Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Chrisoc13

Re: Shutdown

Post by Chrisoc13 »

malchior wrote:
noxiousdog wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:36 pm
Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:32 pm I mean...pelosi played political games. Political games were played back to her. Not sure what people were expecting our why people are trying to say what trump did was wrong while what pelosi did is ok. I'm not a trump fan at all but... Pelosi shouldn't have dished it out with her state of the union play if she couldn't take it.

All of that doesn't change that this whole shutdown is stupid, and certainly doesn't mean I'm for the wall. But I must admit I laughed when I saw what trump did. Well played. Well played. Your turn pelosi.
That is a terrible take.

What was the impact of Pelosi's note? Nothing. What was the result of Trumps? A major security violation and cancellation of a meeting with our allies that is already a bit strained.
Totally. Pelosi's move was a bit of grandstanding but Trump can do it in the Oval if he wanted. He can send a letter. Trump's move was to try to put his thumb on the leader of the House. It is *authoritarianism*. No one should be celebrating it.
Who's celebrating it? I can chuckle about it without cerebrating it.

Talk about drama in here. I'm sure our key allies are truly hurt by pelosi not being there. Give me a break. Nobody left in this forum that can possibly be middle of the road. Thanks for the reminder.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:40 pm
pr0ner wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:32 pm I mean...pelosi played political games. Political games were played back to her. Not sure what people were expecting or why people are trying to say what trump did was wrong while what pelosi did is ok. I'm not a trump fan at all but... Pelosi shouldn't have dished it out with her state of the union play if she couldn't take it.

All of that doesn't change that this whole shutdown is stupid, and certainly doesn't mean I'm for the wall. But I must admit I laughed when I saw what trump did. Well played. Well played. Your turn pelosi.
C'mon, man.
I could say the exact same thing. I rolled my eyes reading all of you acting like this was done horrendous move. You think pelosi wasn't just playing games? She was. With trump. It doesn't justify what he did but let's not act like she was innocent in all this. I truly hate that trump is our president, but I can see without blinders that pelosi played her hand and got outplayed.
Apparently, you can't.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

noxiousdog wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:32 pm I mean...pelosi played political games. Political games were played back to her. Not sure what people were expecting or why people are trying to say what trump did was wrong while what pelosi did is ok. I'm not a trump fan at all but... Pelosi shouldn't have dished it out with her state of the union play if she couldn't take it.

C'mon, man.
I could say the exact same thing. I rolled my eyes reading all of you acting like this was done horrendous move. You think pelosi wasn't just playing games? She was. With trump. It doesn't justify what he did but let's not act like she was innocent in all this. I truly hate that trump is our president, but I can see without blinders that pelosi played her hand and got outplayed.
Apparently, you can't.
Haha ok. Blinded by what exactly?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

pr0ner wrote:

C'mon, man.
There's a big difference between Pelosi's posturing and Trump's. It's all on you if you can't see that.
Hodor.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:42 pm Talk about drama in here. I'm sure our key allies are truly hurt by pelosi not being there. Give me a break.
Whether or not the allies are hurt is irrelevant. Trump canceled the Speaker of the House's meetings by violating security protocols.
Nobody left in this forum that can possibly be middle of the road. Thanks for the reminder.
Cute. That's me. In the pocket of the libs. I'm sure most of the forum will get a kick out of that.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

pr0ner wrote:
pr0ner wrote:

C'mon, man.
There's a big difference between Pelosi's posturing and Trump's. It's all on you if you can't see that.
Only in this forum are tears being shed for pelosi on this. But of course in our forum it's a huge sign of a crumblimg democracy.
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote:

C'mon, man.
How was she outplayed? It was another norm smash. It is beyond politics into authoritarianism. Thinking like this is why the country is swirling down the drain into the gutter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:47 pm
pr0ner wrote:
pr0ner wrote:

C'mon, man.
Only in this forum are tears being shed for pelosi on this. But of course in our forum it's a huge sign of a crumblimg democracy.
I'm not shedding tears for Pelosi. Personally I don't like her (because, you know, I'm one of those middle of the road types that allegedly don't exist here). But Pelosi made a suggestion with her letter. Trump went and shit on Pelosi's trip (while Lindsay Graham is off in Turkey, no less) and put people in harm's way. That you can't see the difference remains on you.
Hodor.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Let's just say... I disagree. She got outplayed plain and simple. Dems can't handle it. Sure. Doesn't make the Republicans remotely correct in what they are doing, but... This isn't some constitutional crisis.

