[North Korea] The Dear Loser comes into his own.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Dear Loser comes into his own. (North Korea)

Post by Holman »

NK state media is reporting that Trump agreed to drop sanctions.
North Korean state media said on Wednesday U.S. President Donald Trump had agreed to lift sanctions against the North in addition to providing security guarantees in the summit with the North’s leader, Kim Jong Un, the previous day.

Trump was cited by North Korea’s official KCNA news agency as saying he made the promise after pledging to end joint military exercises with South Korea.

There was no immediate comment about sanctions from the U.S. side.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

One can only imagine that we will have two very sorry interpreters at the end of this. One fired, and one fired out of a cannon.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:50 am NK state media is reporting that Trump agreed to drop sanctions.
North Korean state media said on Wednesday U.S. President Donald Trump had agreed to lift sanctions against the North in addition to providing security guarantees in the summit with the North’s leader, Kim Jong Un, the previous day.

Trump was cited by North Korea’s official KCNA news agency as saying he made the promise after pledging to end joint military exercises with South Korea.

There was no immediate comment about sanctions from the U.S. side.
And so it begins.
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's paywalled, but the WSJ had a story in January reporting that Trump supported the idea of canceling US-ROK exercises after it was suggested to him by... Vladimir Putin.

Mattis talked him out of it, but I guess now we know which adviser Trump listens to.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:10 am It's paywalled, but the WSJ had a story in January reporting that Trump supported the idea of canceling US-ROK exercises after it was suggested to him by... Vladimir Putin.

Mattis talked him out of it, but I guess we have always known which adviser Trump listens to.
FTFY
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:55 am We don't know what SK wants beyond the distant hope of peace on the peninsula.
You're killing me. I'm pretty certain that's was my exact starting point.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Guys, we need to cut Un some slack. He's only torturing, killing, and starving his people because that's what he's seen done before.
Van Susteren: What do you think he thought of you after he left?

Trump: “I think he liked me and I like him. And I understand the past and, you know, nobody has to tell me, he’s a rough guy. He has to be a rough guy or he has been a rough person. But we got along very well. He’s smart, loves his people, he loves his country. He wants a lot of good things and that’s why he’s doing this.”

Van Susteren: “But he’s starved them. He’s been brutal to them. He still loves his people?”

Trump: “Look, he’s doing what he’s seen done, if you look at it. But, I really have to go by today and by yesterday and by a couple of weeks ago because that’s really when this whole thing started. Again, without the rhetoric and without the sanctions — the sanctions were very important — the sanctions are going to remain on until such time as we see, you know, this is going to happen. And we pretty much see that now but the sanctions will remain on until we really start dismantling or dismantle the nuclear weapons.”
Fuck. This. Guy.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Particularly in light of his commentary and actions towards Germany, France, the UK, Canada....

It's surreal. Let's see what Congressional GOP members say or do!
Spoiler:
They do nothing. F Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoa...he used the word rhetoric in a sentence. And I think correctly to boot. :shock:
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As someone representing the NBC news outlet explicitly in his feed, why do that? He makes that look like a direct transcription. I go look for context and CNN gives me more and are up front about not giving a direct transcription. In a political environment where everything is "Fake News" why would you do that?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/13/politics ... index.html
"A lot has been made of the fact that the word 'verifiable' didn't appear in the agreement," Pompeo said of the hoint statement. "Let me assure you that 'complete' encompasses 'verifiable' in the minds of everyone concerned. One can't completely denuclearize without validating, authenticating -- you pick the word. The President is committed to that."
"It's in the statement. It's in the statement," Pompeo insisted as he briefed reporters in Seoul. "You're just wrong about that."The joint statement says that "President Trump committed to provide security guarantees to the DPRK, and Chairman Kim Jong Un reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula."
Asked how "verifiable" and "irreversible" appeared in the statement, given that the words aren't there, Pompeo said, "I suppose you could argue semantics, but let me assure you that it's in the document."
And then he added that, "I find that question insulting and ridiculous and frankly ludicrous," adding that "one ought not play games with serious matters like this."
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Huh? It is a transcription.

Here's the full transcript: https://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks ... 283183.htm
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thank you for the context. That's what I was looking for. And now I ask the same question of CNN
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Once again, let's just go ahead and gloss right over those human rights violations, shall we? Because hey, other people do bad things too!
President Trump is brushing aside concerns about North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s human-rights abuses as he seeks to broker a nuclear deal with the young autocrat.

Pressed by Fox New's Brett Baier in an interview about Kim's oppression of his own people, Trump said: “Yeah, but so have a lot of other people done some really bad things.”

