Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Shutdown

Post by Daehawk »

Lol forgot Trump saying that lol. Immigrant lol...and I think he thought he was Dutch.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:12 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:06 pm I would love to see Musk as US President. I cant even imagine all the stuff he could do.
He's an immigrant. You know, from one of those shithole countries.
To be fair, Elon Musk is from one of the few African countries that Trump probably approved of -- until 1994 or thereabouts, anyway. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Could the Budget Deal kill the Freedom Caucus?
In other words, there will be less for the House Freedom Caucus to do, less opportunity to do it and far fewer reasons for others to listen to anything it has to say. Even if it continues to exist, today might well be the day we point to as the moment when the HFC stopped being important and anyone cared about it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I just put together the second "if/when the government shuts down, here's how much revenue we lose" e-mail for my boss in as many months. The number at the bottom makes me cry. :cry:

This shit is getting really old. Go do your fucking jobs, children.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Tomorrow will be business as usual for me no matter what happens. On Monday, if the shutdown happens and persists, the only real impact will be a modification to my schedule as it will have to synchronize with the Army Major assigned to babysit the contractors.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whats Rand up to up there? He seems to actually be talking sense and good reasoning. I must have hit my head or something.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42992908
In a doom-laden speech, the Kentucky politician angrily charged his fellow Republicans with fiscal profligacy.

"I ran for office because I was very critical of President Obama's trillion-dollar deficits," he said. Now we have Republicans, hand in hand with Democrats, offering us trillion-dollar deficits.

"I can't in all good honesty, in all good faith, just look the other way just because my party is now complicit in the deficits."

This would be "the very definition of hypocrisy", he added
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Well, since my agency hasn't been told anything, right now I'm expecting to go into work, put up an out of office message, sign something that says I'm furloughed, and go home.

Oy.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Shutdown is official. The fuckers.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:19 pm Whats Rand up to up there? He seems to actually be talking sense and good reasoning. I must have hit my head or something.

In a doom-laden speech, the Kentucky politician angrily charged his fellow Republicans with fiscal profligacy.

"I ran for office because I was very critical of President Obama's trillion-dollar deficits," he said. Now we have Republicans, hand in hand with Democrats, offering us trillion-dollar deficits.

"I can't in all good honesty, in all good faith, just look the other way just because my party is now complicit in the deficits."

Especially since Obama's biggest deficits came from emergency measures to rescue an economy in freefall, whereas today's proposed deficits will further stimulate an already overheating economy and continue indefinitely. Tax cuts and spending hikes make sense in a recession. Expansions are opportunities to raise taxes, trim spending, and improve the federal balance sheet in anticipation of the inevitable next recession.

Rand Paul is right this time.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Any guesses on what "logic" the Republicans will use to blame this on the Democrats?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fully what I expected.
Any guesses on what "logic" the Republicans will use to blame this on the Democrats?
Probably something to do with Pelosi....somehow.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:42 am Any guesses on what "logic" the Republicans will use to blame this on the Democrats?
It would be so much worse under Crooked Hillary! Remember what her husband did to the deficit. Er, actually, forget that.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

And it's over. The House just passed the Senate's spending bill.

I have to dig in, but I heard somewhere that it contained 1.2 trillion to modernize the nuclear arsenal? That seems like a lot, and I'd potentially be fine with spending some portion of it if it meant improving the ancient systems used to control the existing arsenal. But it sounds like oops, this is largely to build a lot of small, tactical nukes, which we absolutely don't need unless we're planning to get into another large scale shooting war.

Which, I guess, is kinda likely with this administration.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
malchior

Post by malchior »

Not that I want a shutdown but they way they moved forward is ridiculous. They strung together a 'spend wild; bill right after they just passed a huge tax cut. Sorry kids, your parents and grandparents are saddling you with even more debt. Deal with it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:24 am
Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:19 pm Whats Rand up to up there? He seems to actually be talking sense and good reasoning. I must have hit my head or something.

Especially since Obama's biggest deficits came from emergency measures to rescue an economy in freefall, whereas today's proposed deficits will further stimulate an already overheating economy and continue indefinitely. Tax cuts and spending hikes make sense in a recession. Expansions are opportunities to raise taxes, trim spending, and improve the federal balance sheet in anticipation of the inevitable next recession.

Rand Paul is right this time.
Didn't Rand Paul enthusiastically vote for the tax cuts? And this week he's a deficit hawk?

Definition of hypocrisy indeed.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:13 am Shutdown is official. The fuckers.
Well, I was furloughed and I slept right though it...now I'm at work.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yep. A pure publicity stunt for Paul. Adjourned to 12:01 to make it official, then back to pass it in the wee hours.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:57 am Not that I want a shutdown but they way they moved forward is ridiculous. They strung together a 'spend wild; bill right after they just passed a huge tax cut. Sorry kids, your parents and grandparents are saddling you with even more debt. Deal with it.
It's because Republicans favor expansionary fiscal policy when a Republican is president, and contractionary fiscal policy when a Democrat is president.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Please reset your calendars for March 23rd:
Lawmakers extended government funding through March 23 in addition to passing a massive deal to increase investments in domestic programs and the military by roughly $300 billion over the next two years, and they increased the debt ceiling for one year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:52 am Please reset your calendars for March 23rd:
Lawmakers extended government funding through March 23 in addition to passing a massive deal to increase investments in domestic programs and the military by roughly $300 billion over the next two years, and they increased the debt ceiling for one year.
That won't be an issue. This time they only need agreement on the appropriations, not the budget so they'll pass it long before the deadline. :horse:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Except if DACA doesn't get solved by then.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:24 pm Except if DACA doesn't get solved by then.
Your lack of faith is disturbing. DACA is getting fixed next week. They're on a roll.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Rand Paul Single-Handedly Tries to Stop Massive Spending Plan
Paul slammed Republicans and Democrats for agreeing to a budget that independent analysts say will result in a $1 trillion deficit.

"A country cannot go on forever spending money this way," said Paul. "What you are seeing is recklessness being passed off as bipartisanship."

The budget deal would remove limits on military spending imposed by the 2013 sequester would be removed, allowing the Pentagon to receive an additional $80 billion this year and $85 billion next year. Other lids on the discretionary budget would be similarly lifted, allowing for billions of new spending on infrastructure, public health, and disaster aid.

Paul lashed his own party's leaders, saying that Repulicans "are the conservative party" only when Democrats are in power. "When Republicans are in power, there is no conservative party," he added.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And then he voted for it anyway. Those are some strong morals on Paul Ryan.

I screwed up.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

So we've got tax cuts that will result in losing $1.5 trillion dollars, and a spending plan to add $1 trillion dollars in debt.

Am I catching this incorrectly, or did we just double-down on complete insanity?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:03 pm And then he voted for it anyway. Those are some strong morals on Paul Ryan.
Which of you hailed him as policy wonk? Wonk I understand. I never understood the qualifier. Our mess belong to him and Bitch Bickerconnell.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:03 pm And then he voted for it anyway. Those are some strong morals on Paul Ryan.
Rand Paul is a Senator and voted No.
How's that for morals?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Apologies. I got confuzzled. All those Pauls run together after a while.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

And for wanting to have discussion about government spending he receives tweets like this:

"Where’s Rand Paul’s neighbor when we need him?"
Bette Midler
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Celebrity says something stupid.

Someone fetch me my fainting couch!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

And members of his own party:
One retiring Republican lawmaker, Rep. Charlie Dent of Pennsylvania, went even further.

“When Rand Paul pulls a stunt like this, it easy to understand why it's difficult to be Rand Paul's next door neighbor,” said Dent, referring to the neighbor who assaulted Paul last year, breaking several of his ribs and sending him to the hospital. “The whole delay and filibuster exercise on the budget agreement is utterly pointless.”

Paul’s sideshow wasn’t entirely surprising. The arch-conservative has frequently used procedural delay tactics to gum up legislation he opposes, particularly on spending and spying powers, when his opposition was plainly in vain. But the last time he really went there was in 2015, so senators might have downplayed the possibility of it happening this time around.

Paul believed it was entirely appropriate — even necessary — to cause some pain in order to call attention to what he believes is a monstrosity of a bill. He also wanted to highlight the broken process: congressional leaders in both parties dropping a massive and expensive 652-page bill just over 24 hours before the shutdown deadline.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Moliere wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:18 pm
Rand Paul is a Senator and voted No.
How's that for morals?
Well, he did vote for the $1.5T tax cut so it doesn't seem like he's THAT concerned with the deficit.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

To be fair, Paul's preference is almost surely massive tax cuts and massive spending cuts to offset the loss in revenue (plus the (questionable) increase in revenue he believes will be sparked by the tax cuts).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
The House is poised to vote on a bipartisan, $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill as soon as Thursday, less than 24 hours after GOP leaders unveiled the massive package needed to avert a government shutdown this week.

The legislative text of the bill, totaling 2,232 pages, was released Wednesday evening after lawmakers and the White House debated throughout the day over what the final bill would look like.

Conservatives complained bitterly about the rushed schedule and lack of transparency, lamenting that GOP leadership gave rank-and-file members little time to read and study what’s in the bill.

“This process looks really bad; it looks swampy,” said Dan Holler, a spokesman for the outside conservative group Heritage Action.

Throughout the day Wednesday, lawmakers speculated that President Trump was upset with the amount of border wall funding — well below his initial request of $25 billion — and that he might veto the package as a result, forcing the third shutdown in as many months.
The bill, funding the government through the fiscal year ending Sept. 30, finally landed just after 8 p.m. Wednesday.

Because of the time crunch, Republicans could waive their internal rule that requires the House to vote on legislation at least three calendar days after it was introduced. However, there was also talk in the Capitol that the vote could slip until early Friday morning, before a bipartisan delegation flies to Rochester for the funeral of Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-N.Y.).

The omnibus will then head to the Senate, which plans to take up the bill on Friday if all senators agree to a speedy vote. If anyone objects, like Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) did last month, Congress may need to pass a days-long stopgap measure to stave off a shutdown at midnight Saturday. The government is currently operating under its fifth continuing resolution (CR), and GOP leaders are scrambling to avoid the embarrassing optics of requiring a sixth.
A short while later, Ryan set off for the White House to convince Trump that the deal was a good one and to try to quash any further veto chatter. In addition to Ryan and Trump, Vice President Pence, chief of staff John Kelly and White House legislative affairs director Marc Short were on hand. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky) called into the 45-minute meeting.

The spur-of-the-moment visit by Ryan apparently paid off. Within minutes of his departure, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders issued a statement saying Trump backed the omnibus. Another White House official said Trump intended to sign it into law.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Man, that would be some shutdown if Trump vetoed a bill passed by bipartisan majorities and supported by GOP leadership. His numbers would be amazing, just incredible.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They didn't give him enough money for his wall.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:47 am They didn't give him enough money for his wall.
I heard Mexico is going to pay for it. Maybe they're not sending their best.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He forgot to specify that it be in dollars.
malchior

Post by malchior »

They included NJ/NY tunnel funding. Trump can't let 'Cryin' Chuck Schumer' get the last laugh on him!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Wait, the Republicans are complaining about lack of time when they did the exact same thing for the tax bill?

Man every day I'm happy that I ditched the republicans and signed up democrat. I don't agree with everything democrats do but the republicans have lost their way.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"