Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Holman »

Defiant wrote:
Enough wrote:I just realized that I sometimes get confused with malchior and Moliere, am I the only one? :oops:
Well, I get you and Exodor confused sometimes.

Hell, sometimes I even get confused between me and Default. I'm like... "I don't remember writing that."
I only get confused when people change their avatars.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Political Randomness

Post by Zarathud »

University Presidents and Chancellors have to not only satisfy academic constituencies but also fundraise with major donors. When you are capable of regularly convincing wealthy alumni to part with $1 million+ gifts, those salaries become much easier to justify.

Those business meetings and fundraising expenses turn into lucrative planned gifts with the right leadership.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

There are plenty of arguments to have about university governance and organization, but there's no denying that universities are huge enterprises.

Of the twenty largest employers in the Philadelphia region (not just the city), eight are universities or health systems affiliated with universities, and you get to number 9 on the list before you even reach a business corporation (US Airways).

The University of Pennsylvania is number 3, right after federal and state government.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote:
Defiant wrote:
Enough wrote:I just realized that I sometimes get confused with malchior and Moliere, am I the only one? :oops:

Hell, sometimes I even get confused between me and Default. I'm like... "I don't remember writing that."
I always confuse Daehawk and Naednek. Mostly the same letters, some in the same place, same length.
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I always confuse ElGuapo and ElGuapoDC. There was another similar one.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote:I always confuse ElGuapo and ElGuapoDC. There was another similar one.
Oh...I took care of that. :ninja:
Black Lives Matter.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Moliere wrote:One person spent $350 per night on hotel rooms, which is above the allowable standard for other state agencies.
As someone who has to get hotel rooms in San Francisco to work with UCSF, if there is a conference going on in town it's hard to find a room for only $350 a night.
Last edited by gbasden on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gbasden wrote:
Moliere wrote:One person spent $350 per night on hotel rooms, which is above the allowable standard for other state agencies.
As someone who has to get hotel rooms in San Francisco to work with UCSF, if there is a conference going on in town it's hard to find a room for only $350 a night.[/quote]

That made me look up apartment prices for fun. Heard SF was stupid high on everything but goodness. Here a 1 bedroom apt is like $400 a month...SF the same sorta one is $2500 - $6000 a month.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

For $2000/month in SF, you're sleeping in someone's closet.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Holman wrote:For $2000/month in SF, you're sleeping in someone's closet.
I lived there a decade ago in a REALLY nice place for $350/month. Everyone that saw my place thought I had to be lying because it was so nice they figured it had to be in the stupid high range.
Spoiler:
I got that deal because it was an empty bedroom in my sister's apartment that the landlord let me rent for cheap because she had been such a reliable renter and had sent multiple people his way for other properties. Same room a month after both my sister and I left was over a grand a month!
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Following President Trump’s executive order in January, the Department of Homeland Security rolled out a new office to help protect the victims of crime from illegal immigrants on Wednesday. In the latest of Trump’s methods to continue to crackdown on illegal immigration in the U.S., the White House also launched a new hotline in which victims or witnesses could easily report criminal incidents. But organized online under the #AlienDay hashtag, immigrants’ rights activists claimed to have quickly overwhelmed Trump’s hotline with complaints of crimes committed by space aliens.
link
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Such a completely broken, useless, and racist system. With no way for average citizens to tell if someone is "legal" or not, it becomes a hotline to tattle on anyone with skin a different color from your own. I'm glad they're bringing it down with protests like that.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sometimes I really really love teh interwebs:
The White House launched a new hotline on Wednesday for people to report crimes committed by “criminal aliens,” but some of the callers instead are using the line to report cases of extraterrestrial contact and UFO sightings.
O k twitter, new item for your task list

Call 1-855-48-VOICE RIGHT. NOW. Report any at-large muggle-borns you see. Now.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

With that number, it would be totally understandable if people mistook it as the number to call if they want to vote for their favorite singer on The Voice. :coffee:

More seriously, are people putting themselves in legal jeopardy by pranking the ICE?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Enough

Post by Enough »

Max Peck wrote:With that number, it would be totally understandable if people mistook it as the number to call if they want to vote for their favorite singer on The Voice. :coffee:

More seriously, are people putting themselves in legal jeopardy by pranking the ICE?
If you are thinking of migrating here, I would not recommend it. :D
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enough wrote:
Max Peck wrote:With that number, it would be totally understandable if people mistook it as the number to call if they want to vote for their favorite singer on The Voice. :coffee:

If you are thinking of migrating here, I would not recommend it. :D
Fortunately, I had no interest in migrating to the US before the Trumpification, let alone now. :P

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote:
Defiant wrote:

I keep thinking Hobbes whenever I see yours.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Alefroth wrote:
Holman wrote:
Defiant wrote:

I keep thinking Hobbes whenever I see yours.
Oh thank god I'm not alone.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

A rather sizable May Day (I assume) march just went by my building. I don't recall a May Day march of this size in the past, but I might just be misremembering. If it is considerably bigger than usual, it seems like the anti-Trump protests may have engendered a bigger appetite for protesting in general.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

ImLawBoy wrote:A rather sizable May Day (I assume) march just went by my building. I don't recall a May Day march of this size in the past, but I might just be misremembering. If it is considerably bigger than usual, it seems like the anti-Trump protests may have engendered a bigger appetite for protesting in general.
I know people up and down the East Coast who have been to D.C. for marches three times already in 2017. (I guess that Soros check is too good to pass up?) There are small-scale protests in many cities every weekend. It's a regular thing now.

