[North Korea] The Dear Loser comes into his own.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Dear Loser comes into his own. (North Korea)

Post by Holman »

Chaz wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:04 pm Wouldn't the US interpreter translate Kim, and the NK interpreter translate Trump? I'd assume you'd want your person to tell you what the other leader said, rather than relying on their interpreter to translate accurately.
Yeah, the ethic of professional translation is strict accuracy. Plus there will probably be other staffers in the room who speak both languages (not just Trump and Kim and one translator each), so any deviations would be noticed.

I definitely don't envy Kim's translator, though. The poor soul learned English for just this one glorious national moment, and now they have to deal with Trumpian word salad. Can you imagine?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Skinypuppy.
Last edited by Holman on Wed May 23, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:27 pm I'm feeling proactively sorry for the poor translator who has to try and decipher Trump-speak.
ook, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart—you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you're a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.
Yes, that's an actual quote

That's getting at what I mean... At any given statement Trump may say two contradictory things at the same time and jump all over the place, and that just may not translate AT ALL.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A few weeks ago there was a report that Trump might not bring a US translator for fear of leaks or something. Can't find that story now...maybe I was thinking of this one, wherein it is written: "Obst talked about his own experience navigating presidential vulgarities and what to expect from Kim. He also mused on what might happen if Trump, a go-it-alone type who has spoken to Russian president Vladimir Putin without an American interpreter present, did the same on the Korean peninsula."
Last year, President Trump spoke with Vladimir Putin at a Group of 20 summit without an American interpreter present, relying only a Kremlin-provided interpreter.

For what reason, I don’t know — probably to keep everything to himself and his staff.

Nixon had the same habit — he relied, in virtually all important meetings, solely on the senior diplomatic interpreter for English in Moscow, Viktor Sukhodrev, whose father, by the way, was a Soviet spy in the United States for 12 years. And he also worked for the KGB. That was the person that Nixon trusted and Kissinger trusted!

Having set this example in the Putin meeting, there is always a chance that this particular White House might say, “We don’t want an American interpreter in the Kim Jong Un meeting.” I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened.

Why is it so important to have an American interpreter present?

One reason is that the interpreter traveling with the president gets to see his talking points and all documents that the president needs for this particular meeting. This is doubly important with a president like Trump. Why? Because he doesn’t read his briefing book. The packet for such a meeting — and I’ve worked hundreds of them — may be as much as between 80 and 200 pages.

The second reason, especially for a person like Trump who thinks he is one of the greatest negotiators in the world: He might insist on a one-on-one, just him and him, with the interpreter or interpreters. If such a meeting takes place, there’s one important product that comes out of it — a written record that’s always done by the interpreter. The interpreter, then, is the only American who can record this meeting for posterity, for the National Archives, for the Secretary of State to read. If you don’t have an American interpreter in there, there will be no American record.

How do you see a meeting playing out between Trump and Kim?

If each side brings a professional interpreter, whatever the two tell each other will come across the way it was said. But it will be a quite different meeting if there is only a North Korean interpreter present, and no American interpreter. In that kind of a meeting, our leader is bound to get into trouble.
This was published a couple of months ago, and I haven't heard anything more about it. I hope that Trump isn't stupid enough to go in without his own translator. At the same time, Trump is obviously stupid, and written transcripts never make him look good. So the translation issue is more than a sideshow.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Holman wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:30 pm
Chaz wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:04 pm Wouldn't the US interpreter translate Kim, and the NK interpreter translate Trump? I'd assume you'd want your person to tell you what the other leader said, rather than relying on their interpreter to translate accurately.
Yeah, the ethic of professional translation is strict accuracy. Plus there will probably be other staffers in the room who speak both languages (not just Trump and Kim and one translator each), so any deviations would be noticed.

I definitely don't envy Kim's translator, though. The poor soul learned English for just this one glorious national moment, and now they have to deal with Trumpian word salad. Can you imagine?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Skinypuppy.
Kim probably can understand English, right? So he probably doesn't need translator to understand Trump's words (as long as it is normal English not Trump-speak).
Last edited by Victoria Raverna on Fri May 25, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kim is reported to know English as he apparently attended English-language schools in Europe as a teen. (He was enrolled under an assumed identity as son of a Korean businessman, as was his brother.) He also speaks German and French.

