Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Gavin

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Gavin »

AWS260 wrote:If anyone's in the mood to continue the "bullying" discussion started in the Boy Scouts thread, feel free to go here:

http://www.popehat.com/2013/02/13/bully ... -nor-less/
This seems more regarding the misuse of the term "bullying" to include ""criticizing" or "making fun of" or sometimes "disagreeing with" or "condemning" or "uttering unacceptable opinions about" or "challenging and examining."". The discussion in the Boy Scouts thread was about the inclusion of the concept that bullying can be done for good reasons (is as moral neutral as a sword) whereas the kind of bullying the well-written article is clearly a blanket negative kind of bullying. When the defintion of bullying is: "Use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants." the topic can be very broad.

But the author of the article is right. Criticism isn't bullying. The only reason I considered the groups against the BSA to be bullying a bully is because of the extensiveness of their efforts to make the BSA do what they want (definitially bullying) rather than saying they're doing something wrong. I think they're doing good. But, it's clear now that even with the definition being what it is, the baggage attached to "bullying" prevents it from being used functionally in any way other than negatively. So, thesaurus of coerce aside, bullying can be used for little else than a stronger person muscling a weaker person around.

In any event, criticism and the other terms that the writer pointed out that people use certainly do not make sense or stand up to the bullying litmus test. Even definitionally, baggage aside, it isn't bullying. Not unless they're doing so to try and make the person they're ridiculing to change their ways. Then definitionally... maybe. Conventionally? No. Perhaps I was talking past people during that thread so we were unable to reach that understanding together.

So, great article!

tl;dr
BSA thread was about the use of the term bullying to be synonymous with positive force/coercion. (The associated baggage makes it a bad choice to use positively even if definitionally true).
The Popehat article appears to be against the use of the term bullying to equate to any little thing like disagreeing with someone or criticising and such.
Last edited by Gavin on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

And no, I'm not sure why I bother.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Gavin wrote:And no, I'm not sure why I bother.
Because you can't help yourself! :)

And props on the addition of the tl;dr section to your posts.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"sequestration"

It was on everyone's mind.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/29/news/ec ... index.html" target="_blank

And then our taxes "went up" and they still punted.

And this is after they already commit to spend less money years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Unite ... ral_budget" target="_blank

So where are we now?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html" target="_blank

And if we let them happen we're doomed!!!!

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/201 ... story.html" target="_blank

BTW, why can't we put federal taxes on flying like we do with gas to cover FAA and trim them entirely out of the budget?

And why does so much of the spending cuts have to come from the FAA? How did they decide that cutting the FAA was the best thing to cut?

Seriously, none of this makes any damned sense to me. Assuming this is another fall back and punt, how many times can we do this? What's the plan after the punt? What are the last 15 years saying to Americans about spending and budgets and credit and debt?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/seq ... d=18516614" target="_blank

Trying to understand this and failing.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LordMortis wrote:"sequestration"

Trying to understand this and failing.

Well you can get your info from the "lamestream" media or you can have it all broken down for you by...

Kate Upton and Ryan Gosling Explain the Sequester
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

SecState Kerry: "you have a right to be stupid if you want to be."
"People have sometimes wondered about why our Supreme Court allows one group or another to march in a parade even though it's the most provocative thing in the world and they carry signs that are an insult to one group or another," he added.

"The reason is, that's freedom, freedom of speech. In America you have a right to be stupid - if you want to be," he said, prompting laughter. "And you have a right to be disconnected to somebody else if you want to be.

"And we tolerate it. We somehow make it through that. Now, I think that's a virtue. I think that's something worth fighting for," he added. "The important thing is to have the tolerance to say, you know, you can have a different point of view."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Enough

Post by Enough »

So Jesse Jackson Jr's seat will obviously be a great pickup opportunity for the Rs. So what do they do? Nominate Paul McKinley,
...who has been convicted of 6 felony counts and served nearly 20 years behind bars for armed robberies, aggravated battery, and burglaries–refers to himself as an "ex-offender" who wants to get other ex-offenders to work.

McKinley was also arrested 11 times from 2003 to 2007, mostly for protesting. Records show he also owes $14,147 in federal taxes…

…As one who's helped lead public and private conversations about rebuilding the GOP in Illinois, Chris Robling said he knows this much: former burglar and armed robber Paul McKinley is not the sort of new leader the party needs. In a series of campaign videos, McKinley said he cared little for Democrats or Republicans.

"I have fought against this system from the outside," McKinley said. "Now, I believe I can do even more damage to this corrupt system inside of government.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

"Vote for me to increase dysfunction!" is an honest angle, at least.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hostile take over of Detroit immanent

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/det ... r-possible" target="_blank

Of course if Bing would have just stepped out of his office for a few hours, Snyder could have sent someone in to squat

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/21088 ... e-not-home" target="_blank

I love what is passing for jounalism writing
One night this week the lady of a house in Detroit come home to one helluva surprise.
I'm thinking I should apply for a job as writer there.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Enough wrote:So Jesse Jackson Jr's seat will obviously be a great pickup opportunity for the Rs. So what do they do? Nominate Paul McKinley,
...who has been convicted of 6 felony counts and served nearly 20 years behind bars for armed robberies, aggravated battery, and burglaries–refers to himself as an "ex-offender" who wants to get other ex-offenders to work.

McKinley was also arrested 11 times from 2003 to 2007, mostly for protesting. Records show he also owes $14,147 in federal taxes…

…As one who's helped lead public and private conversations about rebuilding the GOP in Illinois, Chris Robling said he knows this much: former burglar and armed robber Paul McKinley is not the sort of new leader the party needs. In a series of campaign videos, McKinley said he cared little for Democrats or Republicans.

"I have fought against this system from the outside," McKinley said. "Now, I believe I can do even more damage to this corrupt system inside of government.
The Republicans have approximately 0.0000000001% chance of picking up Jackson's old seat, even with a great candidate.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Isgrimnur wrote:SecState Kerry: "you have a right to be stupid if you want to be."
"People have sometimes wondered about why our Supreme Court allows one group or another to march in a parade even though it's the most provocative thing in the world and they carry signs that are an insult to one group or another," he added.

"The reason is, that's freedom, freedom of speech. In America you have a right to be stupid - if you want to be," he said, prompting laughter. "And you have a right to be disconnected to somebody else if you want to be.

"And we tolerate it. We somehow make it through that. Now, I think that's a virtue. I think that's something worth fighting for," he added. "The important thing is to have the tolerance to say, you know, you can have a different point of view."
"Secretary of State Kerry" still sounds bizarre to me but I love this quote. :wub:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Bipartisanship at work in New York!
Democratic state Sen. Malcolm Smith and GOP City Councilman Dan Halloran were caught on damning FBI wiretaps bribing GOP bosses in order to “grease the wheels” for Smith’s mayoral run on the Republican ticket, authorities revealed yesterday.

Smith, Halloran and four others were arrested in predawn raids on a slew of federal conspiracy and bribery charges that could send them to prison for up to 45 years.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

So what does it mean when Obama has higher pole numbers in Louisiana than Jindal? This may explain the extended winter.
In the latest Southern Media and Opinion Research (SMOR) poll, the Governor registers an anemic approval rating of only 38 percent. These numbers show a dramatic drop from his support level in the March 2012 SMOR poll. Last year, Jindal enjoyed a strong 61 percent approval rating, but, today, his disapproval rating of 60 percent is at approximately that same level.

The SMOR poll indicated that the Governor is more unpopular than President Barack Obama, who registers a 43 percent approval rating. Obama lost Louisiana by huge margins in both the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections, but, today, he would arguably defeat Jindal if paired against the Governor in an election.
In all seriousness Jindal deservs this. He has been running for president for the past year or so and been pushing bad tax reforms recently. The article touches on the tax reforms but doesn't go into much detail on them since no one knows and it seems to be in constant flux. The author of the bill, he is really just signing as author for Jindal who can't actually introduce a bill in the state house, can't even explain it because he doesn't know and what he does know is getting changed.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

North Carolina Republicans file a bill that seeks to establish a state religion
SECTION 1. The North Carolina General Assembly asserts that the Constitution of the United States of America does not prohibit states or their subsidiaries from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

SECTION 2. The North Carolina General Assembly does not recognize federal court rulings which prohibit and otherwise regulate the State of North Carolina, its public schools or any political subdivisions of the State from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.
:roll: :lol:
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

Exodor wrote:North Carolina Republicans file a bill that seeks to establish a state religion
SECTION 1. The North Carolina General Assembly asserts that the Constitution of the United States of America does not prohibit states or their subsidiaries from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

SECTION 2. The North Carolina General Assembly does not recognize federal court rulings which prohibit and otherwise regulate the State of North Carolina, its public schools or any political subdivisions of the State from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.
:roll: :lol:
Wrong thread. This belongs here... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=84680 :D

Oh, and :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Arcanis wrote:So what does it mean when Obama has higher pole numbers in Louisiana than Jindal? This may explain the extended winter.
In the latest Southern Media and Opinion Research (SMOR) poll, the Governor registers an anemic approval rating of only 38 percent. These numbers show a dramatic drop from his support level in the March 2012 SMOR poll. Last year, Jindal enjoyed a strong 61 percent approval rating, but, today, his disapproval rating of 60 percent is at approximately that same level.

