Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Political Randomness

Post by El Guapo »

I'd say Northam's probability of resigning is down to ~ 5% (and that chance is contingent mainly upon more stuff coming out).

Fairfax is probably highest at this point. Herring's probably 1%.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In the age of Donald Trump and Steve King, there's a non-zero possibility all three of them survive unscathed, in terms of them not resigning, at least.

One wonders what that does for Herring and Fairfax's 2021 aspirations, however.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Remember when we gave Canada shit for having all those crazy mayors?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:32 pm I'd say Northam's probability of resigning is down to ~ 5% (and that chance is contingent mainly upon more stuff coming out).

Yep, the wildfire spreading has definitely taken a lot of focus off of him.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:59 pm Remember when we gave Canada shit for having all those crazy mayors?
Don't give up. Quebec City has a flat earther Councilwoman. You go, Quebec City.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:45 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:59 pm Remember when we gave Canada shit for having all those crazy mayors?
Don't give up. Quebec City has a flat earther Councilwoman. You go, Quebec City.
A Flat Earther in Canada?? How is that possible? You're way up there where it curves!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ignorance knows no geometry.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:32 pm I'd say Northam's probability of resigning is down to ~ 5% (and that chance is contingent mainly upon more stuff coming out).

Patrick Hope, an Democrat in Virginia's House of Delegates, is going to introduce articles of impeachment against Fairfax if he hasn't resigned by Monday.

:shock: :shock:
Hodor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Someone should explain to him how "both sides partisanship" works.

But both sides, for sure though. Republicans are constantly turning on each other for honorable (or the semblance of honor anyway) reasons.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LET THE BOWL DECIDE, as God intended.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

The best man for the job:
http://tinyurl.com/yxhrqh82
He/Him/His/Porcupine
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm overseas and caught up on this. This whole thing seems to me to be another sign that all standards have been completely thrown out the window. I'm loving that in the "Trump"-period we are the point that ignoring decency and accountability at the highest levels is now the gold standard. Long May the Coonman Reign. :roll:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Holman wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:51 pm Sad news: RIP, John Dingell.
John Dingell: My last words for America
John D. Dingell, a Michigan Democrat who served in the U.S. House from 1955 to 2015, was the longest-serving member of Congress in American history. He dictated these reflections to his wife, Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-Mich.), at their home in Dearborn, on Feb. 7, the day he died.

One of the advantages to knowing that your demise is imminent, and that reports of it will not be greatly exaggerated, is that you have a few moments to compose some parting thoughts.

In our modern political age, the presidential bully pulpit seems dedicated to sowing division and denigrating, often in the most irrelevant and infantile personal terms, the political opposition.

And much as I have found Twitter to be a useful means of expression, some occasions merit more than 280 characters.

My personal and political character was formed in a different era that was kinder, if not necessarily gentler. We observed modicums of respect even as we fought, often bitterly and savagely, over issues that were literally life and death to a degree that — fortunately – we see much less of today.

Think about it:

Impoverishment of the elderly because of medical expenses was a common and often accepted occurrence. Opponents of the Medicare program that saved the elderly from that cruel fate called it “socialized medicine.” Remember that slander if there’s a sustained revival of silly red-baiting today.

Not five decades ago, much of the largest group of freshwater lakes on Earth — our own Great Lakes — were closed to swimming and fishing and other recreational pursuits because of chemical and bacteriological contamination from untreated industrial and wastewater disposal. Today, the Great Lakes are so hospitable to marine life that one of our biggest challenges is controlling the invasive species that have made them their new home.

We regularly used and consumed foods, drugs, chemicals and other things (cigarettes) that were legal, promoted and actively harmful. Hazardous wastes were dumped on empty plots in the dead of night. There were few if any restrictions on industrial emissions. We had only the barest scientific knowledge of the long-term consequences of any of this.

And there was a great stain on America, in the form of our legacy of racial discrimination. There were good people of all colors who banded together, risking and even losing their lives to erase the legal and other barriers that held Americans down. In their time, they were often demonized and targeted, much like other vulnerable men and women today.

Please note: All of these challenges were addressed by Congress. Maybe not as fast as we wanted, or as perfectly as hoped. The work is certainly not finished. But we’ve made progress — and in every case, from the passage of Medicare through the passage of civil rights, we did it with the support of Democrats and Republicans who considered themselves first and foremost to be Americans.

I’m immensely proud, and eternally grateful, for having had the opportunity to play a part in all of these efforts during my service in Congress. And it’s simply not possible for me to adequately repay the love that my friends, neighbors and family have given me and shown me during my public service and retirement.

But I would be remiss in not acknowledging the forgiveness and sweetness of the woman who has essentially supported me for almost 40 years: my wife, Deborah. And it is a source of great satisfaction to know that she is among the largest group of women to have ever served in the Congress (as she busily recruits more).

In my life and career, I have often heard it said that so-and-so has real power — as in, “the powerful Wile E. Coyote, chairman of the Capture the Road Runner Committee.”

It’s an expression that has always grated on me. In democratic government, elected officials do not have power. They hold power — in trust for the people who elected them. If they misuse or abuse that public trust, it is quite properly revoked (the quicker the better).

I never forgot the people who gave me the privilege of representing them. It was a lesson learned at home from my father and mother, and one I have tried to impart to the people I’ve served with and employed over the years.

As I prepare to leave this all behind, I now leave you in control of the greatest nation of mankind and pray God gives you the wisdom to understand the responsibility you hold in your hands.

May God bless you all, and may God bless America.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:11 pm

Patrick Hope, an Democrat in Virginia's House of Delegates, is going to introduce articles of impeachment against Fairfax if he hasn't resigned by Monday.

:shock: :shock:
Seems like it makes all the sense in the world for the Democrats to force out at least one of the three. Once one is gone they can replace them with someone new (who they damn well better check by reviewing yearbooks and consulting with women). Then if Northam and Herring ultimately go down, Lt. Gov. TBD can be governor.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 am (who they damn well better check by reviewing yearbooks and consulting with women)
:D

I'll check with my wife. I don't anticipate any issue.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Walter Jones, congressman behind 'freedom fries', dies at 76
Republican congressman Walter B Jones, known for changing the name of French fries in government cafeterias to "freedom fries", has died.

Mr Jones was a keen supporter of the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and pushed for the name change in protest against France's opposition to the war.

But he later had a complete change of heart, becoming one of the most vocal critics of the war in his party.

His office confirmed that he died on 10 February, his 76th birthday.

Mr Jones represented his district for 34 years, first in the North Carolina state legislature, then in Congress.
After 34 years in office, being the Freedom Fries guy is a hell of an epitaph.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 am (who they damn well better check by reviewing yearbooks and consulting with women)
:D

I'll check with my wife. I don't anticipate any issue.
I mean, just a quick "hey, does anyone know anyone who has been assaulted by this guy?" check seems prudent at this point.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Two Jewish House Democrats, alarmed by what they consider anti-Semitic comments from new Muslim colleagues, are urging Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her top lieutenants to denounce the divisive rhetoric and take action to stop it.

Reps. Josh Gottheimer (N.J.) and Elaine Luria (Va.) are gathering signatures on a letter asking Pelosi (Calif.), House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (Md.) and other senior Democrats to confront freshman Reps. Ilhan Omar (Minn.) and Rashida Tlaib (Mich.) by “reiterating our rejection of anti-Semitism and our continued support for the State of Israel.”
Although the letter does not name Omar and Tlaib, its intention couldn’t be clearer. In fact, Jewish lawmakers in recent weeks have huddled privately to discuss what they should do about their new colleagues, who openly criticize Israel and have made insensitive comments about Jews and Jewish Americans.

The last straw came Sunday night, when Omar suggested in a tweet that House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) supported Israel only for campaign donations.

“It’s all about the Benjamins baby,” she wrote, an apparent reference to the 1997 Puff Daddy single featuring the Notorious B.I.G., Lil’ Kim and The Lox.
When people asked what Omar meant by McCarthy’s motives being “all about the Benjamins,” she tweeted, “AIPAC,” referring to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, an influential pro-Israel lobbying group that has spent millions sending lawmakers on visits to the Jewish nation over the years.
AIPAC, which is not a political action committee, does not make campaign contributions to politicians, but its individual members can make donations, and the organization spends millions on lobbying efforts for pro-Israel legislation every year. In 2018, AIPAC spent more than $3.5 million lobbying for pro-Israel measures, according to lobbying disclosure filings maintained by the Senate’s Office of Public Records. Such legislation includes financial support for Israel and measures that would ban boycotts of Israel, including the BDS movement that Omar and Tlaib support.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I've seen more about Tlaib, but their comments in general are pretty disturbing.
Black Lives Matter.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:27 pm I've seen more about Tlaib, but their comments in general are pretty disturbing.
Is it anti-semtic to point out that Republicans receive lots of campaign cash from AIPAC? :think:
stessier

Post by stessier »

Exodor wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:21 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:27 pm I've seen more about Tlaib, but their comments in general are pretty disturbing.
Is it anti-semtic to point out that Republicans receive lots of campaign cash from AIPAC? :think:
AIPAC is not a PAC and doesn't donate directly to campaigns (which I only know because I read the article). :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

From that snippet I don't see anything antisemitic I can't speak to other examples as they aren't present.

I do think she owes it to her constituency, Congress, and the American people to not be nebulous if she is going to link AIPAC to financially pocketing US lawmakers. It's a bold statement and without illustrating how they're pocketed, *does* make her look like a conspiracy bigot. To me that a first eye brow raise, not a last straw.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

stessier wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:29 pm
AIPAC is not a PAC and doesn't donate directly to campaigns (which I only know because I read the article). :)
Ok, then.

Is it anti-semetic to point out that Republicans receive lots of campaign cash from pro-Israel interests?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:29 pm
Right. Their members do the donating. AIPAC spends money on lobbying.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
House Democratic leaders released a joint statement condemning one of the two first Muslim women to serve in Congress for comments on social media widely condemned as anti-Semitic.

"We are and will always be strong supporters of Israel in Congress because we understand that our support is based on shared values and strategic interests. Legitimate criticism of Israel's policies is protected by the values of free speech and democratic debate that the United States and Israel share," said the statement led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. "But Congresswoman Omar's use of anti-Semitic tropes and prejudicial accusations about Israel's supporters is deeply offensive. We condemn these remarks and we call upon Congresswoman Omar to immediately apologize for these hurtful comments."

The statement was issued jointly with Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, Majority Whip James Clyburn, Assistant Speaker Ben Ray Luján, Caucus Chairman Hakeem Jeffries and Caucus Vice Chairwoman Katherine Clark.
Meanwhile, Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said in a statement that the GOP will "take action this week to ensure the House speaks out against this hatred and stands with Israel and the Jewish people." McCarthy did not offer specifics, but Republicans are considering options that include trying to force a vote on a resolution led Rep. Lee Zeldin, R-N.Y., that condemns anti-Semitism broadly and specifically calls out Omar.

A spokesman for Omar has not responded to NPR's request for comment.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm going to start a political consultancy business called, "Stay the Fuck Off Twitter." My my simple, single-point advice will be a proprietary trade secret.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:08 pm I'm going to start a political consultancy business called, "Stay the Fuck Off Twitter." My my simple, single-point advice will be a proprietary trade secret.
Aye.

What remarks were hurtful and therefore needed condemning based on the hurt?

Tell me "It's all about the benjamins baby" isn't what the House considers worth formally condemning.

To read the OUTRAGE, there's a whole lot more going on than throwing shade at a lobbying group and the politicians they back.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

This has to be in record time:
Freshman Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota publicly apologized Monday after she faced backlash for tweets condemned by both sides of the aisle as anti-Semitic.

"Anti-Semitism is real and I am grateful for Jewish allies and colleagues who are educating me on the painful history of anti-Semitic tropes," Omar said. "My intention is never to offend my constituents or Jewish Americans as a whole. We have to always be willing to step back and think through criticism, just as I expect people to hear me when others attack me for my identity. This is why I unequivocally apologize."

She continued, "At the same time, I reaffirm the problematic role of lobbyists in our politics, whether it be AIPAC, the NRA or the fossil fuel industry. It's gone on too long and we must be willing to address it."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:22 pm To read the OUTRAGE, there's a whole lot more going on than throwing shade at a lobbying group and the politicians they back.
My read is that it's not much deeper than making a reference to money in connection with Jewish interests. Whether or not that was Omar's intent or not is beyond my current understanding.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:25 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:22 pm To read the OUTRAGE, there's a whole lot more going on than throwing shade at a lobbying group and the politicians they back.
My read is that it's not much deeper than making a reference to money in connection with Jewish interests. Whether or not that was Omar's intent or not is beyond my current understanding.
I don't have a read, as I don't have examples. I went looking and I found stuff like this

https://twitter.com/cspan/lists/members ... ss?lang=en

Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Isgrimnur wrote:
There's two parts from what I can tell.
First, pro Israeli lobbying is a real bipartisan thing. So the same Republicans who dog whistle daily and promote child internment camps can, without pushback, go on TV and join democrats in suggesting that anti-Isreali policy/ lobbying speech is anti semitic. Which is dangerous politically for dems.

Second, growing anti-semitism is a thing in some self eating wings of progressive circles. Look up women's March and Farrakahn for more detail.

So not without reason, this hammer by leadership is stamping out a troublesome offshoot of their base and trying to stave off a group of potential Republicans in pro Isreal democrats.

Omar may or may not actually be anti semitic, and may or may not be accurate in her appraisal of intense pro isreal policy in Washington. but she definitely should have known better than tweet it out loud.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I gave it all the time I could. I found a ton of OMAR WANT SHARIA LAW! propaganda spam and one link claiming to show her ties to known antisemitic something or other at a site called minnesotasun, which my browser promptly told me, "Nope. I will not, in good conscience, let you visit this site". Again my googlefu is too weak.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The anti-Semitic canards she's displayed include that "teh jooz control the world" and "manipulate people with money".

For the record
1) AIPAC does not fund candidates
2) The claim that politicians only support Israel because of money is pretty insulting, given that polls have shown that 60-70% of Americans support Israel.

Thankfully the Democratic leadership responded fairly quickly, and Omar has apologized. Given that this isn't the first time, though, I'm going to remain somewhat skeptical.

As to this hatred of lobbying in general, it's easy to hate lobbyists you don't agree with. I wonder how many Democrats hate the lobbyist groups that lobby on behalf of teachers or the environment or [put your Democratic cause here]?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:24 pm This has to be in record time:
Freshman Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota publicly apologized Monday after she faced backlash for tweets condemned by both sides of the aisle as anti-Semitic.

"Anti-Semitism is real and I am grateful for Jewish allies and colleagues who are educating me on the painful history of anti-Semitic tropes," Omar said. "My intention is never to offend my constituents or Jewish Americans as a whole. We have to always be willing to step back and think through criticism, just as I expect people to hear me when others attack me for my identity. This is why I unequivocally apologize."

She continued, "At the same time, I reaffirm the problematic role of lobbyists in our politics, whether it be AIPAC, the NRA or the fossil fuel industry. It's gone on too long and we must be willing to address it."
That's not unequivocal or an apology.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Defiant wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:09 pm

As to this hatred of lobbying in general, it's easy to hate lobbyists you don't agree with. I wonder how many Democrats hate the lobbyist groups that lobby on behalf of teachers or the environment or [put your Democratic cause here]?
This is true. And it struck me that Omar's list only included a select few lobby groups. No Bloomberg, no Sierra Club, etc.

However the main point of lobbying remains leveling the playing field for those causes that are only viable due to large gobs of money.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:16 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:24 pm This has to be in record time:

That's not unequivocal or an apology.
IMHO, I'm willing to go with the song reference more than anti-semitism, especially as Netanyahu has politicized criticism of his Government here in the US.
Elected officials should also refrain from labeling all criticism of Israeli actions or policies as “anti-Semitic,” in a transparent effort to silence legitimate discussion and debate. Such attacks only undermine the vital effort to counter the actual scourge of anti-Semitism in the United States and around the world.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Elected officials should also refrain from labeling all criticism of Israeli actions or policies as “anti-Semitic,” in a transparent effort to silence legitimate discussion and debate. Such attacks only undermine the vital effort to counter the actual scourge of anti-Semitism in the United States and around the world.
That's where I sit. I won't defend Omar if there is really a history of antisemitism but I see the daggers directed at her held by pretty weak bearers.

She doesn't have to be full on Alt Right to be teh jooz control the world" and "manipulate people with money" but I'm not seeing it from that a couple tweets. Also is "anti-Semitic canards" a thing. I've never heard it before but it is the twittersphere response beginning with Rubio in January as far as I can tell in response to her position on "the BDS movement". Something I also did not know as a thing until today.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:09 pm The anti-Semitic canards she's displayed include that "teh jooz control the world" and "manipulate people with money".
What else has she said?

This tweet, though it's skirting the line of "Jewish money controlling U.S. policy", doesn't seem nearby as bad as Tlaib's tweet that Congressmen supporting the anti-BDS bill "are forgetting which country they represent." At least AIPAC is a real lobby that actually attempts to influence U.S. policy (albeit without funding candidates), but I don't see a particularly compelling defense for Tlaib's tweet.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:33 pm
Defiant wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:09 pm The anti-Semitic canards she's displayed include that "teh jooz control the world" and "manipulate people with money".
What else has she said?
It's not recent, but a few years back, she made the infamous "Israel is hypnotizing the world" tweet.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've not delved deep into the Omar story, but any discussion involving AIPAC must acknowledge that it isn't simply a pro-Israel lobby but a specifically pro-Netanyahu and pro-Likud lobby.

Analogously, think of them less as "the state of Israel" and more as "the NRA."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.