Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stimpy

Re: Shutdown

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:36 pm
stimpy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:34 pm That's what runs counter to the popular belief here and thats why I feel the need to post otherwise.
Last I heard, it's my right to do so.
Sure it's your right. But stop trying to pretend it's your duty.
You said duty.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It IS a dirty word when some folks try to use it. :P
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:37 pm Sure. You have the right to speak your mind (more or less). And you also have the right to get yelled at if you say something dumb. Don't be a snowflake.
Here we go again.......and just who judges what is dumb? The good folks here?
That's okay....I'll take my chances.
Dumb to you is poetry to another.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:40 pm
NickAragua wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:37 pm Sure. You have the right to speak your mind (more or less). And you also have the right to get yelled at if you say something dumb. Don't be a snowflake.
What are you, Vogon?
He won. Period.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

GreenGoo wrote: That said, I couldn't care less about either of these gaffs. They're both gaffs and that's all. One is a rookie just learning what it means to be under constant scrutiny and media attention, the other is a congresswoman from NY.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Stimpy: Poke, poke, poke
forum: Dude
Stimpy: here we go again. All these mean folks are mean.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:40 pm
What are you, Vogon?
We're #3!!
We're #3!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:45 pm Stimpy: Poke, poke, poke
You shouldn't let a little poking scare or upset you.
I promise to be gentle.
Be thankful I'm containing it to this forum.
That 12" shrinking "joke" was prime for ridicule.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I wasn't talking to you.

At some point you're going to have to let it go. It's clear you're not ready yet.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:59 pm I wasn't talking to you.

At some point you're going to have to let it go. It's clear you're not ready yet.
Nor are you, kettle.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stimpy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:04 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:59 pm I wasn't talking to you.

Nor are you, kettle.
Introspection.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stimpy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:48 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:45 pm Stimpy: Poke, poke, poke
You shouldn't let a little poking scare or upset you.
I promise to be gentle.
Be thankful I'm containing it to this forum.
That 12" shrinking "joke" was prime for ridicule.......
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I have judged that what you say on the matter is dumb. Just as you feel compelled to inform me that the shutdown is "both sides fault", I feel compelled to inform you that your opinion is dumb. Why are you trying to prevent me from expressing my opinion?
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:27 pm
I have judged that what you say on the matter is dumb. Just as you feel compelled to inform me that the shutdown is "both sides fault", I feel compelled to inform you that your opinion is dumb. Why are you trying to prevent me from expressing my opinion?
I would never and did not try to prevent any opinion, opposing or not.
Just pointed out I'm okay with taking my chances that some may feel that way.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stimpy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:07 am
Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:03 am And does this mean stimpy faps to Nancy too?
Better than those that seem to fap to Trump......
Finally, a popular opinion.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

There's a huge difference between one gaffe (or even a few) and daily gaffes. COVFEFE!
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
naednek

Post by naednek »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:22 pm And I think in general, it is (despite pr0ner being clearly wrong in his opinion of Jersey Mike's).
You know, I've tried it 3 times, I've even gotten what friends who love it have suggested, and it just gets a big *meh* from me.

I'm always willing to give it another shot but I'd need a really strong recommendation to do so.
I heard #17 was good...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Let’s stand firm: #Not1Dollar for DHS.
This is an outrage. I'm hearing from TSA workers back in Minnesota who STILL haven't received backpay after the shutdown.

All workers affected by the shutdown—including contractors—deserve backpay!
Who's going to tell her that TSA is an agency of the Dept of Homeland Security? :pop:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Key lawmakers plan to meet Monday afternoon in a late-stage bid to avert another government shutdown, trying to revive talks that derailed over the weekend amid a dispute on immigration enforcement rules.

House Appropriations Chairwoman Nita M. Lowey (D-N.Y.), Senate Appropriations Chairman Richard C. Shelby (R-Ala.), Rep. Kay Granger (R-Tex.) and Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) will attend the meeting, two congressional aides said. The lawmakers lead a bipartisan committee charged with striking a border security deal to stave off a government shutdown at week’s end.

White House officials and congressional aides are watching the outcome of the afternoon meeting closely, believing that it will be a pivotal juncture and determine whether the talks can be rescued.

Lawmakers had hoped to reach an agreement by midday Monday, a timeline they thought was sufficient to win House and Senate approval this week. But talks broke down over the weekend, leading to acrimonious finger-pointing and angry outbursts from President Trump.

To avert a partial shutdown set to begin Saturday, the House and Senate must pass identical spending bills that Trump would then need to sign into law.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I hope people are ready, because my own guess is that there's a 1% chance of this avoiding another shutdown.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The Democrats do not want us to detain, or send back, criminal aliens! This is a brand new demand. Crazy!
Its like he doesn't understand how negotiations work.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Apparently Congress has a deal to fund the government. It's gonna be all on Trump soon.
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I can't recall the source, but didn't I read the other day that Air Traffic Controllers are planning a nationwide sick-out on Day One of a new shutdown?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If the spacing guild refuses to navigate, the emperor will be the one to feel the heat.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 pm Apparently Congress has a deal to fund the government. It's gonna be all on Trump soon.
Noticed BBC noting an agreement in principle. Watching drumpf torpedo it, his base loving it, and the rest of the GOP rolling their eyes should be a lot of fun for spectators, not so much actual government employees.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:05 pm If the spacing guild refuses to navigate, the emperor will be the one to feel the heat.
"The Spice Must Flow! SAD!"
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Good thing America elected a "deal-making" President whose ability to negotiate isn't bigger than his ego or his reputation.

