Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

SCOTUS Watch

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: SCOTUS Watch

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:32 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:01 pm Josh Barro Retweeted
Sam Stein
@samstein

NEW — Liberals, led by @brianefallon are quick out of the gate this morning calling on Justice Breyer to retire

https://politico.com/news/2021/01/06/li ... ire-455321

According to Al Franken, there is no minimum age for a Supreme Court Justice. He suggested the Democrats appoint a 12 year old to have 80 or so years of service.
Just saying, my daughter is turning 12 in July. She's pretty sharp, and strongly supported Biden.
While she seems like a good candidate on the surface, I've heard that there are . . . issues . . . with some members of her family that might make confirmation difficult.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:48 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:32 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:01 pm Josh Barro Retweeted
Sam Stein
@samstein

NEW — Liberals, led by @brianefallon are quick out of the gate this morning calling on Justice Breyer to retire

https://politico.com/news/2021/01/06/li ... ire-455321

According to Al Franken, there is no minimum age for a Supreme Court Justice. He suggested the Democrats appoint a 12 year old to have 80 or so years of service.
Just saying, my daughter is turning 12 in July. She's pretty sharp, and strongly supported Biden.
While she seems like a good candidate on the surface, I've heard that there are . . . issues . . . with some members of her family that might make confirmation difficult.
FAKE NEWS!

Meanwhile, people are raising troubling questions about the ImLawChildren.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Nothing to see here. Just the Supreme Court rushing to rubber stamp and fast track another emergency order by the worst administration in American history.

Sotomayor wrote:After seventeen years without a single federal execution, the Government has executed twelve people since July. They are Daniel Lee, Wesley Purkey, Dustin Honken, Lezmond Mitchell, Keith Nelson, William LeCroy Jr., Christopher Vialva, Orlando Hall, Brandon Bernard, Alfred Bourgeois, Lisa Montgomery, and, just last night, Corey Johnson. Today, Dustin HIggs will become the thirteenth. To put that in historical context, the Federal Government will have executed more than three times as many people in the last six months than it had in the previous six decades.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just think about how evil it is to put people to death just because you can.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:24 am Just think about how evil it is to put people to death just because you can.
I dunno, what's the point of being king if you can't yell "Off with their heads!"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Black Lives Matter

Unrelated: "It's its own cloaca, shaped in its perfect, unique way"
malchior

Post by malchior »

This run was truly unprecedented and I'm glad for Sotomayor's voice at least calling out the obvious inequity of the court this year. I'm not even necessarily 100% opposed to a dealth penalty but there was some sudden decision to empty out death row in the Federal system and the SCOTUS essentially enabled it. They were more than happy to just step on the gas and shortcut the appeals process for many of these people. And that fit the pandemic-wide pattern where the Government came to them with some emergency appeal and they simply granted it without comment.

So now in a few weeks time we will see if they are truly partisan or not. When Biden's Government brings emergency orders to them will they show this deference to the Government? Will they delay cases in the President's favor? When the Biden is looking to expedite something will they allow the Government to take short cuts on cases? Time will tell.