Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Default »

Kraken wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:24 am Buddy Guy!

How's that for randomness?
Pretty awesome, cause I'm a BG fan!
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:23 pm Teachers and staff at Idaho middle school dress as a border wall (complete with MAGA slogan) for Halloween.

The kicker: They did so while giving out student awards for "respect".

Yes, people really are that stupid. :grund:
WaPo
An Idaho superintendent has issued a public apology and placed 14 employees on paid administrative leave after staff at a public elementary school dressed up as Mexicans and a border wall for Halloween.
“I want to say we are better than this,” Superintendent Josh Middleton said in a Facebook video Friday. “We embrace all students. We have a responsibility to teach and reach all students. Period. Do I think that there was a malicious intent in this poor decision? No, I don’t. Was there a poor judgment involved? Absolutely. And we now have to own those decisions.”

On Saturday morning, Middleton announced the employee actions during a special school board meeting, The Idaho Statesman reported. The board later said the investigation would continue.
After the teachers were suspended, a Change.org petition was created to argue that the controversy had been overblown and that the teachers involved shouldn’t lose their jobs. More than 12,000 people had signed as of Monday afternoon.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Anti-Sharia crusader Laura Loomer vs the Deep State:

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ha! I remember actually googling "clever names for wifi routers" one time, and that one was near the top.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is quite common - I see it in all the time while traveling. I even saw it in India this summer which I chuckled at.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:32 am It is quite common - I see it in all the time while traveling. I even saw it in India this summer which I chuckled at.
I see 2 at home minimum. I have half a mind to name mine "Russian Counterintelligence Van".

But sadly the takeaway for a lot of people will be that the crooked, rogue FBI was watching them.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Personally, I loved "Wu Tang LAN" that someone mentioned as being a neighbor's in the comments.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Is it wrong that I hear "chiplet" and immediately think of kids in Mexico selling chicklets to tourists? maybe in some weird future, like raspberry pi's for sale?
Papermaster is part of an industry-wide effort around a new doctrine of chip design that Intel, AMD, and the Pentagon all say can help keep computers improving at the pace Moore’s law has conditioned society to expect.

The new approach comes with a snappy name: chiplets. You can think of them as something like high-tech Lego blocks. Instead of carving new processors from silicon as single chips, semiconductor companies assemble them from multiple smaller pieces of silicon—known as chiplets.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Think you vote counts?
In Rogers Arkansas a thumbdrive was temporarily lost and found a day after voting. It had 900 votes.
It didn't change thing.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:11 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:32 am It is quite common - I see it in all the time while traveling. I even saw it in India this summer which I chuckled at.
I see 2 at home minimum. I have half a mind to name mine "Russian Counterintelligence Van".

But sadly the takeaway for a lot of people will be that the crooked, rogue FBI was watching them.
My home network is currently named Surveilance Van 5. When I set up the network at my in-laws' house, I named it Surveilance Van 3, and it's still that way. :D

Not sure if that's any weirder than one of my neighbors' network being named "DollsandTractors".
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:45 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:11 pm

My home network is currently named Surveilance Van 5. When I set up the network at my in-laws' house, I named it Surveilance Van 3, and it's still that way. :D

Not sure if that's any weirder than one of my neighbors' network being named "DollsandTractors".
Mine is currently named "MossadNet"
Black Lives Matter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

One of our neighbors is running "Durka durka jihad durka". Which apparently is a reference to something?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

TheMix wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:34 am One of our neighbors is running "Durka durka jihad durka". Which apparently is a reference to something?
Probably a Team America World Police reference.

Hodor.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My vague recollection was that someone told me it was from that movie. It would make sense. I've managed to forget everything from that movie, though. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

TheMix wrote:My vague recollection was that someone told me it was from that movie. It would make sense. I've managed to forget everything from that movie, though. :D
That’s a shame. The songs were great.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fox News is my favorite parody site these days. Their top story right now? The Monica Lewinsky/Bill Clinton scandal.

I kid you not. :lol:
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:20 am Fox News is my favorite parody site these days. Their top story right now? The Monica Lewinsky/Bill Clinton scandal.

I kid you not. :lol:
Hah!

There are voters who were born AFTER that occurred. They are literally talking (but not in a historical context) about something that happened a generation ago, a month after putting Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS.

That is so fucked up.

Both sides. MSM bias!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:46 pm CNN sues Trump and White House aides over Acosta

Good hit him in the pocketbook where it hurts the rat.
That's not...I don't think...I'm pretty sure that's not how any of this works.

Or maybe I've misunderstood the lawsuit from the start. I thought/expected it to be a lawsuit over free speech. Is it not that? Because free speech lawsuits aren't directed at private citizens and there are no expectations of punitive awards from anyone's personal pocketbook. The taxpayer however, may very well foot the bill.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The suit alleges that Acosta and CNN's First and Fifth Amendment rights are being violated by the ban.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Wait. So they're taking the fifth?

Which is all I now about the fifth. Don't worry iz, I can look it up myself.

edit: I looked it up. It didn't help. I'm going with El Guapo's interpretation because I absolutely do not know any better.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, hearing that the Fifth Amendment is involved is surprising. They must be saying that they have a property right in the press pass, which is being taken from them without due process of law.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The good thing about speaking ill of the dead is that they can't defend themselves:
A recently defeated Republican congressman is blaming the Democratic House takeover on the late Republican Sen. John McCain's vote against repealing the Affordable Care Act. First-term Minnesota Rep. Jason Lewis argued in a Wall Street Journal opinion piece first published Sunday that McCain's vote against repealing the federal health care law last year "killed the reform effort."

Lewis said the vote also unleashed a wave of Democratic attack ads against Republicans across the country on health care issues.

McCain, a longtime Arizona senator, was among three Republicans to vote against the repeal legislation in the Senate.
Lewis argued that McCain's vote was motivated by distaste for President Donald Trump and not by policy concerns.

Lewis's column first appeared online on Veteran's Day.
Lewis is no stranger to controversy. His past career as a conservative talk show radio host was a campaign issue in his 2016 election and again during his failed 2018 bid for a second term, including years-old remarks in which he wondered aloud why he couldn't call a woman "a slut" and said it's not the federal government's place to ban slavery.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:24 pm
Lewis is no stranger to controversy. His past career as a conservative talk show radio host was a campaign issue in his 2016 election and again during his failed 2018 bid for a second term, including years-old remarks in which he wondered aloud why he couldn't call a woman "a slut" and said it's not the federal government's place to ban slavery.
i remember this mofo. he got elected to the MN legislature?? argh
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Makes me want to take a paper to them like a bad pet...*Smacks paper on floor near them* "Bad republican bad...NO! NO!" *slaps paper near them*
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That was linked somewhere else here. I started reading but as usual, he gets my vitiriol going and I don't need that.

I will simply quote
What we can make of those opportunities will depend on our Democratic colleagues. Will they choose to go it alone and simply make political points? Or will they choose to work together and actually make a difference?

Last week, the American people made it abundantly clear that they prefer that Congress focus on making a difference.

That message may have been lost on a few House Democrats, who have made clear their preference for investigations over policy results. After years of rhetoric, it’s hardly news that some are more interested in fanning the flames of division than reaching across the aisle.
And juxtapose that to
Both houses of Congress have taken swift action to right-size a bloated federal regulatory state. The Senate has shattered records in confirming the president’s well-qualified judicial nominees, including two outstanding jurists to serve on the Supreme Court
Needless to say, the past two years of unified Republican government will be remembered as a period of historic productivity.
This is what the Senate’s Republican majority was elected to do. And we’ll continue to get it done.
How can anyone read that and see that as 2+2=4?

Fuck this guy. Worst American in my lifetime.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I would say he's the real-life equivalent of Mr. Burns from The Simpsons, but that would be doing a disservice to Mr. Burns. There have been a lot of oily politicians throughout history, but he's one of the lowest bottom-feeders I've ever seen.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Jeff Flake announced that he won't vote to move any judiciary nominees for a vote on the floor unless McConnell allows a floor vote on a resolution to protect Mueller. Of course, we've gone down this road with Flake before....
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:07 pm Of course, we've gone down this road with Flake before....
The man has a last name that he needs to live up to!

Also, he's out in 2 months anyway, and Congress is going to be in recess for most of that time.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:07 pm Jeff Flake announced that he won't vote to move any judiciary nominees for a vote on the floor unless McConnell allows a floor vote on a resolution to protect Mueller. Of course, we've gone down this road with Flake before....
Hey, someone finally told him that he could do that! He must be kicking himself for not knowing that before.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

...as he unironically blocks bi-partisan bill to protect Mueller.
But, in a shocking development, the Senate Majority Leader refused to provide the unanimous consent required to advance the bill Wednesday afternoon — a move that raises the harrowing possibility that Mitch McConnell is not always honest about the motivations behind his procedural machinations.
Seriously. F this guy. But yeah, as pointed out at least Jeff Flake took a stand. :roll:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've had friends who were super-nice, would agree to do something with you, then bail at the last minute. Repeatedly. I hate people like that. Like really, really, hate. Either man up and commit to your commitments or GTFO. Flake is firmly in "GTFO" territory for me right now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Radio news was reporting that the CelCos and TelCos are days away from having a deadline for stopping robo dailers.

Isn't the government supposed to be short on regulation and tough on crime? Why isn't the FCC going after criminal activity and when it's international, going after international carriers?

Run to the Internet

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1NA2KH

Now I get the idea that you want the tech that allows spoofing to stop and I support it. But the method of "fix this thing" so we don't gets complaints about not prosecuting criminals makes little sense to me. Especially from an antiregulation regime.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ah - got to love the GOP. They are running the NC playbook on voter disenfranchisement in Wisconsin at the moment. Pathetic.

Note - here is a non-Daily Kos version of this story that takes a broader view from neighboring Michigan. I grabbed the tweet below for the headline.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Pre-Thanksgiving politics timewaster: a Guardian quiz, How Populist Are You?

Not surprisingly, most Guardian readers are populist lefties. I am a non-populist lefty.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You're most similar to:
Barack Obama

You're least similar to:
Donald Trump
I’m definitely not a populist. People suck.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I am one hex left and then seven hexes up left of middle.
You're most similar to:
AMLO
Mexican president
Andrés Manuel López Obrador was elected earlier this year on pledges to fight corruption, moderate the 'war' on drugs, and champion 'the forgotten people'.
You're least similar to:
Donald Trump
US president
Donald Trump is the president of the US. He has repeatedly failed to condemn radical rightwing activists, and for a time employed Steve Bannon on his presidential team.
Least similar to Trump? Whoda guessed?

Also how am I populist left here but very libertarian on all of the libertarian sponsored self assessments. I do think I both seem and have become more populist and more left ever since the right picked up the line and moved is so far "right". I desire to return to conservative libertarianism with reasonable expectations of what it means to contribute to and live in a 21st century civilization but they broke it and we need some serious realignment as a nation (state and populace) that realigns me both toward liberal and populist/egalitarian movements.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Most similar to Emmanuel Macron, but it's not really all that close.

I'm about halfway down the non-populist quarter, and fairly centrist with a lean to the left because of the social questions they asked.

Least: Trump.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog