Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Political Randomness

Post by GreenGoo »

ImLawBoy wrote:First of all, I've never said I was offended by it.

Second, poorly done satire can still be offensive, and can be called out as such. (Again, I haven't read it - I don't know if it's poorly done or not.)
When being offensive is the delivery system of the message, being offended (not you, specifically) kind of misses the point.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote:Not really, they do it to make money.
Thanks for the insight (incite).
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

GreenGoo wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:First of all, I've never said I was offended by it.

Second, poorly done satire can still be offensive, and can be called out as such. (Again, I haven't read it - I don't know if it's poorly done or not.)
When being offensive is the delivery system of the message, being offended (not you, specifically) kind of misses the point.
I get that, but think about the difference between this cover now and this cover in a month. Right now, it's offensive for two reasons. The first is the one you're discussing - its intended message (I'm assuming, having not read the article). The second is because of the proximity in time to a tragedy that is costing dozens of lives (and rising), not to mention billions of dollars in damage. That second part is fair game for criticism, and it's at least somewhat justified.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Rip

Post by Rip »

I would bet if another satirical mag had done the same thing with a cartoon suggesting Hebdo deserved what they got we would have no problem finding people outraged by it....
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

We're in agreement here. Now is the most powerful time for this message, when emotions are raw.

When random douchebag says target group got what was coming because God and reasons, they don't wait until a month later when their message has a lesser impact.

Now is the time when the message is most likely to reach the maximum number of eyeballs and emotional impact. Whether it has the effect they want is a gamble.

You suggest people might be less offended in a month. I might suggest that's because less people will care what a tiny magazine in a surrender monkey land has to say.

Typing all this on my phone is a pain. Future responses will probably have to wait until I have a keyboard in front of me.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote:I would bet if another satirical mag had done the same thing with a cartoon suggesting Hebdo deserved what they got we would have no problem finding people outraged by it....
You're missing the point. It's intended to be offensive. But the offense is the delivery system, not the message.

My point is that understanding the message takes the edge off the offense ( which was never the point in the first place).

How about this. Get as offended as you want, but at least consider why they intentionally offended you.

It's not because hebedo thinks the idea of drowning the state of Texas or the idea that Texas is full of Nazis is funny. Ok maybe the second one. A little.

Edit:. Also, what would the satire be? Magazine staff get shot because their satire isn't good? Haha? Most of the time it isn't good, so...

As max asked earlier, do you even understand what satire is?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

For the record I misspelled hebdo once and then my phone ran with it. I can't believe people didn't pile on with the mockery. Well done! :P
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

GreenGoo wrote:For the record I misspelled hebdo and then my phone ran with it. I can't believe people didn't pile on with the mockery. Well done! :P
I actually went back to see if I remembered the spelling wrong. When I saw I was right, I just decided to smirk smugly to myself instead of calling you out on it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Well done indeed.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:For the record I misspelled hebdo and then my phone ran with it. I can't believe people didn't pile on with the mockery. Well done! :P
I actually went back to see if I remembered the spelling wrong. When I saw I was right, I just decided to smirk smugly to myself instead of calling you out on it.
You need to figure out a way to create a setting to switch one's portrait picture to having a smug smirk on it (without otherwise changing the picture). #ChangeWeBelieveIn
Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Enlarge Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, so you don't understand satire.

Or let's say I don't. What is satirical about hebdo in that cartoon? Please enlighten me.

Please note that i have made no judgement on the value of the cartoon itself, other than assuming you posted it to show me what satire of hebdo killings might look like.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote:Ok, so you don't understand satire.

Or let's say I don't. What is satirical about hebdo in that cartoon? Please enlighten me.

Please note that i have made no judgement on the value of the cartoon itself, other than assuming you posted it to show me what satire of hebdo killings might look like.
Not ignoring, just busy. Will try to address better later....
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Ok, so you don't understand satire.

Not ignoring, just busy. Will try to address better later....
No problem. After my flurry of posts, I've got other things on my plate now too.

Not just for you but everyone should know that I'm not defending the magazine itself, which I had never heard of until a bunch of them got shot, and when I did go looking, was not impressed by what I saw. They are a kind of shitty little mag that occasionally hits a one in a million homerun. There is a recent hebdo cartoon that seems to have little depth to it beyond "this is what you get for your multiculturalism" showing Theresa May with her head cut off while discussing the London Bridge terror attack. I mean, there might be a clever message in there, but as far as I can tell it was written by Drumpf, who's not known for his deep thinking. It's literally "preaching tolerance literally results in not just death, but your death". Feel free to educate me if you think I'm wrong. That's a shitty cartoon, period. Unless you're anti-multiculturalism I guess. :? (amazingly, your cartoon condemns hebdo for being offensive possibly in racist ways, and then ends with kill them all non-ironically)

The magazine has it's moments, but it also falls down. Clearly many think this is a fall down moment. As I've said, I don't think it is.

The short version is I don't think much of the mag and never did. I do think their willingness to soldier on in the face of suppression the likes of which most of us will never see is amazing. Please take note Joe Walsh, you sewage in human form.

