Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Skinypupy »

Freyland wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:12 am IPF isn't a type of cancer. Fake news!!
I'm sure your comment was a joke, but sadly, that sounds all to close to language from the rabid pro-gun crowd. "The news report called that CM901 an AR15*, so it's obviously fake news and everyone involved is a crisis actor."

*I have no idea what either of those are (nor do I care), they just happened to be the first two search results
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 pm
Freyland wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:12 am IPF isn't a type of cancer. Fake news!!
I'm sure your comment was a joke, but sadly, that sounds all to close to language from the rabid pro-gun crowd. "The news report called that CM901 an AR15*, so it's obviously fake news and everyone involved is a crisis actor."

*I have no idea what either of those are (nor do I care), they just happened to be the first two search results
Please insert "That's the joke" meme here.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'd like to care about stuff from 1/2 a decade ago, but the president of the united states was just ostracized 2 days ago at the G7 summit, left early and then proclaimed it was a great success. His "security" head followed up with the idea that Drumpf is stigginit economically to the entire first world.

But I'm sure your stuff is important too. There's plenty of room for all this news.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:05 am I'd like to care about stuff from 1/2 a decade ago, but the president of the united states was just ostracized 2 days ago at the G7 summit, left early and then proclaimed it was a great success. His "security" head followed up with the idea that Drumpf is stigginit economically to the entire first world.

But I'm sure your stuff is important too. There's plenty of room for all this news.
Huh? Ali Watkins has been getting info by sleeping with her source of unauthorized leaks during this term. Quite the #meetoo moment. Maybe she should have gotten on her knees for Trump as well to save you guys from him?
On previous occasions, I’ve written about the blunt way legendary New York Times editor Abe Rosenthal dealt with a conflict of interest. The story bears repeating after the indictment of a top Senate official over his contacts with reporters, including one from the Times with whom he had a romantic relationship.

The Rosenthal standard on conflicts was shaped by a remarkably similar case decades ago. Soon after a woman who had covered politics in Philadelphia was hired by the Times, a story from Philly said she had a secret affair with a politician she covered and accepted expensive gifts from him.

Rosenthal asked the woman if the story was true and, when she replied yes, immediately told her to clean out her desk and said she would never again work for the paper.

Word of the incident spread quickly through the newsroom, and several female reporters complained to Rosenthal. They argued that the woman was treated unfairlyand, at which point, Abe raised his finger for silence and said something to this effect: “I don’t care if you f–k an elephant on your personal time, but then you can’t cover the circus for the paper.

The meeting was over, case closed.
https://nypost.com/2018/06/09/new-york- ... ournalism/
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Who’s defending Ali Watkins? :?

And why does her actions merit a swipe at the #metoo movement?
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

You have to remember that, in a week where Trump has done everything he can to boost Putin and trash the Western alliance, demonstrating his ignorance and unsuitability in new ways every day, the Ali Watkins story is the #1 story being covered in conservative media.
Last edited by Holman on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, the #lookoverthere movement.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:16 am Who’s defending Ali Watkins? :?

And why does her actions merit a swipe at the #metoo movement?
Because it damages the agenda of people trying to stop women from being manipulated to sleep with men for positions when women choose to do it without being manipulated.

It is wrong to use sex to advance your career(unless it is your career) whether you are manipulated to do it or you choose to.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That’s not the message you were trying to convey. And you know it.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He posted a drive-by tweet from 2013 and expected others to figure out what his point was so he could have fun tell them how wrong they were. There are some people I will work hard to understand their point and/or help convey it to others. Guess if Rip is one of them or not?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:50 am You have to remember that, in a week where Trump has done everything he can to boost Putin and trash the Western alliance, demonstrating his ignorance and unsuitability in new ways every day, the Ali Watkins story is the #1 story being covered in conservative media.
:clap:

Does that mean that Hillary is finally losing her boogeyman status? After over a year and a half of irrelevancy?