Depending on his accent, he might say some things in English because it will make Trump look boorishly monolingual in comparison. However, using translators has political value because it puts the two languages on the same level, and of course North Koreans are taught that Korean is the best language with all others being deficient.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

"nuclear is powerful" - Donald J(enius) Trump
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If there is a meeting (and that's a pretty big if) it will end up being one guy who barely speaks English...and Kim Jong Un.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:34 am If there is a meeting (and that's a pretty big if) it will end up being one guy who barely speaks English...and Kim Jong Un.
Prescient you are.

NO MEETING.
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, there ya have it.

And where is RIP now? done, that's right - he finished up the other day. Shame.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Does the line about nuclear power scare the shit out of anyone else? Trump just can not stop trying to overcompesate. Dude must have an inny for god's sake.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yes, it's entirely frightening , and yet I am happy it is documented in history in this message - so that everyone can see what he was, forever.

But it's truly terrifying, and it's pathetic.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

“You can’t break up with me, I’m breaking up with you!”

I love how he just casually threatened nuclear anniahlation via memo. #MAGA
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Also, I mean it's totally irrelevant - but it was them that wanted this meeting first.... Not that we didn't want it and it's our fault that it didn't happen - but to be clear, it's their fault it didn't happen and they are the ones that asked for it first - but again, that's irrelevant.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Leaving the table isn't quite the same as refusing to sit down in the first place, but it's the same tactic, and consistent with Trump's usual method of advancing an extreme position and then partially backing down when everyone goes into a frenzy. If Kim gives up anything, even just rhetorically, the meeting will be salvaged (although the date might slip).

The whole show has been posturing and theatrics so far, and this is consistent with that. Kim wants legitimacy and economic relief, and Trump wants his Nobel. They'll be BFFs again by next week.

That, or the strategy will blow up spectacularly in everyone's faces. One or the other.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Unagi wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 am Also, I mean it's totally irrelevant - but it was them that wanted this meeting first.... Not that we didn't want it and it's our fault that it didn't happen - but to be clear, it's their fault it didn't happen and they are the ones that asked for it first - but again, that's irrelevant.
Yep. #clownshow

Scary though. When I talked to people in 2016 about why I didn't want to vote for trump, despite being nominally a republican, NK was my number 1 issue. I knew he wouldn't be able to handle this situation and I feared his pathetic, narcissistic, egocentric personality wouldn't allow him to NOT get into a war with NK. I sure hope I am wrong.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

At least we know who they learned diplomacy from.

Holman

Post by Holman »

So today we watch Trumpers swivel from "Nobel Prize!" To "Nuke Pyongyang!" on a dime, right?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:00 am So today we watch Trumpers swivel from "Nobel Prize!" To "Nuke Pyongyang!" on a dime, right?
I think some of them are still focusing on that whole "Impeach Obama" nonsense to get there right now.
Hodor.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

h/t Popehat:
Enlarge Image
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Who's Jeffrey?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:18 pm Who's Jeffrey?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Dignity. Always dignity.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

From one of the comments in the above twitter thread...
Adam Blickstein wrote:Along with the breakup letter, Trump also sent Kim half of the Peace Summit Coin, imploring him to wear it around his neck until they're reunited, in love
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Dignity. Always dignity.
I could actually see that catching a prize in 20 years...
Holman

Post by Holman »

Wait--they're *selling* those coins??

I saw them and assumed they were "challenge coins" that servicepeople and others might receive for being part of the diplomatic mission.

I had no idea they were just more straight-up MAGA grift.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:Wait--they're *selling* those coins??

I saw them and assumed they were "challenge coins" that servicepeople and others might receive for being part of the diplomatic mission.

I had no idea they were just more straight-up MAGA grift.
I thought they were challenge coins too. Gotta maximize profit!

I guess it's like a participation trophy for him. But the ones they give to the kids at a soccer game have more value because both teams showed up...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

Unagi wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:47 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Dignity. Always dignity.
I could actually see that catching a prize in 20 years...
Not sure if I should go with a joke about Trump Vodka or the "Allow 2 Months".

Options!
"Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."
-- Mark Twain .

XBL: Hiccup1
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Those coins might still be relevant!
Trump has a very good reason to want the summit to go forward.
President Trump’s decision to cancel his planned summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (for now) isn’t just a blow to a major policy goal of Trump’s (stopping North Korea’s nuclear program) or the president’s ego (his supporters were talking about Trump winning a Nobel Peace Prize). It could have a clear political downside too.

