Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Post Reply
User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45813
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:07 am

AWS260 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 am
In local election news, today is a very weird special election in NYC.

Weird because it's for Public Advocate, an odd position that is essentially the city's ombudsman, advocating on behalf of residents who are ill-served by the city government. It can be a useful platform to counterbalance the mayor, but when the mayor and public advocate are allied, it's sort of useless. Strangely, the public advocate is first in the line of succession if the mayor dies or is incapacitated.

Weird because there were no primaries, so everyone and their grandmother are running. There are 18 candidates on the ballot, of whom 17 are actively campaigning.

Weird because it's a non-partisan election, so each of the candidates was forced to invent a party name. Made-up political parties on today's ballot include: Fix the MTA, No Amazon (already out-of-date), Friends of Helal (the candidate's name is Helal), Stop REBNY (that's the Real Estate Board of NY), and Pay Folks More.

I voted for a friend of my wife who is a serious policy nerd. There's no way that he'll win.
We have 14 candidates for mayor. I have 9 candidates for my Ward's mob boss alderman.

I've been playing a game when people ask who I'll vote for for mayor. I pick a random name. Every time the response has been, "Oh, that's a throwaway vote. Vote for [someone else]." Every time.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Jaymann
Posts: 8469
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:13 pm
Location: California

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Jaymann » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:13 am

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:07 am
AWS260 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 am
In local election news, today is a very weird special election in NYC.

Weird because it's for Public Advocate, an odd position that is essentially the city's ombudsman, advocating on behalf of residents who are ill-served by the city government. It can be a useful platform to counterbalance the mayor, but when the mayor and public advocate are allied, it's sort of useless. Strangely, the public advocate is first in the line of succession if the mayor dies or is incapacitated.

Weird because there were no primaries, so everyone and their grandmother are running. There are 18 candidates on the ballot, of whom 17 are actively campaigning.

Weird because it's a non-partisan election, so each of the candidates was forced to invent a party name. Made-up political parties on today's ballot include: Fix the MTA, No Amazon (already out-of-date), Friends of Helal (the candidate's name is Helal), Stop REBNY (that's the Real Estate Board of NY), and Pay Folks More.

I voted for a friend of my wife who is a serious policy nerd. There's no way that he'll win.
We have 14 candidates for mayor. I have 9 candidates for my Ward's mob boss alderman.

I've been playing a game when people ask who I'll vote for for mayor. I pick a random name. Every time the response has been, "Oh, that's a throwaway vote. Vote for [someone else]." Every time.
When you say a random name, do you mean a random candidate or literally a random name?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45813
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:28 am

One of the 14 candidates. Though a random name would probably work too. A few times I messed up and named an aldermanic candidate and no one noticed.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 11401
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Political Randomness

Post by ImLawBoy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:47 am

We only have two candidates for alderman in my ward. The incumbent (likely to win) is under investigation for potentially filing a false police report about his missing car, which ended up being in the possession of an ex "girlfriend". The challenger had photos of him from his bachelor party six years ago dressed as a banana, with his friends dressed as monkeys, posing with a group of four black kids. It's a wonderful time to be alive.
We had subs. It was crazy

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 59778
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:43 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:28 am
One of the 14 candidates. Though a random name would probably work too. A few times I messed up and named an aldermanic candidate and no one noticed.
Proof that they're not engaged in conversation, just waiting for a chance to speak.
Silver - 1k

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45813
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:56 pm

ImLawBoy wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:47 am
We only have two candidates for alderman in my ward. The incumbent (likely to win) is under investigation for potentially filing a false police report about his missing car, which ended up being in the possession of an ex "girlfriend". The challenger had photos of him from his bachelor party six years ago dressed as a banana, with his friends dressed as monkeys, posing with a group of four black kids. It's a wonderful time to be alive.
Proco Joe! He's a shit bag. She took his car because he didn't pay for her...services. He should have flashed his badge around and cracked the case himself.

Sadly it sounds like not much in the way of options. Wish you could have one of ours. It'll probably be a run off in 47.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45813
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:57 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:43 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:28 am
One of the 14 candidates. Though a random name would probably work too. A few times I messed up and named an aldermanic candidate and no one noticed.
Proof that they're not engaged in conversation, just waiting for a chance to speak.
Or proof that there are too many damned candidates.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 11401
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Political Randomness

Post by ImLawBoy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:10 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:56 pm
ImLawBoy wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:47 am
We only have two candidates for alderman in my ward. The incumbent (likely to win) is under investigation for potentially filing a false police report about his missing car, which ended up being in the possession of an ex "girlfriend". The challenger had photos of him from his bachelor party six years ago dressed as a banana, with his friends dressed as monkeys, posing with a group of four black kids. It's a wonderful time to be alive.
Proco Joe! He's a shit bag. She took his car because he didn't pay for her...services. He should have flashed his badge around and cracked the case himself.

Sadly it sounds like not much in the way of options. Wish you could have one of ours. It'll probably be a run off in 47.
On the other hand, if you need a new garbage bin or the recycling pickup was missed, you can call his office and shit gets done. That was not always the case when we were in another ward. So he's almost certainly a shit bag, but the bar is pretty low for a Chicago alderman.
We had subs. It was crazy

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45813
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:59 pm

ImLawBoy wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:10 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:56 pm
ImLawBoy wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:47 am
We only have two candidates for alderman in my ward. The incumbent (likely to win) is under investigation for potentially filing a false police report about his missing car, which ended up being in the possession of an ex "girlfriend". The challenger had photos of him from his bachelor party six years ago dressed as a banana, with his friends dressed as monkeys, posing with a group of four black kids. It's a wonderful time to be alive.
Proco Joe! He's a shit bag. She took his car because he didn't pay for her...services. He should have flashed his badge around and cracked the case himself.

Sadly it sounds like not much in the way of options. Wish you could have one of ours. It'll probably be a run off in 47.
On the other hand, if you need a new garbage bin or the recycling pickup was missed, you can call his office and shit gets done. That was not always the case when we were in another ward. So he's almost certainly a shit bag, but the bar is pretty low for a Chicago alderman.
The trains run on time...

He'll probably get swept in the Burke/Solis net anyway.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 13630
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Political Randomness

Post by Zarathud » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:35 pm

Joe Moreno is drinking again, and she was has sometimes girlfriend who had permission by texts to use the car. The asshole claims to have "forgot" about it.

I would love to have my clouted alderman Deb Mell back. She knew my wife and kids by sight, and showed up to everything in the community. She probably threw herself into the job because her marriage fell apart and her family name is now baggage. Now we're just a few blocks into the 35th Ward, where the progressive do-nothing Carlos Ramirez-Rosa keeps running for a promotion. He can't get the potholes fixed or street parking passes, but we can still get them from Mell.

It's going to be crazy tonight. Turnout is supposed to be low.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45813
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:25 pm

I voted after work. Took me all of 2 minutes. The 3 block walk to the polling place took longer.

I thought maybe all the talk of low turnout would have driven more to show up late in the day but from what I saw, nope. Of course I did hear record early voting so
...

This all probably means Daley/Preckwinkle/Lightfoot but who knows, we could all wake up to Joyce/Wilson/Vallas.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
AWS260
Posts: 10261
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Political Randomness

Post by AWS260 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:23 am

AWS260 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 am
Weird because it's a non-partisan election, so each of the candidates was forced to invent a party name. Made-up political parties on today's ballot include: Fix the MTA, No Amazon (already out-of-date), Friends of Helal (the candidate's name is Helal), Stop REBNY (that's the Real Estate Board of NY), and Pay Folks More.
And our new Public Advocate is the candidate from the "It's Time Let's Go" party. No comma, semicolon, or dash. Just "It's Time Let's Go."

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40395
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Political Randomness

Post by GreenGoo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:39 am

Apostrophes look good. It's go time let's go, it's time let's go party.

Could use more exclamations.

User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 11401
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Political Randomness

Post by ImLawBoy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:48 am

ImLawBoy wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:47 am
We only have two candidates for alderman in my ward. The incumbent (likely to win)
I'm getting ready to field offers from 538 on my predictive abilities. It wasn't close. I'm not sure if people got tired of his skeevy vibe or it was a big backlash against all the development here, but Proco Joe is out.
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:25 pm
This all probably means Daley/Preckwinkle/Lightfoot but who knows, we could all wake up to Joyce/Wilson/Vallas.
Lightfoot and Preckwinkle. At this point, as long as it's not Daley I'm fine.
We had subs. It was crazy

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 59778
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:56 am

AWS260 wrote:
AWS260 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 am
Weird because it's a non-partisan election, so each of the candidates was forced to invent a party name. Made-up political parties on today's ballot include: Fix the MTA, No Amazon (already out-of-date), Friends of Helal (the candidate's name is Helal), Stop REBNY (that's the Real Estate Board of NY), and Pay Folks More.
And our new Public Advocate is the candidate from the "It's Time Let's Go" party. No comma, semicolon, or dash. Just "It's Time Let's Go."
Did you use the restroom first? I don’t want to have to pull this party over.
Silver - 1k