I wish.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Einstein's travel diaries reveal 'shocking' xenophobia

Written between October 1922 and March 1923, the diaries see the scientist musing on his travels, science, philosophy and art. In China, the man who famously once described racism as “a disease of white people” describes the “industrious, filthy, obtuse people” he observes. He notes how the “Chinese don’t sit on benches while eating but squat like Europeans do when they relieve themselves out in the leafy woods. All this occurs quietly and demurely. Even the children are spiritless and look obtuse.” After earlier writing of the “abundance of offspring” and the “fecundity” of the Chinese, he goes on to say: “It would be a pity if these Chinese supplant all other races. For the likes of us the mere thought is unspeakably dreary.”

Ze’ev Rosenkranz, senior editor and assistant director of the Einstein Papers Project at the California Institute of Technology, said: “I think a lot of comments strike us as pretty unpleasant – what he says about the Chinese in particular.

“They’re kind of in contrast to the public image of the great humanitarian icon. I think it’s quite a shock to read those and contrast them with his more public statements. They’re more off guard, he didn’t intend them for publication.”
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not really political but the 14 year old actress from Stranger Things has had to delete her Twitter because of internet trolls and haters.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/14/ ... obic-memes
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

There is a report that most of the Washington Capitals would attend the White House if invited. I'm pretty sure there is a Russian joke in there somewhere...
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

stessier wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:20 am There is a report that most of the Washington Capitals would attend the White House if invited. I'm pretty sure there is a Russian joke in there somewhere...
I laid an egg with my (anti-intellectual, conservative) father when I said that the Caps win meant two more satisfied Russians in D.C.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Heh, Trump is a man of the world when it comes to opening the Whites house. NBA, NFL, predominantly US players, but the Caps recognize how American is citizen of the world and how much, for instance we value our Canadian allies.

You libetards can take your nationalist rhetoric and stuff it.

27 player roster 6 from the USA. 8 from CAN. How's that for loyalty to Canada? Only 3 from RUS. Good people. Not one Mexican even bothered to try.

Fake News!

Forwards

# Pos Sh Ht Wt Born Birthplace
19 C L 6' 1" 210 Nov 23, 1987 Gävle, SWE
83 C R 6' 3" 218 Oct 16, 1985 Calgary, AB, CAN
72 C L 5' 11" 185 Sep 14, 1993 Hopkins, MN, USA
65 LW L 6' 3" 201 Feb 9, 1995 Klagenfurt, AUT
39 RW R 6' 4" 208 Oct 1, 1990 Montreal, QC, CAN
10 RW R 6' 3" 195 May 2, 1992 Campbell River, BC, CAN
20 C L 6' 2" 207 May 8, 1989 Rodovre, DNK
63 LW L 5' 11" 175 Jul 10, 1996 Chaska, MN, USA
92 C L 6' 2" 204 May 19, 1992 Chelyabinsk, RUS
77 RW R 5' 11" 195 Dec 23, 1986 Everett, WA, USA
8 LW R 6' 3" 235 Sep 17, 1985 Moscow, RUS
25 RW R 6' 0" 223 Jun 14, 1992 Scarborough, ON, CAN
18 C L 6' 0" 203 Apr 22, 1994 Saskatoon, SK, CAN
13 LW L 6' 0" 197 Feb 28, 1996 Prague, CZE
79 LW L 5' 9" 186 Feb 7, 1994 Cardiff, GBR
43 RW R 6' 4" 218 Mar 29, 1994 Toronto, ON, CAN
Defense

# Sh Ht Wt Born Birthplace
22 R 6' 2" 198 Apr 22, 1995 Winnipeg, MB, CAN
74 R 6' 3" 218 Jan 10, 1990 Natick, MA, USA
29 L 6' 0" 169 Aug 6, 1994 Gothenburg, SWE
28 L 5' 11" 200 May 12, 1991 Pilsen, CZE
6 L 6' 0" 194 Sep 8, 1990 Hodonin, CZE
2 R 6' 1" 203 Dec 6, 1986 Virginia, MN, USA
9 L 5' 11" 212 Jul 23, 1991 Novokuznetsk, RUS
44 L 6' 3" 217 Sep 26, 1980 San Francisco, CA, USA
Goalies

# Ht Wt Born Birthplace
1 6' 4" 200 Jan 18, 1992 North Pole, AK, USA
31 6' 1" 191 Nov 25, 1991 Rosenheim, DEU
70 6' 2" 211 Sep 16, 1989 Lloydminster, SK, CAN
Rip

Post by Rip »

Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Rip wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:38 am Rudy Giuliani revealed early Thursday t ... Louisiana.

https://pagesix.com/2018/06/14/rudy-giu ... louisiana/

Just wanted to say right up front, it isn't me......

:D
Three dates and "only friends"? Rudy's game is off. Also. Eww.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have just been informed that the deepstate is run by this group... Cabal was the word used and the president needs to dismantle the whole group (beginning with Christopher Wray)

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... e-service/
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

[PA] Governor Wolf Proposes Job Licensing Reform to Cut Red Tape, Strengthen Workforce
Eliminate 13 Job Licenses
The governor called on the General Assembly to repeal 13 job licenses and replace them with less restrictive requirements that protect the public for the following:

Auctioneers, only require registration and bonding.
Barbers, only require certification from a licensed barber school, passage of examination, minimum hours of training, and registration with the State Board of Barber Examiners.
Cemetery Broker/Cemetery Salesperson, only require passage of relevant examination, 60 hours of instruction and registration.
Campground Membership Salesperson, only require registration with the State Real Estate Commission.
Natural Hair Braiding License, eliminate this license.
Orthotic fitter/Orthotist/Pedorthist/Prosthetist, only require credentialing, passage of an education program, training, and minimum hours of training.
Practitioner of Oriental Medicine, maintain existing, but separate acupuncturist licensing requirement to protect public health and safety.
Rental Listing Referral Agent, only require registration with the State Real Estate Commission.
Vehicle Factory Representative, only require registration with the State Board of Vehicle Manufacturers, Dealers, and Salespersons.
Provide Second Chance Reform
To level the playing field compared to our regional states, the governor is calling for a repeal of the automatic 10-year ban on licensing for anyone convicted of a drug felony. Instead, the 13 boards with the statutory ban could consider criminal history, but it would not be conclusive of a person’s fitness for a job. Removing this barrier encourages people to work, which reduces crime and recidivism, making our communities safer.
:clap:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
stessier

Post by stessier »

I hope it passes and they take a look and see if there are any more they can cut/convert.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Only a quarter of U.S. adults in a recent survey could fully identify factual statements - as opposed to opinion - in news stories, the Pew Research Center found in a study released on Monday.
The study also found that when Americans call a statement “factual” they overwhelmingly also think it is accurate. They tend to disagree with factual statements they incorrectly label as opinions, Pew said.

The research showed Republicans and Democrats were also more likely to think news statements are factual when the statements appeal to their side, even if the statements were opinions.
link
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That just can't be true. I refuse to believe it.

That's just like, pew's opinion, man.
malchior

Post by malchior »

FFS - I guess we really are living the beginning of Idiocracy.
Rip

Post by Rip »

malchior

Post by malchior »

I was wondering when you'd post that - it was on Drudge all morning after all. Anyway let's dismiss it in proper fashion. The poll shows that roughly the same percentage of people that approves of Trump is satisfied with the direction of the country. OH THE SHOCK. It is a cult of personality after all. I also like the idea that 38% being satisfied with the direction of the country is something to be proud of.
Rip

