[North Korea] The Dear Loser comes into his own.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Grifman

Re: The Dear Loser comes into his own. (North Korea)

Post by Grifman »

YellowKing wrote:At the risk of defending Rip :D , I think the point of the article is that IF we were in a position where we had to respond to NK aggression (i.e. self defense), then we would not have the luxury of evacuating everyone. We'd have to strike with surprising and overwhelming force. Anything else would be tipping our hand, and putting Seoul in MORE danger, not less.
It would be impossible to strike both with surprise and overwhelming force. We don't have overwhelming force at hand and any buildup would be obvious and without surprise.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

And a buildup for an overwhelming strike would be risky. North Korea would know that we were building up for something (though they presumably wouldn't know exactly where they are), and if it thought we might actually strike they would have a strong incentive to attack before we can hit them with sudden and overwhelming force.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Shhhhhh, you're tipping our hand!

Seriously though, the Orange Turd and Chubby Cheeks should just engage in gladiatorial combat to the death (fully clothed, preferably) instead. Winner gets sacrificed to the gods. LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Right. And it's nearly impossible to hide changes in military posture. We have lots of troops in place in South Korea, but they are not a standing force sufficient to invade on their own.

One sign that all of this aggression is just theater is that the Pentagon has not made any moves towards reinforcing the region. Showing the flag with ship movements is rhetoric, not mobilization.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

NickAragua wrote:Shhhhhh, you're tipping our hand!

Seriously though, the Orange Turd and Chubby Cheeks should just engage in gladiatorial combat to the death (fully clothed, preferably) instead. Winner gets sacrificed to the gods. LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!
Loser take all!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

We've already seen that Trump has a shaky grasp on where our naval ships are at any given moment. Is it possible he already thinks we have overwhelming force stationed at the border, and can invade the moment he tweets the order
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

He's an idiot that makes sweeping conclusions (especially ones he likes) from tidbits of information. Like, it *is* true that we have troops in the area, and it *is* true that we could strike North Korea with little notice.

That's different from being ready to fight a war with North Korea, or prevent North Korea from attacking South Korea in force in response, etc.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Well we do have overwhelming *nuclear* force in the area. But then we're into the whole nuke NK thing again. :grund:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Chaz wrote:We've already seen that Trump has a shaky grasp on where our naval ships are at any given moment. Is it possible he already thinks we have overwhelming force stationed at the border, and can invade the moment he tweets the order
The military would tell him otherwise. He's ignorant and stupid but not that stupid.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grifman wrote:
Chaz wrote:We've already seen that Trump has a shaky grasp on where our naval ships are at any given moment. Is it possible he already thinks we have overwhelming force stationed at the border, and can invade the moment he tweets the order
The military would tell him otherwise. He's ignorant and stupid but not that stupid.
Says you.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Holman

Post by Holman »

link

They should have sent the readout instead.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Best orator in the history of presidents!
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

God, at least he's transparent, and very consistent in his FAME>MONEY>EVERYTHING ELSE ideology.

Hey dickbag, have you considered the Guam mayor doesn't care about being famous, especially because his fame is based solely on the fact that he is potentially about to be blown away? Good God this idiot is going to give me a heart attack before his term is over.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

At which point he accidentally invades Puerto Rico.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Good God this idiot is going to give me a heart attack before his term is over.
And just think, it's only been 6 months. What joy will the next 3 1/2 YEARS bring?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

YellowKing wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Good God this idiot is going to give me a heart attack before his term is over.
And just think, it's only been 6 months. What joy will the next 3 1/2 YEARS bring?
Time does not pass during nuclear winter.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So are we all going to meet in a particular subway station when the end comes and start our own tribe?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hell no! You guys are gamers. That builds reflexes. I'll be hanging out with rednecks. They have more guns, but they're slow and sluggish.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Blackhawk wrote:Hell no! You guys are gamers. That builds reflexes. I'll be hanging out with rednecks. They have more guns, but they're slow and sluggish.
Just be prepared to be their "entertainment". What with your pretty mouth and all.......
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DefenseTech
The head of the Pentagon’s missile defense agency on Wednesday said recent missile intercept tests give him confidence the U.S. can protect itself from wide variety of threats, including an intercontinental ballistic missile from North Korea.

When asked directly about North Korea during the Space and Missile Defense Symposium in Huntsville, Alabama, Air Force Lt. Gen. Samuel Greaves said, “We believe that the currently deployed ballistic missile defense system can meet today’s threat.”
“The missile defense agency has always and will continue to test in a robust fashion … in a manner that addresses the threat as we understand it today and into the future,” he told audience members at the symposium.

Greaves highlighted the first successful intercept test conducted in May, in which the U.S. ground-based intercept system intercepted an ICBM. While officials at the time said the test had been planned, it came days after North Korea launched its ninth missile test this year.

“These tests are not staged, they’re not crafted for success. They stress the systems; we learn from every single test, and bottom line … the nation should be very confident that we have demonstrated the ability to defend against the range of threats that we are seeing today all the way from the short-range ballistic missiles … medium-range … to the ICBM,” he said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

North Korea flaunts plans for new ballistic missiles
North Korea appears to have revealed details of two as-yet untested missile systems in its press coverage of a factory inspection by the country's Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un.

Photographs released by KCNA state news agency to go with a report on Mr Kim's visit to a facility at the Academy of Defence Sciences facility show wall charts describing the missiles, called Hwasong-13 and Pukguksong-3.

Hwasong-13 appears to be a three-stage ICBM (Inter Continental Ballistic Missile), while the chart showing Pukguksong-3, although largely obscured by officials, is an Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM).

It's not the first time that North Korea has "accidentally" left details of important developments in the background of photo-shoots, and this is seen by analysts as a means of showing off its military power or sending messages to its foes.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

North Korea's most recent missile launch flew OVER Northern Japan late this afternoon.

Joy.
Hodor.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

pr0ner wrote:North Korea's most recent missile launch flew OVER Northern Japan late this afternoon.

Joy.
Aren't we supposed to be showing them that this won't work and that we can shoot their stuff down?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"Talking is not the answer!"

Such Presidential.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Smoove_B wrote:"Talking is not the answer!"

Such Presidential.
That's one frightening tweet. I fear that Trump longs for any excuse to use nukes, and I really hope there are machinations happening behind the scenes to limit his ability to act out his worse impulses at a moment's notice.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Paingod wrote:
pr0ner wrote:North Korea's most recent missile launch flew OVER Northern Japan late this afternoon.

Joy.
Aren't we supposed to be showing them that this won't work and that we can shoot their stuff down?
This is like the KEY point that should be brought up, time and time again -- and yet I don't think I've ever heard a news agency bring it up.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Such Presidential.

... I read the comments, Ray...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote:

Such Presidential.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Andrew Wonser

Post by Andrew Wonser »

Unagi wrote:
Paingod wrote:

Joy.
This is like the KEY point that should be brought up, time and time again -- and yet I don't think I've ever heard a news agency bring it up.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... t-it-down/
To boil it down. If they know it won't hit land then why take the chance that you might miss which would embolden NK. On the other hand there is a chance of escalation if you do manage to take one down.
My opinion this would be different if we were talking about a normal country, but this is crazy town. I figure in my lifetime we will finally have to take down NK and if the US is still a country it will probably be us that does it. I can only hope that dumpster fire isn't still in charge when it happens.
Ah, so he has retractable metal claws that punch through his flesh, just like a real wolverine.
Right, just like a real wolverine.
Ah, and his metal retractable claws can easily cut through hardened steel, just like a real wolverine.
Just like a real one, exactly.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I wouldn't be so sure. I think China flexing their might against North Korea could be the final action that lifts them to leader of the world of nation states. For better or worse.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

North Korea claims leader inspects new H-bomb
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un inspected a new, “super explosive” hydrogen bomb meant to be loaded into an intercontinental ballistic missile, Pyongyang’s state media said Sunday, a claim to technological mastery that many outside experts will question but that raises the possibility of an imminent nuclear bomb test.

Photos released by the North Korean government showed Kim talking with his lieutenants as he observed a silver, peanut-shaped device that was apparently the purported thermonuclear weapon destined for an ICBM. What appeared to be the nose cone of a missile could also be seen near the alleged bomb in one picture, which could not be independently verified and which was taken without outside journalists present. Another photo showed a diagram on the wall behind Kim of a bomb mounted inside a cone.

Aside from the factuality of the North’s claim, the language in its statement seems a strong signal that Pyongyang will soon conduct its sixth nuclear weapon test, which is crucial if North Korean scientists are to fulfill the national goal of an arsenal of viable nuclear ICBMs that can reach the U.S. mainland. There’s speculation that such a test could come on or around the Sept. 9 anniversary of North Korea’s national founding, something it did last year.
Welp, it appears that they didn't wait until next week: North Korea apparently conducts another nuclear test, South Korea says
North Korea appears to have conducted another nuclear test, the South Korean government said Sunday after seismic authorities detected an artificial earthquake near Pyongyang regime’s known nuclear test site.

This would be North Korea’s sixth nuclear test, and the first since President Trump was inaugurated. The action probably will increase already high tensions between the Trump administration and Kim Jong Un’s regime.

The U.S Geological Survey said it had recorded a 6.3 magnitude earthquake exactly at noon Sunday local time, near North Korea’s known nuclear test site in the country’s northeast region. North Korea’s recent nuclear tests have also happened exactly on the hour.

South Korean authorities said it appeared to be artificial, consistent with a nuclear test. President Moon Jae-in immediately called an emergency meeting of his national security council.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Trump had them quaking in their boots alright.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm glad that Trump is standing tough against one of the Koreas, anyway.

He's basically accusing Seoul of being weak, and at the same time he's threatening their economy by getting ready to trash our trade deal with them.

It's nice that he's so polite to China here, but it seems like overdoing it. Really, ruining SK trade ought to be enough to satisfy Beijing.
malchior

Post by malchior »

He acts like an agent for every power but ours. Backing out of the TPP gave SE Asia trade advantage to the EU and China. Then his clownish, amateurish behavior is pushing SK away as well. For what reason? Who the hell knows anymore. He is a complete and utter fucking moron and/or everyone has something on him.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump just announced that he's considering cutting off all trade with anyone who does business with NK.

Right. That's China.

He loves brinksmanship, and he is so, so, so bad at it.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Quick question: Our Great Leader's ineptitude aside, does anyone here feel that the NK situation can be defused non-violently? I mean, without giving away the Homeworld? I'm not seeing it, but hoping others know better.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Yeah, I have no sense how this will play out, and given the stakes and the main players involved, that's pretty terrifying.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Dear Leader has one goal -- to survive and maintain his rule. Trump's unreliability makes a nuclear weapon essential to NK's survival. No surprise that Trump's rise accelerated NK's research.

Hillary would have been able to consolidate the m UN and other world leaders to show that increasing NK's nuclear capability would face worldwide punishment. She might not have prevailed, but NK would not be rushing to prove its capability like they are now.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Small aside, I didn't ask what Hillary would have done, and I tried to limit the question to real options by figuratively removing Trump from the equation. Was hoping for discourse on options.