Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Smoove_B »

ImLawBoy wrote:I think that's the beauty of it. No one has any clue what the juggalos will do, but it will likely be something insane.
On paper, Juggalos embrace their outsider/outcast status and welcome all as family. Both groups worship clowns, so it's anybody's guess!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I suspect Faygo will be gulped. Meth smoked. Magnets cast down in fury. And a bunch of different assholes in polos and chinos will march too.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote:Educate me a little here. What do we expect to go down?
What will the ICP do ?
The Jugaloos are an unpredictable bunch with a reputation for being honey badger don't care. I don't think anyone knows what to expect that's why they're :pop:

Edit:

Don't go disrespecting Faygo. Faygo remembers.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I guess I harbor some concerns that the random (perhaps hard to defend) actions of the Jugaloos would be seen as something people that are against the Alt-right need to defend. If it becomes confrontational.

I also need to look up what 'honey badger don't care' means.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Unagi wrote:I also need to look up what 'honey badger don't care' means.
The Honey Badger is a viral video featuring nature documentary footage with voiceover narration provided by Randall, a self-proclaimed animal lover who has since launched a successful YouTube series of similar videos. The Honey Badger video gained a great deal of popularity in early 2011 for its sassy commentary and irreverent personification of the mammals.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So is that to say that the Jugaloos are known for their sassy commentary? Cause that would indeed be fun to throw at a bunch of white supremacists.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Comes from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

It was the first thing that came to mind when I think of "they don't care what you think and are going to do what they are going to do with regard repercussions."
Rip

Post by Rip »

This should get interesting.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08 ... ounts.html
Imran Awan, a former IT aide for Democratic Florida Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, was indicted Thursday on four counts including bank fraud and making false statements.

The indictment also includes his wife Hina Alvi.

The grand jury decision in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia comes roughly a month after Awan was arrested at Dulles airport in Virginia trying to board a plane to Pakistan, where his family is from.

Awan and other IT aides for House Democrats have been on investigators’ radar for months over concerns of possible double-billing, alleged equipment theft, and access to sensitive computer systems. Most lawmakers fired Awan in February, but Schultz had kept him on until his arrest in July.

The indictment itself, which merely represents formal charges and is not a finding of guilt, addresses separate allegations that Awan and his wife engaged in a conspiracy to obtain home equity lines of credit from the Congressional Federal Credit Union by giving false information about two properties – and then sending the proceeds to individuals in Pakistan.

The case has put renewed scrutiny on Wasserman Schultz for keeping Awan on the payroll for months, even after a criminal investigation was revealed and he was barred from the House IT network.
A grand-jury can actually be pretty fast when they have actual evidence to look at.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

and a bit slower when it has a shit-ton of evidence to look at.
Rip

Post by Rip »

What is funny is that this story broke many hours ago and just a second ago not anything on CNN about it. They haven't had anything on Imran Awan since the end of July.

Meanwhile hundreds of news sites from all over the world have picked it up and reported on it already.

:think:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Meanwhile, FOXNews is having trouble getting Repblicans to come on and talk about anything going down these days.
Unthinkable
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oh wait.
I get it.
This is supposed to Change that. Right?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

A record number of democrats have filed to run for the House (and raised at least $5,000 for their race). Like, 4-5 times the usual number.

Which as the article says, correlates well to a strong showing for the party, although I suspect the political environment causes the large number of candidates, rather than the reverse. Though it also does probably result in stronger candidates (since it means more vetting via primaries).
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

OH, SNAP!
link
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Moliere wrote:10 Sailors Missing After USS John S. McCain Collides With Merchant Ship

Is the Navy playing bumper cars? WTF?
The Trump method of updating our military and creating jobs.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote:OH, SNAP!
link
It wouldn't surprise me if the antagonists were all paid actors. Fuckface barely flinches when drenched with supposedly hot coffee? Seems fishy.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

9% in new ABC poll call it acceptable to hold neo-Nazi or white supremacist views - about 22 million Americans

Jeebus.

I really wish there was a benchmark for gauging whether this number is rising or whether it's always been this way.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

9% or 3 in 10 of 35% of the voting populace doesn't sound far fetched or growing to me. It's not something to be proud of but it doesn't unreasonable or insurmountable.
Captain Caveman

LordMortis wrote:9% or 3 in 10 of 35% of the voting populace doesn't sound far fetched or growing to me. It's not something to be proud of but it doesn't unreasonable or insurmountable.
If the "9%" stat includes polling of minorities, who I presume are highly unlikely to say that white supremacist views are acceptable, that means that the rate is probably a lot higher among white Americans. Isn't the US population about 2/3rds white, maybe less?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Captain Caveman wrote:
LordMortis wrote:9% or 3 in 10 of 35% of the voting populace doesn't sound far fetched or growing to me. It's not something to be proud of but it doesn't unreasonable or insurmountable.
If the "9%" stat includes polling of minorities, who I presume are highly unlikely to say that white supremacist views are acceptable, that means that the rate is probably a lot higher among white Americans. Isn't the US population about 2/3rds white, maybe less?
That's among "strong Trump supporters," or 35% of the electorate as LM noted. Unlikely to be a significant percentage of minorities in that group.
Captain Caveman

Kraken wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
That's among "strong Trump supporters," or 35% of the electorate as LM noted. Unlikely to be a significant percentage of minorities in that group.
No, the 9% stat is based on a random national sample of 1,014 American adults, not just Trump supporters. You can see a pdf of the poll results here.

In the second link, there are poll results among just Trump supporters, with about a 1/3rd of those who say they strongly support Trump saying they accept or are indifferent to white supremacists views.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
No, the 9% stat is based on a random national sample of 1,014 American adults, not just Trump supporters. You can see a pdf of the poll results here.

In the second link, there are poll results among just Trump supporters, with about a 1/3rd of those who say they strongly support Trump saying they accept or are indifferent to white supremacists views.
I stand corrected. WaPo won't let me read stories. :x
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

1/3 of 35% (that still support Trump) is around 9%. I am not surprised and I don't think it's a rise. I'm not saying "It's awesome that nearly 1 in 10 Americans might be Nazi apologists in 2017!" (and I suspect the number may be more) I'm saying I'm not surprised and I don't think the number has increased in the last 12 months, nor even 36 months, nor 9 years. I think they've been emboldened by Obama's election and further so by Trump's election but I don't think their numbers have grown.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Their numbers have grown and are growing to the extent that internet culture has given white supremacy a place to nurture and thrive.

That place isn't necessarily just Stormfront-level full-on Nazism. A lot of the younger dudes seem to have come to the alt-right through "Men's Rights" and Gamergate avenues.

The weepy dude who was profiled in the Vice video (and who was just arrested for assault) apparently got his start in MRA online culture.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Captain Caveman wrote:
It depends on how you classify latinos and how many latinos are like Zimmerman.

I'm not sure I totally pull the same conclusion from the poll though. The phrasing of "9 percent overall call it acceptable to hold neo-Nazi or white supremacist views" is a little odd, as I there are very few views I would say are unacceptable to have. It's what you do about them. There may be a bit of libertarian influence in the answer. I, personally would say neo-Nazi is unacceptable, but if you want to be a white supremacist, you're entitled to be a dumbass if you don't infringe on other peoples rights. I understand the argument that those two things may be mutually exclusive.

edit: I find the views unacceptable, but one's right to have them is almost ok (not really)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

http://www.eoionline.org/blog/x-marks-t ... -dig-here/

I don't agree with the hypothesis and I don't think the author makes any causal connections but I think the article is interesting if nothing else because of phenomena that forces the author to write an opinion about it.

If I took a stab it, I'd bet 75 is when we began hardcore shifting to global goods consumption in the US, which sadly is mating call of MAGA, not accepting that that genie is forever out of the bottle.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Labor union membership goes flat in the 1960s and then begins its relentless decline after 1970?
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I think it's probably a combination of items.

However, if I were going to pick one, I'd say the increased participation in the workforce by women and minorities as equality grew.

I'm pro Civil Rights and equality, in case I needed to say it. I'm not trying to blame women or minorities.

An increased number of people wanting to work would lead to competition for the same jobs and a drop in or stagnation of compensation. Combine that with the previously mentioned drop in labor union participation and it makes sense that wages have not kept up with the times.

Also greedy people at the top using their control of capital to maintain the social and economic status previously given to white males solely by birth. :mrgreen:

https://www.dol.gov/wb/stats/facts_over_time.htm

Enlarge Image
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote:http://www.eoionline.org/blog/x-marks-t ... -dig-here/

I don't agree with the hypothesis and I don't think the author makes any causal connections but I think the article is interesting if nothing else because of phenomena that forces the author to write an opinion about it.

If I took a stab it, I'd bet 75 is when we began hardcore shifting to global goods consumption in the US, which sadly is mating call of MAGA, not accepting that that genie is forever out of the bottle.
It's maybe a dumb question, but I'm not seeing it listed anywhere:

Are we sure this is US data only, or is it worldwide (or even say the UK)?

Assuming it is (and it jibes with my understanding of the phenomena), it would be interesting to compare to other 1st world countries over that period.

That could also serve as a control for the author's untested hypothesis. Different culture, different moral changes, etc.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I assumed it is US only.

The source appears to be the BLS, which again suggests the US, but :oops: I got nuthin'.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I'd bet computers and robotics.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

noxiousdog wrote:I'd bet computers and robotics.
My hypothesis as well. NASA had the big push for miniaturization amd IBM started the transition from being a typewriter/adding machine company to providing big iron.

I also won't count out the longer term effects of OPEC/stagflation. Think the US auto industry which couldn't adjust and had their lunch eaten by the Japanese and the effects that had on a number of unionized industries (auto and steel really spring to mind) which trickled down to others.

I doubt that graph is the same in Japan, for example.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pyperkub wrote:
I also won't count out the longer term effects of OPEC/stagflation. Think the US auto industry which couldn't adjust and had their lunch eaten by the Japanese and the effects that had on a number of unionized industries (auto and steel really spring to mind) which trickled down to others.

I doubt that graph is the same in Japan, for example.
That's probably what got the ball rolling...or made it stop rolling...in the '70s. By 1980 the Reagan administration began implementing the policies that led to today's extreme income inequality. Even if they weren't the prime driver, Reagonomics and its ghosts certainly helped siphon wealth away from the lower and middle classes.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I don't think the theory about values is too far off the mark but agree it lacks causality. I think the major driver that kicked it off was a surge of labor into the labor pool - namely the baby boomers (including the ladies for an extra boost to the labor supply). Inflation was high at the time as well. That depressed wages in favor of "owners of capital". I also agree with Kraken that Reaganomics was a heavy factor. Supply side and other crank theories arose which essentially were invented to give air cover to the shift in values the author claims.

Either way it has been 40 years now and we have a miserable, terrible human being leading us. Craven leaders of the majority party in Congress. A me-first Wall Street that tells bed time stories about how they are doing God's work. Automation is really starting to affect major industries. And the political system has been rearranged to deliver them the lion's share of power. Of course they are sucking up all the wealth. They've built the system to work that way. It wasn't natural and I think the author has a valid point even if he hasn't joined all the dots.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Let's hope that legislators in other states have more sympathy than those in Texas. You know, all those that voted against emergency funding for Hurricane Sandy victims who are now getting clobbered by Harvey.
In the wake of Hurricane Sandy, a storm that hit New Jersey and New York in 2015, eight Texas Republicans voted against increasing flood insurance, and 23 voted against emergency funding for victims.

Both measures ultimately passed the House and Senate before being signed into law by President Obama. But the history of votes against flood insurance benefiting other needy states could come back to haunt Texas members of Congress should they have to apply for federal funding themselves after Hurricane Harvey. Projected damages from the storm could reach nearly $40 billion.

Weber, whose coastal district will be affected by Hurricane Harvey and has been racked by flooding in the past, called for President Obama to back a FEMA funding bill in October 2013. He defended his vote against the Sandy relief bill because it raised the deficit and was “full of pork.”

"We're continually bailing out this program and it's clear that it's no longer solvent," Heather Vaughan, a spokeswoman for Neugebauer, said after the votes. Neugebauer co-sponsored the program's expansion in 2005 after Hurricane Emily hit Texas, but not in 2013 for Sandy.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

New pilot program leaves bikes all over Seattle

Solution? Expand the program from 1000 bikes to 10,000 bikes. Brilliant! :?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Looks like you just solved the "Seattle Hates Jobs" thread!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote:Enlarge Image

New pilot program leaves bikes all over Seattle

Solution? Expand the program from 1000 bikes to 10,000 bikes. Brilliant! :?
Looks like a post-Bully bike race!