Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

SCOTUS Watch

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: SCOTUS Watch

Post by LawBeefaroni » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Blackhawk wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:06 pm
The only real solution I see is to reset the system entirely. Districting this way doesn't work, and is very prone to abuse and imbalance. There has to be a better way.
#of reps per state is based on population. Anyone can run so long as they submit candidacy documents and pass background check. Candidates are elected via lottery system, or maybe a ranked choice system.

Midway through the term, there is a statewide confidence vote on each Rep. If they receive less than 40%, they are publicly executed. No replacements are selected until the next election.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:14 pm

My thought was more along the lines of: Reps per state according to population, divided according to registered voter affiliation. So, if you got 50 reps in a state that was 40% Dem, 50% Rep, and 10% independent, you'd have 20 Ds, 25 Rs, and 5 independents. Each party could then vote their own candidates in to fill their allotted 'slots.' Rs vs Rs, Ds vs Ds, etc. Obviously there would be wrinkles to be ironed out, but at least congress would match the populace.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

Fireball

Post by Fireball » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:12 am

Lots of bad ideas here.

Non-single member Congressional districts have been severe Constitutional issues, and likely aren’t coming back anytime soon.

The California redistricting system, or the Iowa redistricting system, should be adopted nationwide. Both produce fair districts that are reasonably competitive in aggregate.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)

malchior

Post by malchior » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:25 am

SCOTUS to take on Bridgegate appeal.

I can't help but think this might be eventually seen as another partisan use of the court to protect bad conduct by Republican actors. I hope this won't be the case because this was ridiculous conduct that endangered people's lives for partisan bullying. However, I can't help but think that after the bullshit outcome of the McDonnell case that this set of jurists won't overturn it.