Asked about his decision to negotiate with a known “killer,” Trump praised the 30-something North Korean for being a “tough guy” who managed to take control of his country at a young age.

“I don’t care who you are, what you are, what kind of advantage you have,” Trump said of Kim, whose family has controlled North Korea since its creation. “If you can do that at 27 years old, you, I mean, that's one in 10,000 that can do that.”
See, murdering people isn't that bad, it just makes you a tough guy. I don't see why we shouldn't do it here!

As always, let's stop and think about the absolute shitstorm that conservative media would be if Obama had praised Kim even 1/10th as much as Trump is doing right now.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Some dictators, I assume, are good people.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Stalin seemed to get a bye for it from FDR. :wink:

You guys would rather have you faces melted off in a nuclear war than have Trump succeed at anything. Maybe Trump should make the promise that any Noble Prize he receives he'll send to Obama. Obama got one for nothing, might as well get two. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Holman

Post by Holman »

link

Math is fun!
Spoiler:
Seriously, watch the clip. Trump sentences can be hard to parse, but he says "SO many" people (after correcting from "thousands and thousands") came up to him during the campaign to ask that their sons' remains be returned from Korea.

The youngest possible American soldier dying on the last possible day in Korea could not have been born later than 1935, so these many many parents talking to Trump were a -minimum- of 105 years old.
Last edited by Holman on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

To add some flavor to the link Skinypupy posted.

Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:43 am Some dictators, I assume, are good people.
I didn't wait long. I wanted to make sure, unlike most politicians, that what I said was correct, not make a quick statement.

The statement I made on Saturday, the first statement, was a fine statement but you don't make statements that direct unless you know the facts. It takes a little while to get the facts. You still don't know the facts. It is a very, very important process to me. It is a very important statement. So I don't want to go quickly and just make a statement for the sake of making a political statement. I want to know the facts.

If you go back to my statement, I brought it. I brought it. As I said, remember, saturday, we condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry, and violence. It has no place in America. I went on from there. Here is the thing.

Excuse me. Take it nice and easy. Here is the thing.

When I make a statement, I like to be correct. I want the facts. This event just happened. A lot of the event didn't happen yet as we were speaking. This event just happened. Before I make a statement, I need the facts. I don't want to rush into a statement. So making the statement when I made it was excellent.

In fact, the young woman — who I hear is a fantastic young woman and it was on NBC, her mother wrote me and said through I guess Twitter, social media, the nicest things. I very much appreciated that. I hear she was a fine, really actually an incredible young woman. Her mother, on Twitter, thanked me for what I said. Honestly, if the press were not fake and if it was honest, the press would have said what I said was very nice. Unlike you and unlike the media, before I make a statement, I like to know the facts.

How about a couple of infrastructure questions.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:49 am

link

Math is fun!
Spoiler:
Seriously, watch the clip. Trump sentences can be hard to parse, but he says "SO many" people (after correcting from "thousands and thousands") came up to him during the campaign to ask that their sons' remains be returned from Korea.

The youngest possible American soldier dying on the last possible day in Korea could not have been born later than 1935, so these many many parents talking to Trump were a -minimum- of 105 years old.
I get 99 if you assume they had their kid at 18 and the kid was lost in Korea at 18 and they approached him in 2016. Regardless, it's clearly absolute bullshit. But now that he has said it, he undoubtedly believes it. As do his supporters.

Besides, where was all this in the campaign? He never wasted an opportunity to talk about people adoring him. Where was this when he was calling Kim Rocketman? Clearly bullshit.

This diminishment of truth and fact is what bothers me most about this administration. It used to be a scandal if a president made a rounding error. If they used binoculars wrong in back photo of, they were chastised for weeks. Now one can lie and make up facts daily and it's accepted as business as usual.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That sort of corruption of the truth is what lies at the heart of my sheer hatred of the man. I value facts and truth telling far greater than even I knew before a president started lying his ass off about every little self aggrandizing (this is also a huge part of what I hate about him) thing, but some people just don't seem to care. Every time the man speaks it's like a direct attack on my soul, but for other people, they don't understand what the big deal is, and there really isn't anything that can be done about that.

Either you value facts and the truth or you don't.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1007245616869773313

Edit: I see Holman posted a pic of this already in another thread. But here's the video of the incident, as broadcast on NK state TV.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Good thing he didn't do it while holding a coffee cup, because THAT would've been grounds to impeach.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was hoping he'd bow to someone, but that's even better. Amazing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

You can see on Un's face that this was planned, and DJT responded just as they'd hoped would happen.

That said, I don't give a flying f about a symbolic bow or salute or trau-dropping or whatever...
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't either, but it does illustrate just how little Drumpf understands what a salute is. As a Commander in Chief, it's not great. Someone should point out to him that many times if the higher ranking officer is busy, he won't even acknowledge the salute from the lower ranking officer. Like, the big cheeses don't salute and only the little guys have to do it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:12 am I was hoping he'd bow to someone, but that's even better. Amazing.
Yep. Fuck you Rip and every other disingenuous political hack who ever pretended to care about something just to score points.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's a big deal, symbolic or not. It shows an astonishing lack of understanding of Presidential protocol, and it also gives NK a huge propaganda win. They can rerun clips of the US President saluting their generals over and over again. Think that doesn't give them a legitimacy boost?
stessier

Post by stessier »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:10 am It's a big deal, symbolic or not. It shows an astonishing lack of understanding of Presidential protocol, and it also gives NK a huge propaganda win. They can rerun clips of the US President saluting their generals over and over again. Think that doesn't give them a legitimacy boost?
It's not really that big of a deal. It shows the rest of the world once again that Trump is out of his league, but I'm not sure anyone is really concerned about the propaganda value. Had he not done it, NK could have just photoshopped it and showed it anyway. It's not like their new services are considered pillars of integrity. Nor are we out to win the hearts and minds of the NK people, but if we were, then the ones who know enough to completely believe the image would also have access to information saying why it is meaningless.

So I mostly just laugh at it and move on.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's only a big deal if you need something, anything to make political hay with to help undermine a competent president. If a president isn't competent, you have plenty of real stuff to worry about.

And let's be clear, saluting a superior officer in a foreign military is hardly on the radar when we have presidents half bowing to foreign leaders.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 am
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:12 am I was hoping he'd bow to someone, but that's even better. Amazing.
Yep. Fuck you Rip and every other disingenuous political hack who ever pretended to care about something just to score points.
Why? I think Trump was unprepared and it was disgraceful display just like when Obama bowed.

But it would seem you guys think there is a difference between the two. I am the one who does not.

Don't see me criticizing you guys for calling him out on it.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Nor did we see you calling him out on it until you felt the need to defend yourself.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Maybe it's the new Republican motto.

"Watch others do unto others to determine how low the bar can go before doing unto anything"
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm not calling him out. That's my point. As with The Meal, I don't really care. There are plenty of solid, practical reasons to think Drumpf is a bad president that don't involve etiquette. As Stessier says it's not really a bid deal.

However, it is my understanding that the list below are who gets a salute, and it is also my understanding that the junior officer goes first. These are rules that every member of your military have deeply ingrained in their psyche. How do they feel about it?
Persons Entitled to a Salute

The President of the United States (Commander-in-Chief)
Commissioned Officers and Warrant Officers
Any Medal of Honor Recipient
Officers of Friendly Foreign Countries
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

But those rules are for the military, right? And even going by that, I don't think I'd consider North Korea a friendly foreign country.

I agree that it doesn't ultimately matter, but neither did the color of Obama's suit, his putting his feet on a desk, or saluting with a coffee cup in hand, but man did we not hear the end of that. I think it's being made a deal of specifically because of the hypocrisy that Fox and others are showing by not criticizing Trump for things they lost their minds over when Obama did it.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Meal wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:23 am You can see on Un's face that this was planned, and DJT responded just as they'd hoped would happen.

That said, I don't give a flying f about a symbolic bow or salute or trau-dropping or whatever...
Here's why it matters. Trump was briefed on protocol and advised not to acknowledge. Everyone in the room knew that so it was a test, one that he failed.

Yeah, it's just silly diplomatic gamesmanship but that's part of the freaking job. Now if he doesn't salute some German or Canadian or whatever general it becomes a statement.

He's already shown his complete disdain for the diplomatic corps so I guess this should be no surprise. It's still important. In the avalanche of bullshit and graft and horrible policies it's small but on its own it's imoortant.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Chaz wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:27 pm But those rules are for the military, right? And even going by that, I don't think I'd consider North Korea a friendly foreign country.
The POTUS is the Commander in Chief. It doesn't get any more military than that (at least as far as hierarchy and rank). And it would be hard to argue that NK is a friendly foreign country, but I'm sure there will be many people who would try, if it came down to it.

edit: I don't get what those pictures are referencing.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:45 pm edit: I don't get what those pictures are referencing.
Star Trek
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Specifically, this episode.
It's almost as if people are the problem.