Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Rip

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Rip »

stessier wrote:Why do you think the market's one day reaction is symbolic of the state of the economy? :)
I think it is indicative of the fear of not having the fed pump tens of billions into the market every month. The economy has been crap for some time, just hidden by the pumping. The actual investmnt risk will be back if they stop which has investors quivering in their mansions.

Not to worry, with the MASSIVE savings of Obamacare and Immigration Reform we will all be kicking back on the beach drinking Margarita's by next election. :roll:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rip wrote:
stessier wrote:Why do you think the market's one day reaction is symbolic of the state of the economy? :)
I think it is indicative of the fear of not having the fed pump tens of billions into the market every month. The economy has been crap for some time, just hidden by the pumping. The actual investmnt risk will be back if they stop which has investors quivering in their mansions.

Not to worry, with the MASSIVE savings of Obamacare and Immigration Reform we will all be kicking back on the beach drinking Margarita's by next election. :roll:
They bolted Gold too. I wouldn't necessarily say the economy's been crap, but the added liquidity certainly helped.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Remind me not to piss off Tammy Duckworth.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fantastic stuff
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

GOP nominee for Governor in VA wants to ban oral sex:
In a statement, Cuccinelli claimed that the law, which the US Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit ruled unconstitutional earlier this year, is "an important tool that prosecutors use to put child molesters in jail."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

hepcat wrote:Fantastic stuff
It is even better when you add the commentary of a pregnant emotional army brat to the mix. I really wish I had recorded when my wife watched that video. It was grand. :lol:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Rip

Post by Rip »

Smoove_B wrote:GOP nominee for Governor in VA wants to ban oral sex:
In a statement, Cuccinelli claimed that the law, which the US Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit ruled unconstitutional earlier this year, is "an important tool that prosecutors use to put child molesters in jail."
Someone should let him know that if you ban sex you could get rid of ALL the child molesters and you wouldn't even need any jails.

What a dumbass!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rip wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:GOP nominee for Governor in VA wants to ban oral sex:
Someone should let him know that if you ban sex you could get rid of ALL the child molesters and you wouldn't even need any jails.

What a dumbass!
Yes, but that would take at least 17 years. It's your kind of bureaucratic foot-dragging that holds this country back.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No more Governor Rick Perry after next year.
Texas Gov. Rick Perry said Monday he will not seek re-election next year, bringing an end to a record run as chief executive of the Lone Star state.
Perry left open the possibility that he would try again and run for the White House, saying "any new decisions" he will announce "at the appropriate time." He recently rehired Mark Miner, a longtime aide who was one of the advisers behind his 2012 presidential bid.

The governor said he is focused on the next 18 months as governor, including a special session of the Texas Legislature.
Yay! Too bad the next guy likely won't be much different.
Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, a rising Republican Party star, has been making moves as though he will seek the governorship next year. He recently released a video, narrated by former senator-actor Fred Thompson, introducing himself to voters – even though Abbott has won statewide elections five times. Abbott also has amassed $18 million in campaign funds.
I go into the office in the morning,” he said, “I sue Barack Obama, and then I go home.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Arcanis wrote:
It is even better when you add the commentary of a pregnant emotional army brat to the mix. I really wish I had recorded when my wife watched that video. It was grand. :lol:
So is this embelishment, lies, or truth?
Braulio was honorably discharged from the United States Army and received a service connected, disability rating from the Department of Veterans Affairs for his active duty service as an enlisted soldier in the US Army.
If it's indeed truth, perhaps they need to change how the VA doles out disability ratings.

Anyway, it now appears that Strong Castle was just a bagman, much like most of the small businesses awarded contracts by the IRS.

Referring to one blanket purchase agreement worth up to $267 million to provide software maintenance and services, she said 98 percent of the value of the contract, if awarded, would “flow to IBM.” Still, she said Strong Castle provided a critical program management and logistics role.

Castillo agreed. He said his company competed for blanket purchase order deals, but it ultimately received about $50 million in IRS orders, of which $49 million went to “large business providers.”

“This is just the tip of the iceberg,” said Lloyd Chapman, founder of the American Small Business League, a nonprofit group that estimates large companies received more than $16 billion from the federal government’s top 100 small-business contracts in fiscal 2001.

Committee investigators said such “pass-throughs” aren’t limited to Strong Castle.

“To illustrate this point, it is not unusual for IRS to award a large sum contract to a small disadvantaged business such as Strong Castle, only to have the bulk of the funds go to a large computer manufacturer such as IBM or Hewlett Packard,” committee staff wrote in the report. “This practice completely undermines the goals of these programs.”
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Arcanis wrote:
So is this embelishment, lies, or truth?
Braulio was honorably discharged from the United States Army and received a service connected, disability rating from the Department of Veterans Affairs for his active duty service as an enlisted soldier in the US Army.
If it's indeed truth, perhaps they need to change how the VA doles out disability ratings.
They do need to change how the VA rates people and their level of disability as well as have a better process of making sure it is related to their service. I do believe non-service related issues are actually covered under the VA, but in a very limited manor. This is based on my experience in bringing my dad to the VA and his issues with disability since both his ears were ruptured during a medical procedure several years ago, it was certainly not service related as he had been out for some 20 years by then.

As to Braulio I'm pretty sure he did to the VA what many people do in the medical system in general, he kept shopping new doctors until he got one to diagnose him the way he wanted.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New ceiling fan regulations incoming!

Where the heck is cdale?
Current standards for the fans have existed since 2005, but a new proposal from the department would likely involve more conservative standards and add additional rules for testing the fans.

Blackburn and Rokita say those measures would make the fans more expensive and limit the number of rooms where fans can be placed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I love how there's no actual substance as to what these regulations might entail.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Does this mean the 9 I have installed in the last 3 years effectively make my rooms death traps? Cause I'm still trying to sell a house in WI and I think that might be a selling point I can exploit for a certain part of the market...
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
theohall

Post by theohall »

According to the left, why was it okay to have TWO recall elections in Wisconsin when things were not going their way, but a recall in Colorado is a horrible idea and would lead to a path of recall after recall in spite of this being the first in Colorado in over 100 years?
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

The rollback screwed everything up. What were we all arguing about?
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not entirely true. W wouldn't have brought us Obamacare, Obama has been more environmentally friendly, he acquiesced to the writing on the wall concerning gay marriage, and he's been much tougher with the war on drugs... But aside from that...

Which raises the question, why did republicans rally behind W again? (And would Hillary have been different?)
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

The 'shop makes him look like a bobblehead.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hillary probably would have governed as a genuine progressive. Whether she would have been any more effective than the conservative Obama is debatable. She's probably the one person the tea party hates more than Obama. OTOH, she has a lot of experience working with a hostile Congress, especially if you consider her a partner in her husband's administration.

I imagine we're going to be discussing this ad nauseum in a couple of years.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Boehner whines that Obama won't help him delay Obamacare
He should work with us to delay his health care law for everyone...
:doh:

Some days I almost feel bad for OrangeMan.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Oh yeah, Boehner must have the most frustrating job in politics, as the next couple of weeks will make abundantly clear. The R Party is tearing itself apart.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Kraken wrote:Oh yeah, Boehner must have the most frustrating job in politics, as the next couple of weeks will make abundantly clear. The R Party is tearing itself apart.
Not to worry, if they don't get together and refuse to fund Obamacare he won't have a job much longer.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rip wrote:
Kraken wrote:Oh yeah, Boehner must have the most frustrating job in politics, as the next couple of weeks will make abundantly clear. The R Party is tearing itself apart.
Not to worry, if they don't get together and refuse to fund Obamacare he won't have a job much longer.
And if they shut down the govt he might not, either. Rock, meet hard place. On the plus side, what a shitty job.
Rip

Post by Rip »

The court said all judgments against DeLay were reversed, and the former congressman was formally acquitted.
http://www.kvue.com/news/state/224406971.html

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm glad Ben didn't make his "free money will continue to flow to the banks and up to top investors because the economy is crap even if the Federal government insists it's not" spiel on a payroll day. My 401k which doesn't seem to ever move one way or the other in the last two years increased almost 5% on his announcement. It then lost almost all of its jump the next day.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday that Israel’s alleged nuclear weapons stockpile only serves to make the Jewish state “a target” and creates “foreign policy problems.”

Putin’s comments, reported by AFP, came in response to questions from reporters on the US and Russia-brokered deal to put Syria’s chemical weapons arsenal under international supervision.
http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Putin- ... get-326567

OK, now I am pretty sure he just thinks everyone in the world but him is stupid.

Because you know, everybody loved Israel when they were sure they didn't have nucs.

For a minute I thought this was an onion like article.

:liar:
stessier

Post by stessier »

He was right, he just didn't take it far enough. Everyone who has nukes is a target and create foreign policy problems.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rip

Post by Rip »

stessier wrote:He was right, he just didn't take it far enough. Everyone who has nukes is a target and create foreign policy problems.
He should prove it by tossing all the Russian nuclear weapons in the sea.

Words are hollow when your actions show they are just hot air.
stessier

Post by stessier »

You think he minds being a target or causing foreign policy problems? :lol:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

How much "insider trading" or whatever the proper collusion word is do you suppose happens around QE or fiscal cliff announcements? It really feels like the the Federal Government (and its quasi governments affiliates) and WallStreet are becoming the biggest rigged gambling racket in the world.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LordMortis wrote:How much "insider trading" or whatever the proper collusion word is do you suppose happens around QE or fiscal cliff announcements? It really feels like the the Federal Government (and its quasi governments affiliates) and WallStreet are becoming the biggest rigged gambling racket in the world.
Lots. Insider trading is not illegal for congressmen.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Received in my Inbox today...

Oh Michelle...

You know, I was hoping we wouldn't have to have this conversation. I mean sure, you're a great person and all and we had some fun times but I just don't see how this relationship has a future. We started with such high hopes - and we'll always have 2008 - but so much has changed. Drone strikes. Demolishing any semblance of personal privacy. And that whole Libya thing - WTF was that?

But really, it's not you. It's me.

(but mostly your husband)
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Kraken wrote:Hillary probably would have governed as a genuine progressive...
Funny you would post that because I came to exactly the opposite conclusion in 2008. After her husband moved the party to the right I figured we'd get a similar governing philosophy from Hillary. And after she fell behind and started running a very nasty campaign, I lost all interest in her candidacy.

While I will vote for her if she is the Democratic candidate in 2016, I feel fairly certain that her administration, with the possible exception of an issue or two, will be at least as conservative as Obama's. After all, you're talking about someone who voted for Barry Goldwater! :P
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Apollo wrote:
Kraken wrote:Hillary probably would have governed as a genuine progressive...
Funny you would post that because I came to exactly the opposite conclusion in 2008. After her husband moved the party to the right I figured we'd get a similar governing philosophy from Hillary. And after she fell behind and started running a very nasty campaign, I lost all interest in her candidacy.

While I will vote for her if she is the Democratic candidate in 2016, I feel fairly certain that her administration, with the possible exception of an issue or two, will be at least as conservative as Obama's. After all, you're talking about someone who voted for Barry Goldwater! :P
You're also talking about somebody at the end of her career who will want to make a mark beyond just being the first female president. She's more principled than her husband, she'll be coming into a highly polarized political environment (probably with the R Party still self-destructing), and she has some scores to settle -- remember the "vast right-wing conspiracy"? Being near the end of your life is liberating. I don't see her being a compromiser or appeaser, but rather a take-no-prisoners Iron Lady.

I'm setting myself up for disappointment again, aren't I? :confusion-seeingstars:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hillary would have made similar compromises and been hated by conservatives too.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zarathud wrote:Hillary would have made similar compromises and been hated by conservatives too.
If she had won in 2008 instead of Obama, you're probably right. But if she wins in 2016 she'll have Obama's presidency as a cautionary tale.

A lot depends on the state of the R Party in the next election cycle -- whether the leadership can regain control or if the inmates are still running the asylum. If it's the latter, there is nobody to negotiate or compromise with, only obstruction to be overcome. I'm sure Hillary is learning from Barry's example.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

After electing a President that was in his late 40s, I'm not sure if society is going to move back towards electing someone close to 70 - regardless of gender or previous experience. Call it a hunch.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Certainly not after finding out how lucrative the last 5 presidential swimsuit calendars have been.
He won. Period.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Smoove_B wrote:After electing a President that was in his late 40s, I'm not sure if society is going to move back towards electing someone close to 70 - regardless of gender or previous experience. Call it a hunch.
We can hope. And call me crazy, but I'm pretty happy having new folks in the office rather than recycling families.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

noxiousdog wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:After electing a President that was in his late 40s, I'm not sure if society is going to move back towards electing someone close to 70 - regardless of gender or previous experience. Call it a hunch.
We can hope. And call me crazy, but I'm pretty happy having new folks in the office rather than recycling families.
ditto. I'm a little tired of dynasties.
He won. Period.