The SMOR poll indicated that the Governor is more unpopular than President Barack Obama, who registers a 43 percent approval rating. Obama lost Louisiana by huge margins in both the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections, but, today, he would arguably defeat Jindal if paired against the Governor in an election.
In all seriousness Jindal deservs this. He has been running for president for the past year or so and been pushing bad tax reforms recently. The article touches on the tax reforms but doesn't go into much detail on them since no one knows and it seems to be in constant flux. The author of the bill, he is really just signing as author for Jindal who can't actually introduce a bill in the state house, can't even explain it because he doesn't know and what he does know is getting changed.
If he gets rid of that dreadful parish-based sales tax system he's got my vote (if it still exists). Back when I was actually using my accounting degree I always held off doing Louisiana sales tax until the end because I knew it would put me in a pissy mood for the rest of the day. :x :mrgreen:
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Arcanis wrote:So what does it mean when Obama has higher pole numbers in Louisiana than Jindal?
I guess it means that they're finally stooping to measuring candidates' poles to predict winners. :wink:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NC Senate Republican Bill Cook: If your kid registers to vote at college, you should lose your state tax break:
Senate Bill 667, known as "Equalize Voter Rights," would remove the tax exemption for dependents who register to vote at any address other than their parents' home.

"If the voter is a dependent of the voter's parent or legal guardian, is 18 years of age or older and the voter has registered at an address other than that of the parent or legal guardian, the parent or legal guardian will not be allowed to claim the voter as a dependent for state income tax purposes," the bill says.

The measure would affect only state income tax, so it wouldn't have much effect on out-of-state students. But it could effectively cut student voting in counties like Watauga and Orange, where college voters have been a key part of the Democratic Party's dominance.

The bill would also require voters to have their vehicles registered at the same address as their voter registration. That also could cut down on college student registration, since many students maintain their vehicle registration in their home counties.
House Minority Leader Larry Hall said the bill "would raise taxes on middle-class families who are trying to put their children through college.”

“I refuse to believe the Republican leadership has become so desperate to limit voting for partisan gain that they would be willing to support tax increases to achieve that goal," said Hall, D-Durham. "It is the definition of arrogance to penalize parents with new taxes just because their children want to exercise their right to vote in the community they live in.”
In an emailed statement this afternoon, Cook defended S666 and S667, saying their reforms "will be appreciated by citizens in this state who view voting as a sacred civic duty."
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Biyobi wrote:
Arcanis wrote:So what does it mean when Obama has higher pole numbers in Louisiana than Jindal? This may explain the extended winter.

If he gets rid of that dreadful parish-based sales tax system he's got my vote (if it still exists). Back when I was actually using my accounting degree I always held off doing Louisiana sales tax until the end because I knew it would put me in a pissy mood for the rest of the day. :x :mrgreen:
Nope each parish has its own sales tax, plus the current state sales tax, and any municipal sales taxes too for good measure. This plan essentially is trying to be a trade of state income tax for a higher sales tax to offset it. The problem is all the brother-in-law deals going on to exempt certain groups and the adding of sales tax to services that have never been taxed before. The clearest example of this is a new sales tax on hair dressers but not on lawyers.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Arcanis wrote:So what does it mean when Obama has higher pole numbers in Louisiana than Jindal?
I guess it means that they're finally stooping to measuring candidates' poles to predict winners. :wink:
I think in politics that has been the measuring stick for years. It isn't like any polls being reported had basis in reality anyway. :wink:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Didn't really think it deserved it's own thread, nor it is explicitly political but Pat Robertson suggested today that "Dungeons and Dragons has literally destroyed people's lives". Yes, that was today, not 1981.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

What an absolute tool.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I wonder how the number of lives destroyed by D&D compares to lives destroyed by televangelism.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I am thinking he is right on the money. I mean hav eyou ever had a level 30 Cleric turned into dust by a fireball attack? Trust me it can destroy your life!

:D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I just heard an Aussie politician use the tax they used to fund their gun buyback, and specifically invoked Colorado and Newtown, in justification for advocacy of a tax increase to fund the national disability insurance scheme.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My movers indicated that payment by credit card on the day of the move would be fine. As long as it wasn't a Bank of America (Snopes link) card.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yup. As the link says, it's unconfirmed. Given that it's Texas, even if it were debunked, I'd not raise the issue, as I don't really want to upset large, strong men that are in charge of keeping my furniture safe about political decisions that have no bearing on my business with them.

