Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:31 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:25 pm If you know it's coming and you have a reason to fear for national security nor even need to provide relief, why not send in troops? It's kinda what they'r there for. A whole lot more so than policing the globe. Making it a show for your political theater against WASP Americans while you ask for untold billions to make a useless wall? That I got no use for.
Don't you already have border guards for that? The internet tells me that Obama nearly doubled the number up to 20,000. What are you paying those guys for, if not this?
The border is a big place full stationed people. The national guard is nearly a half million soldiers and it's what we pay them for as well. The issue isn't sending in 5,000 soldiers to contain something you see coming. The issue is making political theater of doing your job. (Which none of this to say I know how they will be deployed. There are a lot of different ways 5,000 soldiers can be used to provide security for our border. Sadly, I fear the for the Trump vision of providing security and the messages he's already sent with regard to ICE post 2016)
Last edited by LordMortis on Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:49 pm Yeah, I think sending the troops is 50% Trumpian ignorance and 50% to make it a "brown people invading" crisis so that Trump's base (read: racists) will turn out and vote.
The number was 800 last week. This week it's 5000. Next week it'll be "the draft".
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:00 pm Next week it'll be "the draft".
I hadn't even thought that way, thanks. Now I'm glad I'm too old and my kids are too young.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:02 pm
I hadn't even thought that way, thanks. Now I'm glad I'm too old and my kids are too young.
Generational wars will eventually come for everyone's kids.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:05 pm
Paingod wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:02 pm
Generational wars will eventually come for everyone's kids.
Not the ones with bone spurs.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Since when does a caravan of migrants 1000 miles from the border and already down to 3,500 people necessitate this kind of response?

Answer: when the midterms is eight days away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just a reminder that approaching the border to claim asylum is 100% legal. It is how it is done. You don't sit at home under intolerable conditions and write a letter asking for a chance to approach.

The caravan is doing literally nothing wrong. The Trumpian reaction is racist theater.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

This would be a disproportionate response even if a fraction of the caravan wasn't made up of women and children.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Captain Caveman wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:29 pm

Since when does a caravan of migrants 1000 miles from the border and already down to 3,500 people necessitate this kind of response?

Answer: when the midterms is eight days away.

:vomitsmiley.gif:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Hope they brought snacks. That caravan's going to take awhile to get there.

Also can't wait for the pictures of our troops "protecting us" from a bunch of screaming toddlers. Idiots.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Toddlers won't be there. Nobody from this caravan will.

They just want the pictures of soldiers "protecting" the boarder to make the threat seem real.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:36 pm Just a reminder that approaching the border to claim asylum is 100% legal. It is how it is done. You don't sit at home under intolerable conditions and write a letter asking for a chance to approach.

The caravan is doing literally nothing wrong. The Trumpian reaction is racist theater.
Thanks. I thought about investigating that, but it seemed like a lot of work.
Holman

Post by Holman »

14,000 troops.

This is now an Afghanistan-sized operation. I can't wait for the breathless Fox News footage covering it like a war.

Maybe the POTUS will even deign to visit the troops in this theater.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

You know... maybe we should all just be thankful that this is 'the war' that Trump gets to campaign with. Should be low in fatalities at least, I would think.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's called "Operation Faithful Patriot" because in the Trump era words are toilet paper.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I feel safer.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

It's comically cliche that for the 5 minutes I switched between CNN and Fox today they are running panel discussions explaining why the pipe bomber and Pittsburgh shooting are to be blamed on Trump and the Media. I chose to watch 2 random unranked college football teams play on ESPN instead.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

BROWN PEOPLE!! BE SCARED!! OOGA BOOGA!!

The number of people this laughable tactic is effective on is depressing.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Apparently terrorists are now flying from the Middle East to Colombia and then walking 2,000 miles to present themselves at the border. Wily bastards!
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Holman wrote:It's called "Operation Faithful Patriot" because in the Trump era words are toilet paper.
I assumed because it takes a faithful patriot to not roll your eyes to the floor and tell your CIC to fuck right the hell off when presented with these orders.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Faithful patriot is your dog's name.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have it on good authority that Trump was recently presented with evidence that Skrulls have infiltrated the caravan.
He won. Period.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Kraken wrote:Apparently terrorists are now flying from the Middle East to Colombia and then walking 2,000 miles to present themselves at the border. Wily bastards!
Backpack nukes don’t hike themselves in!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Back to the other derp for a sec, I thought this was an interesting thread about the "Christian Rabbi" Pence used to open a campaign event and the signals it sends.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

#WalkAway has some competition now: #Blexit

Kanye West designs anti-Democrat 'Blexit' merchandise
Kanye West has designed merchandise for Blexit - a campaign to encourage black Americans to quit the Democratic Party.

The movement, led by conservative commentator and social media star Candace Owens, launched at the weekend.

Owens said the rap star designed the logo - with human figures forming letters to spell the word Blexit - which appears on shirts and hats.

She said the pair's recent trip to Uganda "motivated Kanye and inspired what came to be the Blexit design".
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

She said Blexit was "for those who have taken an objective look at our decades-long allegiance to the left and asked ourselves, 'what do we have to show for it?'"
Instead, we'll try to cozy up to a group who hates the fact we even exist and is actively working to disenfranchise us at every possible opportunity.

I'm sure this will be a better solution, right?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Seriously?

A black man was president.

That might not put dollars in anyone's pocket, personally, but what has supporting democrats ever gotten us?

How about leader of the free world, for starters.

Civil rights, maybe? This guy is just as dumb as a bag of hammers.

Can someone explain Caitlyn Jenner and the leopards eating peoples' faces party meme to him?

Jay-z Christ.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:24 pm You know... maybe we should all just be thankful that this is 'the war' that Trump gets to campaign with. Should be low in fatalities at least, I would think.
It's a recipe for disaster. Best case, nothing happens and 14k troops waste their time milling about the border while the GOP promotes it's special brand of racism. Worst case, shots are fired and unarmed civilians are killed while the GOP justifies via it's special brand of racism.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:27 am
She said Blexit was "for those who have taken an objective look at our decades-long allegiance to the left and asked ourselves, 'what do we have to show for it?'"
Instead, we'll try to cozy up to a group who hates the fact we even exist and is actively working to disenfranchise us at every possible opportunity.

I'm sure this will be a better solution, right?
In saner times, this is how change happens. Heck it's how the republican party was co-opted by those that profess themselves patriots by their exclusive fantasies and are now trying to use political weight to make their patriotism the law of the land.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:46 am Seriously?

That might not put dollars in anyone's pocket, personally, but what has supporting democrats ever gotten us?

Can someone explain Caitlyn Jenner and the leopards eating peoples' faces party meme to him?

Jay-z Christ.
Kanye is in it for Kanye. This puts him in a rare niche and he keeps making the monies.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:55 am

Jay-z Christ.
Kanye is in it for Kanye. This puts him in a rare niche and he keeps making the monies.
Yeah, but it's not like Kanye's name recognition was low before, and his audience probably has a Trump favorability rating of 1%. Unless he course corrects, this is almost certainly going to cost him a lot of money in lost album sales and ticket sales.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Attorneys for Pharrell Williams sent President Donald Trump a “cease and desist” letter denouncing the use of the artist’s song “Happy” at an event Trump headlined on Saturday, mere hours after the deadly mass shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue.

“On the day of the mass murder of 11 human beings at the hands of a deranged ‘nationalist,’ you played his song ‘Happy’ to a crowd at a political event,” read the letter sent Monday, first reported by The Hollywood Reporter. “There was nothing ‘happy’ about the tragedy inflicted upon our country on Saturday and no permission was granted for your use of this song.”
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ph ... e5bfd501ed
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

What a leader this guy is...truly a man of character:

"“The political rhetoric is always pretty hot before an election,” he said. “But I think the whole tone in the country right now needs to be ratcheted down, and these horrible, criminal acts only underscore the need for all of us to dial it back to a more respectful place.”

But when a reporter asked the Senate president if Trump’s off-the-cuff comments on Twitter and at his campaign rallies may have contributed to the climate of disrespect, McConnell walked away without answering."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:07 am

Jay-z Christ.
Yeah, but it's not like Kanye's name recognition was low before, and his audience probably has a Trump favorability rating of 1%. Unless he course corrects, this is almost certainly going to cost him a lot of money in lost album sales and ticket sales.
If he just wants to sell albums and concert tickets for the rest of his life, that may be a problem for him, sure. However, I don't think that's the limit of his ambition.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:35 am

Jay-z Christ.
If he just wants to sell albums and concert tickets for the rest of his life, that may be a problem for him, sure. However, I don't think that's the limit of his ambition.
Unless his ambition is to be super unpopular or to be a conservative media pundit, then I'm not sure how this advances any plausible ambition. By far the most likely explanation for his actions is that he's kind of crazy. Also possible that this is all some long stunt (or, I suppose, that he'll eventually decide to retcon this by claiming that it was a stunt all along).
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is sort of a "well, duh" article, but it's very interesting to see the actual data behind the conclusion and how it has shifted over the years. The Yawning Divide That Explains American Politics"
To understand how American voters are being driven apart, look no further than two powerful demographic forces: gender and education.

Once, the political outlooks of white men without a college degree and white women with one were similar. In recent years, the groups, which represent about 40% of voters, have moved sharply apart. Analysis of the latest Wall Street Journal/NBC News survey shows the division to be at its widest since the poll began measuring it in 1994.

The gap is something new in American politics, and it has fundamentally changed how campaigns are waged. Once, white voters as a whole were “persuadable’’—they might have leaned toward one party or the other, but no big bloc within the group was out of reach. Today, as the chart below shows, a campaign for Congress in many places starts with 60% of college-educated white women favoring the Democratic nominee. An even larger share of white men without degrees favor the Republican—making both essentially unreachable by the opposing candidate.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Clearly the result of liberal colleges brainwashing women with their socialist propaganda.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:45 am

Jay-z Christ.
Unless his ambition is to be super unpopular or to be a conservative media pundit, then I'm not sure how this advances any plausible ambition. By far the most likely explanation for his actions is that he's kind of crazy. Also possible that this is all some long stunt (or, I suppose, that he'll eventually decide to retcon this by claiming that it was a stunt all along).
He married into the Kardashian family and he was recently at the White House as the guest of a president previously known for his fake business cred and reailty TV. I think we need to redefine crazy because reality is pretty fucking crazy these days.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:14 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:45 am

Jay-z Christ.
He married into the Kardashian family and he was recently at the White House as the guest of a president previously known for his fake business cred and reailty TV. I think we need to redefine crazy because reality is pretty fucking crazy these days.
I suppose it's also possible that his ambition is for Trump to appoint him to a cabinet post, which is sadly a fairly rational (attainable) ambition these days.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

After Trump was elected, I couldn't help but notice that NPR tried really hard to show no bias or sides. Lately, I've been noticing that they kind of stopped doing that. I can hear them doing eyerolls now when they talk about Trump stories, calling out lies, and flatly contradicting him ... like now they say "The president said this which isn't true..." ... and before they'd just say "The president said this..." .

I suppose it became impossible to call a pig a genetically challenged human and they just call it a pig now.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.