He won. Period.
Alefroth

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Alefroth »

:lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It took Donald Trump to bring Kirk Douglas down.
-I.M. Sparticus
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its a bad thing to say but Im glad Rush is getting the fuck off my planet sooner rather than later. He missed his ride years ago.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Eli Wiesel
Rosa Parks
Neil Armstrong
Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya Angelou
Jonas Salk

Rush Limbaugh

Yup, this is where we are as a country right now.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:36 am Eli Wiesel
Rosa Parks
Neil Armstrong
Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya Angelou
Jonas Salk

Rush Limbaugh

Yup, this is where we are as a country right now.
In MAGA land, giving it to Rush is only fair.

Think of how the white supremacists feel when it goes to a civil rights hero.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rick Perlstein's latest history of modern American conservatism has a publication date (August 2020).

Perlstein is well-regarded for the depth of his research and the liveliness of his writing. His previous books (Before the Storm, Nixonland, and The Invisible Bridge) are essential. I pray that American democracy survives long enough to see his Bush and Trump volumes.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anyone else sit through tonight's 2.5-hour debate?

None of the people on stage were unqualified. They've all done this enough times now to loosen up and enjoy being there, and there were some genuine moments of comity among rivals. There was even a man hug.

Yang and Steyer are good men, and I hope they get positions of influence in the new administration. I might be developing a man crush on Yang's Math pin and wry humor. The prospect of a free $1,000/mo doesn't hurt. But Yang never got beyond his UBI angle, and never had a good chance to sell it.

Klobuchar continues to rub me the wrong way. I just viscerally dislike her. That said, she gave a good accounting for herself with a strong closing statement.

Warren...I don't think she poached any votes from Sanders, and she's not going to take NH. She did make a strong play for black support; I can't judge whether that was sincere or will succeed, but she's looking ahead to SC. The way she downplays being from MA, I'm not surprised that she gets no neighbor-state bump. Frankly, I don't think she's going to take MA. Massholes resent that she's spent two years of her Senate term running for president, and that she casts herself as a salt-of-the-earth Oklahoman.

Sanders, OTOH, was at the top of his game. He seemed more in-the-moment and fell back on campaign rhetoric less often. Wife just asked me who I thought "won," and I gave Sanders the trophy (with a footnote about Warren and SC and playing the long game).

If the party wants Biden to be the nominee, they have to schedule these things earlier. Joe always fades as the night goes on. I think the Buttman will crush him and become the leading moderate next week.

For his part, Buttigieg adeptly deflected incoming fire from all of the other leaders. I won't say he won, but he didn't lose, and that's a win under the circumstances.

I do find it odd that Biden never manages to capitalize on Trump singling him out. He doesn't know how to seize all the free press he gets from the Ukraine scandal. A better politician would use that to monopolize the spotlight. But Joe doesn't do media very well so his handlers keep him out of it. That's dumb given his financial challenges.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I watched (well listened) to part of it in the background. Steyer had a good moment, when the candidates were getting into the weeds, and he pretty much said "I trust you all 1000X more than Trump when it comes to healthcare, but we need to focus more on defeating Trump and the economy".

Everyone seemed to do OK, with good moments and bad moments. Except.. why is Yang even in the debates? He barely talks, and when he does talk he's mostly just pivoting to UBI (I think he said that MLK endorsed his UBI?).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I looked up UBI. Unfortunately it is not Ultimate Butter Injection.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Steyer clearly knows he isn't getting the nomination, so he keeps throwing in little controversial issues and going '*i* support this, what about you all?'. some things that need to be said... i also appreciate his standing in as an Inslee surrogate on climate change.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:28 am I looked up UBI. Unfortunately it is not Ultimate Butter Injection.
You, of all people, should love $1,000 a month free and clear. You are exactly who it's meant to uplift, and a fair number of Democrats think it's a good idea. Yang just hasn't gotten enough attention to make his argument, unless you seek it out on his website. Yang is the guy who would improve your life the most, assuming you make the leap of faith that he could actually get it implemented...but in the alternate universe where he becomes president, he has such a mandate that it's possible.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:27 am Anyone else sit through tonight's 2.5-hour debate?
I had it on in the background!
If the party wants Biden to be the nominee, they have to schedule these things earlier. Joe always fades as the night goes on. I think the Buttman will crush him and become the leading moderate next week.
I agree - he was fiery at times which was good. He needs to show some backbone. That said, the main thing I'll say about the timing is 'Why Friday night'? Who are they talking to? Football is over. Sunday is much better.
For his part, Buttigieg adeptly deflected incoming fire from all of the other leaders. I won't say he won, but he didn't lose, and that's a win under the circumstances.
This is I disagree on. He got winged again on African American support. That is his achilles heel and the moderator and Warren kicked at it. He fumbled badly on that portion. It is the single most important thing to consider with him...even beyond his youth/inexperience. Biden correctly said the Democratic party can not take that vote for granted. It is a long shot that Trump peels the Black vote away but I believe the risk rises significantly with Pete on the ticket. Unless he figures out that dodging questions like he did about race issues back home makes him look he doesn't want to confront the issue. Those voters are going to see right through it - they are starting from deep skepticism to begin with.
I do find it odd that Biden never manages to capitalize on Trump singling him out. He doesn't know how to seize all the free press he gets from the Ukraine scandal. A better politician would use that to monopolize the spotlight. But Joe doesn't do media very well so his handlers keep him out of it. That's dumb given his financial challenges.
It isn't just a Biden problem. It is a symptom of the Democrats being 'holistically bad at politics' (stealing from Rick Wilson there). Rick Wilson and Carville were both talking about how everyone missed opportunities to attack Trump in recent weeks. They just don't understand media and that could be disastrous with this President. It worries me incredibly. The debate being held on a Friday is just a bit of that ineptitude on display. They just don't get how to win.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Also: Biden's answers all come back to "me and Barak," he spends more time talking about the past than the future, and he lives in a fantasy world where the GOP comes to its senses as soon as Trump is out. I don't get where his supposed electability advantage comes from; he looks like a very weak campaigner to me. Maybe that bubble will pop when he comes in 3rd or 4th in NH.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

His oldman'ism is what I see. He was fine a few years ago but now comes across as ancient to me. The way he moves and especially the way he talks and searches for words in sentences...hell sentences. Its like the Dems are propping him up. Trump cant speak any better though and probably worse.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
German Chancellor Angela Merkel's would-be successor said on Monday she will not run for the premiership following a rocky year at the helm of her party, which culminated in a crisis last week as regional representatives aligned with the far right.

The announcement from Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, the leader of Merkel's Christian Democrats, that she will not run for chancellor in next year's elections plunged the party, and the country, into political uncertainty.

Kramp-Karrenbauer said she will step aside as party leader when a new candidate for the premiership is chosen. "We are currently feeling strong centrifugal forces within our society and party," she said in a news conference. "We have to be stronger, stronger than today."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is hard to understand how the world fought a bare knuckles global war to decide on the future as facist free and now we're back at it nearly a hundred years later.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 pm It is hard to understand how the world fought a bare knuckles global war to decide on the future as facist free and now we're back at it nearly a hundred years later.
Eternal vigilance is the price of something or other.

Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

People are always seeking power, the population has become complacent, social media makes it easier to manipulate people on a grand scale, anti-intellectualism is a thing. We're all doomed.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This election needs to be over. Sitting here, watching criminals laugh at the law, watching the US act like a parody villain nation from an 80s action film, all of it has put me in a 24/7 foul mood. I'm snappy, I'm irritable, and I don't like it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:32 pm This election needs to be over. Sitting here, watching criminals laugh at the law, watching the US act like a parody villain nation from an 80s action film, all of it has put me in a 24/7 foul mood. I'm snappy, I'm irritable, and I don't like it.
If I understand the point of this article (posted about earlier), this feeling is what will give Dems the White House and perhaps the Senate this year. Rage is powerful electoral motivator.

Let the Hate flow through you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I have a feeling the health impacts the last 4 years will be huge. I know people not sleeping, over eating (one calls it Trump binging), depression, etc.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:59 pm I have a feeling the health impacts the last 4 years will be huge. I know people not sleeping, over eating (one calls it Trump binging), depression, etc.
Preach.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:46 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:32 pm This election needs to be over. Sitting here, watching criminals laugh at the law, watching the US act like a parody villain nation from an 80s action film, all of it has put me in a 24/7 foul mood. I'm snappy, I'm irritable, and I don't like it.
If I understand the point of this article (posted about earlier), this feeling is what will give Dems the White House and perhaps the Senate this year. Rage is powerful electoral motivator.

Let the Hate flow through you!
Yes. The enemy wants us demoralized to the point of surrender, and is doing everything in their power to keep us away from the polls. That's the only way they can win.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was describing something (a government program) to students last semester - one that was enacted around 2014/2015. During a pause, one of the students stopped me to ask if what I was describing was real. To her, the program (focused on feeding school children) didn't sound like something the federal government would be doing. She had no recent point of reference for how or why that would work or why the federal government would be interested in doing it. Soul crushing beyond words. I honestly don't know how to navigate another 4 years of this; it's unthinkable. Depressing, frightening...so many different feels rolled into one. I have no doubts studies will be done (assuming we survive).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Less than a year after 2016 election, I went for my usual check-up and the doctor noticed that I had higher BP than normal. I told her, completely seriously, that I think it's due to Trump. She responded, completely seriously, that Trump wouldn't cause high BP. :|
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:27 pm Less than a year after 2016 election, I went for my usual check-up and the doctor noticed that I had higher BP than normal. I told her, completely seriously, that I think it's due to Trump. She responded, completely seriously, that Trump wouldn't cause high BP. :|
Pretty sure it's a thing, actually. Trump hypertension. Sadly he probably gets off on causing it.

MYT
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:59 pm I have a feeling the health impacts the last 4 years will be huge. I know people not sleeping, over eating (one calls it Trump binging), depression, etc.
I will say, in my life, one upside is that I have been drinking less.

Less expensive vodka but more of it so the effect on my budget is null!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:27 pm Less than a year after 2016 election, I went for my usual check-up and the doctor noticed that I had higher BP than normal. I told her, completely seriously, that I think it's due to Trump. She responded, completely seriously, that Trump wouldn't cause high BP. :|
White-coat hypertension is a thing. Why not Orange-criminal hypertension?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:18 pmWhite-coat hypertension is a thing.
It is, but my cardiologist told me while it might be happening because of a white coat, the fact that your BP jumps so significantly while under perceived immediate stress is likely an issue regardless.

Whatever is happening with Trump is much longer than that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

High levels of chronic stress over time are more likely than transient stress to contribute to sustained behavioral and physiological changes that increase hypertension risk.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pm I was describing something (a government program) to students last semester - one that was enacted around 2014/2015. During a pause, one of the students stopped me to ask if what I was describing was real. To her, the program (focused on feeding school children) didn't sound like something the federal government would be doing. She had no recent point of reference for how or why that would work or why the federal government would be interested in doing it. Soul crushing beyond words. I honestly don't know how to navigate another 4 years of this; it's unthinkable. Depressing, frightening...so many different feels rolled into one. I have no doubts studies will be done (assuming we survive).
You should go out of your way to prepare a full lesson on the New Deal.

(I really feel like Sanders should sell his candidacy as an attempt to do at least half of what FDR accomplished. If we could do it in the shadow of the Depression, imagine what we should be able to do with today's economy. Most of all, we've done it before.)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Independent
Republican politician and Donald Trump ally Jim Jordan, pleaded with a student athlete to deny that he knew about an infamous sexual abuse scandal that rocked one of the nation’s leading universities, a public hearing has been told.

