Occupy Wallstreet people are Nucking Futs!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Arcanis

Occupy Wallstreet people are Nucking Futs!

Post by Arcanis »

I heard about these people on the radio the other day and wanted to do my due diligence and see it for myself. They really are out of their minds if they honestly want all of these demands.
Demand one: Restoration of the living wage. This demand can only be met by ending "Freetrade" by re-imposing trade tariffs on all imported goods entering the American market to level the playing field for domestic family farming and domestic manufacturing as most nations that are dumping cheap products onto the American market have radical wage and environmental regulation advantages. Another policy that must be instituted is raise the minimum wage to twenty dollars an hr.

Demand two: Institute a universal single payer healthcare system. To do this all private insurers must be banned from the healthcare market as their only effect on the health of patients is to take money away from doctors, nurses and hospitals preventing them from doing their jobs and hand that money to wall st. investors.

Demand three: Guaranteed living wage income regardless of employment.

Demand four: Free college education.

Demand five: Begin a fast track process to bring the fossil fuel economy to an end while at the same bringing the alternative energy economy up to energy demand.

Demand six: One trillion dollars in infrastructure (Water, Sewer, Rail, Roads and Bridges and Electrical Grid) spending now.

Demand seven: One trillion dollars in ecological restoration planting forests, reestablishing wetlands and the natural flow of river systems and decommissioning of all of America's nuclear power plants.

Demand eight: Racial and gender equal rights amendment.

Demand nine: Open borders migration. anyone can travel anywhere to work and live.

Demand ten: Bring American elections up to international standards of a paper ballot precinct counted and recounted in front of an independent and party observers system.

Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.

Demand twelve: Outlaw all credit reporting agencies.

Demand thirteen: Allow all workers to sign a ballot at any time during a union organizing campaign or at any time that represents their yeah or nay to having a union represent them in collective bargaining or to form a union.

These demands will create so many jobs it will be completely impossible to fill them without an open borders policy.
Honestly some of the demands I could understand, even if I disagree, and have a dialog on, at least until they go about expressing how it should be implemented. The methods they want show that reality has no bearing on what these people's demands are.

As a side note while looking for this information one of the first articles I found was a blog by the Huffington post. First I don't know how google could mistake this for news reporting. Second what the hell is she babbling about? The title is "What Occupy Wall Street Wants" and then doesn't even mention their list of demands.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
LordMortis

Re: Occupy Wallstreet people are Nucking Futs!

Post by LordMortis »

Arcanis wrote:I heard about these people on the radio the other day and wanted to do my due diligence and see it for myself. They really are out of their minds if they honestly want all of these demands.
Demand one: Restoration of the living wage. This demand can only be met by ending "Freetrade" by re-imposing trade tariffs on all imported goods entering the American market to level the playing field for domestic family farming and domestic manufacturing as most nations that are dumping cheap products onto the American market have radical wage and environmental regulation advantages. Another policy that must be instituted is raise the minimum wage to twenty dollars an hr.

Demand two: Institute a universal single payer healthcare system. To do this all private insurers must be banned from the healthcare market as their only effect on the health of patients is to take money away from doctors, nurses and hospitals preventing them from doing their jobs and hand that money to wall st. investors.

Demand five: Begin a fast track process to bring the fossil fuel economy to an end while at the same bringing the alternative energy economy up to energy demand.

Demand six: One trillion dollars in infrastructure (Water, Sewer, Rail, Roads and Bridges and Electrical Grid) spending now.

Demand seven: One trillion dollars in ecological restoration planting forests, reestablishing wetlands and the natural flow of river systems and decommissioning of all of America's nuclear power plants.

Demand nine: Open borders migration. anyone can travel anywhere to work and live.

Demand ten: Bring American elections up to international standards of a paper ballot precinct counted and recounted in front of an independent and party observers system.

Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.

Demand thirteen: Allow all workers to sign a ballot at any time during a union organizing campaign or at any time that represents their yeah or nay to having a union represent them in collective bargaining or to form a union.

These demands will create so many jobs it will be completely impossible to fill them without an open borders policy.
Honestly some of the demands I could understand, even if I disagree, and have a dialog on, at least until they go about expressing how it should be implemented. The methods they want show that reality has no bearing on what these people's demands are.

As a side note while looking for this information one of the first articles I found was a blog by the Huffington post. First I don't know how google could mistake this for news reporting. Second what the hell is she babbling about? The title is "What Occupy Wall Street Wants" and then doesn't even mention their list of demands.
They are Nucking Futz. But then so is the Tea Party and look how they not only got legitimized but they're getting kowtowed to so badly that they could implode in the republican party. I guess the Dems didn't want to be one upped as party on the verge of implosion has been their thing for as long as I can remember.
WPD

Post by WPD »

I think those suggested demands by one person, not any "official " demands. It's the equivalent of saying "keep the government out of Medicare " is a Tea Party demand.
Later ya'll.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I thought people were criticizing the movement because it had no demands. That list of demands is stupid.

Ale
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If that website truly represents this movement or whatever it is currently, they are in for a big disappointment. Some of those are not only downright ridiculous, but fly in the face of the very fairness that these people seem to be seeking.

With those kinds of silly, inane demands and "rights", this now really does appear to be the liberal side of the crazy-assed Tea Party.

Maybe the Tea Party will get involved in a war of rhetoric with this new party of angry modern hippies and they can keep each other busy.

Edit: after looking at that site again, are we sure this is not a hoax? Looks like something some kid just slopped together...lots of typos and grammar mistakes.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Isn't this the thing Fed posted when commenting "AND A POOOOOOOOOONYYY"?
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

silverjon wrote:Isn't this the thing Fed posted when commenting "AND A POOOOOOOOOONYYY"?
I didn't see Fed make that statement, but it very well could be. Except a demand for a pony is more reasonable and realistic.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

DEMAND FOURTEEN: WE WANT A BLU-RAY VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY WHERE HAN SHOOTS FIRST!

(who is this "Lloyd J Hart" fella anyway? Does "The Commitee" know about his demands? Did he have the talking stick when posting said demands?)
Last edited by $iljanus on Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Ah I hadn't been reading the Day of Rage thread. :doh:

I guess my thread can die, but those people are still Nucking Futs!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

According to NPR they are doing their voting with Jazz Hands.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

noxiousdog wrote:According to NPR they are doing their voting with Jazz Hands.
Literally LOL'd at that. Awesome.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Arcanis wrote:Ah I hadn't been reading the Day of Rage thread. :doh:

I guess my thread can die, but those people are still Nucking Futs!
Yeah, it's just that guy posting a list on a forum, not an official list of demands.

Also, don't make the same mistake I did confusing DAY OF RAGE with RAGE Initial Impressions. Very confusing.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Well, that list of demands is certainly nuts, but I don't think that website really represents the Occupy Wall Street movement. I seriously doubt most of the people doing the protesting know what they want....they just know that the current system is screwing them over and they want change.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

To compare these people to the Tea Party movement is ridiculous and dishonest.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

msduncan wrote:To compare these people to the Tea Party movement is ridiculous and dishonest.
They both lies at the fringe of their positions. And they're both crazy.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
Zarathud

Re: Re: Occupy Wallstreet people are Nucking Futs!

Post by Zarathud »

msduncan wrote:To compare these people to the Tea Party movement is ridiculous and dishonest.
The Tea Party is better funded and has more old people.

Reading the postings by occupywallstreet.org supporters on the "We are the 99%" website last night was heartbreaking.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yet if they got together with the Tea Party and focused on the 50%+ of their objectives that are the exact same, they could both get some serious shit accomplished. But no. Neither side wants to dirty themselves with the other's largely philosophical differences.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Yet if they got together with the Tea Party and focused on the 50%+ of their objectives that are the exact same, they could both get some serious shit accomplished. But no. Neither side wants to dirty themselves with the other's largely philosophical differences.
Both groups feel marginalized, angry, and disenfranchised. So if the left and the right wings both feel this way, whose interests does Washington represent? There's your common ground.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Both groups feel marginalized, angry, and disenfranchised. So if the left and the right wings both feel this way, whose interests does Washington represent? There's your common ground.
I know it's there. I'm saying they will never cooperate because the two-party paradigm dominates everyone's thinking when it comes to anything political.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Arcanis wrote:I heard about these people on the radio the other day and wanted to do my due diligence and see it for myself. They really are out of their minds if they honestly want all of these demands.

As was posted in the other thread - this is a Forum Post of possible demands.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Kraken wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
I know it's there. I'm saying they will never cooperate because the two-party paradigm dominates everyone's thinking when it comes to anything political.
They'll never cooperate because one group doesn't want to be taxed and to be left alone while the other want to work hard and be afforded stuff. To hear my liberal friends empathize and watch them post all of their bumpersticker thoughts on facebook, there really is a serious sense of entitlement mindset that goes along with the idea that government is overspending and wall street needs to pay.

But more importantly Stewart did a good job of being ridiculous and dishonest last night, broadcasting out of context Fox descriptions of the Tea Party circa 2009 with them attacking government mismanagement and wallstreets ability to manipulate government while sending America to the poor house. (Capped off with the "Let me eat steak!" comment, which was awesome.)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Kraken wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
I agree; "us" and "them" are pretty rigidly defined in most people's minds.
GreenGoo

Re: Re: Occupy Wallstreet people are Nucking Futs!

Post by GreenGoo »

Zarathud wrote:Reading the postings by occupywallstreet.org supporters on the "We are the 99%" website last night was heartbreaking.
Fascinating. Thanks for the link.

If nothing else, it reminds me of just how fortunate I am and that I should appreciate it far more than I do.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:I agree; "us" and "them" are pretty rigidly defined in most people's minds.
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the General sat, as the lines on the map
Moved from side to side
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm currently occupying my pants and would like the following demands met before the occupation ends:

1) Lawbeef to coach me on the ways of women. His "Why don't you carve me off a kiss' comment at Octocon in regards to the carving station girl at the Jolly Inn proved he's an almost Barry White figure in the world of Lotharios.

2) MSDuncan to admit that he's wrong. Don't care about what. I just want that admission on record.

3) Zarathud to do my taxes next spring.

4) Fed to defend me during the inevitable trial that's going to come about after I stop occupying these pants.

5) LordMortis to follow a linear thought process for two consecutive posts in one day.

6) Runningman9 and Smoove to finally make it legal during a trip to New York.

7) Rip to bring the site down every other Tuesday and on Arbor Day.

8) Odin to like the same tv shows as I do.

9) tgb to prove he's jewish. i honestly believe he's a mormon who pretends to be jewish for the jokes.

10) 58 cents in nickels
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: 1) Lawbeef to coach me on the ways of women. His "Why don't you carve me off a kiss' comment at Octocon in regards to the carving station girl at the Jolly Inn proved he's an almost Barry White figure in the world of Lotharios.
Is this true? Because it is *awesome*!

Damn Lawbeef.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Watch what you wish for, hepcat.

::monkeypaw::
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

What hepcat calls an "occupation," the rest of the world calls "containment."

Please, give sanctions more time.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

So... These things have been going on for a significant number of days. I really expected silly violence before now--not because I think this is some kind of inherently violent movement (or even one that thinks it's starting a revolution), but because the laws of boredom and narrative interest would seem to trend that way.

Whatever else is involved, they have more discipline than I would have given them credit for.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote:
Is this true? Because it is *awesome*!

Damn Lawbeef.
The first lesson is free.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote:So... These things have been going on for a significant number of days. I really expected silly violence before now--not because I think this is some kind of inherently violent movement (or even one that thinks it's starting a revolution), but because the laws of boredom and narrative interest would seem to trend that way.

Whatever else is involved, they have more discipline than I would have given them credit for.
Their plan, at least in NY, is to occupy for an extended time. Like the core group is ready to be down there for 6 months or more. People that don't have the time/will to live on the street that long but want to support the cause bring them food, clothes, etc. If it works and if they keep a presence for that long, I think it might move past media boredom and into "shit, this might be for real." Or it might just get ignored and forgotten.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Occupy the streets of NYC for 6+ months? To quote you GRRM fanboys, "Winter is coming."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote:Occupy the streets of NYC for 6+ months? To quote you GRRM fanboys, "Winter is coming."
Yeah, I know, but I have it on really good sources that that's the plan. It's iffy but if they do manage it, imagine the footage. Grizzled, haggard hippie building igloo outside the NYSE...hard to keep that out of the news.

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

A different, more measured view of Occupy Wallstreet:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/5-myth ... 2011-10-11" target="_blank
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote:Occupy the streets of NYC for 6+ months? To quote you GRRM fanboys, "Winter is coming."
#Occupy Wall Street can last a long time. There are a lotta people in New York.

#Occupy Peoria ATM Machine, not so much.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't expect to see conflict/violence until next summer, assuming that the economy is still dead in the water, Congress remains paralyzed, and presidential campaign rhetoric further inflames people. This might not happen if it's a milquetoast Obama v Romney matchup, unless both of them play to the extremes.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Something tells me the only people who truly would agree with this statement are tea-partiers and the Occupy Wallstreet people. The rest of us see the comparison plain as day.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote:
I don't expect to see conflict/violence until next summer, assuming that the economy is still dead in the water, Congress remains paralyzed, and presidential campaign rhetoric further inflames people. This might not happen if it's a milquetoast Obama v Romney matchup, unless both of them play to the extremes.
I think he means literal winter. It's going to get cold in NYC.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I think he means literal winter. It's going to get cold in NYC.
+1.