[North Korea] The Dear Loser comes into his own.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Grifman

Re: The Dear Loser comes into his own. (North Korea)

Post by Grifman »

Max Peck wrote:Technically, Kim himself didn't call Trump a dotard; the hero of the day is the anonymous Nork translator that converted the original Korean text to English. Apparently the literal translation would be something along the line of "old beast lunatic."
Technically speaking, Kim didn't say anything in his speech since it was all translated :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Moliere wrote:
Kraken wrote:The burden of proof is on Trump to show that he's not a mentally deranged dotard. If the end goal is to convince NK to abandon its nuclear deterrent, threatening them with annihilation is not constructive.
Why would NK ever abandon their nukes? We've been trying to bribe/strongarm them against getting nukes for decades and it hasn't worked.
Especially since Trump wants to back out of the Iran deal. It shows that American cannot be trusted to keep their promises.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote:
Moliere wrote:
Kraken wrote:The burden of proof is on Trump to show that he's not a mentally deranged dotard. If the end goal is to convince NK to abandon its nuclear deterrent, threatening them with annihilation is not constructive.
Why would NK ever abandon their nukes? We've been trying to bribe/strongarm them against getting nukes for decades and it hasn't worked.
Especially since Trump wants to back out of the Iran deal. It shows that American cannot be trusted to keep their promises.
I was going to mention Iran as an example of a regime freezing its nuclear program to win international acceptance, but yeah, Trump is undermining that, too. I doubt that anyone expects NK to give up what it's already achieved, but it might consider forgoing future testing and deployment after it can reliably deter US aggression.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Yea, I remember the same kind of comments back when they thought NK honored their agreement. Then the truth came out.

Should be fun to find out what the argument for these stupid agreements will be when it becomes obvious that Iran hasn't frozen shit. We never learn it seems.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Rip wrote:Yea, I remember the same kind of comments back when they thought NK honored their agreement. Then the truth came out.

Should be fun to find out what the argument for these stupid agreements will be when it becomes obvious that Iran hasn't frozen shit. We never learn it seems.
You throw out NK cheating and I'll throw out Libya and South Africa as examples of successful denuclearization. Just because NK cheated does not logically mean that Iran is.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Grifman wrote:
Rip wrote:Yea, I remember the same kind of comments back when they thought NK honored their agreement. Then the truth came out.

You throw out NK cheating and I'll throw out Libya and South Africa as examples of successful denuclearization. Just because NK cheated does not logically mean that Iran is.
Of course, if anything should convince NK and Iran to give up nuclear weapons pursuit.

That should do it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Iran has spent decades as a pariah state, and they know how much it cripples them. They have an economy with potential and an educated middle class eager to make it happen. They understand that the deal makes it possible for them to rejoin the global community.

NK has nothing but pariah state to go with. That's the difference.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Holman wrote:Iran has spent decades as a pariah state, and they know how much it cripples them. They have an economy with potential and an educated middle class eager to make it happen. They understand that the deal makes it possible for them to rejoin the global community.

NK has nothing but pariah state to go with. That's the difference.
Of course Iran is happy they get the rejoin and still get to do pretty much everything they were doing before. Iran is just a generation behind NK, they still have us believing the lie. Iran just past the stage NK was in 1994. At the end of this agreement we will go through the same dance we went through with NK in 2007/2008.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/29/world/asi ... index.html

How many times do we need to see this approach fail?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Rip wrote:
Grifman wrote:

Of course, if anything should convince NK and Iran to give up nuclear weapons pursuit.

That should do it.
That does nothing to disprove my point that Libya and South Africa are examples of successful nuclearization.

In fact it has more to do with whether Iran and NK should trust the US/West, which is the exact opposite of what you are trying to prove, duh!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Rip wrote:How many times do we need to see this approach fail?
How many times has it failed in the past. I should also add as successful examples all of the ex-Soviet Republics that also gave up the former Soviet nukes stationed in their territories. As far as I know, the firner agreement with NK is the only to have failed so far. Can you name any others since you seem to think this is a trend?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Grifman wrote:
Rip wrote:How many times do we need to see this approach fail?
How many times has it failed in the past. I should also add as successful examples all of the ex-Soviet Republics that also gave up the former Soviet nukes stationed in their territories. As far as I know, the firner agreement with NK is the only to have failed so far. Can you name any others since you seem to think this is a trend?
I know of at least one ex-Soviet Republic who wishes that hadn't given them up......

