IRS admits targeting conservative groups

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: IRS admits targeting conservative groups

Post by Smoove_B »

The Mayor wrote:I'm always taken aback when I encounter somebody whose mind is so set that it cannot be changed by mere facts.
Doesn't Curio City sell these shirts?

Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Rip wrote:Mere facts? Oh, you mean the ones the government makes up until you can prove they aren't facts anymore. Of course by then you are in prison because the real facts are always classified or protected by executive priviledge.
I think he's talking about Zeke's inability to recognize that no one here thinks that the IRS is awesome and right to selectively target political opponents of the Administration.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Teddy's getting angry...you wouldn't like Teddy when he's angry.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Rip wrote:Mere facts? Oh, you mean the ones the government makes up until you can prove they aren't facts anymore. Of course by then you are in prison because the real facts are always classified or protected by executive priviledge.
I think he's talking about Zeke's inability to recognize that no one here thinks that the IRS is awesome and right to selectively target political opponents of the Administration.
Oh, :oops:
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Ya I just wasted my time in this thread on purpose because, clearly, everyone believes what the IRS did is wrong.

What a revelation!

:roll:
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And so with that Zeke departed. Some say he was just too beautiful for this world. Others that his caregiver realized they'd forgot to password protect the wifi router. But I'd like to think that somewhere out there, zeke's still arguing his side of things. maybe with a tree...or perhaps a piece of drywall. But arguing all the same and still congratulating himself on winning.
Covfefe!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

quit following me around.

freak.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But I must chronicle your adventures for future generations! Someday people will forget all about your trials and tribulations with getting a garage to put old tires on you car, and the mighty roar you let out that day. If that happens, a little bit of magic will have left this world. :(
Covfefe!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Zekester wrote:Ya I just wasted my time in this thread on purpose because, clearly, everyone believes what the IRS did is wrong.

What a revelation!

You wasted your time in this thread because you're a toolbag.
Make up bags of change
theohall

Post by theohall »

Zekester wrote:quit following me around.

freak.
Why? Simply because you completely believe everything the know-nothing Officer Bar Brady administration tells you?

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Zekester wrote:Ya I just wasted my time in this thread on purpose because, clearly, everyone believes what the IRS did is wrong.

What a revelation!

Go fuck yourself
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

theohall wrote:
Zekester wrote:quit following me around.

freak.
Why? Simply because you completely believe everything the know-nothing Officer Bar Brady administration tells you?

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.
You DO realize Zekester is on your side, right?
Covfefe!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

fuck you too, hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Now you're just lashing out blindly, aren't you? You've made it clear you hate the current administration and I was pointing that out to hall.

Although watching you guy's turn on each other would be funny.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

Just picture Zek as my favorite comedian and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcYTQokKdIg
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

[mod hat] Everyone keep it clean and civil. [/mod hat]
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Okay here are my thoughts on the current direction of the thread:

1. Zeke, you're certainly entitled to your opinion but if there are folks who think it's silly they're going to point it out in a variety of ways.

2. Zeke you are entitled to defend your opinion and I like to allow a bit of back and forth keeping in mind that things could get a little testy in the exchange. That sort of thing happens with discussions whether it be political, sports, Xbone vs PS4, etc.

3. We've reached the point where we are just pushing buttons and that's where I feel that I have to intervene. So no more telling folks to fuck off, Zeke (there's a lot of fuckery going around this week) and I think we all know where many folks stand on Zeke's opinion on this topic so I think it's best that we all just back away from the keyboard right now unless we have something else to post about the topic that doesn't concern Zekester.

Have a good night all.

Edit: Son of a bitch! Beat out again! Yeah, what Arcanis said!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

$iljanus wrote:Okay here are my thoughts on the current direction of the thread:

1. Zeke, you're certainly entitled to your opinion but if there are folks who think it's silly they're going to point it out in a variety of ways.