User avatar
Jaymann
Posts: 8469
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:13 pm
Location: California

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Jaymann » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:08 am

ImLawBoy wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:48 am
ImLawBoy wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:47 am
We only have two candidates for alderman in my ward. The incumbent (likely to win)
I'm getting ready to field offers from 538 on my predictive abilities. It wasn't close. I'm not sure if people got tired of his skeevy vibe or it was a big backlash against all the development here, but Proco Joe is out.
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:25 pm
This all probably means Daley/Preckwinkle/Lightfoot but who knows, we could all wake up to Joyce/Wilson/Vallas.
Lightfoot and Preckwinkle. At this point, as long as it's not Daley I'm fine.
What about Thunderbolt?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17762
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Defiant » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:30 am

AWS260 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 am
In local election news, today is a very weird special election in NYC.

Weird because it's for Public Advocate, an odd position that is essentially the city's ombudsman, advocating on behalf of residents who are ill-served by the city government. It can be a useful platform to counterbalance the mayor, but when the mayor and public advocate are allied, it's sort of useless. Strangely, the public advocate is first in the line of succession if the mayor dies or is incapacitated.

Weird because there were no primaries, so everyone and their grandmother are running. There are 18 candidates on the ballot, of whom 17 are actively campaigning.

Weird because it's a non-partisan election, so each of the candidates was forced to invent a party name. Made-up political parties on today's ballot include: Fix the MTA, No Amazon (already out-of-date), Friends of Helal (the candidate's name is Helal), Stop REBNY (that's the Real Estate Board of NY), and Pay Folks More.

I voted for a friend of my wife who is a serious policy nerd. There's no way that he'll win.
So the winner of the election is someone who opposes marriage equality and abortion rights and had been "arrested a decade ago on harassment (against his girlfriend) and criminal mischief charges" before the charges has been dropped, so... good job NYC?

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45813
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LawBeefaroni » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 am

ImLawBoy wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:48 am
ImLawBoy wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:47 am
We only have two candidates for alderman in my ward. The incumbent (likely to win)
I'm getting ready to field offers from 538 on my predictive abilities. It wasn't close. I'm not sure if people got tired of his skeevy vibe or it was a big backlash against all the development here, but Proco Joe is out.
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:25 pm
This all probably means Daley/Preckwinkle/Lightfoot but who knows, we could all wake up to Joyce/Wilson/Vallas.
Lightfoot and Preckwinkle. At this point, as long as it's not Daley I'm fine.
Proco Joe is out, as is John Arena. The machine guy in my ward was roundly defeated so looks like business as usual was not so accepted this time. But Burke is still in. WTF.

Zarathud will be happy to see that Mell is in the runoff, even if she isn't his Alderman anymore.



As for the mayoral runoff in April, it's not what I would have wanted but not a shocker either. You can see why Joyce was brought in 6 months ago to pull votes. Pretty sure he's the reason Daley (and to a lesser extent Wilson) didn't move on.

Now we get to choose between 2 candidates that 67% of voters didn't vote for. I'll probably vote Lightfoot but she just comes off as constantly angry with a chip on her shoulder. She's ardently anti-cop. But Preckwinkle had shown me a lot not like running Cook County so I just can't see my way to voting for her. Either way, I have a feeling the change they're promising will come with a big cost when we finally get it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Archinerd
Posts: 5812
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:18 am
Location: Shikaakwa

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Archinerd » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:12 am

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 am

Proco Joe is out, as is John Arena. The machine guy in my ward was roundly defeated so looks like business as usual was not so accepted this time. But Burke is still in. WTF.
I'm sad about Arena. He's done (and tried to do) a lot of good things in my neighborhood but the opposition against him is mean, loud, and well organized.
Despite being only one block outside of the Ward boundary I'm apparently not allowed to vote for him. Go figure. :wink:

User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 11401
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Political Randomness

Post by ImLawBoy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:11 am

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 am
Now we get to choose between 2 candidates that 67% of voters didn't vote for. I'll probably vote Lightfoot but she just comes off as constantly angry with a chip on her shoulder. She's ardently anti-cop. But Preckwinkle had shown me a lot not like running Cook County so I just can't see my way to voting for her. Either way, I have a feeling the change they're promising will come with a big cost when we finally get it.
I'm more likely to vote for Lightfoot, too, but that's based more on what I know about Preckwinkle than anything else. My wife said she voted for Lightfoot in the primary, so someone's happy.
We had subs. It was crazy

