Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:05 am Trump shot himself in the foot with this one. He thought he would get soldiers on his side but many former soldiers are tweeting out that Gallagher was a disgrace. If you haven't read about what Gallagher was accused of - it was horrific and Trump signaled that someone who committed war crimes is ok by him. The man is a complete stain on *HUMANITY* much less our nation.
There were two other such pardons as well. Fox hosts were crowing about how this ends efforts by the government to "second guess" the actions and choices of our brave troops.

These are cases where war criminals were reported by THEIR FELLOW SOLDIERS. The effect will be to chill any more of that.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I, uh, I don't think that PR campaign is telling the message you want to deliver...
Gov. Kristi Noem has a message for South Dakota: "Meth. We're On It."
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:55 pm I, uh, I don't think that PR campaign is telling the message you want to deliver...
Lighten up, he's got a busy agenda.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:55 pm I, uh, I don't think that PR campaign is telling the message you want to deliver...
"Also, I'm naked and screaming at cops in the middle of the street and OH MY GOD THE BUGS THE BUGS THE BUGS!!!"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw a WH spokeswoman saying the orange moron had a doctors visit because he works so hard. HAH! At what? Tweeting hate and playing terrible golf? They did say he had a higher heart calcium lvl in 2018 so all hope is not lost.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NY Times
The Navy SEAL at the center of a high-profile war crimes case has been ordered to appear before Navy leaders Wednesday morning, and is expected to be notified that the Navy intends to oust him from the elite commando force, two Navy officials said on Tuesday.

The move could put the SEAL commander, Rear Adm. Collin Green, in direct conflict with President Trump, who last week cleared the sailor, Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher, of any judicial punishment in the war crimes case. Military leaders opposed that action as well as Mr. Trump’s pardons of two soldiers involved in other murder cases.

Navy officials had planned to begin the process of taking away Chief Gallagher’s Trident pin, the symbol of his membership in the SEALs, earlier this month. But as he waited outside his commander’s office, Navy leaders sought clearance from the White House that never came, and no action was taken.

Admiral Green now has the authorization he needs from the Navy to act against Chief Gallagher, and the formal letter notifying the chief of the action has been drafted by the admiral, the two officials said.
The Navy also plans to take the Tridents of three SEAL officers who oversaw Chief Gallagher — Lt. Cmdr. Robert Breisch, Lt. Jacob Portier and Lt. Thomas MacNeil — and their letters have been drafted as well, one of the officials said.

Under Navy regulations, a SEAL’s Trident can be taken if a commander loses “faith and confidence in the service member’s ability to exercise sound judgment, reliability and personal conduct.” The Navy has removed 154 Tridents since 2011.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My well thought out and detailed opinion of the White House and it's orange turd that refuses to be flushed and is being licked well by the GOP.

Enlarge Image

EDIT: The gaulded eyed sob.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Why did Trump choose Stephanie Grisham as his press secretary? Because she’s no slouch in the bald face lie department either.
Covfefe!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

If they did leave those notes, they sure weren't wrong.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Which Democrat matches you best on these 10 questions?

I got Booker with 6 and a three-way tie among Sanders, Warren, and Steyer (who?) for second at 5. Buttigieg and Gabbard tied for last at 2.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Biden - 8
Klobuchar- 7
Buttigieg - 6
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:28 am Which Democrat matches you best on these 10 questions?

I got Booker with 6 and a three-way tie among Sanders, Warren, and Steyer (who?) for second at 5. Buttigieg and Gabbard tied for last at 2.
How do you not know who Tom Steyer is? He has single handedly kept all the advertising platforms solvent with his ad buys. They are everywhere. My kids have said that they'd vote him president if only he'd promise never to appear in an ad ever again (they are 10 and 13).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Biden - 8
Yang - 7
Klobuchar - 6

To no surprise at all, Sanders and Warren pulled up the rear.

I had a hard time with questions 6 and 7 as a fiscal conservative, and it's a shame only 3 of the Democratic candidates give a crap about the national debt.
Hodor.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

7 - Sanders
6 - Warren
5 - Booker, Yang

I'm surprised Yang came in so high.

Still voting Warren in the primary, tho.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:22 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:28 am Which Democrat matches you best on these 10 questions?

How do you not know who Tom Steyer is? He has single handedly kept all the advertising platforms solvent with his ad buys. They are everywhere. My kids have said that they'd vote him president if only he'd promise never to appear in an ad ever again (they are 10 and 13).
I am pretty sure I have seen more Steyer ads than I have for any other current Democratic candidate combined.
Hodor.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Warren and Yang 6
Buttigieg and Sanders 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Sander - 8
Warren - 5
Booker - 4
Gabbard - 1
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ack -

Booker - 5
Steyer - 5
Biden - 4
Harris - 4
Klobuchar - 4
Sanders - 4
Yang - 4
Gabbard - 4

More a Democratic voter of opportunity than belief apparently. At least for those 10 questions.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:26 pm NY Times
The Navy SEAL at the center of a high-profile war crimes case has been ordered to appear before Navy leaders Wednesday morning, and is expected to be notified that the Navy intends to oust him from the elite commando force, two Navy officials said on Tuesday.