I truly don't have time for an OO 25 on 1 discussion anymore in my life so I shouldn't have said anything because now there will be pages and pages of responses to one post. Forget I said anything and live in your bliss of agreement. I don't have time for constant responses every second. I'm out.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Chris, your both-sides-ism appears to be clouding your judgment. These actions are not even remotely equivalent.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, no. Suggesting that the President should find an alternative for the SotUA is completely on the same page as compromising the security of the Speaker of the House, not once but twice (plans for military travel, plans for commercial flight option). Totally equivalent. Why can't you guys see that?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

You're right, that single action in a vacuum by itself does not constitute a constitutional crisis.

Considered in a whole with the other bajillion bits of Trump administration fuckery going on? Different story.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trump could have retaliated by cancelling the plane, but doing it at least minute while leaking the operational info was beyond the line.

Pelosi and Shumer should be beating the drum that they're waiting for a counter offer from Trump, putting the burden on him as the alleged "dealmaker" and daring McConnell to get a backbone to let a vote happen:
"All we need is for McConnell to allow a Senate vote and the House bill will pass."
"Trump says he's a dealmaker, but we haven't seen any real proposal of the wall or an alternative."
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 pm Let's just say... I disagree. She got outplayed plain and simple. Dems can't handle it. Sure. Doesn't make the Republicans remotely correct in what they are doing, but... This isn't some constitutional crisis.

I truly don't have time for an OO 25 on 1 discussion anymore in my life so I shouldn't have said anything because now there will be pages and pages of responses to one post. Forget I said anything and live in your bliss of agreement. I don't have time for constant responses every second. I'm out.
There's a lot of woe is me here, which is especially rich when you accuse the entire forum of having no people who are middle of the road. While the forum is fairly unified against Trump (because he's a special brand of awful), there are plenty of people here still left who would vote for a reasonable Republican candidate over a Democratic one. I should know; I'm one of them.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:58 pm No, no. Suggesting that the President should find an alternative for the SotUA is completely on the same page as compromising the security of the Speaker of the House, not once but twice (plans for military travel, plans for commercial flight option). Totally equivalent. Why can't you guys see that?
Good point. And seriously you just have to laugh at this master play. He has the entire US military at his disposal and he said 'get off my plane!' HI-LAR-I-OUS. You know because the President is sort of back of the classroom funny right. Yelling out stuff like 'Negative Nancy' and shit. What a riot.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 pm Let's just say... I disagree. She got outplayed plain and simple. Dems can't handle it. Sure. Doesn't make the Republicans remotely correct in what they are doing, but... This isn't some constitutional crisis.

The only one that has suggested it's a constitutional crisis is you. The rest of us (and the fact that you're breaking into Dems/Reps is telling) think it's just another example of why Trump is the worst president ever.

The constitutional crisis is that the president is compromised and McConnell refuses to vote to open government.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Edit:. Too slow.

I admire Chris for having the balls to take on the entire forum (edit: This is sincere admiration. It takes courage). That he is so wrong is why it takes balls. It takes a lot of balls to be a flat earther too.

I fully expect daggers and twisting from both sides during this impasse. I did not expect either side violating security protocols to put each other's lives at risk. That's what foreign regimes do to their enemies, not western democracies.

It's all good though. Totally normal for American presidents to put Americans at risk for political gain domestically. It's practically expected at this point.

Way to p0wn Pelosi, Mr. President. Well done.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Maybe I'm being too hopeful, but might that initial line about "everything that we're asking for" that includes mention of technologies and such be a little bit of a crack in the ice? Or at least a way for Trump to pivot and be OK with money for non-wall security measures?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:58 pm You're right, that single action in a vacuum by itself does not constitute a constitutional crisis.
In any other administration it certainly might.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

pr0ner wrote:

C'mon, man.
How do you know she got outplayed? Her whole intent may have been to bait him into a stupid abuse of power.

You may not be a fan of Trump, but if you think he can outplay Pelosi, you give him a lot more credit than most.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:10 pmThe constitutional crisis is that the president is compromised and McConnell refuses to vote to open government.
This needs to hammered every day, multiple times and multiple ways.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:20 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:10 pmThe constitutional crisis is that the president is compromised and McConnell refuses to vote to open government.
This needs to hammered every day, multiple times and multiple ways.
Agreed with examples. The US should never forget.

"One of my proudest moments was when I told Obama, 'You will not fill this Supreme Court vacancy,'"

"Apparently there's yet a new standard now, which is not to confirm a Supreme Court nominee at all. I think that's something the American people simply will not tolerate."

""If we don't get what we want, one way or the other, whether it's through you, through military, through anything you want to call, I will shut down the government. I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down.""

Every day. There is no both sides. There is no game. Fed said it right

You (I?) want to move on but how do you when you also can't move on because you absolutely must "fool me twice and I won't get fooled again."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:38 pm

Every day. There is no both sides. There is no game. Fed said it right

You (I?) want to move on but how do you when you also can't move on because you absolutely must "fool me twice and I won't get fooled again."
Maybe one day McConnell Senate will have the same ring as Vichy France.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:42 pm Edit:. Too slow.

I admire Chris for having the balls to take on the entire forum (edit: This is sincere admiration. It takes courage). That he is so wrong is why it takes balls. It takes a lot of balls to be a flat earther too.

I fully expect daggers and twisting from both sides during this impasse. I did not expect either side violating security protocols to put each other's lives at risk. That's what foreign regimes do to their enemies, not western democracies.

It's all good though. Totally normal for American presidents to put Americans at risk for political gain domestically. It's practically expected at this point.

Way to p0wn Pelosi, Mr. President. Well done.
FWIW I think Pelosi was playing politics with the SOTU, and Trump is playing politics with his reprisal, so they are comparable on that level. Where there's a real difference is in terms of the impact of their moves. The consequences of Pelosi's move is that Trump will have to change the venue or the time of his SOTU. The consequences of Trump's are that real foreign policy trips are being canceled. The latter is all the more an issue because the trip included conferring with NATO allies, and Trump is known to dislike NATO, possibly tying into his Russia connections.

Obviously the consequences of the latter are much more significant.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:02 pm
FWIW I think Pelosi was playing politics with the SOTU, and Trump is playing politics with his reprisal, so they are comparable on that level. Where there's a real difference is in terms of the impact of their moves. The consequences of Pelosi's move is that Trump will have to change the venue or the time of his SOTU. The consequences of Trump's are that real foreign policy trips are being canceled. The latter is all the more an issue because the trip included conferring with NATO allies, and Trump is known to dislike NATO, possibly tying into his Russia connections.

The disparity in threats is important too.

Pelosi: "I'm playing a card that will deny you a formal audience."

Trump: "I'm playing a card that will get you, other congresspeople, your staffs, and teams securing you killed."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:02 pm FWIW I think Pelosi was playing politics with the SOTU, and Trump is playing politics with his reprisal, so they are comparable on that level. Where there's a real difference is in terms of the impact of their moves. The consequences of Pelosi's move is that Trump will have to change the venue or the time of his SOTU. The consequences of Trump's are that real foreign policy trips are being canceled. The latter is all the more an issue because the trip included conferring with NATO allies, and Trump is known to dislike NATO, possibly tying into his Russia connections.

My intent was to communicate similar thoughts on the matter. Pelosi was absolutely playing politics, and so is drumpf.

I'm not a big fan of outing covert CIA agents either for political reasons either.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

So is this when he finally declares a national emergency?

Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Some of those replies are great.

“The National Emergency that didn’t exist for two years, until the very moment Democrats took control of the house.”

“Such an emergency that we’re going to make an announcement on a Saturday afternoon.”

I have to think that he’s either going to declare the emergency, or announce that he’s going to do a short-term reopening to “negotiate”.

I can’t imagine that doing another “Democrats are bad” rant is going to play particularly well to the millions who aren’t getting paychecks right now
Last edited by Skinypupy on Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's totally normal to feel dread when the president announces he's going to make an announcement during times of peace and prosperity.

Completely normal, America.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The announcement sounds like a "deal" negotiated between Pence, Kushner, and McConnell. The only way this works is if it goes something like this, 'Hey guys we've got an amazing idea. We need to drop the wall for now. That sound ok?'

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You can't not listen and you can't not accept a positive resolution but the idea that Pence, McConnell, Kushner, and Trump have any deal I want to be a part of, well, I'm not holding my breath.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Prediction -- Trump hasn't floated this idea past any Democrats.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm guessing his strategy is to reveal "the deal" to the American people via his press conference and then immediately blame the Democrats for refusing to take it.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm still predicting I get furloughed in 2 weeks, as amazing as that sounds.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:48 pm Yeah, I'm guessing his strategy is to reveal "the deal" to the American people via his press conference and then immediately blame the Democrats for refusing to take it.
That's the most likely explanation. "Once I declare a deal publicly, Democrats will have to cave then, right?"

That said, there is an outside chance that this is a way to basically cave while trying to look like they're not losing. E.g., the deal is basically a straight funding deal with some token border security funding - ideally something that Democrats have agreed to previously - invite them to accept your bold new proposal, and when they probably do, declare victory.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I suppose the other plausible thing is that Trump has decided to go the national emergency route, but that he's going to dangle some extreme deal before then (e.g., give me 99.99% of what I want), so that he can declare an emergency more in sorrow than in anger, and try to make the whole thing more politically palatable.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

pr0ner wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:17 am I'm still predicting I get furloughed in 2 weeks, as amazing as that sounds.
Sorry to hear that Pr0ner. A lot can happen in those 2 weeks of course, and everything can turn on a dime. Fingers crossed.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:07 pm The announcement sounds like a "deal" negotiated between Pence, Kushner, and McConnell. The only way this works is if it goes something like this, 'Hey guys we've got an amazing idea. We need to drop the wall for now. That sound ok?'
See, this is why he's a master deal maker. Typically, you negotiate with the other side. Drumpf went a whole different way, and negotiated with everyone who already agrees with him but have no input on whether the deal will be accepted by the side that actually matters.

Genius.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:28 pm Prediction -- Trump hasn't floated this idea past any Democrats.
Absolutely 100% for sure. He's negotiating with public opinion, not Dems. He's amazingly terrible at it, which is kind of shocking, as that is what got him elected in the first place.

what Smoove said.
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:48 pm Yeah, I'm guessing his strategy is to reveal "the deal" to the American people via his press conference and then immediately blame the Democrats for refusing to take it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:49 am
That's the most likely explanation. "Once I declare a deal publicly, Democrats will have to cave then, right?"

That said, there is an outside chance that this is a way to basically cave while trying to look like they're not losing. E.g., the deal is basically a straight funding deal with some token border security funding - ideally something that Democrats have agreed to previously - invite them to accept your bold new proposal, and when they probably do, declare victory.
That's the best-case scenario. I don't care if Trump saves face with his minions, as long as the Dems don't actually cave. I trust Pelosi not to do that ("I trust Pelosi" being words I didn't think I'd ever type).