/sarcasm

What a maroon, as the rabbit says.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:11 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 pm Apparently Congress has a deal to fund the government. It's gonna be all on Trump soon.
Noticed BBC noting an agreement in principle. Watching drumpf torpedo it, his base loving it, and the rest of the GOP rolling their eyes should be a lot of fun for spectators, not so much actual government employees.
I'm reading that Trump will sign whatever Congress sends him in order to avoid another spanking like he took over the shutdown. Then he will immediately steal money that was appropriated, but not yet spent, for other purposes (emergency relief for CA and PR, but not TX, is being mentioned, as is the army's construction budget). The WH thinks that's more likely to survive a court challenge than the state of emergency route. By the time it's overturned some construction will have begun, whereupon Trump can point to it and tell his followers that he built their wall. They are easily conned by theatrics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The deal includes $1.375 billion for 55 miles of fences along the border, compared with $5.7 billion Trump had sought for more than 200 miles of walls. The deal omits a strict new cap Democrats had sought on immigrants detained within the United States — as opposed to at the border. At the same time, it limits overall levels of detention beds maintained by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, although GOP aides said ICE would have enough money and flexibility to maintain its current detention levels and add more when needed.
White House officials were reviewing the terms of the deal, and Shelby said he was hopeful Trump would be supportive. But details of the compromise disclosed late Monday quickly came under fire from conservatives, raising the prospect of a backlash from the right that could ultimately render it unacceptable to Trump.

Fox News host Sean Hannity, a Trump confidant, immediately called the shutdown deal a “garbage compromise.”

Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.), a leader of the conservative House Freedom Caucus who talks regularly with Trump, said that it fails to address serious threats.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So the deal limits the number of beds available to ICE, but doesn't lower the cap on the number of people detained?
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kraken wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 pm I'm reading that Trump will sign whatever Congress sends him in order to avoid another spanking like he took over the shutdown. Then he will immediately steal money that was appropriated, but not yet spent, for other purposes (emergency relief for CA and PR, but not TX, is being mentioned, as is the army's construction budget). The WH thinks that's more likely to survive a court challenge than the state of emergency route. By the time it's overturned some construction will have begun, whereupon Trump can point to it and tell his followers that he built their wall. They are easily conned by theatrics.

More details on that lovely plan.
The White House is firming up plans to redirect unspent federal dollars as a way of funding President Donald Trump’s border wall without taking the dramatic step of invoking a national emergency.

Done by executive order, this plan would allow the White House to shift money from different budgetary accounts without congressional approval, circumventing Democrats who refuse to give Trump anything like the $5.7 billion he has demanded. Nor would it require a controversial emergency declaration.

The emerging consensus among acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and top budget officials is to shift money from two Army Corps of Engineers’ flood control projects in Northern California, as well as from disaster relief funds intended for California and Puerto Rico. The plan will also tap unspent Department of Defense funds for military construction, like family housing or infrastructure for military bases, according to three sources familiar with the negotiations.
:roll:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I hope he tries that. It will get bogged down in legal battles, and the Dems can show pictures of half baked construction sites interposed with non-working federal workers to document his failure in 2020.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I suspect they are right that avoiding the label "declaration of emergency" will help this play better politically. Although it still invites a lawsuit and negative coverage attached to that lawsuit, and may well reduce the chance that the move ultimately holds up in court.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's now trying to switch the slogan from "Build the wall" to "Finish the wall". They were even selling signs and t-shirts with that slogan emblazoned on them at his klan rally last night in El Paso.

Optics. It's the only science he believes in.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 amOptics. It's the only science he believes in.
Why shouldn't he? His business magnate facade allowed him to make money off selling steaks, bottled water, education and real estate in NYC. Why should a wall be any different?

EDIT: Wow. I didn't know he also sold Trump-brand deodorant, mattresses, eyeglasses, light fixtures, coffee and perfume.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 am He's now trying to switch the slogan from "Build the wall" to "Finish the wall". They were even selling signs and t-shirts with that slogan emblazoned on them at his klan rally last night in El Paso.

Optics. It's the only science he believes in.
Trump generally is an idiot, but if he has one elite-level skill that he's developed, it's branding and media dynamics.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:57 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 amOptics. It's the only science he believes in.
Why shouldn't he? His business magnate facade allowed him to make money off selling steaks, bottled water, education and real estate in NYC. Why should a wall be any different?

EDIT: Wow. I didn't know he also sold Trump-brand deodorant, mattresses, eyeglasses, light fixtures, coffee and perfume.
Don't forget the vodka. The prescient vodka.

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:57 am
Why shouldn't he? His business magnate facade allowed him to make money off selling steaks,
Simply mentioning Trump steaks makes me remember the hilarious Darth Trump video, then I have to go watch it, and I end up giggling like an idiot for 20 minutes.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

This is what happens when you put all your points into Charisma.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:15 pm This is what happens when you put all your points into Charisma.
Especially when you can't roll higher than a 5 in the first place.