damage and suffering caused by him just being him, another 2 things.

First, the dangers represented by him to your democracy and economy can't be overstated.

Second, some perspective. He's only been president for 2 years, and while he has done more damage than any president in living memory, it's still not the end of your country by any stretch of the imagination, or way of life. It's possible that he has accelerated the decline of America, but the decline of a country with so many checks and balances and rule of law and independent branches of government would be a generational thing. He's doing damage, however, so far he's been thwarted at nearly every step. The decline of your country is in no way inevitable.

In any case, see the first first point.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

On the contrary, the incremental decline of the world due solely to this country's willful decision to not address climate change under GOP leadership is absolutely inevitable.

It's an incremental thing, but it's a thing. Those 2 years aren't coming back, nor are the next two.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:27 am On the contrary, the incremental decline of the world due solely to this country's willful decision to not address climate change under GOP leadership is absolutely inevitable.

It's an incremental thing, but it's a thing. Those 2 years aren't coming back, nor are the next two.
edit: Reading comprehension issues on my side.

Sure. That's not drumpf's fault, which is who we are talking about. If you or others have existential anxiety that's one thing, but again, that's independent of the destruction of your country. They may impact each other (climate change may speed up the decline of your country, the decline of your country may speed up climate change), but their relationship isn't necessarily direct.