The move could put the SEAL commander, Rear Adm. Collin Green, in direct conflict with President Trump, who last week cleared the sailor, Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher, of any judicial punishment in the war crimes case. Military leaders opposed that action as well as Mr. Trump’s pardons of two soldiers involved in other murder cases.

Navy officials had planned to begin the process of taking away Chief Gallagher’s Trident pin, the symbol of his membership in the SEALs, earlier this month. But as he waited outside his commander’s office, Navy leaders sought clearance from the White House that never came, and no action was taken.

Admiral Green now has the authorization he needs from the Navy to act against Chief Gallagher, and the formal letter notifying the chief of the action has been drafted by the admiral, the two officials said.
The Navy also plans to take the Tridents of three SEAL officers who oversaw Chief Gallagher — Lt. Cmdr. Robert Breisch, Lt. Jacob Portier and Lt. Thomas MacNeil — and their letters have been drafted as well, one of the officials said.

Under Navy regulations, a SEAL’s Trident can be taken if a commander loses “faith and confidence in the service member’s ability to exercise sound judgment, reliability and personal conduct.” The Navy has removed 154 Tridents since 2011.

Or not.
President Donald Trump on Thursday said he will not allow the Navy to take away an emblem signifying membership in the elite SEALs unit from an officer convicted of posing with an teen ISIS fighter's corpse.

"The Navy will NOT be taking away Warfighter and Navy Seal Eddie Gallagher’s Trident Pin. This case was handled very badly from the beginning," the tweet read. "Get back to business!"
"Get back to business." What a dumb fucking asshole.

(Though I do recognize that the whole pin issue moves the matter from "he should be in the brig" to "he shouldn't keep his pin")
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As much I don't foresee a time when I pull the level for any one in the GOP, this quickly lets me know I'm still not really a blue voter.

Biden 5
Klobuchar 5
Booker 4
Buttigieg 4
Gabbard 4
Steyer 4
Harris 3
Sanders 3
Yang 3
Warren 2

And given that Warren is my preference, it also lets me know that these 10 questions aren't at the heart of my vote, which honestly, is to reel in a runaway GOP and I think Warren is best suited among the field at the moment.

This does encourage me to get informed about Klobuchar, I guess.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:52 am
stessier wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:22 am

I am pretty sure I have seen more Steyer ads than I have for any other current Democratic candidate combined.
I don't watch much live TV and have not seen any political ads by anyone. If Steyer is advertising online, my ad blocker is zapping him.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I got Biden and Yang, which isn't really that surprising given my conservative roots.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I got Steyer, Harris and Biden, but I think those questions are too binary.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:06 pm I think those questions are too binary.
That was definitely an issue I had with the questions I had the biggest issue with. Like the government getting into college pricing question. Not sure how I feel about the government getting involved with that, and there was no "stay out of it" answer.

The cancelling student debt question was another one I have issues with. I get that it's an issue, but I don't see how the government can make $1.6T in debt that's probably not held by the government just vanish.
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I got Booker, Warren, Harris, Sanders, but I agree about the too-binary questions.

I got Biden dead last.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i don't think the EC should be kept as-is or abolished - it should be reverted to how it originally operated (as intended, not this modern compromised watered-down version)
Holman

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:33 pm i don't think the EC should be kept as-is or abolished - it should be reverted to how it originally operated (as intended, not this modern compromised watered-down version)
Wouldn't buying off a couple dozen electors be cheaper and easier than fighting for swing states?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:18 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:06 pm I think those questions are too binary.
That was definitely an issue I had with the questions I had the biggest issue with. Like the government getting into college pricing question. Not sure how I feel about the government getting involved with that, and there was no "stay out of it" answer.

The cancelling student debt question was another one I have issues with. I get that it's an issue, but I don't see how the government can make $1.6T in debt that's probably not held by the government just vanish.
Yeah, I don't like the questions either. A HUGE part of the equation is also which candidate would be able to best do what they say they will do.

Here's one crappy binary choice.
Health care for many Americans is provided by private insurance plans paid through their employers. In an overhaul of the American health-care system, private insurance should

Be Eliminated
Continue to Exist
For me, I think a 21st Century Economy would be best served with a basic Medicare for All type coverage, and Employers/Insurers can offer supplemental Insurance.

Nuclear power is another one - where is invest in Fusion?

Electoral College is a third. I've argued here that we should keep it, but raise the number of representatives based on population for now (current # fixed almost 100 years ago - it's time to make our representatives more equal in the number of people they actually represent, and more responsive to them).

My answers gave me:

7 Steyer
6 Biden
6 Booker
6 Harris
6 Yang
5 Klobuchar
4 Buttigieg
4 Sanders
4 Gabbard
3 Warren

But, for the remaining issues, I'll probably vote Warren. I also want increased financial regulation and investigation, and she would be tops at that. I want tax plans favoring increasing inequality (and, given Citizens United and Dark Money) reined in - Warren will be best at that. Warren also has indicated to me that she actually listens to the issues people have (see her visits to coal country for example, whereas other candidates are mostly playing the talk on TV and treat CA like an ATM), and will formulate policy accordingly. I don't know about the rest.