2. Zeke you are entitled to defend your opinion and I like to allow a bit of back and forth keeping in mind that things could get a little testy in the exchange. That sort of thing happens with discussions whether it be political, sports, Xbone vs PS4, etc.

3. But we've reached the point where we are just pushing buttons and that's where I feel that I have to intervene. So no more telling folks to fuck off, Zeke (there's a lot of fuckery going around this week) and I think we all know where many folks stand on Zeke's opinion on this topic so I think it's best that we all just back away from the keyboard right now unless we have something else to post about the topic that doesn't concern Zekester.

Have a good night all.

Nice.

So once again no mention of what prompted my lashings?
Fuck you too, Siljanus. Just kick me off of this boat. I no longer like the ride.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It never ceases to amaze me the hills that people choose to die on.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Smoove_B wrote:It never ceases to amaze me the hills that people choose to die on.
You misunderstand.

I wish to leave this hill, not die on it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Then I will leave you with one of my favorite zen stories:
A senior monk and a junior monk were traveling together. At one point, they came to a river with a strong current. As the monks were preparing to cross the river, they saw a very young and beautiful woman also attempting to cross. The young woman asked if they could help her.

The senior monk carried this woman on his shoulder, forded the river and let her down on the other bank. The junior monk was very upset, but said nothing.

They both were walking and senior monk noticed that his junior was suddenly silent and inquired “Is something the matter, you seem very upset?”

The junior monk replied, “As monks, we are not permitted a woman, how could you then carry that woman on your shoulders?”

The senior monk replied, “I left the woman a long time ago at the bank, however, you seem to be carrying her still.”
Rip

Post by Rip »

Hailing Hell's Taco.

I need to commision a grand work of art commemorating this momentous occasion.

:ninja:
Last edited by Rip on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

what is taking the ban so long this time?

fuck it, i'll just have to do it myself.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Come on you know how we operate. Executions have a protocol that must be followed.

Cigarette?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:Then I will leave you with one of my favorite zen stories:
You sure know how to koan a phrase.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zarathud is the government? Well, bust my buttons.

When I started this thread I thought the IRS story was the most damning of the several scandals that were gaining traction at the time. The evidence that's come out in the weeks since then has proven otherwise. So I've changed my mind.

You ought to try that sometime.

If new evidence comes out that bolsters the original accusations I'll change it back. Paranoia and name-calling aren't evidence, but that appears to be what the "anti" side is down to.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Kraken wrote:

When I started this thread I thought the IRS story was the most damning of the several scandals that were gaining traction at the time. The evidence that's come out in the weeks since then has proven otherwise. So I've changed my mind.

If new evidence comes out that bolsters the original accusations I'll change it back. Paranoia and name-calling aren't evidence, but that appears to be what the "anti" side is down to.
I'm not on any side except the one that thinks the government will lie when it thinks it can get by with it and will result to just about anything to keep those lies secret.

Paranoia sure, name calling not my cup of tea.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zekester wrote:
$iljanus wrote:Okay here are my thoughts on the current direction of the thread:

3. But we've reached the point where we are just pushing buttons and that's where I feel that I have to intervene. So no more telling folks to fuck off, Zeke (there's a lot of fuckery going around this week) and I think we all know where many folks stand on Zeke's opinion on this topic so I think it's best that we all just back away from the keyboard right now unless we have something else to post about the topic that doesn't concern Zekester.

Have a good night all.

Nice.

So once again no mention of what prompted my lashings?
Fuck you too, Siljanus. Just kick me off of this boat. I no longer like the ride.
Well now, I thought I was rather clear about folks not piling on you in personal thought #3 but I guess nuance is a tricky thing. Probably should have said "pushing Zeke's buttons" but oh well. And as for you asking to be banned, being that it's a Friday night and all the wheels of moderation bureaucracy may tend to move a little slow but I suspect we can oblige you. You can certainly help out and leave the thread.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Not sure what a ban would accomplish, really*. Anyone's free to leave any time they want.

