Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur
Snooze

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:44 pm

Are principals covered by teachers' unions?

NBC News
A Florida principal has been reassigned to an administrative position after he told a parent in an email that the Holocaust was not a “factual, historical event.”

The Palm Beach Post revealed Friday that in a 2018 email exchange with a parent, Principal William Latson of the Spanish River Community High School said he could not “force” Holocaust lessons on children because some people don’t believe the Holocaust happened.

The parent, who had emailed to ask about Holocaust education at the high school in Boca Raton, Florida, replied saying, “The Holocaust is a factual, historical event,” according to the emails obtained by the daily newspaper.

Latson responded saying he had to be politically neutral and couldn’t affirm the parent's correct claim.

“I can’t say the Holocaust is a factual, historical event because I am not in a position to do so as a school district employee,” the principal at the school of more than 2000 students wrote.
Silver - 1k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:51 pm

To be fair, I don't know that this email exchange actually happened. I have seen no proof so I can't say they it's an actual, factual historical event.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

Isgrimnur
Snooze

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:36 pm

WaPo
In the many text messages exchanged by Michelle Carter and her suicidal boyfriend — as they strained to understand “the worst pain” and discussed the best ways to die — one observation stands out for its recognition of all the two teenagers could not fathom.

“Sometimes things happen and we never have the answers why,” Carter, then 17, mused to 18-year-old Conrad Roy III on a summer day in 2014.

Five years later, Carter, now 22, is seeking answers from the nation’s top court.

In a petition for Supreme Court review, filed on Monday, lawyers for the young woman are asking the justices to vacate Carter’s conviction for involuntary manslaughter in the July 2014 death of Roy, who poisoned himself with carbon monoxide in a Kmart parking lot in Fairhaven, Mass., after exchanging text messages and speaking twice on the phone with Carter on that summer day. She lived about 50 miles away in Plainville, Mass.

Calling her conviction “unprecedented,” the petition points to decisions in other states invalidating findings of culpability in cases of assisted suicide and cyberstalking. It claims that Carter’s right to free speech under the First Amendment shields her from criminal responsibility because her involvement was limited to “words alone.”

The new chapter in the explosive case, which captured international attention, opened the same week that a documentary about the events, “I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter,” airs on HBO.
Silver - 1k