Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Rip

Re: Shutdown

Post by Rip »

Holman wrote:
Rip wrote:Actually I get news from numerous places.
http://americanglob.com/2013/10/02/barr ... ictionary/
"Earning an entry in the Urban Dictionary" means some wingnut took the time to type one. The Urban Dictionary is an open wiki.
So?

:violin:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So the validity of the entry is almost equal to the one I'm about to put in there that Rip is a low flying bird found mainly in the Peoria, Illinois region that lives almost exclusively on Doritos and diet Mountain Dew.
He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

LIES!!!!!

I DO NOT DRINK DIET!!!!!!

:dance:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, I'll take out diet.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote:So the validity of the entry is almost equal to the one I'm about to put in there that Rip is a low flying bird found mainly in the Peoria, Illinois region that lives almost exclusively on Doritos and diet Mountain Dew.
At first I read that as "low flying turd" and I was like "that's unnecessarily mean".
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At first I read that as "unnecessarily" but then I realized...wait...you DID write "unnecessarily"??

:wink:
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I did, yes.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) took heat from his Republican colleagues Wednesday in a closed-door meeting to discuss the government shutdown, Politico reported.

At the meeting that was hosted by the Senate’s conservative Steering Committee, one GOP senator after another pressed Cruz to offer a proposal to end the shutdown, according to Politico. The junior senator from Texas reportedly had no solution nor could he explain how he would defund the Affordable Care Act – an effort led by Cruz and Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) that served as the impetus for the current shutdown.

“It was very evident to everyone in the room that Cruz doesn’t have a strategy – he never had a strategy, and could never answer a question about what the end-game was,” an unnamed senator told Politico. “I just wish the 35 House members that have bought the snake oil that was sold could witness what was witnessed today at lunch."

At one point in the meeting, Republicans pressed Cruz to tell them what he would have done had the party united behind his call to filibuster a House-passed continuing resolution to keep the defunding hopes alives. Only 19 Republicans backed Cruz's attempt to block the bill.

“He kept trying to change the subject because he never could answer the question,” the anonymous senator said. “It’s pretty evident it’s never been about a strategy – it’s been about him. That’s unfortunate. I think he’s done our country a major disservice. I think he’s done Republicans a major disservice."

The meeting turned quite heated when Cruz was asked if he would renounce the attacks lobbed at Republicans by the Senate Conservatives Fund, a powerful organization that targets moderates in the party.

"I will not," Cruz reportedly said.

The Senate Conservatives Fund has marched in lockstep with Cruz on the defunding campaign, even expanding its scope to target House Republican incumbents.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/r ... or-meeting" target="_blank
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Gotta love a hot mic:
“I just did CNN,” Paul said. “I just said over and over again, 'We're willing to compromise. We're willing to negotiate.' I don't think [Democrats] poll tested 'We won't negotiate.' I think it's awful for [Democrats] to say that over and over again”

"Yeah, I do too,” McConnell said. “I just came back from that two hour meeting with them and that, and that was basically the same view privately as it was publicly.”

"I think if we keep saying, 'We wanted to defund it. We fought for that and that we're willing to compromise on this', I think they can't, we're gonna, I think... well, I know we don't want to be here, but we're gonna win this, I think,” Paul said, before walking away.
Oh yeah, you guys are totally winning this.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I just wish the 35 House members that have bought the snake oil that was sold could witness what was witnessed today at lunch
That unnamed senator is stealing my lines! Of course, I want their constituencies to see their snake oil salesmen selves and then hope they could somehow be reasoned with.

And again, the Republican Party brought this on themselves. They brought up firey dirty players and loudly promised the keys to the kingdom to those that would burn it down as their backbone. Not even Obamacare will scare the moderates back into the fold. I'm not even sure Obama's Justice Department, his version of the Fed, and a Congress that openly bankrupts the country will even get moderates to listen.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Ok, what? The department that does background checks for firearm purchases is still up and running? I know I've fallen on the 'pro-gun' side of most of the gun debates here, but how in the world does that count as an essential service? Does NICS do some other service that's more clearly essential?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Especially since they're usually performed by privately run call centers. Maybe they're like the head start programs and on a rolling funding process...?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

They must have cut money to the NSA, I am finding the internet very slow today.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rip wrote:They must have cut money to the NSA, I am finding the internet very slow today.
Interesting. I am finding OO slow, but nothing else.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Rip wrote:They must have cut money to the NSA, I am finding the internet very slow today.
Wouldn't that make the internet faster? I'm no tubes expert, but I'd think the NSA traffic would slow things down.
Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

El Guapo wrote:
Wouldn't that make the internet faster? I'm no tubes expert, but I'd think the NSA traffic would slow things down.
Not if traffic lacking the "NSA has a copy bit" is blocked. The internet is for the most part a best effort delivery mechanism, I doubt the NSA Mechanism is "best effort". In fact I would suggest when sending an e-mail to a terrorist unless he replies the odds he actually got it far lower than the odds that the NSA got a copy.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote: Not if traffic lacking the "NSA has a copy bit" is blocked. The internet is for the most part a best effort delivery mechanism, I doubt the NSA Mechanism is "best effort".
It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material like the NSA blocking mechanism.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Rip wrote: Not if traffic lacking the "NSA has a copy bit" is blocked. The internet is for the most part a best effort delivery mechanism, I doubt the NSA Mechanism is "best effort".
It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material like the NSA blocking mechanism.

NSA has it's own tubes. No traffic is allowed to leave a provider that hasn't been flagged as permitted by the control mechanism. If they wanted to send every piece of data that contained the word Lawbeefaroni into a black hole it would take mere minutes to make it happen. Well at least in the US, traffic that doesn't originate or leave/enter the country is a little harder.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 31784.html" target="_blank

So the shut down is over right? "Boehner's reasonable" right?
Rip

Post by Rip »

LordMortis wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 31784.html

So the shut down is over right? "Boehner's reasonable" right?
Funny because I just heard one of those guys on Hannity saying no he wouldn't and that he was misquoted.

:liar:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wish I knew what Eco thought of this whole thing. I wonder who he blames?
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote:I wish I knew what Eco thought of this whole thing. I wonder who he blames?
He no doubt has a nuanced and objective view of the situation.
Black Lives Matter.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Especially since they're usually performed by privately run call centers. Maybe they're like the head start programs and on a rolling funding process...?
This is the answer to your question wonderpug. A local gunshop owner was on the radio the other morning and said that his ATF contact told him background checks on purchases are done by private companies thus are unaffected. Background checks for class 3 items, suppressors and machine-guns basically, are not being processed and adding further to that backlog. (He said there are only about a dozen people who perform those checks and it was already a 6-8 month wait, with the shutdown it is expected to become a 8-10 month wait once they get back to work).
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

hepcat wrote:I wish I knew what Eco thought of this whole thing. I wonder who he blames?
My answer to this would surely ruffle too many feathers here. Who CARES??? Not I.

Who the fuck do you think is responsible?

Let me give you a diagram:

Country with $17,000,000,000 in debt and $92,000,000,000 in UNFUNDED liabilities

President of said country RAMs an enormously expensive healthcare bill down the throat of said country, that a MAJORITY of said country doesn't want ( you're damn right I'm not providing links because these are wide spread/ known stats).

You ignorant fucks are the one that lack the information and I quit giving a shit about my discussions with you when hepkitten and his minions showed their ass over the past few years.

If you don't get it it I realize you likely could care less about our country as long as you get to suck it's tit on the way down, or you're just too fucking dumb.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

hepcat wrote:So the validity of the entry is almost equal to the one I'm about to put in there that Rip is a low flying bird found mainly in the Peoria, Illinois region that lives almost exclusively on Doritos and diet Mountain Dew.
And surely as headline-worthy.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fuck off, Eco.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Eco-Logic wrote: RAMs ... down the throat...
when hepkitten and his minions showed their ass ...
...you get to suck it's tit
I'll be in my bunk!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The background checks to tell if a worker is eligible to work in the US have stopped according to our HR person. That could get annoying if this drags on.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love the "My answer to this would surely ruffle too many feathers here. Who CARES??? Not I."

then he launches right into his answer. :lol:

edit: Whoa, it just hit me! When he says "said country", he's talking about the USA! Oh my god, he means us!!!
He won. Period.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

hepcat, please stop baiting him.

Eco, please stop being a dick.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

wonderpug wrote:hepcat, please stop baiting him.

And Smoove I think you might need to lay low for a while.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

If you don't mind Wonderpug I'll borrow your post and make it an official request. And I ask others not to bait Eco. Also if you're going to take the same tone Eco that you've taken in the other political thread perhaps you could just not post.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

LordMortis wrote:
I just wish the 35 House members that have bought the snake oil that was sold could witness what was witnessed today at lunch
That unnamed senator is stealing my lines! Of course, I want their constituencies to see their snake oil salesmen selves and then hope they could somehow be reasoned with.
I was listening to Joe Scarborough mention this particular quote this morning...He also pointed out that it was pretty ironic how those senators were practically tripping over each other to call Politico and report the blow-by-blow of what was supposed to be a private lunch meeting.
Rip

Post by Rip »

gilraen wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
I was listening to Joe Scarborough mention this particular quote this morning...He also pointed out that it was pretty ironic how those senators were practically tripping over each other to call Politico and report the blow-by-blow of what was supposed to be a private lunch meeting.
Yet, still such political chickenshits that would not reveal who they were.

How very politician like of them.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Eco-Logic wrote: My answer to this would surely ruffle too many feathers here. Who CARES??? Not I.

Who the fuck do you think is responsible?

Let me give you a diagram:

Country with $17,000,000,000 in debt and $92,000,000,000 in UNFUNDED liabilities

President of said country RAMs an enormously expensive healthcare bill down the throat of said country, that a MAJORITY of said country doesn't want ( you're damn right I'm not providing links because these are wide spread/ known stats).

You ignorant fucks are the one that lack the information and I quit giving a shit about my discussions with you when hepkitten and his minions showed their ass over the past few years.

If you don't get it it I realize you likely could care less about our country as long as you get to suck it's tit on the way down, or you're just too fucking dumb.
Eco, this isn't your own personal forum to blow off steam. You've been given a lot of rope, enough to hang yourself even, but it's getting old-hat. You don't get to come in and shotgun spurious insults and ad hominem attacks masked as some kind of weak-sauce political rant.

Oh, did I say weak-sauce? Yes. It's allowed when your "wide spread/ known stats" are off by two orders of magnitude. Get your billions and trillions straight before you call others ignorant. And don't call anyone "fucks." Plural or singular.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Back the train up we missed our turn.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Octavious wrote:And Smoove I think you might need to lay low for a while.
If Brick Tamland throwing a Trident into a man on a horse is wrong, then I don't want to be right.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We should all observe that, I'm sure.
He won. Period.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

17,000,000,000,000 in debt and over 91,000,000,000,000 in UNFUNDED liabilities.

Proves my point even more.

The country doesn't want it. Only those of you already on the government tit want it. It's already been detrimental to many and I can't imagine the impact when it's fully implemented.