Post by Rip »

malchior wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:05 pm
I was wondering when you'd post that - it was on Drudge all morning after all. Anyway let's dismiss it in proper fashion. The poll shows that roughly the same percentage of people that approves of Trump is satisfied with the direction of the country. OH THE SHOCK. It is a cult of personality after all. I also like the idea that 38% being satisfied with the direction of the country is something to be proud of.
The interesting thing to me is that is as high as it ever was during the Obama administration. Which BTW had long periods where it was in the teens, even below 10 at one point. How proud were you of the 7 it was at in 2009?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:03 am h/t Popehat... it turns out hosting a social media site that's a refuge for white nationalists, conspiracy theorists, and alt-right trolls is harder than it sounds.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/conspirac ... the-inside
The picture of the noose surrounded by swastikas was the last straw. “It’s coming for you, are you excited?” a user on Gab wrote to Utsav Sanduja. Sanduja said he was calling the cops.

But Sanduja’s promise to alert law enforcement only made his opponents angrier.

Sanduja is the chief operating officer of Gab, a social media site beloved by the alt-right, including a vocal contingent of Nazis. The company bills itself as a “free speech” alternative to Twitter and Facebook. But the site’s anything-goes ethos seems to have chafed against its leadership; in recent weeks, members of Gab’s executive team have publicly railed against the site’s users, accusing some of sabotage and “PSYOPS,” with Gab execs threatening to call law enforcement on those users—a cardinal sin among some of the site’s “free speech” die-hards.
As an interesting aside it sounds like Twitter may have to stop saying it is a free speech platform or lose some lawsuits.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

There don't seem to have been many laws enacted by Congress since Trump has been elected.
Is this unusual and is it true?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:22 pm As an interesting aside it sounds like Twitter may have to stop saying it is a free speech platform or lose some lawsuits.
On the plus side it might result in less WH press releases.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I keep mistaking Kasich for Kobach when this comes up:
The elections director for Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach told county clerks in a conference call Tuesday to continue enforcing a proof of citizenship law that a federal judge ruled unconstitutional.

Bryan Caskey told the clerks not to make any changes until they receive written instruction otherwise. Danedri Herbert, a spokeswoman for Kobach, said the office needs time to fully review the court’s 118-page ruling before understanding it completely.

U.S. District Judge Julie Robinson made clear in her Monday ruling the documentary proof of citizenship requirement can’t be enforced.

“Defendant’s well-documented history of avoiding this court’s orders, and providing confusing notices and information on the state’s websites in conjunction with this court’s rulings, warrant specific compliance measures,” Robinson wrote.

She ordered Kobach to “instruct all state and county elections officers ... that voter registration applicants need not provide DPOC in order to be registered to vote, and need not provide any additional information in order to complete their voter registration applications.”
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I bet that will go over well with the judge.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

I had no idea that this was allowed and becoming a thing. Yikes, this sucks really bad:
For more than a decade, the Atlanta area has been dividing into ever smaller pieces segregated by race and class as cities are carved out from unincorporated county land. But the law signed in May could take the balkanization one step further: It will allow the wealthiest residents of Stockbridge to vote to form their own town, taking with them the most important commercial corridors and about half of its tax revenue. The new city would also be able to leave Stockbridge’s $15.5 million of debt with the smaller, poorer remnant of the city. Residents of the rest of Stockbridge will have no say in the outcome of the November ballot proposal. And that doesn’t worry only them; it has investors and credit rating agencies up in arms, too.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Whitey is dying off faster than we thought.
The Census Bureau has projected that whites could drop below 50 percent of the population around 2045, a relatively slow-moving change that has been years in the making. But a new report this week found that whites are dying faster than they are being born now in 26 states, up from 17 just two years earlier, and demographers say that shift might come even sooner.
Demographics is destiny, but maybe not the destiny you think is inevitable.
What does it mean for the political map? Some experts say that rapid demographic change became a potent issue in the 2016 presidential race — and helped drive white voters to support Donald Trump.

Of the 26 states where deaths now exceed births for whites, 13 voted for Trump and 13 voted for Hillary Clinton. Four are states that flipped from President Barack Obama in 2012 to Trump in 2016 — Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Florida. But it is not clear how demographic change will affect politics in the future.

“People say demographics is destiny and there’ll be more people of color — all that is true,” said Jennifer Richeson, a social psychologist at Yale University. “But they also say the US is going to become more progressive and we don’t know that. We should not assume that white moderates and liberals will maintain current political allegiances, nor should we expect that the so-called nonwhite group is going to work in any kind of coalition.”

Despite demographic change, whites — and in particular less educated whites — will still make up the bulk of eligible voters in the country for a while. Whites without a bachelor’s degree will make up 44 percent of eligible voters in 2020, said Ruy Teixeira, a political scientist who did a broad study of demography and politics this spring. College-educated whites will be about 23 percent. Teixeira said Republicans could continue to win presidential elections and lose the popular vote through 2036 if they did even better among whites who had not graduated from college, while other voting patterns held steady.

That is giving politicians incentives to emphasize issues like immigration and race, where there are the biggest differences in views by education. A class divide has been growing for years among whites. In 1988, there was no difference between whites with a college degree and those without, Teixeira said. Both voted for George H.W. Bush over Michael Dukakis by a 20-point margin. By 2016, Clinton lost noncollege whites by 31 points, double Obama’s 2012 loss, while carrying college-educated whites by 7 points.

“This is a real sea change,” Teixeira said. “This is why Republicans have been able to weather these demographic changes, entirely on the backs of white noncollege voters.”
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Enough wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:44 pm I had no idea that this was allowed and becoming a thing. Yikes, this sucks really bad:
For more than a decade, the Atlanta area has been dividing into ever smaller pieces segregated by race and class as cities are carved out from unincorporated county land. But the law signed in May could take the balkanization one step further: It will allow the wealthiest residents of Stockbridge to vote to form their own town, taking with them the most important commercial corridors and about half of its tax revenue. The new city would also be able to leave Stockbridge’s $15.5 million of debt with the smaller, poorer remnant of the city. Residents of the rest of Stockbridge will have no say in the outcome of the November ballot proposal. And that doesn’t worry only them; it has investors and credit rating agencies up in arms, too.
What possible justification is there for not splitting the debt?

I mean hell, based on this standard couldn’t a “city” divide itself leaving behind some empty blocks and creating a brand new one that is debt free?

And it’s a dick move. I live in Montgomery County Maryland, there is already a distinct difference in the quality of the public schools, and some of the wealthy areas want to break away from the county school district. That would leave the county district with considerably less money while keeping the oldest and poorest performing schools.

There is no empathy or compassion.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Fitzy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:02 pm
Enough wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:44 pm I had no idea that this was allowed and becoming a thing. Yikes, this sucks really bad:
What possible justification is there for not splitting the debt?

I mean hell, based on this standard couldn’t a “city” divide itself leaving behind some empty blocks and creating a brand new one that is debt free?

And it’s a dick move. I live in Montgomery County Maryland, there is already a distinct difference in the quality of the public schools, and some of the wealthy areas want to break away from the county school district. That would leave the county district with considerably less money while keeping the oldest and poorest performing schools.

There is no empathy or compassion.
Well clearly, because the travesty of having to look at Waffle Houses is just too much to bear,
Her own neighborhood in the suburbs—a cluster of gated communities surrounding a country club—lacked the same exclusive feel along its main drag. “I want those things, those amenities,” Consiglio says. “I wanted to be part of a gated community in a high-end area. Instead, when I come out of the gate, I see a Waffle House and dollar stores.”
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Enough wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:09 pm Well clearly, because the travesty of having to look at Waffle Houses is just too much to bear,
Her own neighborhood in the suburbs—a cluster of gated communities surrounding a country club—lacked the same exclusive feel along its main drag. “I want those things, those amenities,” Consiglio says. “I wanted to be part of a gated community in a high-end area. Instead, when I come out of the gate, I see a Waffle House and dollar stores.”
Aww. The poor woman! Someone should take her to iHop.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

IHOb, because temporary branding stunts always increase a customer base.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/11/investi ... index.html