Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

User avatar
Alefroth
Posts: 4357
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:56 pm
Location: Bellingham WA

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Alefroth » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:38 pm

stessier wrote:I'm curious who he is arguing against. Is there a group out there supporting unequal pay?
Employers.

User avatar
stessier
Posts: 24178
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm
Location: SC

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by stessier » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:40 pm

Alefroth wrote:
stessier wrote:I'm curious who he is arguing against. Is there a group out there supporting unequal pay?
Employers.
None of the ones I've heard of.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles

User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 11385
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by ImLawBoy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:48 pm

My guess is that while most people give lip service to equal pay for equal work, there's still a disparity in pay, and he's saying we need to do something about that.
We had subs. It was crazy

User avatar
stessier
Posts: 24178
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm
Location: SC

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by stessier » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:56 pm

I think we need to define what we mean by equal pay for equal work.

In the salary ranks, it just doesn't work that way. Anywhere that gives raises based on a percentage increase, women will fall behind if they take time off for having children. Or what about negotiating for pay? Some people are good at it, some aren't. I don't know if there is a gender effect, but that will effect it as well. Heck, two guys can be doing the same job and not get paid the same in the salary world.

Hourly workers are a bit more straightforward but even then reviews can make a difference. Over a workforce I could see it averaging out (there are as many good reviews as bad for each gender), but individuals can still be outliers.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40366
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by GreenGoo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:57 pm

Cue Nox to explain to us it's not gender that is causing the gap, but the behaviour that genders typically engage in that is the problem. I.e. less seniority/experience due to maternity leave and such.

It's a compelling argument, but I'm not sold on it, yet.

User avatar
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin
Posts: 11385
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by ImLawBoy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:07 pm

It's definitely complicated - no argument there. I agree with a lot of Nox's points on the cause, in fact. I was just trying to point out that the Pope isn't necessarily arguing against anyone trying to maintain the wage gap - he's just trying to build additional pressure to close the wage gap.
We had subs. It was crazy

User avatar
stessier
Posts: 24178
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm
Location: SC

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by stessier » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:16 pm

I guess my point is I'm not sure how much of a gap actually exists. More pressure to at least look at the issue is good. I'm just not going to be all that disappointed/shocked to learn there's little to be done.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles

User avatar
noxiousdog
Posts: 23139
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by noxiousdog » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:21 pm

GreenGoo wrote:Cue Nox to explain to us it's not gender that is causing the gap, but the behaviour that genders typically engage in that is the problem. I.e. less seniority/experience due to maternity leave and such.

It's a compelling argument, but I'm not sold on it, yet.
Partly. The studies are pretty clear that all but 7% can be accounted for when experience and education are accounted for. However, there is still a 7% "gap."

The best guess I've heard is that women do not negotiate salary as hard as men do. There are studies that back that up. It is unknown why. It may be perception (they won't pay me any more). Some may be estrogen vs. testosterone. Some may be society (women take more time off to take care of the kids and don't pursue networking/career as aggressively).

I have yet to see the company that consistently pays anybody more than they have to, so I have difficulty believing it is because they like men better.
My continuing adventures of learning to play piano. - Now Playing Moonlight Sonata

Amazon Kindle Book Loaning Thread

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 13630
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Zarathud » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:41 pm

ImLawBoy wrote:I like hearing that from the Pope. Maybe he should expand that whole women's rights thing into the priesthood, though . . . .

(Am I going to get excommunicated for that?)
My wife's uncle wrote a whole book on Faithful Dissent in the Catholic Church and helped start a group advocating for women priests. He died a member of the church with 10 different priests vying to conduct his funeral rites.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

User avatar
Moliere
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Walking through a desert land

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Moliere » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:31 pm

Gay sex is compared to sticking a bagel in your ear at Catholic conference. :pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26878
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
HITMAN™ 2

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Rip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:33 pm

Moliere wrote:Gay sex is compared to sticking a bagel in your ear at Catholic conference. :pop:
Do you like cream cheese on your bagel?

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45809
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by LawBeefaroni » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:38 pm

Rather, Catholics are bringing the “good news” of the gospel and Jesus Christ, he said. He compared leading gays out of same-sex relations to Moses leading people out of slavery in Egypt.

...

“This is the question which is asked by junior-high kids: Why does God hate gays?” Riccardo said. Riccardo said he responds in terms that can relate to younger folks without being too explicit.

“Here’s the image that I use,” Riccardo said. He said he tells the students, what if ‘I just rip open a bagel, I take it, and I cram it in my ear. What would you say?’

He said, the kids respond: “That doesn’t go there.”

“I say, ‘Exactly.’ ”

“That will ruin your ear canal,” Riccardo said.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 39218
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Smoove_B » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:41 pm

Ugh.
At the conference, a popular Catholic priest in metro Detroit, the Rev. John Riccardo of Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish in Plymouth, told about how a family member of his wrestles with how to deal with a gay child.
I hope he's telling them to seek advice from someone that actually cares. I cannot ever imagine uttering the phrase, "Help me deal with my gay child."

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45809
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by LawBeefaroni » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:39 pm

Smoove_B wrote:Ugh.
At the conference, a popular Catholic priest in metro Detroit, the Rev. John Riccardo of Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish in Plymouth, told about how a family member of his wrestles with how to deal with a gay child.
I hope he's telling them to seek advice from someone that actually cares. I cannot ever imagine uttering the phrase, "Help me deal with my gay child."
Nah. Of course not.
Riccardo said the family member allows the gay partner of her child into her home and doesn’t exclude her. Riccardo said his family member has said: “If this person doesn’t come in my house, they may never hear the gospel. ... I want them to encounter Jesus.”
...
At the same time, his family member “is very firm and clear with her child,” Riccardo said. She said she tells her child “when you are here, you will not sleep together (with your gay partner) ... because I think that’s harmful and here are the reasons why.”
Come listen to me proselytize but no sex. Love the sinner, hate the horrific abomination of nature that makes up much of their identity.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 13630
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Zarathud » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:36 pm

Goes without saying. The prospect of getting caught having sex at your parent's house is harmful at any age -- regardless of orientation.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

User avatar
Moliere
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Walking through a desert land

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Moliere » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:35 am

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26878
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
HITMAN™ 2

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Rip » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:38 am


User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40366
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by GreenGoo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:29 pm

Why hasn't your country put them in jail?

User avatar
Moliere
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Walking through a desert land

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Moliere » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:49 pm

GreenGoo wrote:Why hasn't your country put them in jail?
Because they're not minorities using drugs.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45809
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by LawBeefaroni » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:55 pm

GreenGoo wrote:
Why hasn't your country put them in jail?
That annoying due process and/or cash payouts.
Another priest we tracked down, Father Federico Fernandez Baeza, was indicted by a grand jury in 1987 on two second-degree felony charges of indecency with a child. A family in San Antonio, Texas accused Fernandez in a civil lawsuit of ritually raping two brothers over a two-year period. Prosecutors dropped the criminal case after the diocese of San Antonio reportedly paid the family more than $1 million.


Well, and one of the five did his molesting in Belgium (allegedly). Can't put him in jail here.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40366
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by GreenGoo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:48 am

I like due process, and that was my point.

Now bribing the victims is a different matter.

User avatar
Moliere
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Walking through a desert land

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Moliere » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:55 pm

Good job Frank, way to show you're different than the previous popes.

Vatican fires gay priest from his post on eve of synod
The Vatican on Saturday fired a monsignor who came out as gay on the eve of a big meeting of the world's bishops to discuss church outreach to gays, divorcees and more traditional Catholic families.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26878
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
HITMAN™ 2

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Rip » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Moliere wrote:Good job Frank, way to show you're different than the previous popes.

Vatican fires gay priest from his post on eve of synod
The Vatican on Saturday fired a monsignor who came out as gay on the eve of a big meeting of the world's bishops to discuss church outreach to gays, divorcees and more traditional Catholic families.


It is a New Day in the Catholic Church.

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7506
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Max Peck » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Moliere wrote:Good job Frank, way to show you're different than the previous popes.

Vatican fires gay priest from his post on eve of synod
The Vatican on Saturday fired a monsignor who came out as gay on the eve of a big meeting of the world's bishops to discuss church outreach to gays, divorcees and more traditional Catholic families.
From what I've read, he's not just gay, he's in a relationship (i.e. not remaining celibate). If he had disclosed that he was in a such a relationship with a woman, would he have remained in his position? Should he have immunity from the repercussions of violating his vows just because he's gay?
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40366
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by GreenGoo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:00 pm

In don't understand. The Catholic church has not changed its stance on homosexuality, and it is still considered a sin.

What did you expect would happen?

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17761
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Defiant » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:25 pm

GreenGoo wrote:In don't understand. The Catholic church has not changed its stance on homosexuality, and it is still considered a sin.

What did you expect would happen?
Cover it up for half a century? :ninja:

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7506
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Max Peck » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:32 pm

GreenGoo wrote:In don't understand. The Catholic church has not changed its stance on homosexuality, and it is still considered a sin.

What did you expect would happen?
Me? I'm questioning why this is only being framed in the context of a priest being dismissed from a Vatican postion because he announced that he was gay, when it seems likely that a heterosexual priest who announced to the world that he was in a sexual relationship with a woman would also have been dismissed.
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
Fireball
Posts: 4516
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:43 pm

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Fireball » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:40 pm

Max Peck wrote:
Moliere wrote:Good job Frank, way to show you're different than the previous popes.

Vatican fires gay priest from his post on eve of synod
The Vatican on Saturday fired a monsignor who came out as gay on the eve of a big meeting of the world's bishops to discuss church outreach to gays, divorcees and more traditional Catholic families.
From what I've read, he's not just gay, he's in a relationship (i.e. not remaining celibate). If he had disclosed that he was in a such a relationship with a woman, would he have remained in his position? Should he have immunity from the repercussions of violating his vows just because he's gay?
Exactly.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 17141
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Unagi » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:23 am

Max Peck wrote:
Moliere wrote:Good job Frank, way to show you're different than the previous popes.

Vatican fires gay priest from his post on eve of synod
The Vatican on Saturday fired a monsignor who came out as gay on the eve of a big meeting of the world's bishops to discuss church outreach to gays, divorcees and more traditional Catholic families.
From what I've read, he's not just gay, he's in a relationship (i.e. not remaining celibate). If he had disclosed that he was in a such a relationship with a woman, would he have remained in his position? Should he have immunity from the repercussions of violating his vows just because he's gay?
Well, if only this other male was a child, then we would just see the priest moved to a new parish, right? Not lose his job.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45809
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by LawBeefaroni » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:35 am

Unagi wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
Moliere wrote:Good job Frank, way to show you're different than the previous popes.

Vatican fires gay priest from his post on eve of synod
The Vatican on Saturday fired a monsignor who came out as gay on the eve of a big meeting of the world's bishops to discuss church outreach to gays, divorcees and more traditional Catholic families.
From what I've read, he's not just gay, he's in a relationship (i.e. not remaining celibate). If he had disclosed that he was in a such a relationship with a woman, would he have remained in his position? Should he have immunity from the repercussions of violating his vows just because he's gay?
Well, if only this other male was a child, then we would just see the priest moved to a new parish, right? Not lose his job.
Admitting you're dismissing a priest because they were in a legal, consensual sexual relationship is not a huge thing. It doesn't need covering up. Admitting you're dismissing them because they criminally abused minors while hiding behind the cloth is a different matter.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 17141
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Unagi » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:38 am

true

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26878
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
HITMAN™ 2

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Rip » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:41 am

I would think admitting you failed to dismiss them because they criminally abused minors while hiding behind the cloth would be even worse.

But hey glass houses and stones and all. If he is going to be lecturing everyone else he should expect a good dose of his own house being thrown under the light.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45809
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by LawBeefaroni » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Rip wrote:I would think admitting you failed to dismiss them because they criminally abused minors while hiding behind the cloth would be even worse.
Institutionally? Probably. But when you're an individual bishop or cardinal or whatever administrator, hope to cover the whole thing up springs eternal. Especially when you've seen it done successfully before.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 45809
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:03 pm

Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 59757
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Online

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri May 06, 2016 3:38 pm

I have a dream
On Friday, Pope Francis delivered his own “I have a dream” address, in this case dedicated to Europe, calling the continent to undergo a “memory transfusion” to avoid the mistakes of the past and to pursue a future based on economic justice, openness to newcomers, respect for life in all its stages, and dialogue with everyone.

“I dream of a Europe that is young, still capable of being a mother: a mother who has life because she respects life and offers hope for life,” Francis said on Friday, as he was accepting the prestigious Charlemagne Prize, given yearly to personalities or institutions for their efforts towards European unity.
Silver - 1k

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 20686
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Holman » Fri May 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Giving a pope the "Charlemagne Prize" is just one of history's little ironies...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 59757
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Online

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:33 pm

Spreading Fake News?
Pope Francis compared media outlets that spread disinformation and cover scandals to smear politicians to people who become aroused by excrement.

In an interview with the Belgian Catholic weekly "Tertio," Francis said scandal-mongering media outlets risk falling prey to coprophilia, or arousal from excrement, and the consumers risk coprophagia, or eating excrement.

"I think the media have to be very clear, very transparent, and not fall into — no offense intended — the sickness of coprophilia, that is, always wanting to cover scandals, covering nasty things, even if they are true," he said, according to Reuters.

"And since people have a tendency towards the sickness of coprophagia, a lot of damage can be done."

The pope also warned that spreading disinformation is "probably the greatest damage that the media can do" because "it directs opinion in only one direction and omits the other part of the truth."
Silver - 1k

User avatar
AWS260
Posts: 10259
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by AWS260 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:01 pm

His Holiness Pope Francis: "Stop eating shit."

User avatar
AWS260
Posts: 10259
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by AWS260 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:03 pm

The Knights of Malta, better known as the Knights Hospitaller heavy cavalry unit in Medieval 2: Total War, just got the Francis treatment.
The showdown between the Vatican and the Knights of Malta has come to a brusque end, with the leader of the historic sovereign order resigning at the apparent request of Pope Francis.

In a statement Wednesday, the Vatican said the pontiff would also be taking over control of the order with the appointment of a new papal delegate in the coming days.
***
The resignation caps an unusually tense month for the prestigious Catholic lay order, which had been openly resisting a Vatican investigation into Festing's firing of one of their top officials. At times it seemed that one of Catholicism's most storied organizations was challenging the authority and power of the pope.
In case you were wondering what the Knights of Malta wear into (bureaucratic) battle these days:
Enlarge Image

User avatar
Sepiche
Posts: 7883
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: Olathe, KS
Sepiche’s avatar
Offline

Re: Pope Francis, changing Christianity?

Post by Sepiche » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:11 pm

AWS260 wrote:Enlarge Image
A girdle one size too large?

Post Reply