Shutdown

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Shutdown

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:15 pm This is what happens when you put all your points into Charisma.
Nope. This is what happens when you have an 11 Charisma and put all your skill points into Deception.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 am He's now trying to switch the slogan from "Build the wall" to "Finish the wall". They were even selling signs and t-shirts with that slogan emblazoned on them at his klan rally last night in El Paso.

Optics. It's the only science he believes in.
And that's fine. A year from now let him announce that it's finished. The only people who care are gullible enough to believe him.

One nice side effect of his rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul plan is that Congress will not appreciate having its toes trod upon once again. Congress appropriates money, and they expect it to stay appropriated. Keep on alienating those senators, Donny boy.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Every conservative demanding strict construction of the Constitution should be screaming their rage at the mere possibility of President Trump declaring a phony national emergency and diverting appropriations into wasteful government spending that requires the seizure of private land.

But they won't. Because they're hypocrites who believed rumors about Obama but won't even recognize Trump is openly worse in every sense.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
raydude

Post by raydude »

Kraken wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:05 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 am He's now trying to switch the slogan from "Build the wall" to "Finish the wall". They were even selling signs and t-shirts with that slogan emblazoned on them at his klan rally last night in El Paso.

Optics. It's the only science he believes in.
And that's fine. A year from now let him announce that it's finished. The only people who care are gullible enough to believe him.

One nice side effect of his rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul plan is that Congress will not appreciate having its toes trod upon once again. Congress appropriates money, and they expect it to stay appropriated. Keep on alienating those senators, Donny boy.
As an added bonus, the next time Republicans mention needing a border wall one can point to clips of Trump saying "It's finished" and asking "why spend money for something that's already complete?"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:40 am Every conservative demanding strict construction of the Constitution should be screaming their rage at the mere possibility of President Trump declaring a phony national emergency and diverting appropriations into wasteful government spending that requires the seizure of private land.

But they won't. Because they're hypocrites who believed rumors about Obama but won't even recognize Trump is openly worse in every sense.
As far as I can tell they want to go back to the shutdown. I don't care what the press or Congress say. I don't think a Friday surprise is off the table. He is a lightning rod for the vision of the people who elected him and a shutdown will only make them adore him more. They also really want that wall. They see it as some sort of protection mechanism against their tax dollars paying for schooling or medical or I don't know what for illegals. I lose my ability to focus before I get to the leap of their method for getting their illegal fingers in the treasury.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I think he's confident enough that he can bypass congress for funding that he will sign it. With the appropriate spin about getting everything he wanted and more, of course.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:01 pm I think he's confident enough that he can bypass congress for funding that he will sign it. With the appropriate spin about getting everything he wanted and more, of course.
That, plus Republicans would likely be less patient with him in a second shutdown. And that he doesn't really need to win the bypass Congress fight, so much as he needs to be seen as taking affirmative steps towards the Wall.
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:59 am
Kraken wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 pm I'm reading that Trump will sign whatever Congress sends him in order to avoid another spanking like he took over the shutdown. Then he will immediately steal money that was appropriated, but not yet spent, for other purposes (emergency relief for CA and PR, but not TX, is being mentioned, as is the army's construction budget). The WH thinks that's more likely to survive a court challenge than the state of emergency route. By the time it's overturned some construction will have begun, whereupon Trump can point to it and tell his followers that he built their wall. They are easily conned by theatrics.

More details on that lovely plan.
The White House is firming up plans to redirect unspent federal dollars as a way of funding President Donald Trump’s border wall without taking the dramatic step of invoking a national emergency.

Done by executive order, this plan would allow the White House to shift money from different budgetary accounts without congressional approval, circumventing Democrats who refuse to give Trump anything like the $5.7 billion he has demanded. Nor would it require a controversial emergency declaration.

The emerging consensus among acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and top budget officials is to shift money from two Army Corps of Engineers’ flood control projects in Northern California, as well as from disaster relief funds intended for California and Puerto Rico. The plan will also tap unspent Department of Defense funds for military construction, like family housing or infrastructure for military bases, according to three sources familiar with the negotiations.
:roll:
ya good luck with that. Newsom will fight that to the end. Trump is just mad because Newsom called him out in his State of the State address the other day, and we know how petty Trump gets when his little feelings gets hurt.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:15 pmThis is what happens when you put all your points into Charisma.
STR: 6
DEX: 4
CON: 7
INT: 4
WIS: 3
CHA: 12

Background: "Born into a wealthy family, this character's parents spent a fortune on having Kobolds imported for their son to kill by holding up a spear as they were pushed onto it. After decades of practice, he's gained a dozen levels and poured every skill point into Bluff..."

Special Note: The only PC to ever drive a Gibbering Mouther insane during a one-on-one debate.

If the US government was in D&D, I'd give him a CE alignment - and the Senate Republicans LE. Democrats would be somewhere in the CN range.
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'd give the majority of the dems CG.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Remus West wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:42 pm I'd give the majority of the dems CG.
Nope. A quarter of the dems are NG, a quarter are LG, and a quarter are CG, and that's the problem. The other quarter shift alignment so much that they're back to level 1.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

And so it begins:

Hodor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

:pop:

Dance, monkey, dance!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ha ha ha ha, CNN now reporting that Trump aides aren’t sure that Trump will sign spending bill. The Toddler strikes again.

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Are there enough votes to over ride a veto because that would trigger the best twitter tantrum of all time.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:52 pm Ha ha ha ha, CNN now reporting that Trump aides aren’t sure that Trump will sign spending bill. The Toddler strikes again.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Remus West wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:57 pm Are there enough votes to over ride a veto because that would trigger the best twitter tantrum of all time.
That's what I'm personally hoping for. He would lose his s$#%. Of course, the bigger question is whether enough Rs would stop supporting him long enough.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Trump’s bitch McConnell now says that Toddler will sign bill who will then declare national emergency.

What will the Toddler do in another 5 minutes... :think:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:52 pm Ha ha ha ha, CNN now reporting that Trump aides aren’t sure that Trump will sign spending bill. The Toddler strikes again.
This has been the case since the deal was announced. Nothing has changed, at least publicly.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:22 pm
This has been the case since the deal was announced. Nothing has changed, at least publicly.
Hey, don’t kill my outrage man. I’ve been waiting for the chance to use the Cape Fear gif. :naughty:

I do wonder what the over/under is on it being actually signed?
Black lives matter!

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If McConnell tells him to sign it, I expect him to sign it. Whether that happens or not I haven't a clue.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think it's finally gotten into Trump's skull that he can't get a wall via shutdown. But at the same time I suspect that the response from Coulter and the like has convinced him that he can't sweep it under the rug with his base via the "finish the wall" BS.

So it's national emergency time!
Last edited by El Guapo on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I received an alert from Radio Canada (CBC) that he was going to declare the emergency, they don't usually do that lightly (granted, it's a Canadian corp so who knows)
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isn't this essentially the same bill from day 1 of the shutdown? I'd call it a total waste but there has been a lot of ground gained by certain private interests during the shutdown so it was good for some.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:46 pm And so it begins:

They are loving the amount of power they have over the country.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Vorret wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:33 pm I received an alert from Radio Canada (CBC) that he was going to declare the emergency, they don't usually do that lightly (granted, it's a Canadian corp so who knows)
Trump will sign funding bill, declare national emergency, McConnell says.
President Donald Trump plans to sign a compromise border security measure in conjunction with declaring a national emergency to secure funding for a border wall, ending for now a bitter standoff with Congress over his signature campaign promise but likely sparking a new constitutional dispute.

The news of Trump's decision came via Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who said he would drop his opposition to the national emergency move in order to advance the government funding measure.

Speaking on the Senate floor Thursday, McConnell sought to reassure lawmakers unsure of the President's position before taking a vote on the plan, which falls short of providing the $5 billion in border wall funding Trump had demanded.

"He has indicated he is prepared to sign the bill. He will also be issuing a national emergency declaration at the same time," McConnell said. "I've indicated to him that I'm going to support the national emergency declaration. So for all of my colleagues, the President will sign the bill. We will be voting on it shortly."
Ah yes, that dire, critical, urgent national emergency that wasn't an emergency until Democrats took control of the house, and that he's be threatening to declare for 3 months now. :roll:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm sure Mitch doesn't love this plan. It's opening the door for the dems to turn around and do that with things that actually ARE an emergency. And this will get dragged in courts for ever and ever. So much winning.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

McConnell is circumventing the law with the law to get what he wants and is willing to use the executive branch emergency powers as a chip, changing the rules of the game forever?

Is it too much to play Gilbert Gottfried on a loop in this thread?

Also can anyone find the quote from McConnell? I really do hate our news to twitter reduction and have no faith in reporting.

Edit:

Found it in video form on CNN. Worst American in my lifetime....
Last edited by LordMortis on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well we all know that Mitch is an evil genius, so I'm sure he has a plan around this. My bet is that he doesn't give two craps if this gets stuck in courts as long as he can get the stopgap bill signed now.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Dear GOP: You knew he was a snake when you picked him up. :pop:

I love that this party now has to deal with the monster they've been coddling.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'll let Drumpf make my argument for me.

Orange Julius Caesar wrote: Repubs must not allow Pres Obama to subvert the Constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ Congress.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

There is always a tweet.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:33 pm There is always a tweet.
It's mind boggling really, every single thing he says has a tweet from Obama's time. Crazy.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:21 pm I'm sure Mitch doesn't love this plan. It's opening the door for the dems to turn around and do that with things that actually ARE an emergency. And this will get dragged in courts for ever and ever. So much winning.
I'm sure that it's not McConnell's first choice. However, I am also sure that he vastly prefers this to another shutdown.
Black Lives Matter.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'm afraid Trump might be being told, in regard to 2020, that he doesn't need to secure the porous border just yet if Mitch gets the dims to put on record their support for that ridiculous green new deal with the elimination of all fossil fuels, cows, airplanes, yada, yada, yada. :doh:
two months
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McConnell and Trump are going to feel pretty silly if they spend all their time demonizing the dims ahead of the 2020 election, only to discover at the last minute that they are instead running against the dems.
Black Lives Matter.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:29 pm McConnell and Trump are going to feel pretty silly if they spend all their time demonizing the dims ahead of the 2020 election, only to discover at the last minute that they are instead running against the dems.
Gonna pick Hillary again? If you don't she'll probably run as an independent as payback. :wink:
two months
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

em2nought wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:36 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:29 pm McConnell and Trump are going to feel pretty silly if they spend all their time demonizing the dims ahead of the 2020 election, only to discover at the last minute that they are instead running against the dems.
Gonna pick Hillary again? If you don't she'll probably run as an independent as payback. :wink:
I think you missed my clever joke.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:29 pmI love that this party now has to deal with the monster they've been coddling.
If I'm to believe internet policy scholars, if Trump invokes an emergency, Pelosi (he calls her Nancy) will require a Y/N vote of support for this action - in both the House and the Senate. Nothing would make me happier than to have these weasels on record for supporting funds being shuffled around for a goddamn wall.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 pm
YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:29 pmI love that this party now has to deal with the monster they've been coddling.
If I'm to believe internet policy scholars, if Trump invokes an emergency, Pelosi (he calls her Nancy) will require a Y/N vote of support for this action - in both the House and the Senate. Nothing would make me happier than to have these weasels on record for supporting funds being shuffled around for a goddamn wall.
I thought her name was McGill.