If this were a normal election (when was the last time we had sane candidates and a sane entrance - 1996 maybe?), I'd be inclined to vote more conservatively (Harris/Biden probably), but it's not.

I have no faith in Steyer and Yang (Billionaires with no prior Government Experience need not apply - see Trump),

I have little faith in Biden to do more than creep back towards an Obama status quo (and maybe get halfway there, or less, based on how ill-prepared he appears to be for GOP resistance).

I may take another look at Klobuchar and Booker, but I see them as also-rans currently.

Mayor Pete needs to do better with the Black vote projections - if he starts doing better there, I"ll look more closely, but I see him more like the billionaires w/o relevant experience.

Sanders I see as lesser than Warren, as I see her as more practical (which is odd, given some of her policy preferences), but it's based on how they stump. I like that both have strong ground games, as I think that is the key electability concern.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:13 pm
Health care for many Americans is provided by private insurance plans paid through their employers. In an overhaul of the American health-care system, private insurance should

Be Eliminated
Continue to Exist
For me, I think a 21st Century Economy would be best served with a basic Medicare for All type coverage, and Employers/Insurers can offer supplemental Insurance.
That was where it began to lose me as well for the pretty much the same reason. I was working very hard to find the answer that best matched "Medicare for All type coverage, and Employers/Insurers can offer supplemental Insurance." and had to stretch for an answer. How is that not included? Then it just kept getting worse. The strongest take away I got was if this the mainstream liberalism then I'm still not very blue at all, not matter how much I won't vote GOP. My best hope is the donkeys don't earn my resentment. Which goes back to for all I disliked about Obama (and it was a lot), he has still been the best president in my lifetime.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:33 pm I got Booker, Warren, Harris, Sanders, but I agree about the too-binary questions.

I got Biden dead last.
I got Yang and Booker, which makes some sense.

I generally agree about the binary questions, but at the same time I think that's hard to avoid if you're going to distill this into a quiz with specific results.
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

El Guapo wrote:I got Yang and Booker, which makes some sense.
I got Booker 8, Yang 7, and Gabbard at the bottom with 1.
El Guapo wrote: I generally agree about the binary questions, but at the same time I think that's hard to avoid if you're going to distill this into a quiz with specific results.
+1

It's not intended to be a nuanced reflection of the quiz-taker's complete political outlook, it's just a way to match you up with candidates using their existing positions on certain topics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:52 pm
El Guapo wrote:I got Yang and Booker, which makes some sense.
I got Booker 8, Yang 7, and Gabbard at the bottom with 1.
El Guapo wrote: I generally agree about the binary questions, but at the same time I think that's hard to avoid if you're going to distill this into a quiz with specific results.
+1

It's not intended to be a nuanced reflection of the quiz-taker's complete political outlook, it's just a way to match you up with candidates using their existing positions on certain topics.
Thou hast been taught to preserve all life as sacred. A man lies fatally stung by a venomous serpent. He pleads for a merciful death. Dost thou:

A. End his pain
B.Heed thy beliefs and refuse
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

C. Give him a shot of morphine.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

D. Give him a double shot of morphine.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'd like to think I'd end his life. I'm not sure I could. It's not out of the teachings all lives are sacred. It's likely out of the fact that I was not raised a killer. Fishing is really the only killing I've done. I've present for butchering enough but I've never done itself and while I come from a family of hunters, I was not raised to hunt, myself. I ran over a kitten once that crawled into the wheel well of my car and it wrecked me. I shot a bird in flight with a BB gun once and it wrecked me. Intentionally taking the life a person who is not doing me no harm? I can't imagine myself able to man up.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

What Would Warren Do?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:59 pm I'd like to think I'd end his life. I'm not sure I could. It's not out of the teachings all lives are sacred. It's likely out of the fact that I was not raised a killer.
Perhaps the prospect of being imprisoned would affect your decision too.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:48 pm C. Give him a shot of morphine.
1 Biden
1 Buttigieg
Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:49 pm D. Give him a double shot of morphine.
1 Warren
1 Yang

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:59 pm I'd like to think I'd end his life. I'm not sure I could. It's not out of the teachings all lives are sacred. It's likely out of the fact that I was not raised a killer. Fishing is really the only killing I've done. I've present for butchering enough but I've never done itself and while I come from a family of hunters, I was not raised to hunt, myself. I ran over a kitten once that crawled into the wheel well of my car and it wrecked me. I shot a bird in flight with a BB gun once and it wrecked me. Intentionally taking the life a person who is not doing me no harm? I can't imagine myself able to man up.
1 Sanders
1 Gabbard
1 Abe Simpson

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:20 pm 1 Abe Simpson
Enlarge Image
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:43 pm
Thou hast been taught to preserve all life as sacred. A man lies fatally stung by a venomous serpent. He pleads for a merciful death. Dost thou:

A. End his pain
B.Heed thy beliefs and refuse
Without Googling, I'm going to trust my hazy memory and guess...
Spoiler:
Ultima IV?