Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: Political Randomness

Post by YellowKing »

I've shut my mom down in the past on matters of "homosexuality is a sin" stuff by asking her when God made her his law enforcement officer.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Heavy stuff, though.

A handwritten lawsuit carries the full power of a Kriminal Sopina.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A tweet by Mitt Romney this morning led to the discovery that Nick Searcy (Art Mullen on Justified) is apparently a huge Trumper.

That’s disappointing.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always say God made homosexuals too so are you now judging God?

Ive actually met people who hate gays and say that they chose that lifestyle. I then ask at what age they chose to be straight. And were they homosexual before choosing to change.

They dont seem to grasp people are who they are at birth. I dont think they want to. It would hurt their argument and change them hating on gays to hating on God. When in fact either way its none of their damn business. Mind you own and shut up stupid is what I want to say to those folks.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:14 pm Our disagreements are more fundamental now, and not subject to compromise. The sense that we're all Americans is just about gone; we no longer share the same reality.
Fundamental as in lizard brain yes. The trouble is they have literally no idea what they are arguing about. And the sociopaths have poured junk data into their brains to make them think they understand the issues. I don't know what the future holds but we are going to face a turbulent time until 'we' figure out how to deal with this social media plague.
I'll readily admit that I disdain trumpsters as much as they hate me, and I think those who believe that we can put aside our differences and come together for a common good are delusional. If we couldn't unite against the coronavirus, IDK what could ever bring us together. If the Russians invaded tomorrow, each side would accuse the other of being in cahoots.
Yup. If they weren't our literal neighbors we'd have had some sort of split or be fighting. I don't know how we come back from this. I hear people talking about maybe we'd split regionally but doesn't address the problem. We had an existing pandemic of hate and economic inequality. Trump's election and the viral pandemic just finally tore off the blinders from many of the people who weren't ready to confront it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote:That's the funny thing: He isn't a Trumpster. He's an anti-establishment...ian. Liberals are apparently more establishment than conservatives for him, or perhaps it's just the consensus (Trump is bad) that he's rebelling against. I have no idea.

Also, he's a diagnosed schizophrenic. I'm wondering if he's off his meds.
I find it strange/horrifying when people value their politics over their family and friends.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:15 pm
Blackhawk wrote:That's the funny thing: He isn't a Trumpster. He's an anti-establishment...ian. Liberals are apparently more establishment than conservatives for him, or perhaps it's just the consensus (Trump is bad) that he's rebelling against. I have no idea.

I find it strange/horrifying when people value their politics over their family and friends.
I'm glad I have a diverse set of friends from all sides of the political spectrum.

But it is a real thing, especially these days, for people to choose who they want to be friends with or date using politics as the #1 deal breaker.
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh, gawd. Is Musk going *there*?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Is "red pill" here referring to anything specific? I mean I know the Matrix reference but is Musk talking about a specific conspiracy theory or red states or what? Or just in general?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Presumably he's referring to "red" as the GOP color, vs "blue" for the Democrats.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:15 pm Is "red pill" here referring to anything specific? I mean I know the Matrix reference but is Musk talking about a specific conspiracy theory or red states or what? Or just in general?
Online these days, it's typically a sign of being far right politically. Also used in men's rights/PUA/misogynistic circles.
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I’m terribly out of touch. What’s Elon’s political leaning.
I’d always assumed Dem/ liberal.

Also. I’m missing what he was even saying that about?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:54 pm I’m terribly out of touch. What’s Elon’s political leaning.
I’d always assumed Dem/ liberal.

Also. I’m missing what he was even saying that about?
Elon works for Elon. He is akin to Trump. A malignant narciscist. Albeit one who is wildly more successful but broken in dangerous ways. He will side with anyone who furthers his goals.
Holman

Post by Holman »

pr0ner wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:37 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:15 pm Is "red pill" here referring to anything specific? I mean I know the Matrix reference but is Musk talking about a specific conspiracy theory or red states or what? Or just in general?
Online these days, it's typically a sign of being far right politically. Also used in men's rights/PUA/misogynistic circles.
"Red Pill" in social-media terms means fully embracing the narrative of the far-right counter-culture, from male- to white-supremacy.

Musk absolutely knows this. The only possible exoneration here is that he was stoned out of his mind when he posted. (But that wouldn't excuse Ivanka, who also 100% knows the signification.)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:51 pm
"Red Pill" in social-media terms means fully embracing the narrative of the far-right counter-culture, from male- to white-supremacy.

Musk absolutely knows this. The only possible exoneration here is that he was stoned out of his mind when he posted. (But that wouldn't excuse Ivanka, who also 100% knows the signification.)
I consider myself fairly plugged into the political landscape, and that’s the first time I’ve ever heard this “red pill” significance. Makes me wonder how widespread that connection actually is, or whether it might actually just be a red vs blue thing.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:48 pm

I consider myself fairly plugged into the political landscape, and that’s the first time I’ve ever heard this “red pill” significance. Makes me wonder how widespread that connection actually is, or whether it might actually just be a red vs blue thing.
"Red Pill" is as strongly identified with the alt-right as Pepe the Frog.

But that's how these things work. If you know then you know, but if you don't know then the whole thing passes under your radar. Either way, the memesters win.

There's still the possibility that Musk is dumb enough not to understand the meme he endorsed, but that seems unlikely.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trump Jr got the message too. Musk has definitely shifted from moderate/liberal to hard right.

Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Wow

Then fuck him
Holman

Post by Holman »

The big news here is the Trump family endorsing "redpilling." Dedicated conspiracyphiles will take this as the ultimate endorsement and call to action.

Plus, even if Musk thinks he was merely flirting and playing around, the political consequences are serious. Is he not responsible for leveraging his personal myth towards fascism?

Asshole.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The only thing that Musk cares about is that the California Dem's won't let him reopen his factory, whereas Trump has his back.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:29 pm The big news here is the Trump family endorsing "redpilling." Dedicated conspiracyphiles will take this as the ultimate endorsement and call to action.

Plus, even if Musk thinks he was merely flirting and playing around, the political consequences are serious. Is he not responsible for leveraging his personal myth towards fascism?

Asshole.
+1 to all of this.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:10 pm Trump Jr got the message too. Musk has definitely shifted from moderate/liberal to hard right.

Wow, you guys were right. Glancing through that threat, the whole red pill thing certainly is...something.

Not sure how that missed me, but I’m glad I didn’t know about it before. Yikes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id laugh a lot if he ignored CA and opened his plant only to have CA kick him out.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:48 pm

News to me, too, but I've filtered most contact with red America out of my life.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was done with Elon Musk a long time ago. The WIRED article on him was damning. As mentioned, the guy is a narcissistic borderline psychopath.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Despite his eccentricities and character flaws, I still admire Musk's genius and drive. SpaceX alone is a momentous achievement and his brain is on a whole different level than mine. It's a shame he turned into an evil genius.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why is it crazy assholes get rich.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:35 pm Why is it crazy assholes get rich.
You seriously don't know any poor crazy assholes?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What is it about old people that turns them into Trump supporters?
Do they dislike minorities and feel they get too much preference?
Do they think he's going to make money for them?
Do they like his hair and family?
I'm olde too but I just don't see it.
I know here locally when Obama was president so many hated him because they thought he was going to infringe on their gun rights. Do they think all the democrats are like that so they have to vote for Trump?
<sigh>
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Because making money is easier when you're not constrained by ethics, compassion, or morality.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:15 pm

I'll admit, I have a really hard time right now. I never used to, but the new normal has made it really difficult to be friends with people who are so ideologically different. I'm trying really hard with a few people that mean the world to me, but it's painfully hard to hear justification of children in cages, young black men being gunned down on flimsy pretexts and emphatic repetition that the inadequacies of this administration are all lies that I've cut out a number of people that I used to call friends. I'm depressed enough right now that I just don't have the emotional resiliency to cope with it.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:49 pm
pr0ner wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:10 pm Trump Jr got the message too. Musk has definitely shifted from moderate/liberal to hard right.

Wow, you guys were right. Glancing through that threat, the whole red pill thing certainly is...something.

Not sure how that missed me, but I’m glad I didn’t know about it before. Yikes.
Especially if you were to go back to the roots. /r/theredpill is (was?) a subreddit that essentially started as a Pickup Artist (PUA) douchebag forum and morphed into a misogynist cult (aka Men's Rights) that webbed up with the 'number chan' crowd and is one of root branches of QAnon. Like Holman said it is another acknowledgement of right-wing 'underground' nationalist white hate. In this case, they are going after angry white mostly younger (mid-20s to early 30s) males. There is an entire social media driven sub-culture there with their own heroes. Jordan Peterson. Dana White. Alex Jones. Trump has been stoking the fires of underground hate for some time. The question is...is it really only to win an election?
Holman

Post by Holman »

If you're Elon Musk, you do it by being born rich. His family owned an Emerald mine in Africa.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:29 pm The big news here is the Trump family endorsing "redpilling." Dedicated conspiracyphiles will take this as the ultimate endorsement and call to action.

Asshole.
This is kind of what I suspected but didn't want to get it wrong. I guess he's wearing it on his sleeve now.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:32 am
If you're Elon Musk, you do it by being born rich. His family owned an Emerald mine in Africa.
There's nothing quite like owning an African gem mine to build firm moral character in a person.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:44 am

Asshole.
This is kind of what I suspected but didn't want to get it wrong. I guess he's wearing it on his sleeve now.
Musk has long seemed like Trump doppleganger to me, with the exception the Musk is actually the Entrepreneur Trump pretends to be. His twitter rants and suggestion that a public business is his toy, which he is free to play with however he pleases. I think "Funding secured" is when I started making the connections.

That said, maybe it'll get the Red State to start accepting Electric Vehicles.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It’s certainly cooled my jets on Tesla
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:25 pm What is it about old people that turns them into Trump supporters?
I know here locally when Obama was president so many hated him because they thought he was going to infringe on their gun rights. Do they think all the democrats are like that so they have to vote for Trump?
<sigh>
Huh funny i should see this as just a few minutes before I was thinking how its the generation ahead of me...the older gen....that are huge Trumpites. I dont know if it was the times they grew up in, their raising from the older ones to them, they are at the end of their life and dont give a shit, or they are senile. But I agree I see it in them.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:59 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:25 pm What is it about old people that turns them into Trump supporters?
<sigh>
Huh funny i should see this as just a few minutes before I was thinking how its the generation ahead of me...the older gen....that are huge Trumpites. I dont know if it was the times they grew up in, their raising from the older ones to them, they are at the end of their life and dont give a shit, or they are senile. But I agree I see it in them.
Turning conservative in old age is pretty common. Public life has changed from what it used to be, so it seems abnormal and wrong to you. Lifestyles and entertainment and even language all seem geared towards the young, leaving you feeling abandoned by your own culture. It's natural to want things to be the way they used to be.

But the Boomers are the first generation to be preyed upon by the hucksters of Fox News etc, which is specifically designed to take routine late-life conservatism and radicalize it into something much more politically toxic.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone else noticed more bad stuff in the USA and the world since Trump like worse / more hurricanes, tornadoes, deaths, jobs lost, locusts, earthquakes, fires, floods, famine, disease.....that kinda stuff? I mean are voters not taking the clues :)