Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Supreme Court to hear same-sex marriage cases

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Supreme Court to hear same-sex marriage cases

Post by Blackhawk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:19 am

The more ways you can define a family, the more people can find a family that fits them.

The alternative, of course, would just be for governments to get out of the business of defining families. It would remove the issue entirely.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

Rip
Away

Post by Rip » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:51 am

You may be surprised but I am all for that. If I am stupid enough to want five wives no reason for the government to care....

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:36 am

Nothing you say is surprising.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:41 am

Hawaii
On Friday, Hawaii's Intermediate Court of Appeals upheld a previous ruling that found a Hawaii Kai bed and breakfast was discriminatory for refusing the lesbian couple a room because of their sexual orientation.
Throughout the case, lawyers for the owner of Aloha Bed & Breakfast claimed Phyllis Young's religious views allowed her to refuse to rent a room to a same-sex couple.

Upon investigation, Young admitted to turning the women away because she felt that homosexual relationships were "detestable" and "defiled the land."

The court rejected that argument and found that the home business broke Hawaii's public accommodation law, which requires equal access to facilities and services regardless of race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.
On it's website, the business appears to still be up and running and touts itself as a Hawaii Kai Christian B&B home on a ridge with breathtaking views of east Oahu.
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:17 pm

Rip wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:51 am
You may be surprised but I am all for that. If I am stupid enough to want five wives no reason for the government to care....
It seems more and more to me that you'd be a good fit for the FLDS.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

Rip
Away

Post by Rip » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:35 pm

hepcat wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:17 pm
Rip wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:51 am
It seems more and more to me that you'd be a good fit for the FLDS.

Perhaps, except for the entire not believing in god thing.........

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Well, you are in a bigger cult now, I guess. :mrgreen:
-Mr Bismarck

-Coopasonic

Defiant

Post by Defiant » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:09 pm

The House Appropriations Committee on Wednesday passed an amendment allowing taxpayer-funded adoption agencies to deny LGBTQ families the ability to adopt a child based on religious objection.

The amendment appears on a funding bill for the Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education. If it remains in the final bill, the amendment would cut 15% of federal adoption funding to states and localities that penalize adoption agencies that refuse to place children in families that conflict with the agency’s “sincerely held religious beliefs or convictions.”

The amendment also bars the federal government from refusing to work with adoption agencies that discriminate.
In addition to LGBTQ people and same-sex couples, the amendment would also impact interfaith couples, single parents, married couples in which one prospective parent has previously been divorced, or other qualified parents to whom an agency could have an objection.
link

Defiant

Post by Defiant » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Trump drains HIV/AIDS funding to pay for child migrant detention
Slate reports that budget documents show funding has been reallocated within the Department of Health and Human Services from the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program to pay for the Trump administration’s aggressive stance on child migrants, which may require thousands of people to be detained.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Phew, problem solved.

If Reagan can ignore the disease then that's good enough for today's GOP.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:24 am

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:56 pm
JONAH loses "gay conversion" consumer fraud case.
Several states already prohibit licensed therapists from providing “conversion therapy” to minors and a bill pending in Congress would classify commercial conversion therapy and advertising that claims to change sexual orientation and gender identity as fraud.
Since Congress isn't doing anything...

Delaware
Licensed mental health professionals can no longer practice gay conversion therapy on minors in Delaware after its governor signed a new law Monday. With the signing, Delaware becomes the 15th state to restrict the practice, the Human Rights Campaign said in a statement.
Delaware joins Washington, Maryland, New Hampshire and Hawaii in passing measures this year to restrict conversion therapy, according to the Human Rights Campaign. Almost 50 bills had been introduced targeting conversion therapy in 24 states as of April.
When the bill was introduced last year, conservative groups such as the Delaware Family Policy Council said it defined conversion therapy in a way that censored the free speech of health professionals and limited families' care options.

Republican Rep. Richard Collins introduced an amendment to allow conversion therapy if the patient requests it, Delaware Public Media noted. That amendment failed.
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

Fitzy

Post by Fitzy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:59 pm

Ugh. I normally fall on the side of free association, but I have seen the horrific results of these so called conversion therapies and they should be removed from any semblance of state accepted, removed from medically accepted (I'm not sure any reputable medical organization supports it), and outright banned on minors with heavy protections for adults under family/religious pressure. Maybe just outright banned is best.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:53 pm

Conversion therapy is simply torture. Pure and simple. It should be abolished completely.
-Mr Bismarck

-Coopasonic

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:00 pm

New York
ROOT, N.Y. (NEWS10) - Marriage equality was passed in 2011, but this might be the first time a gay couple has been denied a marriage certificate here in the Capital Region.

A sign reading “justice court” is posted outside the town of Root’s clerk’s office. It’s justice that one same-sex couple says was lacking when they were denied a marriage certificate.

Dylan Toften and Thomas Hurd posted this message on Facebook about their experience, calling the clerk a “bigot” and asking for the governor to step in.

Governor Andrew Cuomo is, in fact, doing so, launching an investigation into the matter.
Silver - 3k

Exodor

Post by Exodor » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:39 pm

The last sentence of that article...
NEWS10 ABC spoke with someone who agrees with the woman’s beliefs but says she might be in the wrong business.

...OK? Why bother to include an anonymous source with nothing to add?

Maybe it's a required word-count thing - kinda like making the margins bigger to make your 1.5 page paper stretch onto a third page. :mrgreen: