Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2016?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2016?

Post by YellowKing »

Rip wrote:I can totally see NC going to Trump.
Before 2008, NC had not voted for a Democratic candidate since 1976, so it wouldn't be much of a shocker. In general, NC likes its Presidents Republican and its down-ballot politicians Democratic.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holy fucking shit. That's the next sitting president they are denigrating.

I'm not opposed to mocking, parodying and satirizing powerful or important people, but my god, what does this tell the children about their (soon to be) president? Is that really the message a school should be sending to its students?

I don't expect reverence, but a little respect would be nice. This is a place of learning and education. Not exactly the right place to shit all over the republic and its democratic systems. They can attend all the "lock her up" rallies they want on their own time (both the principal and the students).

I would have the same reaction if the situation was reversed and it was Drumpf being denigrated. And I freakin' hate Drumpf with the fire of a thousand burnt combovers.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I am as biased as anyone around here against Hillary but even I can't imagine the absolute stupidity it takes to think that was a good idea.

If I was a parent I would be outraged even though I agree with their political sentiment. A public school is not the place for such things.

edit: Oh and I don't think they were denigrating the next president. That is actually pretty close to how he looks. :P
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

"Intent on taking his Trump costume to it's fullest potential, the Secretary was not given a choice in participating."

(Not an actual quote)
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

We'll see.

Now we play the waiting game.

Well, that's what I do. You could go to rallies/volunteer/actually vote I guess.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

GreenGoo wrote:We'll see.

Now we play the waiting game.

Well, that's what I do. You could go to rallies/volunteer/actually vote I guess.
Come to Chicago. The rally starts in about an hour (for the Cubs) and you can vote as often as you like.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

538 is now showing Florida and Nevada for Clinton again, and her chances increased a percentage point since yesterday. It isn't much at all, but it is the first time in ten days that the trend has changed. Hopefully it represents an end in sight to Trump's momentum.

Perhaps the real possibility of a Trump victory emerging has provided more motivation to voters than the clear victory we were looking at previously.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote:538 is now showing Florida and Nevada for Clinton again, and her chances increased a percentage point since yesterday. It isn't much at all, but it is the first time in ten days that the trend has changed. Hopefully it represents an end in sight to Trump's momentum.

Perhaps the real possibility of a Trump victory emerging has provided more motivation to voters than the clear victory we were looking at previously.
I noticed the blip. Pretty sad when that tiny blip affected my mood slightly. Sigh. This is going to be a long 5 days.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Really not sure to where to toss this.

The link is to a Florida blogger; democratic affiliated pollster. Basically its a rundown of the early vote numbers and he breaks em down by counties. His bottom line, he thinks HRC has a slight edge on trump; but its still razor close. This is current as of today.

Long, but very interesting read.

http://steveschale.com/blog/2016/11/4/i ... ction.html

If this should be elsewhere, let me know.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Newcastle wrote:
If this should be elsewhere, let me know.
I think most of us treat this as the catch-all election thread. It seems fine here.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't want to poopoo this because more jobs = good but I was watching one of the business reports shows, which all tend to be as non partisan as a pro investment interested in the reality of the business world can be and they were saying that the employment is largely going to McJobs (they used a different non prejorative term but I can't remember it). I want to say they called it the U6.

Here we go

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t15.htm

They also said the economy is improving because a non standard indicator, garbage collection, is going up dramatically and people throwing stuff away is one of the best signs that the economy is getting better for people, in general.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Michigan
A 56-year-old Allen Park man has been charged with seven felonies after he allegedly pointed a gun at six children he accused of destroying his Donald Trump lawn sign.

Michael Robert Kubek was arraigned Nov. 1 before 24th District Judge John Courtright. He was charged with six counts of assault with a dangerous weapon and one count of felony firearm.

Shortly after 8 p.m. Oct. 29, Kubek called police to report a group of teens had hit his Trump for president lawn sign, then took off running on Sterling, toward Moore Avenue.

Upon arrival, an officer was unable to find Kubek at his Sterling Avenue house, but the officer heard what was described as a lot of yelling at the corner of Pennsylvania and Sterling.

Police found six children, ranging in age from 12 to 14, sitting on the grass with Kubek yelling and cursing at them. He told the officer he was highly upset because he believed the kids destroyed his Trump sign.

The officer asked Kubek if he witnessed any of the juveniles that were sitting on the grass destroy the sign. According to police, Kubek responded that he did not. He also responded to the officer that he does not have security cameras that could offer proof as to who may have destroyed his lawn sign.
The juveniles told police Kubek accused them of damaging his sign, then he pulled out a pistol and pointed it at them. He then told them to sit down on the grass.

