LGBT issues thread (was Supreme Court to hear same-sex marriage cases)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Supreme Court to hear same-sex marriage cases

Post by Isgrimnur »

Da rules
Attorneys for Rowan County clerk Kim Davis are petitioning the Supreme Court for an emergency order protecting her from being fired until her lawsuit against Gov. Steve Beshear (D) is resolved. Earlier Friday, the Rowan County Attorney formally requested that the state government charge Davis with misconduct, the first step in ousting her from her post.
As an elected official, Davis is difficult to fire. Friday’s request for misdemeanor official misconduct charges against her by the Attorney General begins a slow process that could only actually kick her out of office if the state legislature votes to impeach her. She has also risked contempt charges by continuing to refuse to issue licenses in defiance of a court order. If the Supreme Court grants her request from Friday night, it would keep her in office until her suit against Beshear is ultimately resolved — potentially even by The Nine themselves.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Well, if they can't fire her maybe they can put her in jail at least.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote:How this woman still has a job is completely baffling to me.
Because she's operating "under God's authority":
When Davis emerged, she declared that she was not issuing any licenses.

“Under whose authority?” she was asked.

“Under God’s authority,” she said.
Can't be fired? Suspend her without pay until the courts decide what's right. I'm guessing there's no shortage of clerks willing to actually do the job she's required to perform. Hell, what's the process for a recall vote down there?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can't they have more than one clerk working until this is resolved?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Can they legally replace her even if they could legally suspend her though? Being an elected official makes this a really tough situation. One she's riding like a goddamn race horse on Derby Day.
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Hell, what's the process for a recall vote down there?
In Kentucky? Why do you think it would actually succeed there?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote:In Kentucky? Why do you think it would actually succeed there?
Doesn't matter. If that's the rule, the it needs to be initiated. Sitting around and doing nothing while this woman hides behind her religion is unacceptable. Clearly there are people covering for her. Why hasn't the State stepped in? No government official - elected, appointed or otherwise hired to fill a job role - should be able to refuse job duties specified. She's doing this because she can and the full might of the law must be used to (1) compel her to comply or (2) vacate her position.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

God created the Earth 10,000 years ago, and by God, Kentucky won't see that venerable history damaged by some perverts!
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The good news is ultimately her cause is doomed. She will eventually go down in history as just another George Wallace on the schoolhouse steps.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

This woman has me shaking my head and there are other clerks standing up for her talking about standing behind the 1st amendment to 'protect religious liberty' with a complete lack of understanding that acting as agents of the Government...they are actually the ones in the wrong. :tjg:
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Can she be impeached?

Edit: Never mind, I see that she can be.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Contempt hearing
Lawyers filed a motion Tuesday morning to hold Kentucky’s Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis in contempt of court for refusing to obey the bevy of court orders against her and provide marriage licenses for same-sex couples.

The Courier-Journal said that Davis’ request for a stay from the U.S. Supreme Court was denied on Monday and yet, the rigidly Christian clerk reported for work on Tuesday and continued to refuse “under God’s authority” to fulfill her duties.

The Associated Press said that Davis and her staff have been ordered by U.S. District Judge David Bunning to appear in federal court on Thursday morning at 11 a.m. to explain themselves.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Throw her in jail until she resigns or capitulates.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Enough

Post by Enough »

Smoove_B wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:How this woman still has a job is completely baffling to me.
Because she's operating "under God's authority":
When Davis emerged, she declared that she was not issuing any licenses.

“Under whose authority?” she was asked.

“Under God’s authority,” she said.
Can't be fired? Suspend her without pay until the courts decide what's right. I'm guessing there's no shortage of clerks willing to actually do the job she's required to perform. Hell, what's the process for a recall vote down there?
She's also being defended by the Liberty Counsel, a political group with principles that have called for the death penalty for homosexuality. The American Taliban/ISIS exists, god save us if they ever get more power.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Is being married/divorced 4 times considered following gods law?

Because that is this case with this asshole.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Xmann wrote:Is being married/divorced 4 times considered following gods law?

No no no, you don't get it. She did that BEFORE she found god so it doesn't matter.

:roll:
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Vorret wrote:
Xmann wrote:Is being married/divorced 4 times considered following gods law?

No no no, you don't get it. She did that BEFORE she found god so it doesn't matter.

:roll:
Got it.

Stupid me
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hubby: Honey, do you think we can "do it" tonight?

Kim: Fornication is against God's law!

Hubby: But we're married!

Kim: Not anymore!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isn't there an assistant clerk or someone that would step in should she be unable to perform her duties, or would they just do without a clerk until the next election?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No idea how they do it down in KY, but for every town I worked for in NJ there were multiple people in the office at any given time that had the ability to take a marriage license application. And that's how I would get involved - I have probably taken a few dozen applications without a problem. If KY requires only one person or if the application is only valid if a specific person signs it (regardless of how the application was filed) that could be part of the problem. Regardless, it's 100% ridiculous.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm assuming that her area makes Petticoat Junction look like Los Angeles.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's not about who takes the form or processes it, it's that the document, either personally or via rubber stamp, autopen, et al., results in her name being affixed to said document.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:It's not about who takes the form or processes it, it's that the document, either personally or via rubber stamp, autopen, et al., results in her name being affixed to said document.
So step down. If you don't step down, then you need to be stepped down. If you refuse to be stepped down then you need to be forcibly stepped down and have charges brought against you.

I believe she is (was?) in the process of being forcibly stepped down. She also needs to be prosecuted IMO, though I don't know under what law. If there isn't a law about willfully not performing your lawful duties as an elected official, then there needs to be.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oh, I'm sure we'll have more grist for this mill by tomorrow afternoon.
Isgrimnur wrote:The Associated Press said that Davis and her staff have been ordered by U.S. District Judge David Bunning to appear in federal court on Thursday morning at 11 a.m. to explain themselves.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote:It's not about who takes the form or processes it, it's that the document, either personally or via rubber stamp, autopen, et al., results in her name being affixed to said document.
I just printed up a document with her name affixed indicating she's a fornicator that has children out of wedlock, and then had my signature notarized by a local official. Now she's doomed, for sure.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You should totally mail it to her.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I also included a photo of her which means I've managed to capture her soul. I will not give it back until she does her job.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

LordMortis wrote:
So step down. If you don't step down, then you need to be stepped down. If you refuse to be stepped down then you need to be forcibly stepped down and have charges brought against you.

I believe she is (was?) in the process of being forcibly stepped down. She also needs to be prosecuted IMO, though I don't know under what law. If there isn't a law about willfully not performing your lawful duties as an elected official, then there needs to be.
Couldn't say it any better.

This lady is a scum bag in my opinion. An elected official refusing to do her job and duty is disgusting.

She needs to be made example of.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

The word "fornicator" has always been at the top of my list as fun words to say, for some reason
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Alefroth wrote:Isn't there an assistant clerk or someone that would step in should she be unable to perform her duties, or would they just do without a clerk until the next election?
I've been wondering what happens when this woman goes on vacation, or calls out sick. The town must go into chaos. I get it's a little more cloudy since it's an elected position in this town, but there must be a backup.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:Kentucky clerk defies court order:
[U.S. District Judge David L.] Bunning said state law does not allow the county judge-executive to issue marriage licenses unless Davis is absent from her job, and Bunning refused to deem Davis absent because she has a religious objection. And Bunning said issuing a marriage license does not constitute speech, saying the marriage license form "does not require the county clerk to condone or endorse same-sex marriage on religious or moral grounds."
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Let's pretend that instead of refusing to sign, she becomes hospitalized for an extended period. Do all marriage licenses get put on hold then? Or even suppose she dies. Is that it for marriages until someone else is elected?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote:
Let's pretend that instead of refusing to sign, she becomes hospitalized for an extended period. Do all marriage licenses get put on hold then? Or even suppose she dies. Is that it for marriages until someone else is elected?
Isgrimnur wrote:
[U.S. District Judge David L.] Bunning said state law does not allow the county judge-executive to issue marriage licenses unless Davis is absent from her job, and Bunning refused to deem Davis absent because she has a religious objection. And Bunning said issuing a marriage license does not constitute speech, saying the marriage license form "does not require the county clerk to condone or endorse same-sex marriage on religious or moral grounds."
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Alefroth wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing what happens if she were to die. Can we have a real time test of that scenario?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I know you're kidding, but that kind of thinking does not help things. It just gives those who feel she's right a reason to hunker down and say those who disagree with them are the bad folks in this thing. The best way to fight sanctimonious, self righteous zealots is to show the world how awful they truly are in the face of real humanity.
He won. Period.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

hepcat wrote:I know you're kidding, but that kind of thinking does not help things. It just gives those who feel she's right a reason to hunker down and say those who disagree with them are the bad folks in this thing. The best way to fight sanctimonious, self righteous zealots is to show the world how awful they truly are in the face of real humanity.
Yeah, I know.

This just pisses me off so bad it makes my blood boil.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oddly enough, the guy who works in the cubicle next to me, and who usually avoids political outbursts, was practically frothing at the mouth mad about this earlier today. He REALLY does not like what she's doing. :lol:
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
It took me a long time to type that :P
Holman

Post by Holman »

What's interesting is that, apart from a few dead-enders like NOM, the usual conservative suspects aren't lining up to support her. More than anything else, that tells me the battle for marriage equality is essentially won.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow