Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Shutdown

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:11 pm
Fireball wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:08 pm McConnell controls access to the Senate floor, however. If the House refuses to allow Trump to present the SOTU, I wouldn't be surprised if he does it in the Senate chamber instead, with only Republicans in attendance. The State of the Union as we know it may end up a victim of the Trump Presidency.
That's what I assume Trump / McConnell would do. Though the optics of presenting the SOTU to 53 Senators rather than 500ish representatives and others wouldn't be as good.
Are you kidding? It would be the biggest Senate ever! Easily 6, 7 hundred US senators on hand. They'd be lined up outside just to catch a glimpse!

Crystal ball says:

View outside
Enlarge Image

Gallery
Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:11 pm Though the optics of presenting the SOTU to 53 Senators rather than 500ish representatives and others wouldn't be as good.
Not sure why optics would matter when they consider anyone who doesn't march lockstep with President Dumpy to be "the enemy".
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

It looks like the trap is about to spring. Bureaucrats can be laid off in four more days via reduction in force.
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... _trap.html
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

em2nought wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:03 pm It looks like the trap is about to spring. Bureaucrats can be laid off in four more days via reduction in force.
Let's put millions of people out of work all at once and see what that does to the economy. Great plan!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I can always tell the extreme right-wing sites because they look like something a middle-school kid put together on Geocities in 1997. Bonus points for the 3 dozen ads.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:22 pm I can always tell the extreme right-wing sites because they look like something a middle-school kid put together on Geocities in 1997. Bonus points for the 3 dozen ads.
You made me check the link.
The only thing missing are bad frames on the left with a menu and some text with flames aka Diablo
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This has obviously become an Islamic terrorist invasion, because they're finding prayer rugs at the border now. PRAYER. RUGS.
Ranchers and farmers near the U.S.-Mexico border have been finding prayer rugs on their properties in recent months, according to one rancher who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation by cartels who move the individuals.

The mats are pieces of carpet that those of the Muslim faith kneel on as they worship.

"There’s a lot of people coming in not just from Mexico," the rancher said. "People, the general public, just don’t get the terrorist threats of that. That’s what’s really scary. You don’t know what’s coming across. We’ve found prayer rugs out here. It’s unreal. It’s not just Mexican nationals that are coming across."
You know, just like you always find bibles and crosses strewn about on the ground in the very Christian parts of the US. And, of course, we have full confidence that a rancher in southern New Mexico can accurately distinguish between an actual prayer rug and a random scrap of cloth, right? :lol:

I'm again left to wonder how awful it must be to live in such constant, pants-shitting terror of brown people.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm This has obviously an Islamic terrorist invasion, because they're finding prayer rugs at the border now. PRAYER. RUGS.
Ranchers and farmers near the U.S.-Mexico border have been finding prayer rugs on their properties in recent months, according to one rancher who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation by cartels who move the individuals.

The mats are pieces of carpet that those of the Muslim faith kneel on as they worship.

"There’s a lot of people coming in not just from Mexico," the rancher said. "People, the general public, just don’t get the terrorist threats of that. That’s what’s really scary. You don’t know what’s coming across. We’ve found prayer rugs out here. It’s unreal. It’s not just Mexican nationals that are coming across."
You know, just like you always find bibles and crosses strewn about on the ground in the very Christian parts of the US. And, of course, we have full confidence that a rancher in southern New Mexico can accurately distinguish between an actual prayer rug and a random scrap of cloth, right? :lol:

I'm again left to wonder how awful it must be to live in such constant, pants-shitting terror of brown people.
I know if I lived down there, I'd be chucking carpet scraps over my neighbors' fence just to see them hyperventilate.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Post colleague @ericawerner has obtained draft of bipartisan letter. It includes this line: "We respectfully request that you join us in supporting a short-term CR of three weeks to give Congress time to develop and vote on a bipartisan agreement that addresses your request."
Seems like this would give him a good short-term way to relieve some pressure of everyone not getting paid (everyone collects their back pay before shutting down again) without losing face in any way.

Which, of course, means he won't do it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

em2nought wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:03 pm It looks like the trap is about to spring. Bureaucrats can be laid off in four more days via reduction in force.
Does this make you happy? Who exactly do you think is going to get caught?
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm This has obviously become an Islamic terrorist invasion, because they're finding prayer rugs at the border now. PRAYER. RUGS.

If you think Mexicans are bad, if you think Muslims are bad, imagine the terror that is Mexican-Muslims!
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:51 pm
Post colleague @ericawerner has obtained draft of bipartisan letter. It includes this line: "We respectfully request that you join us in supporting a short-term CR of three weeks to give Congress time to develop and vote on a bipartisan agreement that addresses your request."
Seems like this would give him a good short-term way to relieve some pressure of everyone not getting paid (everyone collects their back pay before shutting down again) without losing face in any way.

Isn't this already a nonstarter?
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 pm

It's Lindsey Graham's suggestion that Trump already rejected. Still, depending on how "bipartisan" it is, and how many signatories are on it, it may raise the pressure on Trump somewhat.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 pm

Maybe, which would further prove that he is a complete sociopath. This move wouldn’t cause him to lose any face with his base or any of his current leverage. If nothing happens that he likes, the government just shuts things down again in three weeks.

Instead, he would prefer that millions of Americans suffer, simply so he doesn’t have to participate in any discussion. That’s not “strength” or “great negotiation”...that’s just being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

We created a new loan purpose code at work: Government Furlough
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:51 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:11 pm Though the optics of presenting the SOTU to 53 Senators rather than 500ish representatives and others wouldn't be as good.
Not sure why optics would matter when they consider anyone who doesn't march lockstep with President Dumpy to be "the enemy".
It's also the wrong kind of furlough for that.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:34 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:51 pm
It's also the wrong kind of furlough for that.
That's one em2nought/Trumpian wet dream that won't come to pass. Good.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's true, however at some point people are going to need to legitimately quit and find work elsewhere - which results in the same thing (an overall reduction in the size of government workforce). The shutdown (and lack of societal collapse) proves (to them) that this is smart and its exactly what Trumpaloos want. In other words, so much winning through stiggin' it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:18 am That's true, however at some point people are going to need to legitimately quit and find work elsewhere - which results in the same thing (an overall reduction in the size of government workforce). The shutdown (and lack of societal collapse) proves (to them) that this is smart and its exactly what Trumpaloos want. In other words, so much winning through stiggin' it.
The general attitude from my conservative family members seems to be, "It hasn't affected me personally (yet), therefore the government shutdown is no big deal." Which tracks 100% with conservatives general lack of empathy towards anyone or anything that isn't them.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:10 amThe general attitude from my conservative family members seems to be, "It hasn't affected me personally (yet), therefore the government shutdown is no big deal." Which tracks 100% with conservatives general lack of empathy towards anyone or anything that isn't them.
Which is how I've personally viewed any Republican for decades, but the theme has moved from something I considered an undertone to being the front line. Maybe some were in it for minimal government. Maybe some were in it to be frugal with spending. Every Republican I've ever known (which is few; I generally don't go out of my way to uncover people's political leaning) has always been willing to push someone else over to grab what they could. As in, it's no surprise when I get cut off on the road by a pickup truck, and it's got a Trump sticker on the back. :?

What blows my mind is how that attitude ties in with so many people who consider themselves good, upstanding religious people. Who then happen to spread hate around on anything they don't understand or disagree with. I sometimes think, as an atheist, my bowel movements have a stronger moral compass than some god-fearing people do.

*Edit: And for the Republicans on this forum, I haven't formed enough of a history with the R&P forum to feel much of one way or another about how you fall in the spectrum for me personally. I pretty much avoided this place until Trump took office, and when I got here it seemed like everyone except MSDuncan, RIP, and EM2 were essentially unified in either confusion or disgust, and it's been increasing since then.

I would love for it to be anything other than an echo chamber, but the distance between what I see as reality and what the GOP supporters see as reality is so vast, it's like trying to get the 12:00 noon and 12:00 midnight to come together.
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isn't it a little weird that there has been no mention out of the Trump camp about the SoTU address? Maybe they haven't told Trump yet. :lol:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

If it's not on his 1-sheet, bullet point, 36-font daily briefing, he won't know he missed it.
Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 pm If it's not on his 1-sheet, bullet point, 36-font daily briefing, he won't know he missed it.
Unless they discuss it on Fox & Friends...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trump has upped the ante in the Pelosi/Trump letter slap fight.

Hodor.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm sure that flying into Afghanistan on a commercial flight is entirely reasonable. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Want to really get his attention?

"Dear President Trump,

I regret to inform you that due to the lapse in appropriations, we have had to eliminate Fox News from the cable package provided to the White House. I'm sure you will understand why this drastic measure needs to be taken, and I look forward to discussing a sensible approach to border security with you soonest.

Sincerely,
Speaker Pelosi"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Every day it just gets worse. This is just so petty. And his followers will LOVE it because they are horrible human beings. :grund:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

So, what Trump did? Apparently way out of line.

Hodor.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Can he actually cancel her travel plans like that?

*Edit: Huh. I guess he can direct the Department of Defense to not support politicians travelling to other regions of the world, and restrict their use of military assets for travel. Admittedly, though, every news article I clicked on (even Fox) said no one knew anything about a trip planned for her.

**EDIT: Which makes sense from a security standpoint. Man, what a douche, ripping open her security plans for the world to see.

***Edit: Oh, damn. It looks like they were even on the bus and getting ready to leave when Trump did this.
Black Lives Matter

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Oh dear.

Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

A thread from Pelosi's chief of staff. Belgium was included for pilot rest, and there was no stop in Egypt planned.

Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well he f'n hates Nato so I guess he killed two birds with one stone. Dear god please make him go away...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

malchior

Post by malchior »

I guess that answers why he was so quiet. Someone must have convinced him that they could pull a senior prank.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Shrug.

If he wants to keep her from doing America's work, I guess that's on him. I'm not really outraged. I expect both sides to start digging the daggers in deep and start twisting soon enough. Well, soon enough is not soon enough, but eventually.

See you when the Meuller report is published, ace.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:11 pm Shrug.

If he wants to keep her from doing America's work, I guess that's on him. I'm not really outraged. I expect both sides to start digging the daggers in deep and start twisting soon enough. Well, soon enough is not soon enough, but eventually.

See you when the Meuller report is published, ace.
I fully expect that the report no matter what it says will not matter. The republicans have shown they give zero shits and it's freaking terrifying. F them all.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Personally I don't care what his base thinks. I care what independents and moderates think.

I've largely given up hope on actual impeachment (barring some crazy level of proven criminal activity that the GOP can't spin away). I'm already looking ahead to 2020, and making sure this shit show doesn't continue another four years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm actually wondering what will be left in two years. Hell the government could still be closed by then the way it's going.

malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:24 pm Personally I don't care what his base thinks. I care what independents and moderates think.
This is the most important aspect. Every President in modern times has moved to enlarge their coalition as they governed. Trump has done the exact opposite. He has driven his coalition away and only kept the hardcore base. That is probably good news for 2020. However, I'm still thinking there is a reasonable chance that 2019 brings information to light that will force a resignation in exchange for walking away clean. That however will make for a very, very messy 2020.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't see anything that will force him from office. Listening to All the President's Lawyers podcast has convinced me his problems are going to be political until he gets out of office. Political problems are meaningless for him, so he'll easily finish his terms (I still think he wins re-election too). What happens after that will be interesting.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:45 pmPolitical problems are meaningless for him, so he'll easily finish his terms (I still think he wins re-election too). What happens after that will be interesting.
I think 2020 is a long-shot now. His coalition is trashed. The mid-term results suggest that he isn't even close in PA anymore. He can't win without PA.