Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GungHo

Re: Political Randomness

Post by GungHo »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:49 am
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:13 pm
Health care for many Americans is provided by private insurance plans paid through their employers. In an overhaul of the American health-care system, private insurance should

Be Eliminated
Continue to Exist
For me, I think a 21st Century Economy would be best served with a basic Medicare for All type coverage, and Employers/Insurers can offer supplemental Insurance.
That was where it began to lose me as well for the pretty much the same reason. I was working very hard to find the answer that best matched "Medicare for All type coverage, and Employers/Insurers can offer supplemental Insurance." and had to stretch for an answer. How is that not included? Then it just kept getting worse. The strongest take away I got was if this the mainstream liberalism then I'm still not very blue at all, not matter how much I won't vote GOP. My best hope is the donkeys don't earn my resentment. Which goes back to for all I disliked about Obama (and it was a lot), he has still been the best president in my lifetime.

Same for me. For all that.

Interesting article at the national review today:

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morn ... his-point/
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Personally, I've always wanted to suck venom from a wound. I wouldn't care if he lived or died. It's me time!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:38 pm Personally, I've always wanted to suck venom from a wound. I wouldn't care if he lived or died. It's me time!
1 Trump
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:14 pm
President Donald Trump on Thursday said he will not allow the Navy to take away an emblem signifying membership in the elite SEALs unit from an officer convicted of posing with an teen ISIS fighter's corpse.

"The Navy will NOT be taking away Warfighter and Navy Seal Eddie Gallagher’s Trident Pin. This case was handled very badly from the beginning," the tweet read. "Get back to business!"
"Get back to business." What a dumb fucking asshole.

(Though I do recognize that the whole pin issue moves the matter from "he should be in the brig" to "he shouldn't keep his pin")
Actual profiles in courage?

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Putin: "He pardoned a bunch of war criminals! Publicly! Let's start spreading the story of how the US military is out of control."

Aide: "Now all his colleagues and leaders want to kick this guy of the special forces...and Trump is saying he is going to stop it...wait...now the Secretary of the Navy is threatening to resign"

Putin: "Pinch me - this *useful idiot* keeps delivering"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Over the last couple weeks, my neighbor across the street has started posting a ton of Breitbart/Infowars-style conspiracy theory bullshit articles, memes, etc on FB. Including a ton of racist and overly jingoistic “if you don’t speak English and love literally everything about America, then LEAVE” and “Keep my tax dollars away from ‘illegals’” memes. It’s...odious.

We’ve never talked politics before, but I never took him for a tin foil hat wearing Trumper. Never been particularly close, but have always gotten along well in the 15+ years we’ve lived here.

Gotta admit, I’m really bummed to have him show those colors. The Trump support I can plug my nose and deal with. The racism and xenophobia, not so much. :?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:53 am Over the last couple weeks, my neighbor across the street has started posting a ton of Breitbart/Infowars-style conspiracy theory bullshit articles, memes, etc on FB. Including a ton of racist and overly jingoistic “if you don’t speak English and love literally everything about America, then LEAVE” and “Keep my tax dollars away from ‘illegals’” memes. It’s...odious.

We’ve never talked politics before, but I never took him for a tin foil hat wearing Trumper. Never been particularly close, but have always gotten along well in the 15+ years we’ve lived here.

Gotta admit, I’m really bummed to have him show those colors. The Trump support I can plug my nose and deal with. The racism and xenophobia, not so much. :?
I know racism has always been with us in white American culture, but I'm really not convinced that every Bush/McCain/Romney voter was a secret bigot just waiting for the chance to express their Deplorability.

I really think the MAGA movement has pushed people farther into racism. Open expression of hatred has become almost a badge of membership in online right-wing circles. After the tipping point where it becomes normal and expected, even heretofore non-racists might decide to dabble in it just to feel they belong.

It's fashionable to say Trump is just a symptom. I think he and his movement have been more like a catalyst.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Holman wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:52 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:14 pm
President Donald Trump on Thursday said he will not allow the Navy to take away an emblem signifying membership in the elite SEALs unit from an officer convicted of posing with an teen ISIS fighter's corpse.

"The Navy will NOT be taking away Warfighter and Navy Seal Eddie Gallagher’s Trident Pin. This case was handled very badly from the beginning," the tweet read. "Get back to business!"
"Get back to business." What a dumb fucking asshole.

(Though I do recognize that the whole pin issue moves the matter from "he should be in the brig" to "he shouldn't keep his pin")
Actual profiles in courage?

Plot twist!

Pentagon chief asks for Navy secretary’s resignation over private proposal in Navy SEAL’s case
Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper asked for the resignation of Navy Secretary Richard V. Spencer on Sunday after losing confidence in him over his handling of the case of a Navy SEAL accused of war crimes in Iraq, the Pentagon said.

Spencer’s resignation came in the wake of the controversial case of Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher, a Navy SEAL who was accused of war crimes on a 2017 deployment. He was acquitted of murder but convicted in July of posing with the corpse of a captive.

Esper asked for Spencer’s resignation after learning that he had privately proposed to White House officials that if they did not interfere with proceedings against Gallagher, then Spencer would ensure that Gallagher was able to retire as a Navy SEAL, with his Trident insignia.

Spencer’s private proposal to the White House — which he did not share with Esper over the course of several conversations about the matter — contradicted his public position on the Gallagher case, chief Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Secretary of the Navy has resigned.

I'm a bit confused about who stands where here. The above letter is vague, and it's not entirely clear than anyone is taking a strong stand against war crimes as opposed to a stance wrt to executive power.

I'd love to see someone with authority just state that murder is wrong and that US soldiers shouldn't exploit their power to execute civilians.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That isn't a resignation - he was fired. He acknowledged his termination and went out of his way to say he was fired because he wouldn't obey an unlawful order. It deserves to be investigated but it probably won't and moreover shouldn't be in the current calculus.

More weird stuff. The crazy thing is that there is already a story leaked by a 'US official' peddling a tale that Secretary Spencer was going to fix a disciplinary board to allow Gallagher to retire as a Seal. And Trump fired him because he had large 'cost overruns' and lied to him/Esper about this. Then Trump tweets out that Gallagher is going to be allowed to retire as a Seal (essentially with the results of the deal). That story *makes no sense*. I don't believe this 'US Official' story at all at this point. To me what happened is Trump came up with this corrupt plan, executed it, and then pinned it on Spencer. I expect Spencer to deny the accusations.

Holman

Post by Holman »

This shit just Godwins itself.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"War Criminals For Trump!" Such a catchy slogan. How veterans can continue to support him en masse truly baffles me.

It does get me thinking more about how we should probably revisit how Presidential pardon powers can be used. It just seems wrong that one person - no matter who it is - has the power to overturn the entire criminal justice system on a whim simply because he personally feels the law is wrong or doesn't apply. Especially when that someone has very little (if any) understanding of why the person was convicted in the first place.

This isn't limited just to Trump, mind you. The whole "President waves his hand and makes everything go away" has bothered me for a long time. I get why it's there, but there should probably be some limits placed on it. Doubly so, given our current CiC.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What happened to CNN? Years and years ago I liked CNN because it was world news all the time. Thats why I tuned in. These days its impeachment 24/7 and before that it was all political crap 24/7. Why dont they actually do news any longer? Theres no where to see world news when i want to see it unless I record the 6:30 stuff on the normal 3 stations.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Here, at least, there are two different CNN channels: CNN focuses on domestic US news and CNN International carries world news.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:44 am What happened to CNN? Years and years ago I liked CNN because it was world news all the time. Thats why I tuned in. These days its impeachment 24/7 and before that it was all political crap 24/7. Why dont they actually do news any longer? Theres no where to see world news when i want to see it unless I record the 6:30 stuff on the normal 3 stations.
They decided that no one in the US really cared enough about world news. CNN International is better, you can watch it on their website.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:28 pm
Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:07 pm Pro-tip: If you don't have a clue how Twitter works, you might want to stay off Twitter.
The Hill
A high school teacher from Texas who captured headlines earlier this year after she used her Twitter account to ask President Trump to “remove the illegals” from her school has officially been fired.

According to Fox 4 News Dallas-Fort Worth, the Independent School District board in Fort Worth formally fired Georgia Clark on Tuesday by voting unanimously to uphold its decision from earlier this year to terminate her.

However, Clark is reportedly able to appeal the decision to the Texas Education Agency if she so chooses.
NBC News
A Texas teacher who was fired after asking President Donald Trump to remove undocumented students from her school, in a series of public tweets that she thought were private messages to Trump, has won an appeal to keep her job.

Texas Education Agency Commissioner Mike Morath ruled Monday that Georgia Clark should be reinstated with back pay and employment benefits or a year's salary from the Fort Worth Independent School District.

The firing of Clark was not justified or supported by evidence and should not be upheld, independent examiner Robert Prather wrote in his decision released Monday, according to NBC Dallas-Fort Worth.

The tweets by Clark, who taught English at Amon Carter-Riverside High School, were protected by free speech and did not violate district policies, Prather wrote. The state education agency then moved to overturn the decision of the local school district.
District spokeswoman Barbara Griffith said Tuesday it will appeal the ruling to reinstate Clark and that the commissioner's decision "was not based on the merits of the case but rather a procedural technicality with which the district does not agree."
Clark has been investigated in the past. She was suspended in 2013 after she allegedly referred to a group of students as "Little Mexico" and one student as "white bread," according to district records obtained by NBC Dallas-Fort Worth.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

that depresses me... She is garbage and shouldn't be in a position to guide children at all.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

District spokeswoman Barbara Griffith said Tuesday it will appeal the ruling to reinstate Clark and that the commissioner's decision "was not based on the merits of the case but rather a procedural technicality with which the district does not agree."
Nothing like being reinstated to teach children because of a "procedural technicality". I hope parents in that district have the ability and willpower to explore other options for their kids.

Silver lining: the court of public opinion's ruling still stands; she's a garbage person.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:24 pm that depresses me... She is garbage and shouldn't be in a position to guide children at all.
Does the district have a rubber room?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:30 pm
Nothing like being reinstated to teach children because of a "procedural technicality". I hope parents in that district have the ability and willpower to explore other options for their kids.

Silver lining: the court of public opinion's ruling still stands; she's a garbage person.
If a teacher in our school district was exposed of this behavior - I dare say our community would SLAM the school if they kept her as a teacher....

How would a school district deal with that.... I guess maybe I am asking this: Can a school district fire a teacher if the community it serves are vocally against the teacher? On one level, I would think: Of Course... and then it strikes me that... probably not???
Last edited by Unagi on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:35 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:24 pm that depresses me... She is garbage and shouldn't be in a position to guide children at all.
Does the district have a rubber room?
I have an autistic son that was placed in solitary 'padded' rooms - and for a moment I thought you were talking about that...

this stuff sucks.

and is now illegal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rooms.html

(not that this is at all what you were even talking about, clearly...)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LOL.

Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:30 pm

The district is trying to get rid of her, though. I hope the parents have the option to opt of her classroom. Let the biggots congregate in their Trump loving pride. At least it keeps them exposed while the district struggles to do what's right. (Note: this is from a position of OUTRAGE ignorance. I know only what is presented here WRT the ongoing story)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:45 pm LOL.

I still don't trust them, but a step in the right direction.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

One of the turkeys Trump pardoned reneged on the offer and is going to testify. Or so I read.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:35 pm
pr0ner wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:45 pm LOL.

I still don't trust them, but a step in the right direction.
That dude will be back at Chick-fil-A in a week, tops.

Also:

"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

"Student senators"? That's a new conceit.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Thread about the fishy $2.5M that UNCCH was forced to pay the Sons of Confederate Veterans over Silent Sam.

Note that the lawsuit was filed, and settled, THE SAME DAY.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GQ
On Tuesday, he spoke at the Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service in Policing, and in his speech he addressed what he considers a lack of enthusiasm and respect for police officers:

"I think today, the American people have to focus on something else, which is the sacrifice and the service that is given by our law enforcement officers. They have to start showing, more than they do, the respect and support that law enforcement deserves. And if communities don’t give that support and respect, they might find themselves without the police protection they need."
This isn't the first time Barr has made comments suggesting that police authority should not be second-guessed. In an August speech to the Fraternal Order of Police, Barr said there should be "zero tolerance for resisting police" and added that district attorneys pushing for criminal justice reform and greater police accountability are "demoralizing to law enforcement and dangerous to public safety."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

It would be a shame for terrible things to happen to your community unless you shut up and accept our abuses.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Howard Stern, of all people, scored an interview with Hillary Clinton. I have a sneaking suspicion she's gearing up for something in light of this. However, the interview was actually quite good and went a long way to humanizing her. I'm not a fan of the Clintons, to be honest. But some of the things she said/admitted made me like her a little bit.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:14 am Howard Stern, of all people, scored an interview with Hillary Clinton. I have a sneaking suspicion she's gearing up for something in light of this. However, the interview was actually quite good and went a long way to humanizing her. I'm not a fan of the Clintons, to be honest. But some of the things she said/admitted made me like her a little bit.
She's a grifter like the rest of them. About the best thing I can say about her is that she would have been a better President than Trump.

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:21 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:14 am Howard Stern, of all people, scored an interview with Hillary Clinton. I have a sneaking suspicion she's gearing up for something in light of this. However, the interview was actually quite good and went a long way to humanizing her. I'm not a fan of the Clintons, to be honest. But some of the things she said/admitted made me like her a little bit.
She's a grifter like the rest of them. About the best thing I can say about her is that she would have been a better President than Trump.
Well, she wouldn't have been an international laughingstock or cozied up to our enemies, at least. Thanks to Hillary hatred, the GOP almost certainly would've retained the House and enlarged their Senate majority, so she would have accomplished bupkis domestically (which is still better than the backsliding we've seen in the past three years).
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:34 pm
Well, she wouldn't have been an international laughingstock or cozied up to our enemies, at least. Thanks to Hillary hatred, the GOP almost certainly would've retained the House and enlarged their Senate majority, so she would have accomplished bupkis domestically (which is still better than the backsliding we've seen in the past three years).
I think she would have been in much the same position as Obama was and he managed to get things done. She would have too. The difference is she would have faced impeachment inquiries multiple times in a year.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

On top the stuff Obama "got done" Trump immediately went to undoing adding an element to our policy instability. If she was elected, domestic policy wouldn't be a total mess.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Years ago, the city of Dallas passed one of those laws that makes it illegal to give food to the homeless unless you get approval and jump through a crapton of expensive hoops. One religious organization took them to court in a case that drew out for six years, but won, as long as it's a religious organization.

So, being in Texas, we escalate to aggravated feeding the homeless.
Feed The Need 2019 – Using the 2nd Amendment to Feed the Homeless
Join us December 7th, 2019 in Dallas, TX for the seventh annual event to warm the backs and the bellies of the homeless in Dallas. Bring food, winter clothes and blankets.
Don’t forget to bring food. This will be similar to a pot luck dinner. Everyone is encouraged to bring a dish.

And yes, this is, as always, an Open Carry event.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Need to fire everyone in charge in the country and start over.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:06 pm Need to fire everyone in charge in the country and start over.
Getting bad people into office is easy.

Getting good people into office is fucking hard work.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

This is a ridiculous statement, unless this is generic "all politicians are the same" political nihilism. Well, I suppose it's still ridiculous then, but standard as far as it goes.
Black Lives Matter.