*Other than feeding somebody's persecution complex
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

silverjon wrote:Not sure what a ban would accomplish, really*. Anyone's free to leave any time they want.

*Other than feeding somebody's persecution complex
Yeah like the good witch said in that movie, you can go home at any time.
Black lives matter!

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

it's akin to suicide by cop, I think.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rip wrote:
Kraken wrote:

I'm not on any side except the one that thinks the government will lie when it thinks it can get by with it and will result to just about anything to keep those lies secret.

Paranoia sure, name calling not my cup of tea.
You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you. And I don't shrug off that generalization, either. In this specific case, though, the IRS was more ham-handed than malevolent.

It's plain to everyone who was doing the name-calling.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

silverjon wrote:Not sure what a ban would accomplish, really*. Anyone's free to leave any time they want.
I would refuse his demands. You can't give the terrorists what they want.

This may be the first time I've seen someone request a ban because they want to leave the forums. Just leave the forums. Why does that require moderator intervention?
Make up bags of change
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

RunningMn9 wrote:

This may be the first time I've seen someone request a ban because they want to leave the forums. Just leave the forums. Why does that require moderator intervention?
Because Zeke can't just leave. He always comes back and stirs up more trouble.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not sure. I think it's really about the theme of this entire thread:
msduncan wrote:No. What's bullshit is the length at which liberals, this forum in particular, and democrats will go to rationalize, diminish, or distract from an offense of the worst kind in government discussion: using powerful government forum agencies moderators to target political opponents Zekester.

The sheer amount of bullshit rationalizing and dismissing going on here is mind blowing.
Holman

Post by Holman »

RunningMn9 wrote:

He doesn't get the virgins if he just quits.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm not sure. I think it's really about the theme of this entire thread:
msduncan wrote:No. What's bullshit is the length at which liberals, this forum in particular, and democrats will go to rationalize, diminish, or distract from an offense of the worst kind in government discussion: using powerful government forum agencies moderators to target political opponents Zekester.

The sheer amount of bullshit rationalizing and dismissing going on here is mind blowing.
When you put it that way I feel like Lee Harvey Oswald acting at the behest of shadowy interests. So used...so carelessly used by the Quinoa conglomerates and the hemp lobby.

And on that note we should try and turn the discussion back toward the IRS and away from Zekester. Thanks and have a great weekend!
Black lives matter!

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

pr0ner wrote:
Because Zeke can't just leave. He always comes back and stirs up more trouble. adds more drama and color.
I enjoy reading vehement dissent if it's civil. I don't appreciate personal attacks and obscenities, but I see those from both sides. And no, I don't care who started it.

If this were a democracy I'd vote against banning Zeke, but at the same time I'd urge him to back up his strong opinions with evidence and reasoning. Otherwise they contribute nothing but hard feelings.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was talking with one of my IRS clients yesterday about how this whole thing has affected them. She's in SBSE (Small Business Self Emplyed) Compliance, which is a completely different division that has nothing to do with processing 501(c)(4) applications. She said this issue has forced them to completely revamp how they process any data through their systems. Any data (applications, returns, tax forms, etc.) that was previously lumped together for ease of processing is now being reexamined for fear that it might be seen as somehow political. They were extremely backlogged before (mainly due to being staffed at around 80% capacity), and she said that now it's going to going to take twice as long to get anything done because they have to be so cautious about if/how they batch process data.

You thought people were pissed about how slow and ponderous the IRS was before...you ain't seen nothin' yet.
RunningMn9 wrote:This may be the first time I've seen someone request a ban because they want to leave the forums. Just leave the forums. Why does that require moderator intervention?
If he leaves on his own, he can't play the "evil liberals kicked me out for my political beliefs" martyr card.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

So you're saying the inside scoop to the overreaction on the political cases is to overreact even more. And the GOP is going to use the slowness from this and the sequester as proof government doesn't work.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon