Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Re: Shutdown

Post by Pyperkub »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 am
stessier wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:17 pm as long as he could claim a clear victory.
And therein lies his biggest problem - there is no win unless the other guy loses. He simply does not believe in win-win propositions.
It's not just him. It's the GOP as a whole - the base has been conditioned to believe that pwning the libs is the best (only?) thing for America. Look at that article recently where the Florida person was mad that she was being hurt by the shutdown and said why isn't Trump hurting the "right" people instead of her? Effing disgusting, IMHO.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, I know. It's mostly just cathartic for me to point out his continued idiocy while actual people's lives and careers are burning due to the shutdown.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:51 pm Yeah, I know. It's mostly just cathartic for me to point out his continued idiocy while actual people's lives and careers are burning due to the shutdown.
Which Stephen Miller (probably the author of that "Anonymous" letter - in my opinion at least) saying that the shutdown was good because the "right" people (gov't workers) are being hurt and he doesn't want them anyways.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:55 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:51 pm Yeah, I know. It's mostly just cathartic for me to point out his continued idiocy while actual people's lives and careers are burning due to the shutdown.
Which Stephen Miller (probably the author of that "Anonymous" letter - in my opinion at least) saying that the shutdown was good because the "right" people (gov't workers) are being hurt and he doesn't want them anyways.
It's here (warning: Daily Caller link) for anyone who feels like vomiting a little bit tonight.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:11 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:55 pm
It's here (warning: Daily Caller link) for anyone who feels like vomiting a little bit tonight.
Sometimes I feel as if the GOP Powers that Be won't be satisfied until we are all serfs again.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Latest from Vice President Mike Pence:
Vice President Pence on Tuesday doubled down on the White House’s demand for funding for a border wall, asserting that the Trump administration "will not be deterred" by what he characterized as "Democrats' obstruction."

“It’s time for Democrats in Congress to do their job, negotiate in good faith, and reach an agreement that ends the humanitarian and security crisis at our border and reopens the government. The American people deserve nothing less,” Pence wrote.
Obstruction?

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

“Negotiate in good faith” which in GOP terms means “give us exactly everything we want without anything at all in return or we will make everyone in the country suffer”

Yeah, I’m sure they’ll get right on that.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Pence has picked up a few tricks from McConnell I see.

Good for him. He'll make a great servant of Satan yet. For any religious conservatives out there (not you Grif, this is for the "special" ones), when a left leaning individual mentions Satan, it's usually not a literal reference. We don't usually believe that God is a liberal and hates conservatives. Because that would be asinine and a blasphemous interpretation of God's will. Don't faint on us.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Amazing.

Nancy Pelosi wrote:Today, I wrote to @realDonaldTrump recommending that we delay the State of the Union until after government re-opens, as the @SecretService, the lead federal agency for #SOTU security, faces its 26th day without funding. https://goo.gl/22vzKa
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm... that's an interesting play that never occurred to me. For someone that always wants to be in the spotlight, he may have a hard time with delaying the SotU. Maybe he'll give in if it lets him get in front of the cameras.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Eh, Trump will just bring in the Boy Scouts to watch over things.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

On the flip side, he may just give her the finger and proceed with the SOTU anyways. For literally no other reason than the fact that she requested he not.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Of course he's going to. Why on earth would President Truck Nuts miss the chance to get on television and bloviate about scary brown people trying to kill us all and the Democrats want it to happen?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:47 am Eh, Trump will just bring in the Boy Scouts to watch over things.
But, but the Gays are in the Boy Scouts!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Recall
The Trump administration on Tuesday said it has called back tens of thousands of federal workers to fulfill key government tasks, including disbursing tax refunds, overseeing flight safety and inspecting the nation’s food and drug supply, as it seeks to blunt the impact of the longest government shutdown in U.S. history.

The nearly 50,000 furloughed federal employees are being brought back to work without pay — part of a group of about 800,000 federal workers who are not receiving paychecks during the shutdown, which is affecting dozens of federal agencies large and small. A federal judge on Tuesday rejected a bid by unions representing air traffic controllers and other federal workers to force the government to pay them if they are required to work.
The president struck a defiant tone in a call Tuesday afternoon with supporters, according to audio of the call obtained by The Washington Post, urging them to call Democrats and voice support for the border wall and pledging, “We’re going to win.”

“They’re not being paid right now because of the Democrats,” Trump said of the federal workforce.

“People are impressed with how well government is working with the circumstances we’re under,” the president added.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If there's one thing Trump loves almost as much as himself, it's getting people to work for him without paying them to do so.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:52 am Of course he's going to. Why on earth would President Truck Nuts miss the chance to get on television and bloviate about scary brown people trying to kill us all and the Democrats want it to happen?
Technically, isn't the SOTU address at the invitation of the Speaker of the House? If so, can't Pelosi just not invite him due to the shutdown?
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

NOBODY PUTS PRESIDENT BIG-BOY IN THE CORNER
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That is my limited and only recent understanding of it, yes.

I'm not sure the optics would be acceptable if she did that however.

Still, the Dems really haven't started playing hard ball yet. Might be time to bump it up a notch
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:35 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:52 am Of course he's going to. Why on earth would President Truck Nuts miss the chance to get on television and bloviate about scary brown people trying to kill us all and the Democrats want it to happen?
Technically, isn't the SOTU address at the invitation of the Speaker of the House? If so, can't Pelosi just not invite him due to the shutdown?
As if that would stop Trump.

"What? A disinvitation? I never got it. Are you sure you sent it?"

The question is, could Pelosi block Trump from entering the House?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Defiant wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Sure. Then he'd just do his own broadcast from the White House.

The invitation has always been largely formality. The President wants to give the SotU and the House wants him to do it in their...house. The President would never refuse and the House would never block or not invite the President.

We may be approaching the first exception.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:05 pmThe invitation has always been largely formality.
Plus, as we've learned over the last 2+ years, the Trump administration respects traditions and norms associated with the Office. So I'm sure it's all goign to work out.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Interestingly Steny Hoyer just went a step farther: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ ... nt-reopens
House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) on Wednesday said “the State of the Union is off,” and that it would continue to be delayed as long as the government is shut down.
Seems to me like it's likely to goad Drumpf into doing something to act tough and will create headlines that underscore the seriousness of the shutdown.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Defiant wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Yes. Unlike Presidents Obama or George H.W. Bush, and like Presidents George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter, Trump can't set foot on the floor of the House while the chamber is in session without the explicit approval of the Speaker.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Fireball wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Yes. Unlike Presidents Obama or George H.W. Bush, and like Presidents George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter, Trump can't set foot on the floor of the House while the chamber is in session without the explicit approval of the Speaker.
Is that because the first two were prior members of Congress?
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Defiant wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:56 pm
Fireball wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Is that because the first two were prior members of Congress?
Yup. Former members of Congress have lifetime privileges to be on the floor. Everyone else in the world has to ask permission.
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

But supposing you were a member of the Capital Police (or whoever it is that ensures that nobody unauthorized enters), would you want to risk physically restraining Trump if he were to push his way in? :ninja:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Defiant wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:02 pm But supposing you were a member of the Capital Police (or whoever it is that ensures that nobody unauthorized enters), would you want to risk physically restraining Trump if he were to push his way in? :ninja:
I would pay good money to see that exchange. :pop:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Defiant wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:02 pm But supposing you were a member of the Capital Police (or whoever it is that ensures that nobody unauthorized enters), would you want to risk physically restraining Trump if he were to push his way in? :ninja:
It's possible to passively prevent someone from entering a building/room. The question still stands however.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

McConnell controls access to the Senate floor, however. If the House refuses to allow Trump to present the SOTU, I wouldn't be surprised if he does it in the Senate chamber instead, with only Republicans in attendance. The State of the Union as we know it may end up a victim of the Trump Presidency.
stessier

Post by stessier »

He doesn't have to be invited to fulfill his Constitutional obligation though. He just has to present a report on the state of the union to Congress. He could send over a hand written note with : "State of the Union - The Best!" and have it covered.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:06 pm
I would pay good money to see that exchange. :pop:

That’s not how it works. It’s more like how a vampire cannot enter a home uninvited.
He’d hit an invisible barrier if he tried.
Last edited by Unagi on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Absent an invitation, the President imposing himself upon a Chamber of Congress would be an obscene violation of the separation of powers. I would expect Capitol Police to handle the matter appropriately. Most likely by locking all of the doors.

If push comes to shove, they could always use the Speaker's Mace to encourage him to leave. :)
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:09 pm He doesn't have to be invited to fulfill his Constitutional obligation though. He just has to present a report on the state of the union to Congress. He could send over a hand written note with : "State of the Union - The Best!" and have it covered.
Yup. And then Congress can spend weeks trying to decipher his misspelled ramblings.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's funny that Congress signing intent to pay the workers for this shutdown and all future shutdowns is going to be a predicate for undermining the argument that workers aren't being paid. The payment is just delayed to some 'future time'. Months or years? Who knows - but we are good for it!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:09 pm He doesn't have to be invited to fulfill his Constitutional obligation though. He just has to present a report on the state of the union to Congress. He could send over a hand written notetweet with : "State of the Union - The Best!" and have it covered.
FTFY

Although I would assume he would prefer to be on live TV, not just send over a text.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Defiant wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:14 pm Although I would assume he would prefer to be on live TV, not just send over a text.
Holding up his failed vodka and steaks with the labels prominently showing, with a product order hotline number crawling below, all the while claiming that their failure is fake news.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the state of the union.

I'd buy that for a dollar!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Maybe he does it PPV with a promise to fund the wall with all proceeds going toward the MAGA fund where the president will see every name to know who supported his SotU when it mattered.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fireball wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:08 pm McConnell controls access to the Senate floor, however. If the House refuses to allow Trump to present the SOTU, I wouldn't be surprised if he does it in the Senate chamber instead, with only Republicans in attendance. The State of the Union as we know it may end up a victim of the Trump Presidency.
That's what I assume Trump / McConnell would do. Though the optics of presenting the SOTU to 53 Senators rather than 500ish representatives and others wouldn't be as good.
Black Lives Matter.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:11 pm
Fireball wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:08 pm McConnell controls access to the Senate floor, however. If the House refuses to allow Trump to present the SOTU, I wouldn't be surprised if he does it in the Senate chamber instead, with only Republicans in attendance. The State of the Union as we know it may end up a victim of the Trump Presidency.
That's what I assume Trump / McConnell would do. Though the optics of presenting the SOTU to 53 Senators rather than 500ish representatives and others wouldn't be as good.
They'd cram as many of the 199 House Republicans into the chamber as they could. It'd be... weird.