Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:35 am "Eventually, it landed in Rudy Giuliani's possession pants, based on video evidence"
FTFY
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Do we have to always assume the worst?!
With Rudy and those people yes :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote:"Eventually, it landed in Rudy Giuliani's possession" is doing a lot of work there.
Yada yada yada...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Everyone fetch their fainting couches.

Nancy Pelosi will seek another term as House Speaker.
Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) intends to run for another term as House speaker, she said Sunday morning on CNN.

Pelosi’s commitment underscores Democrats’ confidence that they will be able to retain their majority in the House after Election Day. She also called President Trump’s debate-stage prediction that Republicans would retake the House majority “delusional.”
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, no. They need to choose someone else.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm fine sticking with Pelosi. I think she's aggressive enough, and she does a good job keeping the caucus together.

I'd be more interested in replacing Schumer, though I'm assuming that's not in the cards unless the Democrats fail to retake the Senate (though ironically, replacing him would be less important in that scenario).
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:56 pm I'm fine sticking with Pelosi. I think she's aggressive enough, and she does a good job keeping the caucus together.
I agree but I think it misses the crucial flaw. She has the Democratic curse. She can't communicate any sort of plan or vision to the public. That traditionally isn't the Speaker's role but it'll be very important for Democratic leadership to speak in unity. That is going to be a critical attribute in the battles to come.
I'd be more interested in replacing Schumer, though I'm assuming that's not in the cards unless the Democrats fail to retake the Senate (though ironically, replacing him would be less important in that scenario).
He has the same communication problem. And he certainly doesn't have the killer instinct needed.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oy

11 Arrested In Clashes After Pro-Trump Convoy Passes Through NYC's Times Square
Police arrested 11 people Sunday in New York City after fights erupted in Times Square as a large Jews for Trump convoy rolled through. Skirmishes broke out after some counterdemonstrators yanked flags off vehicles – and some drivers and passengers got out of their cars.
The clashes broke out on the same day the police department suspended an officer without pay for using his police cruiser's public address system to announce, "Trump 2020," repeatedly.

The officer broadcast his political opinions in Brooklyn's Flatbush neighborhood as angry onlookers spoke out against him — as well as against his vehicle, which was parked with its lights on, blocking a crosswalk.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:42 pm Yeah, no. They need to choose someone else.
100% agree.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:56 pm I'm fine sticking with Pelosi. I think she's aggressive enough, and she does a good job keeping the caucus together.

Pelosi has impressed me since gaining the majority. While it would be nice to have someone younger and charismatic in such a prominent role, she's proven herself capable. Not that our opinion matters, but I'd like to see her stay on the job.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They should elect AOC just to watch Repugnican heads explode.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:32 pmThey should elect AOC just to watch Repugnican heads explode.
*NSFW, last few seconds with the F' bomb
Last edited by Paingod on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Shes 80 for fucks sake. I'm not saying she can't do the job, obviously she can. But surely there is someone better suited in the party, no? We need more than leading by consensus right now.

Take your hundred million and enjoy a wonderful retirement. Or hell, run a foundation or start-up and do amazing things.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:40 pm Shes 80 for fucks sake. I'm not saying she can't do the job, obviously she can. But surely there is someone better suited in the party, no? We need more than leading by consensus right now.

Take your hundred million and enjoy a wonderful retirement. Or hell, run a foundation or start-up and do amazing things.
Who would that be? Honestly I'm open to other options personally, I just haven't read a good pitch yet for someone else.

She and the Democrats should 100% be thinking of future succession. But at the same time the Democrats aren't going to have a long window with full control of government (assuming that they get there at all, of course). I don't want someone learning on the job in the 2021 - 2023 window.

I will say if the Democrats fail to get full control of government then I think the argument to replace her with whomever is the next major leader in the democratic house caucus is somewhat stronger.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Law and Crime
Right-wing activists, hoaxers and alleged fraudsters Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl gave testimony in a civil case on Monday morning. And some of what was said might have less than positive implications for their upcoming criminal trial in Michigan.

The decidedly bumbling duo was sued in New York federal court in late October by the National Coalition on Black Civic Participation (NCBCP), a self-described and decades-old “nonpartisan civil rights and racial justice organization,” for allegedly violating the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and the Ku Klux Klan Act of 1871.

According to the nonprofit groups’s 23-page complaint, Burkman, Wohl and their associated political and lobbying firms are behind a racist “disinformation campaign” that operates “by bombarding lawfully registered voters with robocalls containing blatant lies about mail-in voting in order to intimidate those voters into not exercising their right to vote in the November 3, 2020 election.”
During Monday’s hearing, Wohl served as his own attorney and openly answered questions that he was asked, according to journalist Zachary Petrizzo, who listened in on the proceedings.
“Wohl is not only defending himself, but he is answering questions in a civil case even though he has been charged in a criminal case,” noted former federal prosecutor and CNN legal analyst Renato Mariotti via Twitter. “What he says in this civil case can and will be used against him! Normally defendants request a ‘stay’ that pauses the civil case.”

Attorney Ken White was even more aghast:

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:05 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:40 pm Shes 80 for fucks sake. I'm not saying she can't do the job, obviously she can. But surely there is someone better suited in the party, no? We need more than leading by consensus right now.

Who would that be? Honestly I'm open to other options personally, I just haven't read a good pitch yet for someone else.

She and the Democrats should 100% be thinking of future succession. But at the same time the Democrats aren't going to have a long window with full control of government (assuming that they get there at all, of course). I don't want someone learning on the job in the 2021 - 2023 window.

I will say if the Democrats fail to get full control of government then I think the argument to replace her with whomever is the next major leader in the democratic house caucus is somewhat stronger.
They should have been thinking of future succession in 2018 when AOC upset that apple cart. They dropped that ball (again) but that's not reason enough to keep Pelosi on, IMO.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:17 pm

They should have been thinking of future succession in 2018 when AOC upset that apple cart. They dropped that ball (again) but that's not reason enough to keep Pelosi on, IMO.
But like, if you're saying that the Democrats should replace Pelosi in 2021, who should they replace her with?
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:32 pm They should elect AOC just to watch Repugnican heads explode.
No.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:16 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:17 pm

But like, if you're saying that the Democrats should replace Pelosi in 2021, who should they replace her with?
Adam Schiff?
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:56 pm The Hill
A West Virginia judge dismissed a coal mogul’s defamation lawsuit this week against cable television host John Oliver and HBO.

In a decision dated Wednesday, West Virginia Judge Jeffrey Cramer accepted HBO’s argument that Bob Murray, CEO of coal mining giant Murray Energy Corp., failed to show that Oliver had defamed him according to the law.
Reuters
U.S. coal baron Robert Murray, an ally of President Donald Trump and a leading industry voice who called global warming a hoax, died on Sunday at age 80, U.S. media reported.

Murray retired on Oct. 19 after 63 years in the coal business, shortly after applying for federal benefits to treat his black lung disease, a respiratory illness caused by prolonged exposure to coal dust, according to a report by West Virginia public radio.
Murray, who had worked underground for 16 years early in his career, wrote in his filing for black lung benefits that he was near death and heavily dependent on an oxygen tank.
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:03 pmAdam Schiff?
He'd be a fine choice from the communicating with the public point of view. He did an exceptional job with the impeachment trial. Does he have the caucus? Can he herd all the cats? I don't know. He hasn't been tested that way. That is another matter altogether.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Who is the House Dem whip?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:07 pm Who is the House Dem whip?
Jim Clyburn (SC-6)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Salon
Weeks after Michigan prosectors hit the pair of right-wing provocateurs with charges in an alleged voter-intimidation robocall scheme, Jacob Wohl, 22, and Jack Burkman, 58, have been indicted by an Ohio grand jury on separate felony counts.

Local prosecutors charged Wohl and Burkman each with eight counts of felony telecommunications fraud and seven counts of felony bribery for allegedly sowing false fears about voting by mail in targeted minority communities in Ohio, plus multiple other states. Warrants were issued for the pair's arrest, who face up to 18 years and six months in prison if convicted.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hundreds stranded in the cold waiting for buses in chaotic post-Trump rally scene
When President Donald Trump left Omaha on Tuesday, thousands watched and cheered in the frigid air as Air Force One took off into the night sky. But for these loyal supporters, their experience at the Trump rally was far from over.
For the next several hours, hundreds and hundreds of people who attended the rally were stranded, as a chaotic scene unfolded on dark roads on a remote stretch near the Omaha airport. They waited for buses that didn't arrive, unable to reach the site because of a clogged two-lane road.
Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Dear Jaimie Harrison,

Sending me five emails a day does not make me likely to give you money. It only makes me unsubscribe.

Good luck,

-Kraken
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, I donated a while back and almost instantly regretted it when I saw the sheer volume of emails they were throwing at me (and related emails) on an almost hourly basis. Absurd.

It will definitely make me pause the next time I want to donate to someone's campaign (or use my wife's email :ninja:)

I guess they all have the same used-car salesman, over the top...tone, but his seemed particularly annoying for some reason (Biden's too for that matter).

