Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Paingod »

I'm pretty sure the limit of what my parents knew stopped when I left their sight. I lived a whole life outside my home that my parents were oblivious to. I played a lot in woods, fields, trees, and streams without another soul in sight for most of my childhood. I kept coming home alive and that seemed enough for them.

My cousin may have figured out that I found his Playboys, but I don't think he cared. My neighbors called the cops on me the one time they found me and a friend climbing trees in their yard - but not the other half dozen times before then. I don't think anyone was keeping tabs on the kids getting high behind the school gym during recess.

Adults are privy to a percentage of what goes on in their kids' lives. That percentage diminishes with age, as it should. At a certain point that child needs to be free to leave and be comfortable with doing so.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There's a difference between being supervised and getting caught.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:52 am I'm pretty sure the limit of what my parents knew stopped when I left their sight. I lived a whole life outside my home that my parents were oblivious to. I played a lot in woods, fields, trees, and streams without another soul in sight for most of my childhood. I kept coming home alive and that seemed enough for them.

My cousin may have figured out that I found his Playboys, but I don't think he cared. My neighbors called the cops on me the one time they found me and a friend climbing trees in their yard - but not the other half dozen times before then. I don't think anyone was keeping tabs on the kids getting high behind the school gym during recess.

Adults are privy to a percentage of what goes on in their kids' lives. That percentage diminishes with age, as it should. At a certain point that child needs to be free to leave and be comfortable with doing so.
I think the point is that they probably knew you were playing around outside as opposed to, say, running with a gang or working at a restaurant for tips. There are usually signs, and (good) parents are usually more attuned to them than kids think.

Every kid thinks his parents don't know he's trying pot or beer or cigarettes. They forget that they have breath and hair and that mom smells the laundry.

Internet mischief is probably easier to hide than the older mischiefs.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm relatively certain what my siblings did as kids escaped my parents. Mostly because when I told them about things I did years later they were genuinely shocked.

"Hey dad, we used to go to Chinatown in NYC to buy fireworks and blow up stuff in the driveway"

"Did you know I used to call out of school quite often on my own....I missed somewhere near a hundred days of high school over four years..."

This covered my friends as well - I remember us having a conversation about a particularly rowdy party *at their house* years after high school. They had no clue. My wife is about 10 years younger than me and had a very different experience as a kid. Also I suspect the new 'kids' out of college at work didn't have even close to my degree of freedom based on their comments.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 am You need car seats because cars are no longer designed to withstand a direct hit and crumple on impact.
I know you were on a roll and all, but .. no.
Moliere wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:31 pm 2009 Chevy Malibu vs 1959 Bel Air Crash Test
Spoiler: drive a newer car if you care about safety.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:21 am
Zarathud wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 am You need car seats because cars are no longer designed to withstand a direct hit and crumple on impact.
I know you were on a roll and all, but .. no.
Moliere wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:31 pm 2009 Chevy Malibu vs 1959 Bel Air Crash Test
Spoiler: drive a newer car if you care about safety.
As an owner of a 2009 Malibu, that's the most painless way to remove/change a headlight.
"Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."
-- Mark Twain .

XBL: Hiccup1
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Ok so maybe cars weren't as sturdy as we remember. :)

In fairness, newer cars are designed to protect the passengers and car seats ensure child passengers stay in the safe place. That air bag deploying can damage you if you aren't properly in the seat.

I don't claim parents know everything--but they often knew more than you think and knew their neighbors better.

How many neighbors do you know? Do you know more people in town than your parents did?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

50s car seats were a thing, as well.

You're using anecdotal evidence to paint with a broad brush, and you should know better.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That's not a safety seat but a child's car toy known as a Bunny Seat so the kid could see out the window -- and parents could better watch the kid. Car seat history.

We think about safety in a fundamentally different way now. That's not a bad thing.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

That metal bar was a key restraining device. Plus the child could cleanly go through the windshield instead of glancing off the console - something of an improvement...as said by a 50s tv doctor.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my nephew turns ten years old in a few weeks and his parents still have him in a car booster seat. that just seems weird to me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:45 pm my nephew turns ten years old in a few weeks and his parents still have him in a car booster seat. that just seems weird to me.
My 8 year old is still in a booster and my 11 year old is only recently out of his booster, but he is still borderline. It's about where the seat belt crosses their body. You *really* don't want the seat belt crossing the neck when you get in an accident.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:55 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:45 pm my nephew turns ten years old in a few weeks and his parents still have him in a car booster seat. that just seems weird to me.
My 8 year old is still in a booster and my 11 year old is only recently out of his booster, but he is still borderline. It's about where the seat belt crosses their body. You *really* don't want the seat belt crossing the neck when you get in an accident.
ahhh it has to do with back seat shoulder belts. (didn't have those growing up)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff Bezos just became the richest person to have ever lived. Trump has got to be gnashing his teeth. :twisted:
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:02 pm Jeff Bezos just became the richest person to have ever lived. Trump has got to be gnashing his teeth. :twisted:
Naw - after all he knows his true master is likely the richest person to have ever lived.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Seth Abramson's CV has an interesting data point on it.

Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, Abramson's a bit of a fraud. I only found out recently that he's not actually a professor of law, notwithstanding holding himself out as such.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

He posted an almost 200 tweet thread about the Fusion GPS transcript. It's absurd.
Hodor.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

My 10th grade teacher praised a poem I wrote. Maybe I should include that on my résumé.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:09 pm He posted an almost 200 tweet thread about the Fusion GPS transcript. It's absurd.
Yeah, I'm mostly done with him. I found his stuff interesting for a bit, but have become more and more annoyed with his long form Tweeting and tin-foil hat conspiracy theory leaps of logic.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:04 am I'm pretty sure no one knew I was in the boiler room of the local sportsplex. Or invading the corn fields of the experimental farm nearby. Or going through the playboy collection of a neighbourhood kid's dad.

Trust me Zarathud, our parents had no clue where we spent our days, and that was the norm for almost all kids of my generation.

It's not really up for debate.
For us it was the abandoned and falling apart Boys Club which i know, nobody knew we were going in because someone would have said something. We also ran around a local lot that had stacks of trailers that formed a maze.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 am You were kids back then, not adults. Do you really think that parents had zero idea of what you kids were doing? Or that someone didn't disapprove to your parents? Or your priests found out back in the days of confession?
Yes. I guarantee that my parents had no idea where I was. Mostly because once I left the house, I had no idea where I was going.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think this is where the discussion has been - Federal judges struck down the NC map for gerrymandering and gave them three weeks to submit a new one so it will be in place for the midterm elections.

The GOP has said it will appeal.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:20 pm I think this is where the discussion has been - Federal judges struck down the NC map for gerrymandering and gave them three weeks to submit a new one so it will be in place for the midterm elections.

Page 7 and 8. I don't have what it takes to read the 205 page decision.

http://www.campaignlegalcenter.org/site ... -%20NC.pdf
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:20 pm I think this is where the discussion has been - Federal judges struck down the NC map for gerrymandering and gave them three weeks to submit a new one so it will be in place for the midterm elections.

I suspect (not having yet read the decision) that it's all going to hinge on the SCOTUS opinion. If SCOTUS sides with Wisconsin and says partisan gerrymandering is not a thing (not plausibly unconstitutional), then I assume this decision will go by the wayside too.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

New York's state legislature continues to embarrass.
In one scheme, authorities accused Ms. Harris of trying to capitalize on a natural disaster, improperly receiving nearly $25,000 in federal funds by falsely claiming that she had been displaced from her Coney Island home by Hurricane Sandy in 2012. In another, she is accused of siphoning money from a nonprofit she ran to pay her mortgage, take vacations and shop at Victoria’s Secret, according to the indictment.
On the plus side, most of this happened before she was elected to office, so, uh... progress?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

You gotta love lawyers:
Ms. Harris pleaded not guilty to all 11 charges. Her lawyers, Joel Cohen and Jerry H. Goldfeder, called Ms. Harris an “invaluable community organizer and a well-regarded legislator.”

“We are disappointed that Ms. Harris was indicted,” the lawyers said, noting that none of the charges were related to her conduct as a lawmaker.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

She'd probably make a good candidate for the presidency.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Permit required to tear down a tree house that was built without a permit.
milo

Post by milo »

Two wrongs, etc...
--milo
Holman

Post by Holman »

link

??

Does Taco Bell have an ad or something?

Also, is Charlie Daniels insane?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Moliere wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:11 pm Permit required to tear down a tree house that was built without a permit.
If the actual permitting authority told them they didn't need a permit that really sucks. I wish the article was better on whether their assertion they were told they didn't need a permit was verified. Of course if it was verbal they would still be screwed. Ugh. Cue Mr. Fed, get it in writing.

And in heavily populated areas I am mostly okay with building codes and needing a permit. But I adore the hand built custom homes you find in rural areas around here. It was really sad after the High Park Fire when a lot of those homes in the canyons near Fort Collins burned down. With a now populated county we have stringent building codes and thus they couldn't rebuild many of them the same and they are now much more cookie-cutter blah.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:07 pm link

??

Does Taco Bell have an ad or something?

Also, is Charlie Daniels insane?
Yes.

And also probably yes.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Congresscritter Brendan Boyle introduces the Standardizing Testing and Accountability Before Large Elections Giving Electors Necessary Information for Unobstructed Selection Act.

If there's anything I like better than a good troll, it's a good acronym. :)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case you were wondering how the GOP was doing in Alabama, after the attempt to elect Roy Moore:
This week, three Moore supporters submitted a resolution to the Alabama Republican Party executive committee calling for Shelby to be censured. It argues that Shelby “publicly encouraged Republicans and all voters to write in a candidate instead of voting for the Republican Candidate Judge Roy Moore,” and that his “public speech was then used by the Democrat Candidate in robocalls to sway voters to not vote for Judge Roy Moore.”

The move came after a pro-Moore outside group, Courageous Conservatives PAC, ran robocalls last month describing Shelby as a turncoat and calling on him to resign..

“Sen. Richard Shelby stabbed President Trump and conservatives in the back,” said one of the calls, which urged listeners to call his office and complain. “Tell Shelby you’ll never forget his disloyalty to President Trump and the Republican Party for his treasonous actions. Tell Shelby he’s betrayed his trust to Alabamians and he should resign his office. Call now.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Rip

Post by Rip »

Well at least it is Trump with access to "The Football" and not whoever was responsible for pressing the missile attack button in Hawaii.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/13/politics/ ... index.html
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

They have a button for that? I would think that would add up to a lot of buttons.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"