Keep in mind that a budweiser commercial during the superbowl has a farther reach and more social impact than this hitherto previously unknown magazine. I say this not because I think their message is wrong, but because if you don't like their message, it's easy to ignore them.

If hebdo does what is does for the clicks, then the people who brought THIS particular cartoon to your attention also did it for the clicks. I personally wish the people who brought it to your attention did it to help illustrate the point rather than to harvest your outrage for their personal gain, but whatever.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Not outraged, just think they are ignorant douchebags trolling for clicks. Of course my opinion of them is nothing new and I still wouldn't support anyone trying to wage violence against them.

It isn't even worth a peaceful protest.

I do enjoy mocking them however.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote:I do enjoy mocking them however.
I'm sure they're glad for it and I'm sure the feeling is mutual. It is their business model after all.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

FBI, Homeland Security warn of more ‘antifa’ attacks
Federal authorities have been warning state and local officials since early 2016 that leftist extremists known as “antifa” had become increasingly confrontational and dangerous, so much so that the Department of Homeland Security formally classified their activities as “domestic terrorist violence,” according to interviews and confidential law enforcement documents obtained by POLITICO.

Since well before the Aug. 12 rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, turned deadly, DHS has been issuing warnings about the growing likelihood of lethal violence between the left-wing anarchists and right-wing white supremacist and nationalist groups.

Previously unreported documents disclose that by April 2016, authorities believed that “anarchist extremists” were the primary instigators of violence at public rallies against a range of targets. They were blamed by authorities for attacks on the police, government and political institutions, along with symbols of “the capitalist system,” racism, social injustice and fascism, according to a confidential 2016 joint intelligence assessment by DHS and the FBI.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

I made the mistake of looking at Dinesh D'Souza's Twitter page.

He's currently hawking a book arguing that the Nazis were not only the leftists of their day but are the direct progenitors of modern liberalism and progressivism. The book had the unfortunate timing of being published just a few days before Charlottesville.

D'Souza is apparently dedicated to the argument that George Soros was complicit in the crimes of the Nazis. (Soros, a Hungarian Jew, had barely turned 14 when the Red Army crossed the border and began running the Germans out of Hungary.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

‘This is crazy,’ sobs Utah hospital nurse as cop roughs her up, arrests her for doing her job
By all accounts, the head nurse at the University of Utah Hospital’s burn unit was professional and restrained when she told a Salt Lake City police detective he wasn’t allowed to draw blood from a badly injured patient.

The detective didn’t have a warrant, first off. And the patient wasn’t conscious, so he couldn’t give consent. Without that, the detective was barred from collecting blood samples — not just by hospital policy, but by basic constitutional law.

Still, Detective Jeff Payne insisted that he be let in to take the blood, saying the nurse would be arrested and charged if she refused.

Nurse Alex Wubbels politely stood her ground. She got her supervisor on the phone so Payne could hear the decision loud and clear. “Sir,” said the supervisor, “you’re making a huge mistake because you’re threatening a nurse.”

Payne snapped. He seized hold of the nurse, shoved her out of the building and cuffed her hands behind her back. A bewildered Wubbels screamed “help me” and “you’re assaulting me” as the detective forced her into an unmarked car and accused her of interfering with an investigation.
Video of the incident (Things escalate about 6-7 minutes in)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Not a fan of the cops behaving badly thread?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote:Once again, I never said I was offended.

I assume there is an article that goes along with the cover that might shed more light into whether this is well done satire or not, and whether it's worth getting upset about.
Sometimes their covers are just covers with no directly related article.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Moliere wrote:Not a fan of the cops behaving badly thread?
I didn't see one on the first page, and doing a search reveals it was last updated in 2011. *Shrug*

Edit: Oh, there's a thread in EBG.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

FEMA tells U.S. states to improve their own disaster relief efforts
State and local governments need to become more self-sufficient in handling major disasters like Hurricane Harvey, FEMA Administrator Brook Long said in a televised interview on Sunday.

Speaking on CBS’ Face the Nation, Long said the federal support is intended to be a “ray of hope, a bridge to kick-start recovery,” and state and local governments need to do more on their own. They should not expect the federal government to make their citizens whole after major disasters, he said.

“We need elected officials at all levels to sit down and hit the reset button and make sure they have everything they need to increase levels of self-sufficiency,” Long said.

