Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Skinypupy »

Enough wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:32 pm So Twitter finally has banned Ron Watkins, aka Q (edit, there's a great Reply All podcast about Ron everyone should listen to). And Mike Flynn and Sidney Powell. About freaking time.

Just heard they suspended Ben Garrison too (the guy who does all those insane pro-Trump cartoons). :lol: :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Did anyone else just get a software update notification on their iPhone? :ninja:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Judd Apatow
@JuddApatow

Jan 8
It is wrong to compare Josh Hawley to Hitler. Hitler was a published author.

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Scaramucci wrote:One Scaramucci left for Trump.
He's still an asshole, but I do somewhat admire his ability to embrace the meme.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

MoreUnstableHat Retweeted
Sweet Meteor O'Death
@smod4real

1: Why did you bring zip ties?
2: I was thinking there might be workstations with disorganized power & data cables and that I could use the zip ties to bind all the cables together-
1: In the U.S. Capitol?
2: Um yes
1: In tactical gear?
2: I take cable organization very seriously
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
The lack of thought here is amazing.
I work for the people, not the communists.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Wait. 75 Million people are going to send $5 to every GOP person running for office who identifies themselves against communist free enterprise who reject the support of violent insurrection? Luck with that. Go fleece a patriot.

Edit: Made the mistake of looking at her twitter feed. That won't happen again.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Well, technically she's asking for "$5 dollars," meaning five-dollar dollars. Five-dollar dollars are obviously counterfeits, so she's asking her donors to commit a crime.

Pretty shameless to do so again so quickly after last Wednesday.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think people are just trying to be tough on these GOP jerks but secretly will continue their assholiness.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was just walking my dog at dusk and spotted an airliner way up high with flowing contrails and blinking lights and thought, we can that but we also do what we did in DC and online.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Tommy Tuberville, a newly elected senator from Alabama says the presidential inauguration should be postponed. Of course the constitution says it has to be Jan 20 but he doesn't know that. He also thinks the the three branches of government weren't designed to be held by the same political party, you know the executive branch and the senate and the house of representatives.
People running for Congress really should have to take a test to qualify.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:04 pm Tommy Tuberville, a newly elected senator from Alabama says the presidential inauguration should be postponed. Of course the constitution says it has to be Jan 20 but he doesn't know that. He also thinks the the three branches of government weren't designed to be held by the same political party, you know the executive branch and the senate and the house of representatives.

Oh, I like both parties! Country and Western!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Covered in another thread, but the short of it is that he was suggesting the swearing in take place on the 20th, but they put the inauguration festivities (i.e., the party) off until later.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:04 pm Tommy Tuberville, a newly elected senator from Alabama says the presidential inauguration should be postponed. Of course the constitution says it has to be Jan 20 but he doesn't know that. He also thinks the the three branches of government weren't designed to be held by the same political party, you know the executive branch and the senate and the house of representatives.
That was a misquote on the inauguration, he actually said swear in now, celebrate later. Doesn't mean he is not an idiot berk.

Edit, jeez you need to get in line to correct somebody around here.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:13 pm
Edit, jeez you need to get in line to correct somebody around here.
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That's a Gins-BAM!

That's my purse! I don't know you!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Catching up on my RSS feed and I stumbled across this article from 10 AM on January 6:

DC Mayor - DC "Absolutely Prepared" for Demonstrations
Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser said the nation’s capital is “absolutely prepared” for the large pro-Trump protest scheduled for Wednesday.

The city has closed down streets around the protest site and called in the National Guard to support local law enforcement in anticipation of the demonstration. A smaller event happened on Tuesday, which Bowser said led to “several” arrests.
Welp.

Also I'm sure the bit about the National Guard will be investigated during the inevitable hearings - they didn't arrive until hours later despite repeated calls from various Governors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I recommend reading the Secret Service report in Mulaney's voice if you have the knowledge to do so.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So close...

benwikler wrote:If Trump had flipped 10,342 votes in Wisconsin, 5,890 votes in Georgia, and 5,229 votes in Arizona, today would've been his second inaugural.

Thanks to tireless organizing in those three states and many others, it's the start of a new era instead.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Marketplace worked with Dessa to give Janet Yellen gets the "Hamilton" treatment.

-Relocated to Biden's Cabinet Thread.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:19 pm So close...

benwikler wrote:If Trump had flipped 10,342 votes in Wisconsin, 5,890 votes in Georgia, and 5,229 votes in Arizona, today would've been his second inaugural.

Thanks to tireless organizing in those three states and many others, it's the start of a new era instead.
7 million vote margin but 21.5k could have flipped it. Damn the EC.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A statewide movement to make Newsom only the second California governor ever recalled is gaining steam. In their petition to oust him, the effort's organizers said they broke the 1 million signatures mark by mid-January, leaving two months to secure another roughly 500,000 needed to bring the question to a vote.
https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/po ... 147418001/
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That was a pretty costly lunch.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

He/Him/His/Porcupine
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think half the country is delusional. All this support for an obvious liar and cheat is just unbelievable. How can otherwise sane people go for this?
Yes, I am in the half of the country that is obviously delusional and think this sort of thing is wrong.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

For what it's worth, I was approached over the weekend by a round man with a clipboard while I was idling in my car at the Transfer Station, waiting to drop off my garbage and recyclables.

"Would you be willing to sign this? We're trying to get a measure on the ballot to make it a requirement for someone to be both over 18 and a legal resident of the US in order to vote."

"Uhhh. No?" and I thought to myself "Those are already requirements. WTF?"

"Okay, have a good day." and he tottered off.

It didn't sink in until he was well clear of me and talking to the next car that he was working to prop up some voter suppression. It's not about being 18 and a US resident. It'll be about showing up at the voting booth with your state ID or driver's license and anyone who either lost it, can't get it, or can't afford it can't vote. I stewed about that the whole way home.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:04 am I think half the country is delusional. All this support for an obvious liar and cheat is just unbelievable. How can otherwise sane people go for this?
Yes, I am in the half of the country that is obviously delusional and think this sort of thing is wrong.
Ummmmm.....which half are you talking about?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:04 am I think half the country is delusional. All this support for an obvious liar and cheat is just unbelievable. How can otherwise sane people go for this?
So, honest question :
How do -you- buck the trends in your area?
What I’m really asking (from your perspective in the eye of the storm) is, why are they not seeing Trump for the liar/cheat that he is? It’s obvious to me, it’s obvious to you...
Are we up against an army of fools and dupes? Or are they all ‘playing along’ and just willing to do anything to have a fellow Hater in the drivers seat.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's all over the news with Republican senators and representatives still thinking Trump was robbed by voter fraud, not counting the riots in DC.
And yes living in Arkansas it's the heart of Trump country.
It is just beyond me how the "average" republican can believe these lies.
Also I was sort of being facetious.
Last edited by dbt1949 on Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's ok because everything's great in Blue Georgia now.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:24 am
So, honest question :
How do -you- buck the trends in your area?
What I’m really asking (from your perspective in the eye of the storm) is, why are they not seeing Trump for the liar/cheat that he is? It’s obvious to me, it’s obvious to you...
Are we up against an army of fools and dupes? Or are they all ‘playing along’ and just willing to do anything to have a fellow Hater in the drivers seat.
Yes and no.

The reality is the American electorate is notoriously uninformed. The last number I heard is that only 25% of the people can be considered to have a working knowledge of current events. This Forbes article says only 1 in 3 can name the three branches of government.

You could argue that anyone uninformed is a fool or a dupe, but that wouldn't just be conservatives, and it doesn't make them haters.

I'm not coming into this unbiased, but I do see much less tolerance for political viewpoints from mainstream liberals than I do from mainstream conservatives. It's reversed in the rabid extremists, though, Portland and Seattle do seem to be trying to compete.

That is absolutely alienating moderate conservatives and allowed the rise of talk radio and Fox News. Consider the level of conversation between All Things Considered and Rush Limbaugh or even something like Talking Points Memo vs Drudge. Rush and Drudge are trying to grab those uninformed voters (and brainwash them). What does the left have? And while that sounds like a paradox, most conservatives tuning in for the first time are just looking for a viewpoint that aligns to theirs. They go just trying to get information that isn't from liberal news. They go in rolling their eyes or saying that's not true. Until they get the article or rant that they slightly agree with. Or is mostly true.

Of course it's all a con, but if you're not informed enough... you can't see the con.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:23 pm The Leaky Project
Yes, this was terrible, and TLP moved quickly to ostracize the bastard.

So, Stimpmeister, some of your criticisms of the left are entirely valid. I wonder what your take is on right ring extremists storming the Capitol, killing and maiming cops, and screaming for the death of Congress people.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:44 am
stimpy wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:23 pm The Leaky Project
Yes, this was terrible, and TLP moved quickly to ostracize the bastard.

So, Stimpmeister, some of your criticisms of the left are entirely valid. I wonder what your take is on right ring extremists storming the Capitol, killing and maiming cops, and screaming for the death of Congress people.
Abhorrent.
All involved should be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent and should have to deal with whatever fallout comes from it that affects their personal and professional lives.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Does that extend to Trump? All those involved ?
Do you place blame at his feet?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:22 pm Does that extend to Trump? All those involved ?
Do you place blame at his feet?
Full blame?
No. Did he or other "leaders" help calm the situation? No. He certainly spouted rhetoric, but I think the people that took action were just waiting for an excuse, any excuse, to act out their fantasies. Just like most rioters and looters.
In the end, people are responsible for their own actions, lemmings are not.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stimpy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:40 pmI think the people that took action were just waiting for an excuse, any excuse, to act out their fantasies.
Never forget that in this equation, it looks like there was an element with intent and planning behind it. It wasn't a mob of pure anger and resentment. There were some actors in the crowd with a more planned agenda.

If this was a BLM protest, these would be the people who drove from out of state to loot department stores and then drive home. Except instead of looting shoes, they wanted to loot democracy.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Paingod wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:11 am For what it's worth, I was approached over the weekend by a round man with a clipboard while I was idling in my car at the Transfer Station, waiting to drop off my garbage and recyclables.

"Would you be willing to sign this? We're trying to get a measure on the ballot to make it a requirement for someone to be both over 18 and a legal resident of the US in order to vote."

It didn't sink in until he was well clear of me and talking to the next car that he was working to prop up some voter suppression. It's not about being 18 and a US resident. It'll be about showing up at the voting booth with your state ID or driver's license and anyone who either lost it, can't get it, or can't afford it can't vote. I stewed about that the whole way home.
:evil:
https://www.denverpost.com/2020/11/03/c ... ip-voting/
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:40 pm but I think the people that took action were just waiting for an excuse, any excuse, to act out their fantasies. Just like most rioters and looters.
In the end, people are responsible for their own actions, lemmings are not.
Just like the one guy in the Lincoln Project. Although their leaders actually did speak out against him. So I'm not sure why you tried to associate his actions with the entire Lincoln Project by calling out it in your post instead of the one man who did those horrible things. :?
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Meal wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:54 pm
Paingod wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:11 am For what it's worth, I was approached over the weekend by a round man with a clipboard while I was idling in my car at the Transfer Station, waiting to drop off my garbage and recyclables.

:evil:
https://www.denverpost.com/2020/11/03/c ... ip-voting/
Also, you don't currently have to be a resident, do you?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's really more GOTV than voter suppression.

The language might be redundant with existing laws, but the point of measures like that is simply to have them on the ballot. Then the GOP can run adds about "the very important ballot measure limiting voting to citizens." Gullible people will hear it and assume that current law *doesn't* already forbid non-citizens from voting, and they'll be more likely to go to the polls to Stop Them Illegals.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.