The Iran deal has failed already, just that we don't know it because the deal didn't even meet the most basic of requirements. They have violated it but the inspection protocol is so weak that we don't even know it yet.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good to know that you know more than the professionals about the state of affairs in Iran.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Rip is psychic from all his time on Drudge.

Or shell shocked. Not sure.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon

Post by Default »

Zarathud wrote:Rip is psychic from all his time on Drudge.

Or shell shocked. Not sure.
The view from his submarine is rather limited.

"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Zarathud

The Dear Loser comes into his own. (North Korea)

Post by Zarathud »

A submarine or septic tank?

:P
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/sta ... 4169823232

He’s going to kill us all, isn’t he?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Captain Caveman wrote:https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/sta ... 4169823232

He’s going to kill us all, isn’t he?
He is certainly trying to provoke a confrontation, and it's likely to get a lot of Koreans killed on both sides of the border.

Two nuclear-armed madmen shouting insults at each other is unlikely to end well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Zarathud wrote:A submarine or septic tank?

:P
Thats not a septic tank.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Pretty sure it's a propane tank. I've got one sitting next to my house.

It does seem appropriate that Rip would be captain of a vessel full of gas under pressure, ready to explode when exposed to flame.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

NK initiates a photoshop war against the U.S. :pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

North Korea's foreign minister just accused Trump of declaring war on NK and says they have the right now to shoot down our bombers...
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Oh, hey, this could be a handy distraction from the ACA repeal cliffhanger. :coffee:

North Korea accuses US of declaring war
North Korea's foreign minister has accused US President Donald Trump of declaring war on his country.

Ri Yong-ho told reporters in New York that North Korea reserved the right to shoot down US bombers.

This applied even when they were not in North Korean airspace, the minister added. The world "should clearly remember" it was the US that first declared war, Mr Ri said.

The two sides have been engaged in an increasingly angry war of words.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unagi wrote:North Korea's foreign minister just accused Trump of declaring war on NK and says they have the right now to shoot down our bombers...
Er, it's my understanding that the US and NK have never not been at war. Well, not since before the war anyway. :wink:
stessier

Post by stessier »

Haha - jokes on him. We never signed a peace treaty!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's all fun and games, until someone loses a B-1B. Or a city.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder how many of their kids have to die in a conflict escalated over effing Twitter before Trump's hardcore supporters wake up to the fact that they voted for an idiot?
Covfefe!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rip wrote:The Iran deal has failed already, just that we don't know it because the deal didn't even meet the most basic of requirements. They have violated it but the inspection protocol is so weak that we don't even know it yet.
If we don't know it yet how can you proclaim it? Your entire post is so full of stupidity it boggles the mind.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote:I wonder how many of their kids have to die in a conflict escalated over effing Twitter before Trump's hardcore supporters wake up to the fact that they voted for an idiot?
All of them would be my early estimate.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Remus West wrote:
hepcat wrote:I wonder how many of their kids have to die in a conflict escalated over effing Twitter before Trump's hardcore supporters wake up to the fact that they voted for an idiot?
All of them would be my early estimate.
"Don't let their deaths be in vain" has led to a lot of dying in vain.

When you combine the sunk-cost fallacy with cognitive dissonance you can destroy the world.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

Post by Default »

Chaz wrote:Pretty sure it's a propane tank. I've got one sitting next to my house.

It does seem appropriate that Rip would be captain of a vessel full of gas under pressure, ready to explode when exposed to flame.
<spits coffee all over keyboard>
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Anecdotally, most of my Trump supporter friends are wondering why the hell we haven't bombed them yet. I'm guessing *actually* going to war would be like Christmas morning for them.

Fun fact: None of them have kids actively serving in the military.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

YellowKing wrote:
Anecdotally, most of my Trump supporter friends are wondering why the hell we haven't bombed them yet. I'm guessing *actually* going to war would be like Christmas morning for them.

Fun fact: None of them have kids actively serving in the military.
Do they know about South Korea? It's not us that will take the brunt :(
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They're not even white, let alone American. Why should they care? :?
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

When pictures come back of the smoking rubble of Seoul and Incheon, Trump will claim credit for ending our South Korean trade deficit.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

The Dear Loser comes into his own. (North Korea)

Post by Zarathud »

Chaz wrote:It does seem appropriate that Rip would be captain of a vessel full of gas under pressure, ready to explode when exposed to flame.
:mrgreen:

I approve of this message.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unagi wrote:North Korea's foreign minister just accused Trump of declaring war on NK and says they have the right now to shoot down our bombers...
While it's probably a bit different with Trump in office, NK loves to randomly declare war over any perceived slight.

Even The Onion has satired it.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Depending on who is reporting it, there is also a 50/50 chance that it is just Patrick.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yonhap News
China on Thursday ordered North Korean companies in the country to close down within 120 days of the United Nations Security Council's passage of the latest of sanctions on Sept. 12.

The decision, made public on the website of China's commerce ministry, is seen as part of its efforts to intensify pressure on the reclusive state to give up nuclear weapons. It will also apply to China-North Korea joint ventures, it said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The best hope for peace in Northeast Asia is that North Korea does not take Trump seriously
This past weekend, President Trump put in a busy week of golf, bestowing golf trophies, and tweeting insults at Puerto Ricans devastated by Hurricane Maria. But he made sure to take at least five minutes of his time to undercut his secretary of state, Rex Tillerson:

I told Rex Tillerson, our wonderful Secretary of State, that he is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man…

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 1, 2017

…Save your energy Rex, we'll do what has to be done!

Being nice to Rocket Man hasn't worked in 25 years, why would it work now? Clinton failed, Bush failed, and Obama failed. I won't fail.

I hope that the only thing these tweets accomplished was that they kneecapped Tillerson. Because if Pyongyang takes them seriously, then everyone is in trouble.

Please understand that Trump’s tweets are actually worse than the rhetoric he deployed in his demented U.N. General Assembly speech, in which he said, “Rocket Man is on a suicide mission for himself and for his regime.” For all of the recklessness of that speech, however, those threats to North Korea were contingent: “If it is forced to defend itself or its allies, we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea.” As bad as that language is, the message was that the military option would be a response to further DPRK provocation.

There is no contingency in Trump’s tweets over the weekend, and that is a serious problem. It signals to North Korea that nothing sort of abject acquiescence will stop the militarization of the crisis.
@NateSilver538 wrote:If Trump's rash statements & tweets increase the risk of nuclear war from say 2% to 10% that's bigger than almost any other story right now
@ollie wrote:almost?
@NateSilver538 wrote:I wouldn't say it's as important as the use of a private email server. But pretty far up there.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It would seem that North Korea isn't entirely without friends.

North Korea appears to have a new Internet connection — thanks to the help of a state-owned Russian firm
A state-owned Russian telecommunications firm has given North Korea a new Internet connection, potentially increasing Pyongyang's ability to stage cyberattacks and protect the embattled country's online infrastructure.

The new connection was first spotted by Internet analysts at Oracle Dyn, who noted that a new connection for North Koreans provided by the Russian firm TransTeleCom appeared in Internet routing databases about 5:38 p.m. Pyongyang time Sunday.

The new connection appears to supplement a connection run by China Unicom that has operated since 2010. With two connections, experts argue, North Korean Internet users could expect a higher international bandwidth capacity as well as a greater ability to withstand attacks.

“In practical terms, [having multiple connections] will allow additional resiliency if one of those connections were to be rendered inactive for any number of reasons,” said Doug Madory, director of Internet analysis at Oracle Dyn.

The new connection “will improve the resiliency of their network and increase their ability to conduct command and control over those activities,” Bryce Boland, cybersecurity firm FireEye’s chief technology office for the Asia-Pacific region, told Reuters.

On Saturday, The Washington Post reported that a U.S. Cyber Command operation had targeted hackers at North Korea’s military spy agency, the Reconnaissance General Bureau. The U.S. operation used what is known as a denial-of-service attack, choking off access to the Internet for North Korean users. It ended Saturday, shortly before North Korea's new Internet connection went online.