Occupy Wallstreet people are Nucking Futs!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Combustible Lemur

Re: Occupy Wallstreet people are Nucking Futs!

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Okay, so run for office without any corporate influence. Good luck.

sent from incredible'
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rip wrote:
The corporations are enabled by the politicians who have sold out to the corporations.
I think most of us would agree that both parties are in the pocket of the ruling elite, and that's what the nucking futs are protesting.
The way I see it the only way to reign in the corporations is to reign in the politicians who we allow to use the corporate dollar to brainwash us.
And here most of us will not agree. Throw out the bums who are in bed with the corporations, replace them with ones who are not, and empower them to change the equation. If that is even possible. The system may be too hopelessly corrupt to reform.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Combustible Lemur wrote:Okay, so run for office without any corporate influence. Good luck.

sent from incredible'
Thanks for making my case.

The fact that corporate support is the MOST important thing needed to win an election says it all.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Kraken wrote:
Rip wrote:
The corporations are enabled by the politicians who have sold out to the corporations.
I think most of us would agree that both parties are in the pocket of the ruling elite, and that's what the nucking futs are protesting.
The way I see it the only way to reign in the corporations is to reign in the politicians who we allow to use the corporate dollar to brainwash us.
And here most of us will not agree. Throw out the bums who are in bed with the corporations, replace them with ones who are not, and empower them to change the equation. If that is even possible. The system may be too hopelessly corrupt to reform.
But the nucking futs haven't a clue what to do about it. When they produce a viable anti-establishment candidate call me. That is what appealed most to me about Cain until it became obvious he has too much baggage.

The system isn't too hopelessly corrupt to change, people are too ignorant to change it and only have themselves to blame for it getting this way.

What we need is a George Carlin like candidate that simply calls it as he sees it and can get the message out and have it understood/supported.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote: The problem is the People who have sat idly by and let it happen.
:horse:
I'm sentimental, if you know what I mean
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
And I'm neither left or right
I'm just staying home tonight,
getting lost in that hopeless little screen.
Oddly enough, written by a Canadian. *shrug*
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Rip wrote:But the nucking futs haven't a clue what to do about it. When they produce a viable anti-establishment candidate call me. That is what appealed most to me about Cain until it became obvious he has too much baggage.
You mock them for not having an answer, and yours was supporting a former CEO?

Classic.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Rip wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Rip wrote:
And here most of us will not agree. Throw out the bums who are in bed with the corporations, replace them with ones who are not, and empower them to change the equation.
When they produce a viable anti-establishment candidate call me. That is what appealed most to me about Cain until it became obvious he has too much baggage.
Expecting Cain to remove corporate influence in politics is like expecting the headsman to reduce capital punishment. He might be anti-establishment, but only because he wants to cut out the middle-man.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rip

Post by Rip »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Rip wrote:But the nucking futs haven't a clue what to do about it. When they produce a viable anti-establishment candidate call me. That is what appealed most to me about Cain until it became obvious he has too much baggage.
You mock them for not having an answer, and yours was supporting a former CEO?

Classic.
He was the most out from the beltway guy. Give me a non-beltway guy who wasn't a CEO that can win and I am all in. Actually I would rather a former military guy with good foreign relations skills like say Colin Powell.

Sadly as noted in today's climate no one without corporate/beltway support is viable.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Zarathud wrote:
Rip wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Rip wrote:
And here most of us will not agree. Throw out the bums who are in bed with the corporations, replace them with ones who are not, and empower them to change the equation.
When they produce a viable anti-establishment candidate call me. That is what appealed most to me about Cain until it became obvious he has too much baggage.
Expecting Cain to remove corporate influence in politics is like expecting the headsman to reduce capital punishment. He might be anti-establishment, but only because he wants to cut out the middle-man.
Expecting ANY viable candidate on either side to remove or even decrease corporate influence is a pipe dream.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote:Expecting ANY viable candidate on either side to remove or even decrease corporate influence is a pipe dream.
Then you guys are fucked, and those non-existent (at least as part of the OWS) anarchists are a better option. I'm not particularly comfortable with the idea that people are going back to being serfs.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Yes, we are indeed fucked.

At least until people wise up and stop voting based on advertising and who is the best fibber.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't believe this was posted before - but it's a photo journal providing a slice of the people at Zuccotti Park.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rip wrote:
But the nucking futs haven't a clue what to do about it. When they produce a viable anti-establishment candidate call me.
I am curious to see what, if anything, they come up with as the movement matures and finds focus (as I believe it will at least try to do over the winter, while its profile is lower). Perhaps their answer won't involve candidates at all. As Bill Maher told some Occupy kids (according to Esquire), "the minute you put on a suit, go indoors, and hire lobbyists, you've lost."

Yes, I read Esquire. For the fashion advice.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Kraken wrote:
Rip wrote:
But the nucking futs haven't a clue what to do about it. When they produce a viable anti-establishment candidate call me.
I am curious to see what, if anything, they come up with as the movement matures and finds focus (as I believe it will at least try to do over the winter, while its profile is lower). Perhaps their answer won't involve candidates at all. As Bill Maher told some Occupy kids (according to Esquire), "the minute you put on a suit, go indoors, and hire lobbyists, you've lost."

Certainly a fundamental change in the system would seem to match more with their mission if you can call it that, but I am at a loss as to how you do that. Things like manipulated congressional districts and quid pro quo support from PACs and Unions etc. are certainly fundamental problems but I fail to see how they expect to effect the change of it.

The system isn't inclined to fix itself and it has all the power. The only way short of revolution is through candidates willing to pass the required laws and would find all the existent politicians from both sides would resist that tooth and nail.

The fact that they can't even deal with their own leadership leads me to doubt their ability to provide national leadership.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rip wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Rip wrote:

Certainly a fundamental change in the system would seem to match more with their mission if you can call it that, but I am at a loss as to how you do that. Things like manipulated congressional districts and quid pro quo support from PACs and Unions etc. are certainly fundamental problems but I fail to see how they expect to effect the change of it.

The system isn't inclined to fix itself and it has all the power. The only way short of revolution is through candidates willing to pass the required laws and would find all the existent politicians from both sides would resist that tooth and nail.

The fact that they can't even deal with their own leadership leads me to doubt their ability to provide national leadership.
It is a bottom-up movement, so I do not expect them to seek top-down solutions.

The system's power depends on the complicity of taxpayers, consumers, and voters...so maybe the revolution depends on using those or withholding cooperation somehow. I can't formulate any specifics about how that might work.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Rip wrote:He was the most out from the beltway guy. Give me a non-beltway guy who wasn't a CEO that can win and I am all in. Actually I would rather a former military guy with good foreign relations skills like say Colin Powell.

Sadly as noted in today's climate no one without corporate/beltway support is viable.
He was also the most "Completely In Bed With Corporate America" guy. Which is what you are complaining about.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Rip wrote:The only way short of revolution is through candidates willing to pass the required laws and would find all the existent politicians from both sides would resist that tooth and nail.
Which leaves only one solution. Keep your chin up though, it's always come down to that solution, and the people eventually take it.
Make up bags of change
Rip

Post by Rip »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Rip wrote:He was the most out from the beltway guy. Give me a non-beltway guy who wasn't a CEO that can win and I am all in. Actually I would rather a former military guy with good foreign relations skills like say Colin Powell.

He was also the most "Completely In Bed With Corporate America" guy. Which is what you are complaining about.
True, but I consider out of the beltway considerably more important. As was noted corporations do what they are allowed to do. The changes need to be made inside it and an insider would never do that. I think there is more of a chance of finding someone who genuinely wants to see it changed from the corporate world than from from the current politicians.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As far as running for president goes, at this point I wonder why there isn't a viral approach to finding someone who isn't politically inside/tied to lobbyists. Getting your plans, idea, and ideals out couldn't be more simple and it wouldn't take millions and millions of dollars. If the American people are that sick of establishment republicats finding an outsider who is still capable of working within the system amongst well over 300,000,000 people shouldn't be pipe dream.

That said, I'm with Rip. I'd love to see demonstrated as capable retired high ranking military officer run and Powell would have been my choice from a ways back at this point.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote:As far as running for president goes, at this point I wonder why there isn't a viral approach to finding someone who isn't politically inside/tied to lobbyists.
There is.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Rip wrote:True, but I consider out of the beltway considerably more important. As was noted corporations do what they are allowed to do. The changes need to be made inside it and an insider would never do that. I think there is more of a chance of finding someone who genuinely wants to see it changed from the corporate world than from from the current politicians.
What you are saying makes absolutely no sense.

You started off by saying that the problem is our politicians because they are owned by and serve the ruling elite (and Corporations). Being in the beltway itself isn't the problem - outside of the fact that those currently in the beltway are bought and paid for by the ruling elite. Being outside the beltway itself should only be a boon in the event that being outside the beltway has taken you out of the pockets of the ruling elite.

How could that be true for a candidate that IS ONE OF THE RULING ELITE?

His being inside our outside the beltway is irrelevant - when the problem you identified is being in the pocket of the ruling elite. What matters is whether he will make the problem you identified better or worse. Of all the candidates you could select from on the GOP side, with respect to this particular problem - Herman Cain is the worst possible choice you could have made.

Someone that genuinely wants to see it changed from the corporate world will be trying to change it so that it favors the corporate world MORE than it already does. Cain will make it easier for corporations to knowingly kill and maim their customers (and continue to be able to do business, i.e. GM). Cain will make it easier to expand hydraulic fracturing operations that put our natural water supplies at risk. Cain will make it easier to gamble with your money and bring the global economy to its knees in the name of the holy pursuit of profits.

If you are looking for a candidate to return power to the People (and not the soulless megaorganizations that they create to make money), Cain is the opposite of your guy.

They're all the opposite of your guy, but he's the worst of the bunch (from that perspective).
Make up bags of change
Rip

Post by Rip »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Rip wrote:True, but I consider out of the beltway considerably more important. As was noted corporations do what they are allowed to do. The changes need to be made inside it and an insider would never do that. I think there is more of a chance of finding someone who genuinely wants to see it changed from the corporate world than from from the current politicians.
What you are saying makes absolutely no sense.

You started off by saying that the problem is our politicians because they are owned by and serve the ruling elite (and Corporations). Being in the beltway itself isn't the problem - outside of the fact that those currently in the beltway are bought and paid for by the ruling elite. Being outside the beltway itself should only be a boon in the event that being outside the beltway has taken you out of the pockets of the ruling elite.

How could that be true for a candidate that IS ONE OF THE RULING ELITE?

His being inside our outside the beltway is irrelevant - when the problem you identified is being in the pocket of the ruling elite. What matters is whether he will make the problem you identified better or worse. Of all the candidates you could select from on the GOP side, with respect to this particular problem - Herman Cain is the worst possible choice you could have made.

Someone that genuinely wants to see it changed from the corporate world will be trying to change it so that it favors the corporate world MORE than it already does. Cain will make it easier for corporations to knowingly kill and maim their customers (and continue to be able to do business, i.e. GM). Cain will make it easier to expand hydraulic fracturing operations that put our natural water supplies at risk. Cain will make it easier to gamble with your money and bring the global economy to its knees in the name of the holy pursuit of profits.

If you are looking for a candidate to return power to the People (and not the soulless megaorganizations that they create to make money), Cain is the opposite of your guy.

They're all the opposite of your guy, but he's the worst of the bunch (from that perspective).

It is all in who you think the ruling elite are. You think it is the corporate leaders, whereas I think it is the beltway crowd. In a simpler analogy you see the politicians like cops taking bribes from Capone. I see them as Capone and the corporations are more like the business owners paying protection money. In today's climate to be a successful business you have to lobby and pander to the politicians.

What we actually need is someone highly principled who has allegiances to neither.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

That is the opposite of what you've been saying. The politicians rig the game in favor of big business because that is the only way they get to keep being politicians. He politicians aren't in charge of the game, they are the pawns. I can't imagine how you could believe that it is the reverse.
Make up bags of change
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:
LordMortis wrote:As far as running for president goes, at this point I wonder why there isn't a viral approach to finding someone who isn't politically inside/tied to lobbyists.
There is.
Awesome.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