THANKS FOR DONATING THIS MORNING! JUST ANOTHER QUICK EMAIL TO SEE IF YOU CAN GIVE A BIT MORE THIS AFTERNOON?
NO?
HOW ABOUT TONIGHT?
NO?
HOW ABOUT NOW??!
NOW???
OK, WE GET IT, INSERT NAME, YOU ARE IGNORING US, BUT WE REALLY NEED YOUR MO....HOW ABOUT NOW?!?!?! CLICK HERE TO DONATE MORE...MORE...MOAAAAARRRRRRR.

Obnoxious as F. All those millions and millions of dollars, and record breaking donations, and they can't do better than sounding like a 2 bit huckster from the late 80's on a late night local access channel?
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm afraid to unsubscribe, stop, etc... History suggests to me this only increases the circulation of your contact information as being live. i don't know if this a change in times or all goes back to giving Obama money during the 2008 primary. It sure seems to have opened the gates, though. I never got political spam pre 2008. now every even year, the only saving grace it they stop texting me after 20:00.

I always said if Trump did one thing and fought and won any reasonable manner against spammers, he'd have had a notch in my book. Things have gotten a shitton worse under him and his actual camp are in no small part to blame. The political spam trend between 2016 and 2020 makes the stuff I thought intolerable before seem trivial. Fuck all of them. Blue or Red. There is exactly a 0% chance that an unsolicited invasion of my phone or email will sway my viewpoint to become more friendly to what you are selling. 0%.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:27 pm I'm afraid to unsubscribe, stop, etc... History suggests to me this only increases the circulation of your contact information as being live.
I've always wondered if that is just an urban myth, or legit spammer warfare tactics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:33 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:27 pm I'm afraid to unsubscribe, stop, etc... History suggests to me this only increases the circulation of your contact information as being live.
I've always wondered if that is just an urban myth, or legit spammer warfare tactics.
Spammers definitely count any response as a live email and either target with more spam or sell the contact. Political campaigns and major corporations...generally respect the unsubscribe.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:36 pm
Spammers definitely count any response as a live email and either target with more spam or sell the contact. Political campaigns and major corporations...generally respect the unsubscribe.
It's a lot harder for them to avoid law enforcement when the complaints are coming from inside the borders.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Selling contact lists in bulk is part of the profit.

Literally the first link on a google search (which goes in to the now much more common fear of phishing, which is not something I would think is a concern... if the contact is actually from the a candidate's team.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/0 ... -clicking/
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
The last of the seven top aides who accused Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton of criminal violations has resigned from the agency.
Two of the other whistleblowers were fired last week, two more were put on leave, and two others have already resigned — leaving the sprawling agency without seven of its top officials. A spokesman for Paxton denied that the firings were retaliation, citing unspecified violations of agency policy.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, never unsub from outright spam. Political campaigns should be rule-abiding. Elizabeth Warren respected my unsub. Somehow, though, Moveon.org got my address last week, and Jaimie showed up the day after I dropped Moveon. I suspect they're a super spreader. We'll see.

Jaimie's messages were going to the junk email box that I only empty every 4-5 days, so there were 20 emails piled up there. Not cool, Jaimie.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I was editing a campus news item today about a student who's been doing some nonpartisan political science, all focused on "the Nov. 4 election." Well, that's why they hire copy editors. I earned my $25 for that one. It struck me as funny because of my running gag that Nov. 4 is when Republicans should vote.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Yeah, never unsub from outright spam. Political campaigns should be rule-abiding. Elizabeth Warren respected my unsub. Somehow, though, Moveon.org got my address last week, and Jaimie showed up the day after I dropped Moveon. I suspect they're a super spreader. We'll see.

Jaimie's messages were going to the junk email box that I only empty every 4-5 days, so there were 20 emails piled up there. Not cool, Jaimie.
Obama took a while an unsubbed me after I donated but later I had shit coming from every where adjacent to him out of no where and over time that circle of spam expanded. Then they somehow 2014 they made a leap to my phone and it's gotten worse and worse every two years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'll be texting election spam reminders today to a list of local voters who requested but have not returned their early ballots.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

In reference to the US economy:

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I've have only otten one election spam, it was on Tuesday,
and I have no idea why I got it. Via text:
I'm Anna from Czech American Voter Outreach. I hope you will vote for Joe Biden. As Czech-Americans we believe Biden is much better for us and all Americans. We can't afford four more chaotic years of Trump. Feel free to call us back [800 number] and above all – please vote!

I called them back and expressed my solidarity with Czech Americans but advised them to "Czech" the polls and save their resources. It's in the bag for Biden!

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Defiant wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:45 am In reference to the US economy:

I've never been good at math but, yeah, sometimes I have to remind myself whatever the real numbers maybe from a specific case is you lose 99% of $100 and then gain 99% of the remaining $1, you have $1.99. If you gain 99% of $100 and then lose 99% of the resulting $199 then you have about $1.99.