Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

Folks or y'all is acceptable.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:18 pm Folks or y'all is acceptable.
I've started to adopt yinz.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'd also say "you guys" but apparently that's a nono. I'm not sure I've ever treated "you guys" as anything other than gender neutral. That's another I'm probably too old to change term.

ON topic

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... ation.html

It's a long op ed detailing facts today regarding the US Holocaust Museum and responding to their establishing an official statement that rejects any analogies related to The Holocaust. Here's the opening paragraph
A federally funded museum is telling Americans not to think. On June 24, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum instructed the public not to consider the relationship between its subject, other historical events, and the present, implicitly reprimanding Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for calling American detention centers “concentration camps.” In doing so, it has made nonsense of the slogan “never again” and provided moral cover for ongoing and oppressive American policies.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote:Folks or y'all is acceptable.
I live in the south, but I am not from the south. It’s impossible for y’all to cross my lips unless I’m making fun of something. Folks.... just isn’t me. “Heya folks!”... I cant do it.

Yinz is a dangerous word for me. A gateway word. If I say yinz then my western PA accent will come back, and that could ruin my career.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

msteelers wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Isgrimnur wrote:Folks or y'all is acceptable.
I live in the south, but I am not from the south. It’s impossible for y’all to cross my lips unless I’m making fun of something. Folks.... just isn’t me. “Heya folks!”... I cant do it.

Yinz is a dangerous word for me. A gateway word. If I say yinz then my western PA accent will come back, and that could ruin my career.
Hey everybody or hi all works as well.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:49 pm I'd also say "you guys" but apparently that's a nono. I'm not sure I've ever treated "you guys" as anything other than gender neutral. That's another I'm probably too old to change term.
"Guys" is ok. Every stupid YouTube unboxing/review/whatever video starts with "Ok, guys..." or "Hey guys!" or some derivation. That makes it OK in general conversation.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I live in NC so "y'all" is considered the Queen's English.

The other day I found myself saying "all y'all" which is when I realized I'm a lost cause.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Malificent wrote:Hey everybody
Hi Dr. Nick!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:01 pm I live in NC so "y'all" is considered the Queen's English.

The other day I found myself saying "all y'all" which is when I realized I'm a lost cause.
All y'all is perfectly acceptable. It's the plural for y'all. It's meant to either emphasize every individual in group is included: "All y'all can kiss my ass" or it is meant to group groups of people together in to a single larger unit: "OK all y'all, listen up. Everyone mus be here on Tuesday at eight sharp."

I have no idea what yinz is. It sounds like holiday food I'd put a tiny bit of my plate, not trusting what it is.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

After spending the last decade working primarily with diversity and inclusion officers, I've become much more conscious about using "guys" as well. That one's a big no-no in the D&I community.

I always use "folks" or "everyone" now. I'll occasionally throw in a "y'all" as well, just for the lulz ("Wait...aren't you from Utah?"). :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:05 pmI have no idea what yinz is. It sounds like holiday food I'd put a tiny bit of my plate, not trusting what it is.
Yinz is the Y'all of the Pittsburgh area.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I call my kids "guys" all the time despite 33% of them being female.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
More than 3,100 people will leave Bureau of Prisons custody starting Friday, part of what Justice Department officials call "a truly monumental effort" to comply with the First Step Act, a criminal justice law passed by Congress last year.

Most of the offenders being freed have been convicted of drug-related crimes, and have been living in halfway houses across the United States in preparation for their release, acting BOP chief Hugh Hurwitz told reporters at a news conference in Washington.

Approximately 900 of the inmates are subject to detention by local authorities or immigration officials, and their fate now will be up to states or the Department of Homeland Security, he said.

The Justice Department announced that 250 more inmates who are elderly or terminally ill have transitioned into home confinement or compassionate release programs since President Trump signed the law last December.