Adam DiSabato, a champion wrestler at Ohio State University, told state legislators that Mr Jordan asked him to stop his brother making claims he had turned a blind eye to the abuse of athletes by team doctor, Richard Strauss.

“Jim Jordan called me crying, crying, grovelling, on the Fourth of July…begging me to go against my brother, begging me, crying for half an hour,” Mr told Tuesday’s hearing.

According to The Hill, he added: “That’s the kind of cover-ups that’s going on here.”

He said he called to ask him to hush his brother, whistleblower Mike DiSabato, in the summer of 2018 after reports were published in the media, revealing abuse dating back several decades.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

While I hate to peddle in conspiracy theories, I'm not at all convinced there isn't some pedophile shit going on in the Republican party. "But YK" you cry, "Don't stoop to accusing the GOP of what they accused the Clintons of." And I reply, "Ever notice how much the GOP projects?"

It's only reinforced by the recent discovery that two of our local school superintendents (rich, white, Republican) both covered up sexual abuse allegations in area elementary schools.

Then you throw in the other rumors you always hear - Bush attending weird sex parties, Bohemian grove, that molester candidate they ran, Trump's accusations against underage girls, his affiliation with Epstein.

All I'm saying is I find it weird that so many people would turn into Trump lapdogs unless he had something on them. Something REALLY bad that went beyond financial gain.

Yes I know I'm in tinfoil hat territory, but I'm just saying it's a thought that I always have in the back of my mind. And then stuff like this comes out and I just nod my head and go "yep."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Powerful institutions are excellent ways to be able to get away with very bad things. Religions, governments, universities...once infiltrated they are great hideouts. Is it happening with swaths of the GOP? Well...hell yes it is. But it's not unique to the GOP.

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:47 pm ...stuff...
Remember the Hunger Games? Yeah, that wasn't pure fantasy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:47 pm All I'm saying is I find it weird that so many people would turn into Trump lapdogs unless he had something on them. Something REALLY bad that went beyond financial gain.
The desire to accumulate and hold power as well of wealth. The believe in their own righteousness. The desire to see them suffer... and of course there are abusive people who thrive on being in a position where they can continue to abuse. I'm betting that's a pretty common (comparatively) to seeking power, just as being a cop is attractive to abusive people not capable of seeking power at an administrative or financial level.

I can't speak to dirt Trump holds on others but I wouldn't doubt for a moment that many who embrace Eric "To me, they're not even people. It's so, so sad." Trump are in a class abusive people all fantasizing about being Roman Emperor's of old.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:47 pm All I'm saying is I find it weird that so many people would turn into Trump lapdogs unless he had something on them. Something REALLY bad that went beyond financial gain.
For most (and easily the Pompeo, Barr, etc long-term conservatives), all the motive they need is the chance to remake norms and laws to preserve Republican rule. For two decades they've seen the writing on the wall in the form of American demographic and cultural shift, and they know they're only becoming less and less viable in fair elections.

Ah, but if they can do something about the "fair" part...

Trump's lawlessness came along at just the right time, and they're not going to miss their chance. I have no doubt that Bill Barr, for instance, sees Trump as nothing but a buffoon, but an incredibly useful one.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 pmTrump's lawlessness came along at just the right time, and they're not going to miss their chance. I have no doubt that Bill Barr, for instance, sees Trump as nothing but a buffoon, but an incredibly useful one.
Indeed. Barr has allegedly had a view of nearly absolute Presidential power that goes back a *long time*. He finally found a weak-minded dip shit willing to go along with it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hey, let's see what those "do nothing Democrats" are up to:
During a television interview, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said that 395 bills sitting in the Senate are not going to be passed.

On Fox News Friday, anchor Bret Baier asked McConnell if Democrats' statements about those bills were true and whether they could move forward. McConnell confirmed that it was the case, but also said that proposed legislation would be rejected.

"It is true," the senator said. "They've been on full left-wing parade over there, trotting out all of their left-wing solutions that are going to be issues in the fall campaign. They're right. We're not going to pass those."
Hey Mitch - Go F yourself you craven sack of crap.