He called the massive devastation “a wakeup call for local and state officials,” saying they needed to fully fund their own emergency management offices and have rainy day funds set aside for such emergencies. “They can’t depend only on federal emergency management,” he said following pointed calls by Houston officials for FEMA to quickly increase staffing in the city and provide relief funds.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

States rights!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

From FEMA.gov:
Congress' intention was to encourage states and localities to develop comprehensive disaster preparedness plans, prepare for better intergovernmental coordination in the face of a disaster, encourage the use of insurance coverage, and provide federal assistance programs for losses due to a disaster.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wish I could remember the exact year the meeting was, but I attended one at some point with county and state planners back in the early 2000s in NJ, likely after some type of large-scale weather event. This was the exact sentiment expressed and it was reiterated during Hurricane Katrina. The Feds aren't going to save you - they're going to assist (likely 3+ days later) the locals (literal locals, county, state) in response. It's also why since the early 2000s the message has been for people to start taking personal responsibility and to prepare themselves for sheltering in place- whatever that means.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In Rockport, the local advice for sheltering-in-place was for people to write their name and SSN on their arm with a Sharpie.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant wrote:‘This is crazy,’ sobs Utah hospital nurse as cop roughs her up, arrests her for doing her job
By all accounts, the head nurse at the University of Utah Hospital’s burn unit was professional and restrained when she told a Salt Lake City police detective he wasn’t allowed to draw blood from a badly injured patient.

The detective didn’t have a warrant, first off. And the patient wasn’t conscious, so he couldn’t give consent. Without that, the detective was barred from collecting blood samples — not just by hospital policy, but by basic constitutional law.

Still, Detective Jeff Payne insisted that he be let in to take the blood, saying the nurse would be arrested and charged if she refused.

Nurse Alex Wubbels politely stood her ground. She got her supervisor on the phone so Payne could hear the decision loud and clear. “Sir,” said the supervisor, “you’re making a huge mistake because you’re threatening a nurse.”

Payne snapped. He seized hold of the nurse, shoved her out of the building and cuffed her hands behind her back. A bewildered Wubbels screamed “help me” and “you’re assaulting me” as the detective forced her into an unmarked car and accused her of interfering with an investigation.
Video of the incident (Things escalate about 6-7 minutes in)

Officer Who Arrested Utah Nurse In Viral Video Is Now Under Criminal Investigation
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watched that video last week and it's truly infuriating. That officer really does deserve to be brought up on charges.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Crime in 2017: A Preliminary Analysis
For this analysis, researchers at the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law collected crime data directly from local police departments in America’s 30 largest cities, and then used historical trends to estimate 2017 year-end crime numbers. Several key findings include:

- The overall crime rate in 2017 is projected to decrease slightly, by 1.8 percent. If this estimate holds, 2017 will have the second-lowest crime rate since 1990.

- The violent crime rate is projected to decrease slightly, by 0.6 percent, essentially remaining stable. This result is driven primarily by stabilization in Chicago, and declines in Washington, D.C., two large cities that experienced increases in violence in recent years. The violent crime rate for this year is projected to be about 1 percent above 2014’s violent crime rate, the lowest recorded since 1990.

- The 2017 murder rate is projected to be 2.5 percent lower than last year. This year’s decline is driven primarily by decreases in Detroit (down 25.6 percent), Houston (down 20.5 percent), and New York (down 19.1 percent). Chicago’s murder rate is also projected to fall, by 2.4 percent. The 2017 murder rate is expected to be on par with that of 2009, well at the bottom of the historic post-1990 decline, yet still higher than the lowest recorded rate in 2013.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I'm not going to lie. Every time I read "sincerely held religious beliefs" in a news story, I substitute "excuses for being a bigot".
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Stupid private property getting in the way of government central planners.
In 2013, you ran on reducing income inequality. Where has it been hardest to make progress? Wages, housing, schools?

(Bill de Blasio): What’s been hardest is the way our legal system is structured to favor private property. I think people all over this city, of every background, would like to have the city government be able to determine which building goes where, how high it will be, who gets to live in it, what the rent will be. I think there’s a socialistic impulse, which I hear every day, in every kind of community, that they would like things to be planned in accordance to their needs. And I would, too. Unfortunately, what stands in the way of that is hundreds of years of history that have elevated property rights and wealth to the point that that’s the reality that calls the tune on a lot of development.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Poor little communist.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Max Peck wrote:In Rockport, the local advice for sheltering-in-place was for people to write their name and SSN on their arm with a Sharpie.
That's because in Rockport it was a bad idea. For 95% of Houston, it's a good idea. There are too many people living close to the coast to evacuate without causing far more problems than sheltering in place.

As long as you don't have special needs, it isn't going to flood your home, and your expected winds are less than 100 mph (add/subtract some percentage based on age of house, state of repair, etc), sheltering in place is the safest. It won't be comfortable, but it is safest.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That requires a special license here in Michigan too.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dleg ... 3265_7.pdf
-
-
(2)
An on premises licensee shall not allow dancing by customers on the licensed premises unless the licensee has applied for and been granted a dance permit by the commission. Issuance of a dance permit under this subsection does not allow topless activity on the licensed premises
Rip

Post by Rip »

Go ahead and add frat parties to things the SJWs manage to take the fun out of.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/11/stude ... inorities/

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Some kids got bent out of shape over a party theme. Boo boo. People are so mean.

You alt right folks are such delicate snowflakes. Whining about everything these days. Sack up.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ted Cruz accidentally "liked" a porn he was watching, and the internet caught it.

(And now you will never unimagine this. Say hello forever to Ted Cruz jacking it.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.