Those programs existed in some form before the First Step Act, but advocates for prisoners and their families said they were used only sparingly and now are somewhat easier to access.
Authorities also unveiled a new risk assessment tool designed to identify prisoners who could benefit from prison programming that would allow them to win credits that count toward early release under the law.

Inmates will be reassessed every six months under that new program.
The Justice Department enlisted a think tank, the Hudson Institute, to assist with the assessment effort. But that decision has come under fire from key Democrats in Congress.

"The Hudson Institute and its leadership have opposed sentencing reform, opposed the First Step Act's reforms, and authored an article entitled 'Why Trump Should Oppose Criminal Justice Reform,'" as House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler and subcommittee chairwoman Karen Bass said earlier this year.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm a Southerner without almost no accent (long story) living in PA.

"Y'all" comes very naturally to me, but I can sometimes see that people wonder why I'm using it since I speak in a regionless American radio voice.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Y'inz is incorrect it is you'inz...well unless its the short form that all the rage.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've lived in the Mid-Atlantic for almost 20 years, but my soul still rebels every time I hear "youse guys."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:55 pm Y'inz is incorrect it is you'inz...well unless its the short form that all the rage.
Yinz is absolutely the most correct.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:44 pm I mostly just shrug at this stuff. I think it's entirely unnecessary and frankly rather silly, but it has no real effect on anyone's life so...meh.

Yes, it's annoying to hear the deplorables bray about it, but let's be honest, they're always going to complain about things that provide even the slightest impediment to them being giant assholes to everyone around them. It may as well be something like this that ultimately has no impact on anything.
Anyone ever read John Varley's Steel Beach?

IMHO, this crap will be a huge nothingburger in less than 50 years. I expect that our rate of technology will have gender swap surgery down by then and it could be as common as plastic surgery. I expect that in less than 100 years men will be able to carry and birth a baby as well. Halloween parties will never be the same!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:18 pm After spending the last decade working primarily with diversity and inclusion officers, I've become much more conscious about using "guys" as well. That one's a big no-no in the D&I community.

I always use "folks" or "everyone" now. I'll occasionally throw in a "y'all" as well, just for the lulz ("Wait...aren't you from Utah?"). :lol:
When I worked in HR, I actually quoted some off color lines from Blazing Saddles in front of people who could be offended by it (including my direct report). Fortunately they knew me well enough (and liked me) to know that it was just a quote, but over 10 years later I still feel sheepish about it...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:59 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:55 pm Y'inz is incorrect it is you'inz...well unless its the short form that all the rage.
Daehawk is right. It’s always been “you’inz” or “you’uns” to those of us who grew up in what’s considered Appalachia...or at least the edge of it.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote:
Daehawk is right. It’s always been “you’inz” or “you’uns” to those of us who grew up in what’s considered Appalachia...or at least the edge of it.
You’re clearly not a yinzer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Heretic!

Anyway, you’uns wrong.
Covfefe!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:44 pm
They are probably all used to some degree, but to someone who grew up in Pittsburgh, it's yinz.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Chicago seems to use “guys” for groups. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It took me almost 4 years before I stopped pronouncing "wash" as "worsh". I also still find myself using "fixin' to" when I mean to say "planning to" at times. I'm a born hillbilly.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote:It took me almost 4 years before I stopped pronouncing "wash" as "worsh". I also still find myself using "fixin' to" when I mean to say "planning to" at times. I'm a born hillbilly.
My uncle left Pittsburgh to be a teacher in Maryland. He tells a story about getting frustrated at one of his early classes. He yelled at them to “red up” their desks and then turned to write something on the chalkboard. He became even more angry when he turned back around and saw the kids didn’t clean their desks at all.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

lol...another one I remember from my childhood. My mother used to tell me to "red up my room" all the time when I was a kid.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Around here its always been 'you'inz', 'ya'll', 'far as in start a far, Kmark, tars for tires, thare for there, warsh for wash, wasper for wasp(my wife corrected me on this just last year bless her), and so on and such such.

And Id never know what red up meant.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

All I can think of is red rum from The Shining.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You'ns isn't the problem. It is when it becomes possessive that it gets scary. Yer'n or yer'ns.

My grandmother: Take this. It's yer'n.
Me: :?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Watch your top knot. Watch yorn.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Will do. Mind yer backtrail.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention-

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49091523
South Korea says its jets fired flares and machine-gun warning shots when Russian planes intruded.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Looks like the 9/11 First Responders bill will pass. About damn time.

Let's all take a moment to appreciate this image as well.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That is excellent. The news and the image.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fuck McConnell. That it took this long is a travesty.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:38 pm Fuck McConnell. That it took this long is a travesty.
Don't forget Rand Paul.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:40 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:38 pm Fuck McConnell. That it took this long is a travesty.
Don't forget Rand Paul.
Oh I don't. In the grand scheme of things Rand Paul delayed it a little. McConnell delayed it a lot.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
Three US university students have been suspended from their fraternity after posing with guns in front of a memorial honouring a slain civil rights icon.

The photo, obtained by the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting and ProPublica, shows the three brandishing firearms by the bullet-ridden sign.

The memorial honours 14-year-old Emmett Till, whose torture and murder in 1955 galvanised the civil rights movement.

The three may now face an investigation by the Department of Justice.

"The photo is inappropriate, insensitive and unacceptable," said a representative of the Kappa Alpha fraternity's national order in a statement, adding that "it does not represent" the fraternity.

On its official website, Kappa Alpha Order calls Robert E Lee - a confederate general who fought against the US government during the Civil War - the group's "spiritual founder".

The fraternity's University of Mississippi chapter did not return a request for comment.
It is unclear if the sign - pocked with bullet holes in the photo - was damaged by the students themselves.

Though the students have been suspended from their fraternity - temporarily banning them from activities hosted by the social club - they have not yet been disciplined by their university.

A spokesman for the school, Rod Guajardo, told BBC News that the students' actions are "offensive and hurtful" but do "not violate the school's code of conduct".
Patrick Weems, executive director of the Emmett Till Memorial Commission, said the memorial site honouring Till is the subject of constant abuse.
Mr Weems added that the 50lb (23kg) memorial will be swapped out for a bulletproof 500lb sign made of reinforced steel. It will be dedicated on 19 October with the Till family and the Mississippi Center for Justice.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:36 pm BBC
Three US university students have been suspended from their fraternity after posing with guns in front of a memorial honouring a slain civil rights icon.

The photo, obtained by the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting and ProPublica, shows the three brandishing firearms by the bullet-ridden sign.

The memorial honours 14-year-old Emmett Till, whose torture and murder in 1955 galvanised the civil rights movement.

The three may now face an investigation by the Department of Justice.

"The photo is inappropriate, insensitive and unacceptable," said a representative of the Kappa Alpha fraternity's national order in a statement, adding that "it does not represent" the fraternity.

On its official website, Kappa Alpha Order calls Robert E Lee - a confederate general who fought against the US government during the Civil War - the group's "spiritual founder".

The fraternity's University of Mississippi chapter did not return a request for comment.
It is unclear if the sign - pocked with bullet holes in the photo - was damaged by the students themselves.

Though the students have been suspended from their fraternity - temporarily banning them from activities hosted by the social club - they have not yet been disciplined by their university.

A spokesman for the school, Rod Guajardo, told BBC News that the students' actions are "offensive and hurtful" but do "not violate the school's code of conduct".
Patrick Weems, executive director of the Emmett Till Memorial Commission, said the memorial site honouring Till is the subject of constant abuse.
Mr Weems added that the 50lb (23kg) memorial will be swapped out for a bulletproof 500lb sign made of reinforced steel. It will be dedicated on 19 October with the Till family and the Mississippi Center for Justice.
I'm sure when it comes down it there are very fine people on both sides.