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 20704
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Holman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:00 pm

I keep seeing variations on this online today:

Two nuclear-armed nations are definitely on the brink of a shooting war, and it's barely the third-biggest story of the day.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
Jaymann
Posts: 8469
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:13 pm
Location: California

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Jaymann » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:02 pm

Holman wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:00 pm
I keep seeing variations on this online today:

Two nuclear-armed nations are definitely on the brink of a shooting war, and it's barely the third-biggest story of the day.
Which two nations???
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 20704
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Holman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:07 pm

Pakistan and India are downing each other's planes today.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 60468
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LordMortis » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:07 pm

After spending 3+ years culling propaganda from my all of my feeds, I'm kind bummed at my decision for the first time. I'm genuinely curious to see what the so called libertarian, tax is theft, states rights, I fear my government, deep state overstep propaganda machines have to say about the 182 members of the house, "freedom caucus" most vocally inclusive, who voted in favor of the President side stepping the law regarding purse to spend billions of dollars on a presidential vanity project that will use eminent domain to take land away from private land holders.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40395
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Political Randomness

Post by GreenGoo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:37 pm

Jaymann wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:02 pm
Holman wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:00 pm
I keep seeing variations on this online today:

Two nuclear-armed nations are definitely on the brink of a shooting war, and it's barely the third-biggest story of the day.
Which two nations???
Brown people nations with no ability to reach the US. Don't worry about it.

Note: Not directed at the poster.

User avatar
Jaymann
Posts: 8469
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:13 pm
Location: California

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Jaymann » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:50 pm

GreenGoo wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:37 pm
Jaymann wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:02 pm
Holman wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:00 pm
I keep seeing variations on this online today:

Two nuclear-armed nations are definitely on the brink of a shooting war, and it's barely the third-biggest story of the day.
Which two nations???
Brown people nations with no ability to reach the US. Don't worry about it.
Even a local nuclear exchange can ruin your whole planet :(
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 59778
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:52 pm

I'll just move in with Sectoid.
Silver - 1k

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45813
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LawBeefaroni » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:59 pm

Jaymann wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:50 pm
GreenGoo wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:37 pm
Jaymann wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:02 pm
Holman wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:00 pm
I keep seeing variations on this online today:

Two nuclear-armed nations are definitely on the brink of a shooting war, and it's barely the third-biggest story of the day.
Which two nations???
Brown people nations with no ability to reach the US. Don't worry about it.
Even a local nuclear exchange can ruin your whole planet :(
So-called nuclear winter will counter so-called global warming. So any nuclear war far away is potentially a good thing. Well, except the price of shirts will probaby go up a lot.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17762
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Defiant » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:47 pm


User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 60468
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LordMortis » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:48 am

:lol:

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 32251
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Political Randomness

Post by El Guapo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:02 am

As a side note, I'm in the middle of reading Michael Lewis's The Fifth Risk (about all the dangerous shit that could happen because federal agencies are largely run by incompetent / absent / hostile political hacks), and they mention at one point that the North Carolina GOP tried to give out flood relief just on election day 2016, so that poor people would have to choose between eating and voting.

I think the North Carolina GOP may be the shittiest republicans in the country, and that's saying something.

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 20704
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Holman » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:47 pm



Benjamin Netanyahu has been charged with bribery and fraud, will stand trial.

Oh, and elections are April 9.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 32251
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Political Randomness

Post by El Guapo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:33 pm

From the article it looks like there's a hearing process that could delay the formal indictment for up to a year (after the election), although I don't think anyone expects that process has much chance of actually preventing the ultimate indictment, so I'm not sure whether that will matter much for the electoral impact.

I wonder how firm the evidence is.

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17762
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Defiant » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:06 pm

This is the first time in Israel's history that a sitting Prime Minister has been indicted.
Fixed that for you.
I wonder how firm the evidence is.
From what I remember, this investigation has been going on for years, which makes me assume this they've had time to build a firm case. If it isn't firm, announcing it right before an election, well....

Speaking of which, two of the centrist parties had joined together and polls suggested it would edge out Likud. I would guess this will probably help that party.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 32251
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Political Randomness

Post by El Guapo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:47 pm

Defiant wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:06 pm
This is the first time in Israel's history that a sitting Prime Minister has been indicted.
Fixed that for you.
I wonder how firm the evidence is.
From what I remember, this investigation has been going on for years, which makes me assume this they've had time to build a firm case. If it isn't firm, announcing it right before an election, well....

Speaking of which, two of the centrist parties had joined together and polls suggested it would edge out Likud. I would guess this will probably help that party.
Yeah, I assume that it's not actually a politically motivated witch hunt. What I'm getting at more is that it seems like the bribery case rests upon a quid pro quo, that a newspaper owner gave Netanyahu preferential political coverage in exchange for specific regulatory decisions. The hard part of proving that is inevitably establishing that both parties knew the deal. And on that, do they have Netanyahu on tape? Is it notes / e-mails on the newspaper owner's part saying things like "Netanyahu is going to give us X for better coverage"? Is it more inferential from how things played out?

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40395
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Political Randomness

Post by GreenGoo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:02 pm

Defiant wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:06 pm
From what I remember, this investigation has been going on for years,
+1.

This has been going on since he addressed Congress at the invitation of the Republicans during Obama's administration, if I recall correctly.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 32251
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Political Randomness

Post by El Guapo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:39 am

Rep. Omar gets less subtle:
“To me, it’s something that becomes designed to end the debate because you get in this space of – yes, I know what intolerance looks like and I’m sensitive when someone says, ‘The words you used Ilhan, are resemblance of intolerance.’ And I am cautious of that and I feel pained by that. But it’s almost as if, every single time we say something regardless of what it is we say…we get to be labeled something. And that ends the discussion. Because we end up defending that and nobody ever gets to have the broader debate of what is happening with Palestine.”

“So for me, I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is okay to push for allegiance to a foreign country,” Rep. Omar exclaimed, seeming to suggest, as Tlaib had in a tweet of her own, dual loyalty among a particular group of Americans. Loud rounds of applause and shouts of affirmation punctuated the event’s heavy focus on Israel.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45813
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LawBeefaroni » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:35 pm

Archinerd wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:12 am
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 am

Proco Joe is out, as is John Arena. The machine guy in my ward was roundly defeated so looks like business as usual was not so accepted this time. But Burke is still in. WTF.
I'm sad about Arena. He's done (and tried to do) a lot of good things in my neighborhood but the opposition against him is mean, loud, and well organized.
Despite being only one block outside of the Ward boundary I'm apparently not allowed to vote for him. Go figure. :wink:
Here's Arena:
Oh johnny [ John Garrido]. I’ve lost nothing. You impotent little boy. Beat your ass twice. Knowing that for eight years you watched me build while you diddle away on Facebook was all I needed. Today I’ll cut the ribbon on an annex where generations of children will learn, you made a meme. Oh, and every time you drive MKE [Milwaukee Avenue] you’ll think of how I owned you. Good luck collecting your pension. 20% funded. Go write me a property tax check. Cuck.
Once an asshole, always an asshole. And I get that Chicago politics is filled with them, but now he's really going off the rails.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40395
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Political Randomness

Post by GreenGoo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:55 pm

The "cuck" is a nice touch. That's how I identify truly vile people, not just your run of the mill deplorable.

User avatar
Archinerd
Posts: 5812
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:18 am
Location: Shikaakwa

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Archinerd » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:57 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:35 pm
Archinerd wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:12 am
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:13 am

Proco Joe is out, as is John Arena. The machine guy in my ward was roundly defeated so looks like business as usual was not so accepted this time. But Burke is still in. WTF.
I'm sad about Arena. He's done (and tried to do) a lot of good things in my neighborhood but the opposition against him is mean, loud, and well organized.
Despite being only one block outside of the Ward boundary I'm apparently not allowed to vote for him. Go figure. :wink:
Here's Arena:
Oh johnny [ John Garrido]. I’ve lost nothing. You impotent little boy. Beat your ass twice. Knowing that for eight years you watched me build while you diddle away on Facebook was all I needed. Today I’ll cut the ribbon on an annex where generations of children will learn, you made a meme. Oh, and every time you drive MKE [Milwaukee Avenue] you’ll think of how I owned you. Good luck collecting your pension. 20% funded. Go write me a property tax check. Cuck.
Once an asshole, always an asshole. And I get that Chicago politics is filled with them, but now he's really going off the rails.
Yeah. I did see that, not cool.
I never said he was perfect and I'm not going to defend his comments.
Doesn't change the fact that as Alderman he has done a good job at supporting local organizations and businesses. Despite what his opponents say, the neighborhood is better for it.

Post Reply