There seems to be organizing going on for a big TrumpRussia march in June demanding (depending on developments) more serious investigation/answers/impeachment.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I find this one intriguing because it's not specifically an anti-Trump march (although I'm sure there is general anti-Trump sentiment). This one is a May Day march, which would happen regardless of who is in office. I think it's just likely much bigger than in years past because of Trump.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Definitely.

Of course you can't really compare numbers because President Stein's May Day marches would be compulsory.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's the Union march. Among those pesky anti-business regulations are the labor laws.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Enlarge Image
Rip

Post by Rip »

Ummm, tax dollars are already being spent to protect Bill Clinton.

So many holes in that little diatribe it numbs the mind.

But the funniest thing is even if every word were reality the Democrats would be pissing all over themselves defending her. So in the end all it does is opine what we already know to be true that both sides would do exactly what the other is were the roles reversed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trust me, you should just let this one go by, Rip. It won't end well for you. :wink:
He won. Period.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rip wrote:Ummm, tax dollars are already being spent to protect Bill Clinton.

So many holes in that little diatribe it numbs the mind.

But the funniest thing is even if every word were reality the Democrats would be pissing all over themselves defending her. So in the end all it does is opine what we already know to be true that both sides would do exactly what the other is were the roles reversed.
Tax dollars are already being spent protecting Bill Clinton because he was President not because he is the trophy husband who refuses to live in the same building as his significant other.

As for the rest of your comments, no. Just simply No. They would not.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Holman wrote: I know people up and down the East Coast who have been to D.C. for marches three times already in 2017. (I guess that Soros check is too good to pass up?)
I've been to two this year and haven't gotten paid. Do you know where I'm supposed to send my billable hours?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:
But the funniest thing is even if every word were reality the Democrats would be pissing all over themselves defending her.
This was my favorite part. :lol:

Rip, your pants look a little...well...wet in front. :ninja:
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Rip wrote:Ummm, tax dollars are already being spent to protect Bill Clinton.
Completely irrelevant. The point is that if Hillary were president and Bill refused to stay at the White House, there would be extra security costs (like there are with Melania), and Republicans would be having a conniption about them.
Rip wrote:So many holes in that little diatribe it numbs the mind.
Perhaps you could actually find one then?
Rip wrote:But the funniest thing is even if every word were reality the Democrats would be pissing all over themselves defending her. So in the end all it does is opine what we already know to be true that both sides would do exactly what the other is were the roles reversed.
Should I assume you'll be the bigger man, then, and condemn Trump for this like you would if the situation were reversed?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Rip wrote:But the funniest thing is even if every word were reality the Democrats would be pissing all over themselves defending her. So in the end all it does is opine what we already know to be true that both sides would do exactly what the other is were the roles reversed.
Should I assume you'll be the bigger man, then, and condemn Trump for this like you would if the situation were reversed?
Only if you are yugely naive.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

South Korea’s likely next president warns foreign strongman not to meddle in its democracy
South Korea is on the brink of electing a liberal president with distinctly different ideas from the Trump administration on how to deal with North Korea — potentially complicating efforts to punish Kim Jong Un’s regime.

He’s also a candidate who fears that the U.S. government has been acting to box him in on a controversial American missile defense system and circumvent South Korea’s democratic process.

“I don’t believe the U.S. has the intention [to influence our election], but I do have some reservations,” Moon Jae-in told The Washington Post in an interview.

Barring a major upset, Moon will become South Korea’s president Tuesday, replacing Park Geun-hye, who was impeached in March and is now on trial for bribery. Because Park was dismissed from office, Moon will immediately become president if elected, without the usual transition period.

With Moon pledging to review the Park government’s decision to deploy the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) antimissile system, the U.S. military has acted swiftly to get it up and running. This has sparked widespread criticism here that the United States is trying to make it difficult, if not impossible, for Moon to reverse it.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Colbert tears Trump a new one on Late Show:
“Mr. President, I love your presidency. I call it ‘Disgrace the Nation,'” he began. “You’re not the POTUS; you’re the ‘BLOTUS.’ You’re the glutton with the button. You’re a regular ‘Gorge Washington.’ You’re the ‘presi-dunce’ but you’re turning into a real ‘prick-tator.'”

“Sir, you attract more skinheads than free Rogaine,” Colbert continued. “You have more people marching against you than cancer. You talk like a sign-language gorilla that got hit in the head.”

“In fact, the only thing your mouth is good for is being Vladimir Putin’s c*ck holster,” Colbert said, as the audience erupted in laughter and applause.

“Your presidential library is gonna be a kid’s menu and a couple of ‘Juggs’ magazines,” he concluded. “The only thing smaller than your hands are your tax returns … and you can take that any way you want.”
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote:Trump's proposed Secretary of the Army is a dangerous zealot:
Tennessee state Sen. Mark Green (R), President Donald Trump’s choice to be the next Army secretary, believes that part of his mission as a public official is to “crush evil” ― and that opposing transgender equality policies is key to that effort...

...my responsibility very clearly in Romans 13 is to create an environment where people who do right are rewarded and the people who do wrong are crushed. Evil is crushed.
And he could be out:
Mark Green, Trump's second pick to be Army secretary, is facing what the sources described as a difficult -- if not insurmountable -- path to confirmation amid a backlash over his controversial statements on LGBT issues, Islam and evolution.
The sources said that Green's withdrawal is not finalized, but it's unlikely he would go forward because "there are questions whether he has enough support from either side of the aisle" to get confirmed, according to one source.
Couldn't happen to a bigger POS. :wub:

Rip

Post by Rip »

:clap:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm glad you approve of the last administration's hard work all paying off with improved customer confidence.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I can't find the article, but it tracked the difference between what people said they felt about the economy and what they were doing financially. Actions indicated much less optimism than surveys. Partisanship doesn't play as much of a role in the decision to buy a new car, etc.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Link to article I got the graph from.