On the plus side, they are BBB certified.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sorry, I withdrew my "seriously?" comment after I realized it might spark a discussion with some that I was too tired to begin. :wink:
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:P
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...you weren't the one I worried about. :lol:
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No, but when you make me look like I'm talking to myself...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I tried to mentally contact you while you were typing away, but all I got was hold music in the form of the theme from White Shadow.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was in a conference call. :)
Enough

Post by Enough »

I mentioned how dumb-founded I was by a news story to two coworkers the other day wherein a Republican nominee In Virginia praised the 3/5s compromise as an 'anti-slavery amendment.’ They both agreed with the nominee (both are straight ticket D's), saying hey it's like civil unions-- a step in the right direction. I told them I could see their logic but it was actually strongly pushed for by slave owners to increase their representation in Congress. They pretty much didn't believe me. I continually relearn it's not a good idea to talk politics with coworkers unless you have properly vetted them as RP-friendly.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enough wrote:I mentioned how dumb-founded I was by a news story to two coworkers the other day wherein a Republican nominee In Virginia praised the 3/5s compromise as an 'anti-slavery amendment.’ They both agreed with the nominee (both are straight ticket D's), saying hey it's like civil unions-- a step in the right direction. I told them I could see their logic but it was actually strongly pushed for by slave owners to increase their representation in Congress. They pretty much didn't believe me. I continually relearn it's not a good idea to talk politics with coworkers unless you have properly vetted them as RP-friendly.
The slave owners wanted 1/1, they got 3/5ths. So 3/5s was anti-slavery in that it gave the slave owners 2/5s less compared to the 1/1 they wanted. It was pro-slavery in that they got the 3/5s all.

For fun, tell them that 5/3rd Bank was originally created as a holding company for reparations for the 3/5ths compromise. And then quietly slink away.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Oh, also, the reason I popped in this thread:
DENVER — Two trusted sources who told FOX31 Denver that an Italian gun company executive was questioned by local law enforcement after a Denver cab driver thought he might be a terrorist now say they were misled.

David Kopel, a nationally-recognized Second Amendment attorney with the Independence Institute in Denver, first told FOX31 Denver about the alleged incident Saturday. He referred us to Korrine Aguirre, who, it now appears, concocted an elaborate but false story.

Aguirre told FOX31 Denver, and another media organization, Examiner.com, that an executive with the Perazzi gun manufacturing company was on his way to the Colorado Gun Collectors Association show, to display a half-million dollars worth of prototype guns.

Schreiner said Aguirre let him listen in on a phone call involving Aguirre and a person she claimed was a Perazzi lawyer. In the conversation, it appeared to Schreiner that Aguirre was speaking with the executive’s attorney as he was being questioned by police.

Throughout Saturday afternoon and evening, Aguirre, who claimed to be a lawyer herself, told FOX31 Denver she was in contact with the gun executive. She claimed he was too upset and shaken to do an on-camera interview.

Kopel and Schreiner say they now believe Aguirre was lying from the beginning and duped them.

There is no indication what Aguirre’s motive might be.
The story was originally passed around as a "they're coming for our guns" story.

MYT
Enough

Post by Enough »

Yeah, that story was huge here in CO. But I have to laugh at seeing David Kopel listed as a trusted source.

silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Aguirre, the wrath of guns
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

silverjon wrote:Aguirre, the wrath of guns
Brava.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Enough wrote:I mentioned how dumb-founded I was by a news story to two coworkers the other day wherein a Republican nominee In Virginia praised the 3/5s compromise as an 'anti-slavery amendment.’ They both agreed with the nominee (both are straight ticket D's), saying hey it's like civil unions-- a step in the right direction. I told them I could see their logic but it was actually strongly pushed for by slave owners to increase their representation in Congress. They pretty much didn't believe me. I continually relearn it's not a good idea to talk politics with coworkers unless you have properly vetted them as RP-friendly.
Yeah, I've run into this. The assumption behind the error is that slaves were somehow themselves getting 3/5 of a vote.

The flipside of this error is the common assertion that the "vast majority of Southerners supported secession." It's true that a clear majority of voting Southerners did, but as the population of the Southern states ranged from one-quarter to almost one-half slave (with actual slave majorities in Mississippi and South Carolina), it's likely that barely half of all Southerners supported it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.