Polling shows that more Americans disapprove than approve of Trump’s handling of a whole host of issues. On immigration, trade and other policy areas, Trump gets net negative marks. But then there’s North Korea.

Fifty-two percent of Americans liked how Trump was handling the North Korea issue, according to an average of polls taken since April, compared with just 39 percent who disapproved. I’m not sure 52 percent of people would approve of Trump eating eggs at breakfast, as polls suggest a plurality of Americans oppose virtually anything he does. North Korea and the economy are the only issues on which he gets net positive marks (and only barely on the economy).
He is desperate to gain the approval of the American people, and this is the one issue where that is clearly within his grasp.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Max Peck wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:46 am He is desperate to gain the approval of the American people, and this is the one issue where that is clearly within his grasp.
Well... sitting down for a meeting is, perhaps, within his grasp. Actually coming to a comprehensive agreement that favors the American people is, I think, well outside his abilities or understanding.

Add to that new reports that it was infighting between Bolton and Pompeo that helped sink the current meeting, and I have even less hope they will actually get somewhere in negotiations.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sepiche wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:59 am
Max Peck wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:46 am He is desperate to gain the approval of the American people, and this is the one issue where that is clearly within his grasp.
Well... sitting down for a meeting is, perhaps, within his grasp. Actually coming to a comprehensive agreement that favors the American people is, I think, well outside his abilities or understanding.

Add to that new reports that it was infighting between Bolton and Pompeo that helped sink the current meeting, and I have even less hope they will actually get somewhere in negotiations.
That's not really the point -- I wasn't talking about getting a peace settlement, just about Trump's desire to move forward with the summit. According to polling, a significant majority of Americans approved of his efforts to have face-to-face talks with Kim. That is likely to make him bend over backwards to make it happen.
But Trump’s shift from aggressive rhetoric to potential peacemaking with North Korea was clearly well-received by American voters. Sixty-six percent of Americans approved of Trump’s decision to have direct talks with Kim, while only 27 percent disagreed, an April poll by Quinnipiac University found. A Pew Research Center poll conducted in late April and early May found that 71 percent of Americans approved of direct talks with North Korea, compared with just 21 percent who did not. In other words, Trump had found an idea that even some Democrats liked — something I had begun to think was not possible.

Foreign policy experts were more skeptical about the idea of direct diplomacy with Kim. On the substance, they may have been correct — Kim is probably not going to give up his nuclear program (Trump’s chief demand). But I can see why Trump really wanted this summit. If he could have reached some kind of deal with Kim, polls suggest that the public, even some Democrats, would have viewed that favorably. The president’s backers were already touting the slogan “peace and prosperity” for the GOP to run on in 2018 and 2020. And Trump’s overall approval rating has been rising of late — perhaps a bit of that upward trend was due to the diplomatic push on North Korea.
It'll be interesting to see if he makes any actual concessions to bring Kim back on board.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

My advice to N and S Korea.... move forward without the US... just go.. do your thing.

If China takes it all on, then so be it - just one small part of the price we are paying for 2016.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Because our President is a complete wack-a-doodle he is tweeting like the meet is back on...maybe it is...or he forgot. Who the fuck knows. It's Trump.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:18 am Because our President is a complete wack-a-doodle he is tweeting like the meet is back on...maybe it is...or he forgot. Who the fuck knows. It's Trump.
I said last Thursday "They'll be BFFs again by next week." The cancellation letter was one of Trump's more transparent bluffs.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Right but it is still insane that they think theyll hammer out denuclearization in a week. With this crew of imbeciles. It is turtle shit all the way down.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That doesn't preclude producing some sort of deal that makes Trump look good in the short term, to try and swing public opinion in advance of the midterms. Trump would go for a deal that he sees as good for Trump, and the devil take South Korea/Japan/America. It's all about chalking up something in his personal win category.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea's will for the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula remains "unchanged, consistent and fixed," said leader Kim Jong Un, according to the North's state news agency on Friday.
So.... GOOD LUCK DONNY!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Today's the day Trump gets his super secret letter from Kim Jong!

He won. Period.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IMG is broken for me at work but if that isn't the Kriminal Sopina (sp? :lol: ) I'm going to be very disappointed.
Last edited by Remus West on Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It's not the Kriminal Sopina.
Hodor.