The kids said they tried to tell Kubek they did not damage his sign, but it only resulted with Kubek telling them to shut up and continue cursing at them. They said Kubek held them at gunpoint while his mother called police. According to police, Kubek’s mother lives on the same block.

The officer said he talked with each kid individually and they all confirmed that Kubek pointed a gun at them. Each of them also gave written statements of their account of the incident.
On the night of the incident, Kubek said he heard a group of kids outside his house. When he looked outside, his sign was on the ground and the kids were running away.

The officer asked him again if he could identify any of the kids as the one who damaged his sign, but Kubek repeated that he could not.

The officer then asked Kubek if he pulled out a pistol and pointed it at the kids. According to police, Kubek said “yes.”

In response to another question from the officer, Kubek said he felt threatened because he was outnumbered.

The officer asked Kubek about his intentions with the pistol. Police said Kubek stated he “wanted to scare the kids.” Kubek added that the pistol was unloaded during the incident, and when he pulled the pistol from his waist, the gun was still in its holster.

Kubek said the gun was inside his house and asked the officer if he wanted to see it. The gun was located in the dining room, unloaded and still in its holster. The officer took possession of the gun.
Because there's never been a discharge while in a holster.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Actually a good tactic...we are obsessed by the military and anyone that dons a uniform is an insta-God, especially in or near areas that have large bases.

Hell, just say the word 'military' and many people's eyes just glaze over in obeisance while they nod their heads.

Anyone that dares to question that mentality or spending is seen as unpatriotic.
Well yeah, but in fairness military power is the last area where we're the undisputed leader. You go with what you're good at.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:Well yeah, but in fairness military power is the last area where we're the undisputed leader. You go with what you're good at.
Stupid Canada and their donuts.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote:
Kraken wrote:Well yeah, but in fairness military power is the last area where we're the undisputed leader. You go with what you're good at.
Stupid Canada and their donuts.
I'll bet you dollars to donuts that there are far more boutique donut places here with superior product. Of course, you could never buy one with just a dollar.
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

Federal judge orders voters restored that were purged in those NC counties. That's a significant decision.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Did I see that a judge in OH issued a restraining order against Trump/Stone etc to prevent them from engaging in voter intimidation?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yep
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

An unfortunate typo on ballots in Lonoke County, Arkansas has Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton's name spelled as "Hilliary Clinton." Nobody is quite sure how or why the error happened, but it probably won't be fixed as it is still obvious as to who the candidate is supposed to be.
link

Sure, a "typo", I guess we can go with that.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Defiant wrote:
An unfortunate typo on ballots in Lonoke County, Arkansas has Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton's name spelled as "Hilliary Clinton." Nobody is quite sure how or why the error happened, but it probably won't be fixed as it is still obvious as to who the candidate is supposed to be.
link

Sure, a "typo", I guess we can go with that.
Pretty sure if someone did it intentionally it would have said Hitlery Clinton
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, I voted today! You'll never guess who I voted for for president. This year was the first time Massachusetts has had early voting. The line (in the Jamaica Plain / Mission Hill neighborhood, for the locals around here) was long - took me about an hour and 10 minutes, which had me sweating given that I needed to go pick up my son from school (fortunately, I got in just in the nick of time, and wound up being only ~ 5 minutes late for pickup). From friends and Facebook it sounds like lines like this are pretty typical for early voting, which is semi-surprising given that every previous time I voted (on election day) there has never been a line of more than 5 minutes. The one exception is a friend from Somerville also early voted, and evidently there was no line to speak of there.

Guessing they vastly underestimated early voting demand in Boston proper.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also, in the good news for the pro-civilization fans around here, early news voting from NC and NV seems good:
FWIW Ralston is talking about turnout in Clark county (Vegas county, very pro-democratic). Evidently in 2012 the turnout in Clark was ~48K on the last day, and democrats netted 10,000 votes. Right now it looks like they're on pace to beat 50K in Clark county (part of a general picture of Nevada turnout looking a lot like 2012).

Assuming the race is close on Tuesday, turnout, especially among irregular voters, is going to be determinative.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote:Well, I voted today! You'll never guess who I voted for for president. This year was the first time Massachusetts has had early voting. The line (in the Jamaica Plain / Mission Hill neighborhood, for the locals around here) was long - took me about an hour and 10 minutes, which had me sweating given that I needed to go pick up my son from school (fortunately, I got in just in the nick of time, and wound up being only ~ 5 minutes late for pickup). From friends and Facebook it sounds like lines like this are pretty typical for early voting, which is semi-surprising given that every previous time I voted (on election day) there has never been a line of more than 5 minutes. The one exception is a friend from Somerville also early voted, and evidently there was no line to speak of there.

Guessing they vastly underestimated early voting demand in Boston proper.
Heard on the radio that 20% voted early in MA. With an all-time high of 4.5 million registered voters, that would be 900,000 people.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That's one way to avoid Drumpf's goon squads.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

El Guapo wrote:
FWIW Ralston is talking about turnout in Clark county (Vegas county, very pro-democratic). Evidently in 2012 the turnout in Clark was ~48K on the last day, and democrats netted 10,000 votes. Right now it looks like they're on pace to beat 50K in Clark county (part of a general picture of Nevada turnout looking a lot like 2012).

Assuming the race is close on Tuesday, turnout, especially among irregular voters, is going to be determinative.
Well over 50k now, breaking records. Voting hours had to be extended because the line to vote is hours deep. The pictures on twitter are impressive.

Latinos are going to save this country from Trump.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

mori

Post by mori »

If you do not vote in a battleground state, I urge you to vote for other than one of the major party candidates. If we can get 5% of the national vote it would be a huge achievement for the Libertarian and/or Green Party and they would automatically be on the next Presidential ballet so money could be spent on getting their candidates in front of people instead of expending resources getting them on the ballet. One step closer to ending this electing an unelectable candidate because the other choice is just more unelectable.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

mori wrote: One step closer to ending this electing an unelectable candidate because the other choice is just more unelectable.
Have you even seen the third party candidates this time? :wink: :pop:
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yeah, they aren't exactly poster children for the model Presidential candidate.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Captain Caveman wrote:
El Guapo wrote:

Well over 50k now, breaking records. Voting hours had to be extended because the line to vote is hours deep. The pictures on twitter are impressive.

Latinos are going to save this country from Trump.
Also the democrats apparently won Washoe County (Reno area, generally Republican) today, and lead there in early voting by ~ 1,000 votes.

A latino vote surge generally (especially among irregular voters) is one plausible reason for hope on Tuesday.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Another reason to hate Trump:

He's holding a rally at the airport today at the exact time I need to go pick up my car rental for the vacation we're leaving on. Which means traffic is probably going to be an absolute nightmare and I'm probably not going to get out of town at the time I wanted. :grund:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote:A latino vote surge generally (especially among irregular voters) is one plausible reason for hope on Tuesday.
Yes:
As of Oct. 30, nine days before the Nov. 8 election, 13 percent of the early ballots cast in Arizona came from Latino voters, up from 11 percent at the same point prior to the 2012 presidential election and from 8 percent in 2008.

The increase from 2012 to 2016 is the largest increase in early voting by Latinos in any state, according to statistics compiled by Catalist, a data company that works with progressive candidates and groups.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Final early vote count in NV indicates democrats beat 2012 turnout advantage. Ralston is expecting a big win for democrats statewide (fingers crossed).
Black Lives Matter.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

El Guapo wrote:Final early vote count in NV indicates democrats beat 2012 turnout advantage. Ralston is expecting a big win for democrats statewide (fingers crossed).
And FYI: I think I saw Nate Silver mention that if NV goes for Clinton, his model reduces Trumps chances to about 11%.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Defiant wrote:
mori wrote: One step closer to ending this electing an unelectable candidate because the other choice is just more unelectable.
+1, assuming you are referring to Johnson, who is a joke.

The guy in Utah, McMullin, get him on the ballot and I would consider it. Seems presidential, speaks in measured tones, and with intelligence, not blasting rhetoric. As a liberal, I disagree with most of his positions, but compared to the fake conservative running now on the R ticket, he's a dream. He would also smoke Johnson (!) in a debate.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Defiant wrote:
+1, assuming you are referring to Johnson, who is a joke.

The guy in Utah, McMullin, get him on the ballot and I would consider it. Seems presidential, speaks in measured tones, and with intelligence, not blasting rhetoric. As a liberal, I disagree with most of his positions, but compared to the fake conservative running now on the R ticket, he's a dream. He would also smoke Johnson (!) in a debate.
Johnson and Stein, yeah. McMullin, on the other hand, seems much, much more reasonable. On the other hand, as he's been in the race for all of ten minutes, I'm not sure how much I can be sure of my judgement.