RunningMn9 wrote:That is the opposite of what you've been saying. The politicians rig the game in favor of big business because that is the only way they get to keep being politicians. He politicians aren't in charge of the game, they are the pawns. I can't imagine how you could believe that it is the reverse.
Yeah, that's a head scratcher, for sure.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote:
Kraken wrote:
There is.
Awesome.
So far Americans Elect hasn't registered on many people's radar screens, but they will play a major spoiler role in 2012 if they can achieve two things: Ballot access in all 50 states, and a name-brand centrist ticket. Even then they probably can't take the prize...but they can sure upset the calculations of both ruling parties.
GreenGoo wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:That is the opposite of what you've been saying. The politicians rig the game in favor of big business because that is the only way they get to keep being politicians. He politicians aren't in charge of the game, they are the pawns. I can't imagine how you could believe that it is the reverse.
Yeah, that's a head scratcher, for sure.
Politicans work for corporate masters, and the supreme court's recent decision striking down all limits on corporate campaign contributions made that official.
Rip

Post by Rip »

No, I said they rig the game in favor of big business. I never said because they must or they wouldn't be politicians. They do it because it is a lot easier than doing it the hard way by getting contributions from other places and pounding the pavement getting out a message. They are lazy and take the path of least resistance because the electorate allows them to. I have always and will always believe the politicians are the controllers.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Hilarious. Read up on what happened with Medicare Part D and tell me that again with a straight face.
Make up bags of change
Rip

Post by Rip »

RunningMn9 wrote:Hilarious. Read up on what happened with Medicare Part D and tell me that again with a straight face.
I am familiar with it. The biggest crook politician behind it is from here. Louisiana is the breeding pool of exactly what I am talking about.

Try to open a business here and get a government contract without "making it worthwhile" for a few politicians and see how long you stay open. The companies come and go but the crooked politicians are always there. hell they go to jail and then go right back to it as soon as they get out.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote:Hilarious. Read up on what happened with Medicare Part D and tell me that again with a straight face.
Do we blame this on Obama Care, or Bush, or Clinton?... Or maybe the Congress that sat through all of them?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... 18c6c07027" target="_blank

I'm a little surprised the it's "only" 22 Billion and that 22 Billion is the equivalent of a 27% paycut to doctors.

It's also another indicator of how bad things get when you borrow and spend and borrow and spend and borrow and spend.

Maybe it's time to get tough on the medical supply companies and big Pharm. :lol:
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Someone please help me understand.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/busin ... ivity.html" target="_blank
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LordMortis wrote:Someone please help me understand.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/busin ... ivity.html" target="_blank
If I have it correct, it basically allows banks to refinance their short term debt at longer terms and lower rates. This in turn protects the lenders by making it more certain their principal will be repaid.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote:
Do we blame this on Obama Care, or Bush, or Clinton?... Or maybe the Congress that sat through all of them?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... 18c6c07027" target="_blank

I'm a little surprised the it's "only" 22 Billion and that 22 Billion is the equivalent of a 27% paycut to doctors.

It's also another indicator of how bad things get when you borrow and spend and borrow and spend and borrow and spend.

Maybe it's time to get tough on the medical supply companies and big Pharm. :lol:

$22B is the amount of offsets they need to find to avoid the cuts. But let's assume that the $22B is 100% accurate. That's not 27% of all doctors' revenue. It's just 27% of Medicare revenue paid to doctors treating Medicare patients. Consider that Medicare and Medicaid combine for almost $1T annually ($900B?) and that total healthcare spending (in 2009) was around $2.5 trillion. So maybe 27% cut for Medicare providers but not a 27% cut to the Medicare budget. More like a 4% cut I think?

Here's what happens if Medicare reimbursement is dropped by 27%. They will do so by lowering all reimbursement across the board, not necessarily cutting services. So the idea that you get 27% less care isn't the case exactly. The government just pays the doctor 27% less for all of it. This means that doctors who rely on Medicare patients, will be forced to see more patients, work more, or go out of business (or flee to private insured/self-pay patients). The most underserved areas will become even more underserved. This is where the service cuts will be seen. Same goes with hospitals. The hospitals that see the most Medicare patients will be hurt the most. Generally these are hospitals that can least afford it.

Doctors with little to no Medicare business will do even less of it. They will continue to rely on private insurance and self-pay patients. They will still probably see a substantial revenue decrease since most insurance plans peg their reimbursement schedules to a percentage of Medicare's fee schedule. It probably won't be a 27% drop though.

Medicare patients that can afford supplemental coverage will probably opt for more of it so they can avoid their overburdened Medicare-only providers. This will hurt those Medicare providers even more.

I assume they'll extend the "doc fix" and kick the can down the road yet again. Eventually though it will have to be dealt with. Every year the potential drop amount increases.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

BTW, that has nothing to do with what I was referring to when I mentioned Medicare Part D. I'm talking about the changes to Medicare made by the Bush Administration to address the prescription issue back in his first term. And I'm talking about how the actual legislation came about (and who wrote it), and who benefitted the most.
Make up bags of change
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

RunningMn9 wrote:BTW, that has nothing to do with what I was referring to when I mentioned Medicare Part D. I'm talking about the changes to Medicare made by the Bush Administration to address the prescription issue back in his first term. And I'm talking about how the actual legislation came about (and who wrote it), and who benefitted the most.
A refresher from 60 minutes:
"The pharmaceutical lobbyists wrote the bill," says Jones. "The bill was over 1,000 pages. And it got to the members of the House that morning, and we voted for it at about 3 a.m. in the morning," remembers Jones.

Why did the vote finally take place at 3 a.m.?

"Well, I think a lot of the shenanigans that were going on that night, they didn't want on national television in primetime," according to Burton.

"I've been in politics for 22 years," says Jones, "and it was the ugliest night I have ever seen in 22 years."...

...It certainly wasn't ugly for the drug lobby which invested more than $10 million in campaign contributions during the last election and has been a source of lucrative employment opportunities for congressmen when they leave office.

Former senators Dennis Deconcini, D-Ariz., and Steve Symms, R-Idaho, and former congressmen like Tom Downey, D-N.Y.; Vic Fazio, D-Calif.; Bill Paxon, R-N.Y., and former House Minority Leader Robert Michel, R-Ill., all registered as lobbyists for the drug industry and worked on the prescription drug bill.

"I can tell you that when the bill passed, there were better than 1,000 pharmaceutical lobbyists working on this," says Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich...

...Why was the drug lobby was so interested in this bill and what did it have to gain? Ron Pollack, the executive director of Families USA, a nonpartisan health care watchdog group, says it all boiled down to a key provision in the legislation.

It prohibited Medicare and the federal government from using its vast purchasing power to negotiate lower prices directly from the drug companies.

"The key goal was to make sure there'd be no interference in the drug companies' abilities to charge high prices and to continue to increase those prices," says Pollack.

Pollack says there's no question that this was prompted by the pharmaceutical lobby.

"They were the ones who wanted to make sure Medicare could charge high prices and to continue to increase those prices," he says.

The drug industry says that competition among private insurance plans that service the Medicare program help keep prices low. But Families USA reported in a January study that Medicare patients are being charged nearly 60 percent more for the top 20 drugs than veterans pay under a program run by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

For example, Lipitor, a popular cholesterol drug, the cheapest Medicare price is $785 for a year's supply — 50 percent more than the VA's price of $520.

For Zocor, another cholesterol drug, the best Medicare price is $1,485 for a year's supply. The same drug only costs $127 a year under the VA's plan.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

In other news - an interviewe with Chase's Sales Manager of the Year, regarding Mortgage practices in Florida:
He fully acknowledges that he and other bankers are mostly responsible for the country’s housing mess.

As a regional vice president for Chase Home Finance in southern Florida, Theckston shoveled money at home borrowers. In 2007, his team wrote $2 billion in mortgages, he says. Sometimes those were “no documentation” mortgages...

...Especially when mortgages were securitized and sold off to investors, he said, senior bankers turned a blind eye to shortcuts.

“The bigwigs of the corporations knew this, but they figured we’re going to make billions out of it, so who cares? ...

...He says that some account executives earned a commission seven times higher from subprime loans, rather than prime mortgages. So they looked for less savvy borrowers — those with less education, without previous mortgage experience, or without fluent English — and nudged them toward subprime loans...

...Theckston, who has a shelf full of awards that he won from Chase, such as “sales manager of the year,” showed me his 2006 performance review. It indicates that 60 percent of his evaluation depended on him increasing high-risk loans.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

One thing that some of the occupy wall street people were angry about was student loans. While I don't think student loans should be forgiven, this government response strikes me as WTF?

Interest rate for student loans double, and the federal government has eliminated subsidized Stafford loans for graduate students
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

S'OK, thanks to H.R. 347 that the President recently signed into law, the government can further stifle protest and speech anywhere the Secret Service deems necessary.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke